Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Oh I almost forgot, he said that they have so much MORE POWER. Yes, of course they do :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

1200 CC v twin vs an FZ6? No replacement for displacement.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/10/17/harley-davidson-xl1200c-sportster-1200-custom-middleweight-motorcycles/

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/2007-yamaha-fz6-ar15449.html

67hp in a 1200CC sportster vs 96 in my FZ6 - harley has more torque however.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's all? My Ulysses, which is sportster powered, puts out 103hp.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You just feel like you're accelerating way faster when you have gobbs of torque at lower rpms.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reminder!

V-twin powerband

I4 powerband

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

I was just remarking today how slow my 675 feels, which puts out 105hp. Power corrupts :(

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Sagebrush posted:

Reminder!

V-twin powerband

I4 powerband

Hahah thats perfect

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Safety Dance posted:

FZ6 has the '03 R6 engine tuned for mid-range. On the R6, it made 122hp with direct air induction and 115 without. The FZ6R uses the same engine and only puts out around 65hp.

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

Dellikose posted:

Just buy a second lotus...duh.

Four doors, for your convenience.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I was just remarking today how slow my 675 feels, which puts out 105hp. Power corrupts :(

Dat fairly linear power curve tho

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Voltage posted:

It's really hard to find riders who aren't biased - just ride and enjoy.

Because every rider in the world falls into one of two categories:

1. Idiots.
2. People who don't want to be 1.

Bias is unavoidable.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Slavvy posted:

Because every rider in the world falls into one of two categories:

1. Idiots.
2. People who don't want to be 1.

Bias is unavoidable.

It's crazy - I sometimes feel like CA is a super secret club with all the #2 cool riders only. It's so hard to talk to anyone about bikes :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Secretly, we're the worst of all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Voltage posted:

It's crazy - I sometimes feel like CA is a super secret club with all the #2 cool riders only. It's so hard to talk to anyone about bikes :(

Spiffness posted:

Both of these things are true. We're a self-regulating population that rapidly vomits out all the idiots; the mechanism for doing this is an overbearing, maddening attention to detail and lack of slack-cutting.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

Slavvy posted:

Both of these things are true. We're a self-regulating population that rapidly vomits out all the idiots; the mechanism for doing this is an overbearing, maddening attention to detail and lack of slack-cutting.

And let's not forget the public shaming.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Slavvy posted:

mguirk the jerk posted:

And let's not forget the public shaming.

Ignis aurum probat, motherfuckers :black101:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spiffness posted:

^ this

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Voltage posted:

Otoh it would probably be super comfortable to ride in flip flops and basketball shorts.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Spiffness posted:

Pretty sure the overall theme of CA could be summed up as "Do as I say, not as I do".

*hits triple digits every ride*
*just going down the street to the market*

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But you were ATGATT and wore a fullface and looked around really carefully beforehand and that's what matters.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

Pretty sure the overall theme of CA could be summed up as "Do as I say, not as I do".

*hits triple digits every ride*
*just going down the street to the market*

*hits triple digits every freeway on ramp while floating the front 1st to 3rd*
*backs it into the right hand turn at the bottom of off ramps*

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 7, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No joking, you could actually sum it up as 'There's a time and a place".

Now, technically that time and place is the weekend at the track, but not everyone can do that. Or we're just assholes.

So you gotta keep the hooligan donging to the places that minimize risk for you and others, and change your riding based on surroundings. I don't think I've ever 'raced' someone who wanted me too in the city cause that's when you get busted or have a dumbass accident. I tend to ride the country roads at a comfortable pace for myself and the surroundings without worrying about the speed limit.

And that all varies too. I know there are Cali people that keep it to those canyon roads cause they don't have houses and driveways and have commented how you could hit a car around there. That's true, you don't have to worry about people turning into or out of driveways on the canyon roads, but you also tend to have armco with a cliff behind it.

