Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I vote for Stannis the Mantis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?

Hedrigall posted:

I vote for Stannis the Mantis!

This is beautiful. I think we just found our new ship name.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The Mantis B is definitely a ship. My first jump was an automated scout impossible to board effectively that also missled oxygen twice in a row, leaving my crew to die a gasping Mantis-y death while trying desperately to repair at half speed.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
One more vote for Engi A. All drones, all the time.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Engi A.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Engies are loving nerds and their ships suck.

Mantis 2014 let's go.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Might be mean next time and make you choose a Rock ship, since maaaaan Rock A is poo poo and getting the Rock B is hard.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

Mantis 2014 let's go.

I am a computer nerd and proud of it. :colbert:

Engi A for fun and relaxing option. Engi B for bullshit challenge option.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

You've suffered enough for now. Have some fun with Mantis B, and then we'll pick another torture option next time.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Yeah, okay, the Mantis B is seriously worth showing off. 4-man boarding is ridiculous when you don't get aced in the first few jumps by RNG insanity. You can be absolutely swimming in scrap - more than you know what to do with! - well before the final sectors. Set a new personal alpha strike throw weight record of 17 points (two Flak IIs, one Burst Laser II), and upgraded almost every system to max just because.

We can make you do Engie B after a relaxing murderrun.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Yeah, okay, the Mantis B is seriously worth showing off. 4-man boarding is ridiculous when you don't get aced in the first few jumps by RNG insanity. You can be absolutely swimming in scrap - more than you know what to do with! - well before the final sectors. Set a new personal alpha strike throw weight record of 17 points (two Flak IIs, one Burst Laser II), and upgraded almost every system to max just because.

We can make you do Engie B after a relaxing murderrun.

Is there even any way to get more than 17? I don't think there is unless it's possible to get two sets of dual lasers, but I've never gotten those except as starting weapons.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

psluuthor posted:

Is there even any way to get more than 17? I don't think there is unless it's possible to get two sets of dual lasers, but I've never gotten those except as starting weapons.

More than, say, 10 projectiles is overkill, so you'd be better off making up the additional with beam weapons, which have better damage:energy ratios. Flak II + Dual Lasers + Glaive Beam would probably be a better setup. Still, 17 projectiles is pretty loving awesome.

Too bad the Weapon Pre-Igniter doesn't apply to the Federation Cruiser's artillery weapons. You could be throwing 3 Flak IIs + whatever in your alpha strike with the Fed C!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

psluuthor posted:

Flak II, Flak II and Flak I/Burst Laser II on the Fed Cruiser C.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Flak II, Flak II and Flak I/Burst Laser II on the Fed Cruiser C.

My word. That's 24 shots. You can't get two Dual Lasers to replace the Flak I/BLII (they're starting weapons only), none of the two-power charge weapons can fire more than three shots, and you can't get Crystal Vengeance on anything but the Crystal ships, so... yeah, I think that's the absolute top bound on projectile count.

(Unless you'd be willing to factor in combat drone shots as part of your "volley", in which case +2.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mantis C

On Hard.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

More than, say, 10 projectiles is overkill, so you'd be better off making up the additional with beam weapons, which have better damage:energy ratios. Flak II + Dual Lasers + Glaive Beam would probably be a better setup. Still, 17 projectiles is pretty loving awesome.

True. I just tried out a run that was rough at first, but turned out extremely strong in the end: Flak II, Pike Beam, a double-shot Hull Laser, and an Ion Bomb. Picked up Weapon Pre-Igniter in sector 7 and got a perfect on the first two forms of the boss (took a bit of damage on the third though - the Zoltan Shield makes perfecting that form really hard).

I think the larger issue is that the ideal weapons suite early on, unless you get an early pre-igniter, is a bunch of burst lasers. They charge quick and are reliable, which allows you to neutralize a lot of early enemies without taking any damage. Winning fights without taking damage obviously means more scrap, so it's pretty much just better than long-charge weapons for most of the game. The Kestrel B is pretty much that philosophy taken to the extreme and it's a fantastic ship because of it.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

Corbeau posted:

True. I just tried out a run that was rough at first, but turned out extremely strong in the end: Flak II, Pike Beam, a double-shot Hull Laser, and an Ion Bomb. Picked up Weapon Pre-Igniter in sector 7 and got a perfect on the first two forms of the boss (took a bit of damage on the third though - the Zoltan Shield makes perfecting that form really hard).

I think the larger issue is that the ideal weapons suite early on, unless you get an early pre-igniter, is a bunch of burst lasers. They charge quick and are reliable, which allows you to neutralize a lot of early enemies without taking any damage. Winning fights without taking damage obviously means more scrap, so it's pretty much just better than long-charge weapons for most of the game. The Kestrel B is pretty much that philosophy taken to the extreme and it's a fantastic ship because of it.

