Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
You guys MUST watch Clash of the Champions XXII. You will witness the greatest promo (Erik Watts) and vignette (Too Cold Scorpio) ever. And it's not even 20 minutes into the show yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

flashy_mcflash posted:

Please watch it, everyone, and school yourself on the greatest wrestling manager of our time.

As an oddly revelant aside: The kid from Extreme Rules is Jamison's son.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

So what's the difference between Clash of Champions and a regular WCW PPV?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

He's also the Play60 kid (who wants to become Cam Newton's mom's favorite player). As a Panthers fan, I got a big kick out of that when I found out.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Clash of the Champions was WCW's equivalent of the Saturday Night Main Event specials. It was on TBS instead of pay-per-view. I think the first one was counter-programmed against Wrestlemania.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Acrolos posted:

He's also the Play60 kid (who wants to become Cam Newton's mom's favorite player). As a Panthers fan, I got a big kick out of that when I found out.

source

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Here's an interview with Jameson on Wrestlecrap where he mentions it.

http://www.wrestlecrap.com/rants/jameson-answers-the-count-of-10/

This interview was from December, so no reference was made to the Wyatt thing, but I believe that's been verified at this point.

quote:

9. You told me about your son starring in a commercial with Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton for the NFL’s “Play60″ campaign, in which your son matter-of-factly tells Newton, “you can be my back-up.” Can you elaborate a little more about how your son got this opportunity, and describe your amazement at the success of the ad?

When my son was about 3, I could see he had a special talent. We would be at a sporting event or in a restaurant and everyone in our section knew him by the end of the night. He was funny and extremely smart with a big vocabulary. I called a casting director I knew from my days as an actor and asked her what I should do with him. She told me that I should get him into an audition class when he turned 5. I told her that this kid is ready now and she gave me the name of an instructor. The instructor explained that if directors are looking for a 3 year-old, they’ll hire a 5 year-old that looks 3. I begged her to let him in the class and she did. He was the only student that semester that was signed right out of the class by a manager, and he’s been working ever since.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 6, 2014

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Dimebags Brain posted:

Back when there were only 4-5 ppvs a year Clash was a "big match" atmosphere that pushed the big feuds along a few weeks before the ppvs. But yeah, it was WCW's answer to SNME but held mid week. It died off when Thunder came along.

Speaking of Clash, would doing a Clash type show exclusive to the network a couple times a year work for the network? With all this hope for War Games, but needing 2 rings to pull it off and tickets already being sold for a period into the summer. Could WWE sellout a War Games show with 6-8 weeks of ticket sales. Do a 2 ring show in say July, Do a Battle Bowl for a title shot at Summer Slam, toss in a couple undercard matches, say IC or US title match. Get something for Cena to do that night if he's not in the Battle Bowl. End it with Bryan/Shield vs Kane/Evolution. If that wouldn't get them a few dozen thousand stragglers to sign up I don't know what would. And they'd have to re-up by Wrestlemania.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking the kid looked like he was trying a legit thousand-yard stare and succeeding (that people were interpreting as him just being nervous) and now I'm starting to believe that. The fact that that's also the Play60 Kid AND Jameson's son though....:stare:

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Jubs posted:

You guys MUST watch Clash of the Champions XXII. You will witness the greatest promo (Erik Watts) and vignette (Too Cold Scorpio) ever. And it's not even 20 minutes into the show yet.

Put on Clash 12 by mistake, opened with Badstreet and Southern Boys. Everyone has confederate flags on! It's loving crazy to my Yankee rear end.

e: Erik Watts is wearing the most 1989 shirt ever in 1993. Boy, the south really is behind the times.

e2: 2 Cold just postarized that Bobby Hill lookin' kid real bad.

The American Dream fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 6, 2014

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The American Dream posted:

Back when there were only 4-5 ppvs a year Clash was a "big match" atmosphere that pushed the big feuds along a few weeks before the ppvs. But yeah, it was WCW's answer to SNME but held mid week. It died off when Thunder came along.

Speaking of Clash, would doing a Clash type show exclusive to the network a couple times a year work for the network? With all this hope for War Games, but needing 2 rings to pull it off and tickets already being sold for a period into the summer. Could WWE sellout a War Games show with 6-8 weeks of ticket sales. Do a 2 ring show in say July, Do a Battle Bowl for a title shot at Summer Slam, toss in a couple undercard matches, say IC or US title match. Get something for Cena to do that night if he's not in the Battle Bowl. End it with Bryan/Shield vs Kane/Evolution. If that wouldn't get them a few dozen thousand stragglers to sign up I don't know what would. And they'd have to re-up by Wrestlemania.

The Rise and Fall of WCW has Bischoff saying he phased out the Clashes in favour of PPV as soon as he took over because WWE was doing 12 PPVs a year at the time so why couldn't they? As for WWE reviving Clashes they had an NXT Clash of the Champions special one time because Trips is a WCW nerd, but the Network NXT specials probably put paid to that becoming a regular thing.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Oh yeah, Clashes were pointless once Thunder came along and not that important once they went to 12 ppvs a year. Back when it was Saturday Night and I guess Main Event was an important show at one point. I only remember it being Sunday night jobbers in the mid 90's. King of the Ring could be a cool network exclusive too that wouldn't need a ton of build but 8 of the top 12 guys wrestling 7 matches in one night would definitely attract some subs. Probably a good one for a couple weeks in after the first 6 months is up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

The Rise and Fall of WCW has Bischoff saying he phased out the Clashes in favour of PPV as soon as he took over because WWE was doing 12 PPVs a year at the time so why couldn't they? As for WWE reviving Clashes they had an NXT Clash of the Champions special one time because Trips is a WCW nerd, but the Network NXT specials probably put paid to that becoming a regular thing.