Safe riding is all about learning how to minimize your risk.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
My neighbor just got his first bike. It's a stretched/slammed CBR 929rr that somehow has a Hayabusa motor that says honda on the crankcase. Spoke to him a few times discussing bikes and such. Glanced over his bike and the rear sprocket is almost completely round, has a blown out shock in the rear, and has strapped his front forks for drag racing. He asked me if I had a trickle charger because his battery dies every few days if it's not started. I said no, but I have a jumper he could use, then he said "but I'd have to take the seat off". Then goes on about how it's too much work for all that. Im lucky he doesn't know about push starting, or else I would probably have to call an ambulance.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Have you considered moving to a different neighborhood

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ask him to leave you something nice.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Incursus posted:

Then goes on about how it's too much work for all that

If he thinks that is too much work, owning a bike is going to get reallllly expensive.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

Richard Bong posted:

If he thinks that is too much work, owning a bike is going to get reallllly expensive.

I also found out that it's fuel injected so it runs a little crappy until it properly warms up. So I been hearing this noise early in the morning on the weekends but I never bothered to wake up and check it out. Well Sunday I checked it out. It turns out that it's his bike. He revs the piss out of it, bouncing against the rev limiter to "warm it up". I figure the problem will work itself out shortly. Considering my neighborhood and his enthic back ground (black), I'm willing to bet he doesn't have insurance, so hes gonna be out of a bike soon anyways.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Incursus posted:

He revs the piss out of it, bouncing against the rev limiter to "warm it up".

:allears:

Incursus posted:

Considering his enthic back ground (black), I'm willing to bet he doesn't have insurance,

come on, dude.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

:allears:

come on, dude.

Nothing like some Harley rage to bring out the latent racism

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Incursus posted:

Considering my neighborhood and his enthic back ground (black), I'm willing to bet he doesn't have insurance, so hes gonna be out of a bike soon anyways.

What a stupid loving thing you just said

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If he got plates for it he probably had to get insurance.

If not, well

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Otoh it would probably be super comfortable to ride in flip flops and basketball shorts.

I've never understoof people who do that because engines are loving hot and gearshifters are hard bits of metal that occasionally like to snap down really loving hard if you're unsmooth. I'm not really ATGATT but even I make sure I've got long trousers and hefty footwear on when I'm on the bike because calf burns and broken toes are no loving fun at all.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Incursus posted:

Considering my neighborhood and his enthic back ground (black), I'm willing to bet he doesn't have insurance, so hes gonna be out of a bike soon anyways.

Overheard stupid motorcycle related poo poo thread.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

If not, well

Depends where you are registered. My dmv never asked me for proof of insurance or proof that I had it inspected, despite both being listed on the website.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If not, well

Californian here. I didn't need any insurance paperwork to transfer the title on my bike.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

petercodeine posted:

What a stupid loving thing you just said

No that's literally a thing in a lot of places. Most of them aren't places goons find themselves.

I had some black girl from up the road half-crash in my yard (I don't know how but she managed to fly into my driveway sideways and wind up with three wheels in the air - fortunately one was a drive wheel - on the edge of my driveway) and start sobbing and freaking out because "OH MY GOD I DON'T HAVE INSURANCE OH GOD PLEASE DON'T CALL THE POLICE I CAN'T LOSE MY CAR OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD I'LL FIND A WAY TO PAY YOU BACK IF I DAMAGED ANYTHING" for ten minutes straight before I could even get her calmed down enough to see if we could get it carefully unstuck.

Turned out the answer was yes, it was pretty easy to get unstuck, and no, she didn't hurt anything but my ears/her pride.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

No not having insurance isn't a black thing what the hell is wrong with you.

It's a poor/stupid people thing but conflating that with a person's skin color makes you racist thanks for playing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PCOS Bill posted:

No that's literally a thing in a lot of places. Most of them aren't places goons find themselves.

I had some black girl from up the road half-crash in my yard (I don't know how but she managed to fly into my driveway sideways and wind up with three wheels in the air - fortunately one was a drive wheel - on the edge of my driveway) and start sobbing and freaking out because "OH MY GOD I DON'T HAVE INSURANCE OH GOD PLEASE DON'T CALL THE POLICE I CAN'T LOSE MY CAR OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD I'LL FIND A WAY TO PAY YOU BACK IF I DAMAGED ANYTHING" for ten minutes straight before I could even get her calmed down enough to see if we could get it carefully unstuck.

Turned out the answer was yes, it was pretty easy to get unstuck, and no, she didn't hurt anything but my ears/her pride.

you met a black woman without insurance therefore the stereotype that black people don't have insurance and crash vehicles a lot is valid. What a stupid loving thing you just said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Jesus chaps. Once again this thread goes loving meta.

• Locked thread