Another reason that lasers are superior to beams early on is that they have a very good chance to hit when the enemy's engines aren't upgraded as much, so the beams guaranteed hits are less of an advantage. And the beams do less damage to individual systems, so they will often not be able to take down missiles or whatever is threatening to chip away at your hull during a particular encounter. But when the enemy ships start getting better engines and dodging half your laser shots, using strictly lasers basically just means they can get back up and running more quickly.

However, if you are focusing on boarding I think it still makes sense to load up on single target weapons, just because beams do so much indiscriminate damage. It's nice to be able to disable weapons and the medbay without destroying the ship in the process. Although obviously the fire beam is an exception.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Hey, guess which game Zero Punctuation did a not-so-retro review on this week. I think it's a fairly decent summation of what we've seen here, including the point somebody brought up about the rebels being the antagonists.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

HoneyBoy posted:

Mantis 2014 let's go.

I would be pretty upset myself if my biological race was Nerd.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Yapping Eevee posted:

Hey, guess which game Zero Punctuation did a not-so-retro review on this week. I think it's a fairly decent summation of what we've seen here, including the point somebody brought up about the rebels being the antagonists.

Have you also seen his poem from the rebel perspective? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi-VNkT57oE

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Hedrigall posted:

Have you also seen his poem from the rebel perspective? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi-VNkT57oE

Ohhh, I forgot about this. :allears: Thanks for reminding me about it, and for sharing it with the thread.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

I had not heard this before; truly this is beautiful art.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

I think it's safe to go ahead and close the voting, given the strong showing of support for Mantis B. Final results are as follows:

engi a- 6
engi b - 1
zoltan b - 2
fed c - 1
zoltan c - 2
mantis b - 14
mantis c - 2
crystal b - 1
slug b - 1

e: Bless you, goons. I finally get to play one of my favorite ships!

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 8, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

That was beautiful, in every way.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Momplestiltskin posted:

I think it's safe to go ahead and close the voting, given the strong showing of support for Mantis B. Final results are as follows:

engi a- 6
engi b - 1
zoltan b - 2
fed c - 1
zoltan c - 2
mantis b - 14
mantis c - 2
crystal b - 1
slug b - 1

e: Bless you, goons. I finally get to play one of my favorite ships!

You're welcome, the run after this will cripple you though, we'll make sure of that :v:

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Nalesh posted:

You're welcome, the run after this will cripple you though, we'll make sure of that :v:

My anus is puckered in anticipation.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
It better be that Engie B challenge run. More vent than a Metal Gear game.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Another Person posted:

It better be that Engie B challenge run. More vent than a Metal Gear game.

But far fewer boxes. Still, the stove challenge mission should be fun(ny) to watch.
Also would be another drinking game.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Update!

Season 2 Episode 4: "Living with Blades for Hands"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsYZTHEnIr4

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope you went with my ship name suggestion

edit: Aw man, you didn't :smith:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 12, 2014

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Something broke deep, deep inside me when you sold the Glaive beam. I'm watching without sound so I hope you were just constantly muttering "Please forgive me".

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Beamed posted:

Something broke deep, deep inside me when you sold the Glaive beam. I'm watching without sound so I hope you were just constantly muttering "Please forgive me".

After the Stealth B I don't even want to look at a Glaive Beam. Seriously though, it's not very versatile, and beam weapons are not that great when you are relying on boarding because they hit large areas and your boarders can get in the way. It is also worth a lot of scrap. I would sell a Glaive Beam 9 times out of 10.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I just reached the point where you renamed crew dudes, and I can already tell you failed my mini challenge. ;)

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Mehuyael posted:

Well, I just reached the point where you renamed crew dudes, and I can already tell you failed my mini challenge. ;)

It was for your own safety; if the mantises on board got wind that you were a lily-livered pacifist, they'd shut you out the airlock... if you were lucky. If you were unlucky, they'd rip you apart with their mandibles and feast upon your tasty flesh. It's kill or be killed aboard The Lovefriend!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Momplestiltskin posted:

It was for your own safety; if the mantises on board got wind that you were a lily-livered pacifist, they'd shut you out the airlock... if you were lucky. If you were unlucky, they'd rip you apart with their mandibles and feast upon your tasty flesh. It's kill or be killed aboard The Lovefriend!

Well, there's always another ship if my name comes up again.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
That weapon set-up, the ion bomb and the chain laser, is perfect for the "hold control while selecting a target to do the opposite of the main auto-fire toggle".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Major_JF posted:

That weapon set-up, the ion bomb and the chain laser, is perfect for the "hold control while selecting a target to do the opposite of the main auto-fire toggle".

This doesn't seem to work on OSX :(

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
In windows, all the buttons have hover text to tell you the hot keys. It might be something different in OSX.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Having just finished a Lanius A playthrough, the reconstructive teleport augment is AMAZING for boarders, especially if you have a clone bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Guitar_Hero posted:

Having just finished a Lanius A playthrough, the reconstructive teleport augment is AMAZING for boarders, especially if you have a clone bay.

It's especially amazing for Lanius, since you cannot kill them for fresh copies by venting their room.

• Locked thread