Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mandalay posted:

You could call and complain? They're meant to be pretty durable, though on the other hand you did get maybe 800 uses out of it for like 25 bucks.

I think I got my moneys worth out of it so no need to complain.

AriTheDog posted:

For you guys who love the Aeropress and use it regularly, what's the appeal? Cheap espresso-like beverage? I have one and I mostly drink pour over drip, and I haven't been able to make a cup with the Aeropress that's anything close to espresso in terms of intensity of flavor or body to make it anything more than a novelty. Am I just bad at the Aeropress, or am I missing something?

It makes a nice rich cup of coffee fast without needing a paper filter (with my metal disk filter). Aeropress is nothing like espresso despite what the packaging may say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AriTheDog posted:

For you guys who love the Aeropress and use it regularly, what's the appeal? Cheap espresso-like beverage? I have one and I mostly drink pour over drip, and I haven't been able to make a cup with the Aeropress that's anything close to espresso in terms of intensity of flavor or body to make it anything more than a novelty. Am I just bad at the Aeropress, or am I missing something?

It's not supposed to be like espresso and if you go into it thinking it will be, you're just going to be let down. It's just strong coffee. You'll never get anything like espresso over something you just do a direct plunge with, there just isn't enough pressure. There are some hand powered espresso makers, like the Rok mentioned above, but they all use some sort of gearing or pressure building mechanism to aid in the process.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

welp, i'm officially one of those awful nerds who roasts their own coffee. this was way easier than i thought it would be and i feel like an idiot for ever having bought preroasted coffee. we'll see what it tastes like on Thursday.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

rockcity posted:

It's not supposed to be like espresso and if you go into it thinking it will be, you're just going to be let down. It's just strong coffee. You'll never get anything like espresso over something you just do a direct plunge with, there just isn't enough pressure. There are some hand powered espresso makers, like the Rok mentioned above, but they all use some sort of gearing or pressure building mechanism to aid in the process.

Yeah, I get that it's not supposed to be espresso. I'll experiment a little with the stainless filter and Americanos and see if I can enjoy it more.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

dik-dik posted:

welp, i'm officially one of those awful nerds who roasts their own coffee. this was way easier than i thought it would be and i feel like an idiot for ever having bought preroasted coffee. we'll see what it tastes like on Thursday.

I just got a Poppery for roasting. Roasting your own stuff is awesome (and fun)!

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

script kitty posted:

I just got a Poppery for roasting. Roasting your own stuff is awesome (and fun)!

Not at all related to that, but I did wind up getting a Woodneck. I was using about every other day, but then I went for maybe a week without it, and now the filter has some blue-ish spots on it. Has this happened to you? I know I can just order some more filters, but I was wondering if you'd dealt with this.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

script kitty posted:

What up popcorn buddy. I ended up going with an Air Crazy because I'm too lazy for the HGDB and I'm about to move to an apartment that doesn't really have a good place to roast outside.

I did two roasts, a guatamalan and a colombian, and both roasts came out pretty evenly, but I stopped the first one too early and then had to start it again to get it to an even city roast. Luckily, I didn't notice much/any smoke. And the air coming out of these valve bags smells loving amazing.

Any tips on figuring out when the first crack has ended/is ending? The Air Crazy is loud as gently caress.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 7, 2014

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

becoming posted:

Not at all related to that, but I did wind up getting a Woodneck. I was using about every other day, but then I went for maybe a week without it, and now the filter has some blue-ish spots on it. Has this happened to you? I know I can just order some more filters, but I was wondering if you'd dealt with this.

