Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jonathan Joestar's stand is Anal Oppai, capable of creating little girls! Rank: E-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

FirstAidKite posted:

I never said he was any good to begin with :v:

Seriously, from this

to this

Jesus Christ araki :anime:

lmao Araki is cool. I love and want to marry him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pomp posted:

Jonathan Joestar's stand is Anal Oppai, capable of creating little girls! Rank: E-

The anime thread's having fun with that stand generator but it's pretty underwhelming.

Though it very nearly comes close to reality when you can get it to spit out references to dinosaurs.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

fatherboxx posted:

I thought Jojo had nothing else to amaze me with but then SBR dropped a Brewster's Millions-based stand on me.

While I love the setting and characters (some of the best human designs here), the fights in SBR so far have been really bad, save for Mandom and Scary Monsters - everything is solved by hurling Balls of Bullshit (or Meatspray of Bullshit) with little to none brainwork.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. It's still one of the best parts for characters and writing, and the stands owned, but I'm seriously having a hard time remembering a lot of the ways the battles were won. Plus "spin" was even more magical only-occasionally-consistent than "ripple", somehow.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

They were having way too much fun with this.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Orgia Carnaval posted:

They were having way too much fun with this.

Between this and "Amber waves of pain", I need to start using Valentine more often.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle/2300-8853/

Trigger warning: "bootleg Persona"

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
My favorite thing about that video is vinny freaking out about gyro's pizza mozzarella taunt.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Star Platinum posted:

Trigger warning: "bootleg Persona"

If anything their bare understanding of the series should make the video game better to watch.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I love that they notice all the characters in the first line have a whole bunch of Jo's in them but they don't realize that's because they're all JoJos.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
That reminds me of this article.
http://kotaku.com/5945151/run-over-people-with-cars-in-jojos-bizarre-adventure

quote:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle unleashes manga-inspired attacks, such as running over people with cars.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
I have no idea how many of you guys are tabletop/pen and paper players, but I've been working on a JoJo RPG for the past week or so. I'm just testing it to make sure Stands aren't broken (in the bad way) and then I'll see if there's interest in a playtest or something.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Volcano Style posted:

I have no idea how many of you guys are tabletop/pen and paper players, but I've been working on a JoJo RPG for the past week or so. I'm just testing it to make sure Stands aren't broken (in the bad way) and then I'll see if there's interest in a playtest or something.

I've been considering getting into tabletop. Playing with a lore/world set I'm already familiar with might make that easier.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Shadowrun 5E summon rules are really reminiscent of stands.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Volcano Style posted:

I don't see how the Time stop stands won't be completely broken. You just have to get within a few feet of someone, stop time, kill them.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Someone posted a FATE edit for JoJo a while ago in this thread, lemme find it.

e: Here it is! Thanks to the Mighty Dicktron for making it. I'm planning on running a campaign with it, the aspect system seems pretty fitting for JoJo.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

I don't see how the Time stop stands won't be completely broken. You just have to get within a few feet of someone, stop time, kill them.

So it's just like the actual series, then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yeah this whole thing was pretty much great.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I liked that they appreciated the exuberant style of JoJo, even if they didn't know anything at all about what the hell was going on.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Yeah this whole thing was pretty much great.

The realization that Johnny is paralyzed is AMAZING.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I just started Jojolion.
Does Gappy's social awkwardness ever go away?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not really, no.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

amuayse posted:

I just started Jojolion.

Kinda. It kinda becomes hard for him to be socially awkward when there are people trying to kill him all over the place (of course, that doesn't mean it goes away, but there are more important issues. Besides, some other characters are even worse at being creepy goons)

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

amuayse posted:

I just started Jojolion.

He loosens up when he gets pissed.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It was better when the series was focused on hot teen jugs instead of this mystery imo.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Volcano Style posted:

Count me in if you decide to run a playtest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Which series was considered the best, incidentally?

I'm rather fond of Diamond is Unbreakable myself. All of the characters in it are pretty great, even Kira, though he's disturbing as hell.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Stardust Crusaders is by far the most popular, and what people remember when they think of Jojo.

Though my favorite is Diamond is Unbreakable too.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Which series was considered the best, incidentally?

I'm rather fond of Diamond is Unbreakable myself. All of the characters in it are pretty great, even Kira, though he's disturbing as hell.

The favorite of the masses is Stardust Crusaders. Nowadays, a lot of the tropes it introduced have become played out, but it was a nice breath of fresh air to the genre at the time. The fan favorites amongst Western fans are Steel Ball Run and Diamond is Unbreakable, while the Japanese like Vento Aureo a lot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I'm another Diamond is Unbreakable fanboy. I feel like I would have enjoyed Stardust Crusaders alot more if I read it like a decade ago, too much anime and manga has taken stuff from it that it just didn't feel particularly groundbreaking reading it nowadays. It's still good though.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

SunAndSpring posted:

The fan favorites amongst Western fans are Steel Ball Run and Diamond is Unbreakable, while the Japanese like Vento Aureo a lot.

The fangirls do at least. Pretty boys will win you a lot of fujoshi clout, but it's usually all about Part 3 otherwise.

But around here it tends to be Parts 4 and 7. 7 is generally considered to be the most solidly written JoJo, but I've always preferred 4 because I think JoJo functions better as a setting than for plot.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Volcano Style posted:

Hey yo I'd definitely want in on this if scheduling works out.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think we can all agree that, while Part 6 isn't the best Jojo, it does contain the best Jojo.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I'm another Diamond is Unbreakable fanboy. I feel like I would have enjoyed Stardust Crusaders alot more if I read it like a decade ago, too much anime and manga has taken stuff from it that it just didn't feel particularly groundbreaking reading it nowadays. It's still good though.

No JoJo arc is bad, which is really amazing considering Araki has been at this for almost three decades.

And I think what adds to the charm of Diamond is Unbreakable is the Duwang translation that was the only one available for a while. It's so weird how everything can be so grammatically broken and yet still manage to retain the personality of the characters in the process.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I really like part 7 for really good character writing and an actually well written friendship between two male characters. Also for being a really nice breath of fresh air after how complicated part 6's stands were. Part 4 is totally great though and a really close second in my book.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

7 was really good, I felt some parts of the ending were Araki being mean for no reason, though. Lol, that kid Gyro was trying to help didn't get executed but he died of a cold shortly after. Owned.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 8, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

onepixeljumpman posted:

The fangirls do at least. Pretty boys will win you a lot of fujoshi clout, but it's usually all about Part 3 otherwise.

But around here it tends to be Parts 4 and 7. 7 is generally considered to be the most solidly written JoJo, but I've always preferred 4 because I think JoJo functions better as a setting than for plot.

Oh, so that's why I see so much fan-art of part 5. Should've guessed.

Anyway, I like parts 7, 4, and 2 the most. 8 is shaping up to be nice, although I'm dying having to wait a month for each issue after having binged my way through the rest of the series.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Volcano Style posted:

Doesn't Mage: the Awakening pretty much work as a JoJo game with a little houseruling?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Doesn't Mage: the Awakening pretty much work as a JoJo game with a little houseruling?

You think Mutants and Masterminds would work as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

7 was really good, I felt some parts of the ending were Araki being mean for no reason, though. Lol, that kid Gyro was trying to help didn't get executed but he died of a cold shortly after. Owned.

I actually always liked that little stinger at the end because I felt is summed up the whole journey well. Terrible things happen to good people, but it is important to keep moving forward and to grow from it. I'll agree with you that it is a downer, for sure though.

• Locked thread