Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'd never actually seen any of that, it's pretty good especially for what had to have been a pretty small budget. Some of the practical effects were a bit silly looking, but with an actual budget that could probably be fixed. Not that I expect it to ever happen, but still. Neat.

The CGI Frieza isn't terrible, at least. Looking forward to seeing that in action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wanna know what 17 and 18's real names were? Well, now you can!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Metal Loaf posted:

God I hope DBZA hears about this and does something with it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
After escaping justice for his many murders, 17 moved to Montana and became a lumberjack park ranger.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pierson posted:

After escaping justice for his many murders, 17 moved to Montana and became a lumberjack park ranger.

But I don't think he actually killed anyone in that timeline?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I always thought it was disappointing 17 never got revisited in the series. Guy was just so chill about everything, seemed pretty cool. His characterization on DB: Abridged is pretty much exactly what I expect him to be.

Not sure why the Androids were such dicks in Trunks' timeline.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I always thought it was disappointing 17 never got revisited in the series. Guy was just so chill about everything, seemed pretty cool. His characterization on DB: Abridged is pretty much exactly what I expect him to be.

Not sure why the Androids were such dicks in Trunks' timeline.

Dr. Gero finished their mindwipe or something.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Metal Loaf posted:

To expound on this a bit, there's more info he put forward.

Most interesting parts: Hercule's martial arts master was killed by Tao Pai-pai for making fun of his hairstyle. Buu is basically an Old One, not merely Bibidi's creation. Beerus was the one that sealed Old Kai.

Also 17 settling down with a family and having a semi-normal life is all kinds of :3:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty sure 17 had a little cameo in the manga as well when the Spirit Bomb was made against Majin Buu and he was like ah hell why not and rose his hand in the air.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

Pretty sure 17 had a little cameo in the manga as well when the Spirit Bomb was made against Majin Buu and he was like ah hell why not and rose his hand in the air.

In the anime he held some dude up at gunpoint to force him to give energy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Squallege posted:

In the anime he held some dude up at gunpoint to force him to give energy.

This is so awesome, I wish I watched the anime that far now.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Shindragon posted:

The strange thing about this is that he was one of those who rose his hand when he heard Goku's voice (which he never met, at least onscreen) but not when Vegeta asked for it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well that makes sense, Vegeta was a dick to 17 & 18

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bowmore posted:

Well that makes sense, Vegeta was a dick.

fixed that for you.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There are only two states of Vegeta, dick Vegeta and moustache Vegeta

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Petiso posted:

The strange thing about this is that he was one of those who rose his hand when he heard Goku's voice (which he never met, at least onscreen) but not when Vegeta asked for it.

They probably met off screen. Goku might have came back for tournaments when Goten was too young to remember, and the two sparred or something. I don't know about in the manga, but in the anime he says "I haven't heard that voice in a long time".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Seemed like he missed out on realizing #18 wasn't evil, but the androids did have a ton of data on Goku put into them.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

bowmore posted:

And, of course, their fusion: dick mustache Vegeta.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
One of the comments on that article suggests that #17 essentially became Mark Trail, which is such a wonderful idea that it makes me glad I got out of bed today to read it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This is so awesome, I wish I watched the anime that far now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xOna8uOZqg

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

WickedHate posted:

They probably met off screen. Goku might have came back for tournaments when Goten was too young to remember, and the two sparred or something. I don't know about in the manga, but in the anime he says "I haven't heard that voice in a long time".

You can only come back once and only for one day.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Didn't Grampa Gohan come back more than once or was Uranai Baba's tournament a one-time-only deal? I coulda sworn Grampa Gohan had more than that one appearance.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

a cartoon duck posted:

Didn't Grampa Gohan come back more than once or was Uranai Baba's tournament a one-time-only deal? I coulda sworn Grampa Gohan had more than that one appearance.

Uranai Baba, being a fortune teller, knew what day Goku would arrive and had Grampa Gohan there for that day.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bowmore posted:

Not anymore, really. Current family man Vegeta is the nicest guy in the series.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

He was in the very last episode or two when they were using a magic fan to put out a giant furnace to save the Ox King from a burning mountain.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Which was a filler arc, and the place where he appeared was part of the otherworld anyways.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Bansho Fan stuff at the end of Dragon Ball was all filler.

e;f,b.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I think the best filler episodes are the ones were the cast just hangs out and do normal things despite being weird and superhuman and alien and wacky. I mean, who DOESN'T love the "Goku and Piccolo Drive Cars" episode?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Brony Hunter posted:

I think the best filler episodes are the ones were the cast just hangs out and do normal things despite being weird and superhuman and alien and wacky. I mean, who DOESN'T love the "Goku and Piccolo Drive Cars" episode?
'Bitchin

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
From what I've seen of Dragon Ball Kai, I like it a lot better than the normal DBZ, but it is pretty sad that Goku and Piccolo driving a car is cut. Maybe somebody could list off some good episodes that aren't in Kai. It's mostly the fights in DBZ that drag on forever.

There's also like, the entirety of the Garlic Jr. saga.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Brony Hunter posted:

The episode single-handedly bought the entire concept of filler like thirty years of (grudging) acceptance.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Petiso posted:

Which was a filler arc, and the place where he appeared was part of the otherworld anyways.

Well, yes, but the question was about whether he had another appearance, not necessarily whether it was canon.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Coughing Hobo posted:

The episode single-handedly bought the entire concept of filler like thirty years of (grudging) acceptance.

Which got renewed another 10 years with the G8 Arc in One Piece.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, it was the filler arc I was thinking of when I thought of Grampa Gohan's second appearance. It haven't watched Dragon Ball since I was a kid but I do remember liking that filler arc if only it had Goku and Chichi actually do stuff together, I kinda missed that from DBZ.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I liked the filler where Goku sits on the egg and pretty much ditches his family. Then he shows up in all shucks fashion and his family, who was furious with him for missing something important that day, forgives him in classic 50s sitcom fashion.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Why didn't i watch DBZ Abridged sooner? :allears: This Frieza is so goddamned good.

I figure i really should watch the other saga's? After reading page 2 of this thread it was just too goddamned good to pass up on.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Thyrork posted:

Why didn't i watch DBZ Abridged sooner? :allears: This Frieza is so goddamned good.

I figure i really should watch the other saga's? After reading page 2 of this thread it was just too goddamned good to pass up on.

The Saiyan saga is alright but they didn't quite find their legs until the time Nappa and Vegeta show up. Android saga is currently awesome, imo, but Frieza's absence is definitely felt. DBZA Frieza is basically the best ever.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The Saiyan saga is alright but they didn't quite find their legs until the time Nappa and Vegeta show up.

I've found the Saiyan Saga to be kind of unbearable. The jokes are either just flat and unfunny or it's memebait catchphrase poo poo. Nappa was the worst, as evidenced by their self-aware joke in DBZ Kai Abridged where he says "I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say," because as bad as youtube comments are normally they're somehow made even worse when a video features a character like Nappa.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Right then, carry on after the freiza saga and dont look back! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think the Saiyan saga is that bad but it really only starts to hit its stride once the Saiyans show up on Earth and it starts going uphill from there. They get better once they stop trying to cram a joke in every second, basically, and start focusing on character-humor.

• Locked thread