If he said that he's full of poo poo as always. WCW didn't expand to 12 PPVs until 1997, and they aggressively expanded their PPV to nearly monthly right before the WWF did. That documentary is horrible.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Holy poo poo, this is incredible. Jamison lives!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MassRafTer posted:

If he said that he's full of poo poo as always. WCW didn't expand to 12 PPVs until 1997, and they aggressively expanded their PPV to nearly monthly right before the WWF did. That documentary is horrible.

It's not even Bischoff, it's Mike Graham. Who claims to have suggested they go to universal, phase out the clashes, and sign Hogan.

So of course he's full of crap.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I just watched Flair/Funk from Clash 9 and am in the mood for more Flair. What are some good matches to start with? I've seen RR 1992, the Steamboat trilogy (so awesome) and the HBK/Flair retirement match at Mania.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

purkey posted:

I just watched Flair/Funk from Clash 9 and am in the mood for more Flair. What are some good matches to start with? I've seen RR 1992, the Steamboat trilogy (so awesome) and the HBK/Flair retirement match at Mania.

Flair/Sting from Clash 1
Flair/Luger from Starrcade 88
Flair/Vader from Starrcade 93
Flair/Windham from Crocket Cup 87

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

purkey posted:

Big Show/Flair on ECW was surprisingly good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CARop3RD6Gk

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

purkey posted:

To add stuff not already mentioned...

Flair vs Savage at WM 6
Flair vs Harley Race at Starrcade 83'

And for some more recent stuff...

Flair vs Edge in a ladder match on Raw
Flair vs Undertaker at WM X8 (it's ok and then someone shows up and causes me to pop every time I see it)
Flair vs HHH on Raw (wanna say this was around 03?)

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Put on Clash 12 by mistake, opened with Badstreet and Southern Boys. Everyone has confederate flags on! It's loving crazy to my Yankee rear end.

That's pretty much my reaction whenever I watch World Class. At least whenever Michael Hayes shows up in his Freebirds robe.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it was really nuts seein the freebirds cut a promo on king parsons & just being super racist. "hes a pretty good boy for a boy" what the heck

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

I am pretty sure there is at least 1 Clash or old NWA WCW PPV where there is a small group of Klans members in the crowd that you can see for a few seconds.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

That's pretty much my reaction whenever I watch World Class. At least whenever Michael Hayes shows up in his Freebirds robe.

Yeah but BOTH teams! Freebirds as heel with the face paint and flags makes total sense. But then the good guys coming out with a flag and the flags on their jackets. I mean, I always thought Tracy Smothers was from Nashville, Italy. Not the southern US.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

yea ok posted:

it was really nuts seein the freebirds cut a promo on king parsons & just being super racist. "hes a pretty good boy for a boy" what the heck

"HEY HBK I BET THE H STANDS FOR HOMO, AND TRIPLE H I BET YOUR H STANDS FOR HOMO. YOU TWO BAREBACKIN HOMOS."

--Bret Hart

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Mob posted:

"HEY HBK I BET THE H STANDS FOR HOMO, AND TRIPLE H I BET YOUR H STANDS FOR HOMO. YOU TWO BAREBACKIN HOMOS."

--Bret Hart

*Pretends to suck on a mighty big schlong*

--HBK

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Based on the suggestion to watch Flair/Funk at Clash of the Champions 9, I just decided to watch the entire thing. Man, the Freebirds looked awkward standing at the top of the stair case. They just did some kind of weird dance where they stood still and moved their arms for about 30 second, then just casually walked down the stairs.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

New episode of countdown has Vince declaring that he hates rich people.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Dimebags Brain posted:

But... I thought it's all about the monayyyyyy

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
He enjoys being rich, but he hates people that 'act' rich.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Also Randy Orton is the #2 villain of all time. loving LOL.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dimebags Brain posted:

I thought this was common knowledge. Wasn't the entire Hunter Hearst Helmsley gimmick a shot at his snooty neighbors?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rich parts of Connecticut are the kind of places where people actually make distinctions between "old money" and "new money", and Vince is decidedly new money.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

fatherdog posted:

Rich parts of Connecticut are the kind of places where people actually make distinctions between "old money" and "new money", and Vince is decidedly new money.

Yeah. He seems like he hates those that were born into money, rather than made it themselves.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Daniel Bryan posted:

He enjoys being rich, but he hates people that 'act' rich.

"If you sleep at all or don't eat a bottle of ketchup with every meal you're human garbage."

-Vince McMahon

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yeah. He seems like he hates those that were born into money, rather than made it themselves.

I think the term is born on third base and act like they hit a triple.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Commissar Ken posted:

Flair vs Undertaker at WM X8 (it's ok and then someone shows up and causes me to pop every time I see it)

Oh my god that moment. I'd go as far to say as it's the most 100% perfect spinebuster I've ever seen. Even Arn looks pleased with himself after it.

Plus JR absolutely LOSES HIS MIND and it's great :allears:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Oh my god that moment. I'd go as far to say as it's the most 100% perfect spinebuster I've ever seen. Even Arn looks pleased with himself after it.

I hadn't watched that match again since it aired for like 5 years and on the repeat viewing I lost my mind along with him cause I had totally forgotten about it.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

That spot is AMAZING. Just the mere fact of ARN ANDERSON OUTTA NOWHERE! is part of what makes it so awesome.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I maintain to this day that *that* should have ended the Streak. No better moment for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

its not even his finisher though