No, this definitely has not happened to me. Sounds like you got mold :( Might want to get a replacement. I keep mine damp wrapped in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator and haven't had any issues even if I haven't used it for a few days. I occasionally clean it out with soap, but that's it.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
I think this morning I made my first cup of coffee that actually smelled a bit like the packaging promised -- cinnamon. Or I could have been imagining things. virtuoso #22, 18g victrola beans, 310ml water, wave 155, 199f, 30 second bloom, 2m 45s total pour. Too bad the acidity kicks you in the nuts with each sip.

oh, beans are: Guatemala Huehuetenango - El Bosque Microlot

Bronze fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 8, 2014

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

script kitty posted:

No, this definitely has not happened to me. Sounds like you got mold :( Might want to get a replacement. I keep mine damp wrapped in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator and haven't had any issues even if I haven't used it for a few days. I occasionally clean it out with soap, but that's it.

Yeah, that was my first guess, but it really didn't look like mold. Almost like it got dyed a little bit. I boiled the filter for about ten minutes and 95% of it came off. Not that I'm going to re-use that filter (I have three more on the way, not worth it to risk my health), but I am going to keep it as a science experiment.

I have read that some folks boil their cloth filters after each use, to sterilize them and keep anything from growing. This isn't a huge pain in the rear end, but pretty much relegates it to weekends/lazy mornings only. I'm undecided as to whether I'll take that habit up - or maybe I'll just scrub it with soap every week or so.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What's the appeal of cloth filters over paper? Is it mostly just that it's reusable or does it have other benefits as well?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

dik-dik posted:

What's the appeal of cloth filters over paper? Is it mostly just that it's reusable or does it have other benefits as well?

I've heard people claim that it taste different, but can't really tell you firsthand.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

dik-dik posted:

No paper taste, reusable, super-clean cup. You taste the coffee, and that is it. I really just wanted a Woodneck because it's sexy, and script kitty did not talk me out of it when I asked about it a month or two ago, so I went for it. It quickly became one of my favorite ways to brew because of the time the process takes. It slows me down, and I enjoy that. It's methodical. It helps that the Woodneck makes loving amazing coffee, of course.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure a hazed/cracking Aeropress and/or plastic V60 are from using boiling water.

My mother ruins both of hers every couple years because she is impatient and I buy her more of them

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I was running low on coffee today and decided I'd try a roaster aside from Intelligensia, so I ordered a couple of things from Four Barrel. I was telling my wife how expensive it was for two 12 oz bags of coffee, and she mentioned that I'd talked about trying to roast my own periodically over the last couple of years.

So now I've got two bags of Four Barrel coffee coming, along with a dog bowl, heat gun, and sampler pack from Sweet Maria's.

I'm so excited :dance:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What did you buy? I've tried everything from Four Barrel, and they are served in many restaurants and cafes around here.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm pretty sure a hazed/cracking Aeropress and/or plastic V60 are from using boiling water.

My mother ruins both of hers every couple years because she is impatient and I buy her more of them

I've found that the Aeropress really shines when you use water at 80 degrees rather than the usual 90 degrees so putting boiling water in it is just another level of no why are you doing that

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

What did you buy? I've tried everything from Four Barrel, and they are served in many restaurants and cafes around here.

I got the Sumatra Tano Batak and Columbia Andino.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I've been roasting with a stove top popcorn popper for a few months now, but today I got a Fresh Roast SR500 for my birthday! :toot: Does anyone have experience with one of these?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

So Math posted:

I've been roasting with a stove top popcorn popper for a few months now, but today I got a Fresh Roast SR500 for my birthday! :toot: Does anyone have experience with one of these?

I have one and use it all the time. The biggest and best piece of advice I can give is keep your batch small, no more than half a cup of beans max, 1/3 cup is better. Start your roast on low for a minute at full fan speed then hit the cool button and let that go for 30 seconds. Then turn it to medium and kick the fan speed down to like 80%. Let that go until you reach your desired roast then hit the cool button. I then throw the beans in a colander to shake off the extra chaff and finish cooling.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So Math posted:

Hey that's my birthday present too! :toot: In a couple weeks anyways. Sweet Maria's as usual has a bunch of tips on ways to get a nice even roast out of it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Question about home roasting: what do you guys think of roasting on a grill using an aluminum pan? Think of the disposable pan you get fajitas or pasta in. I figure no hotspots, easy to stir the beans, and those containers are cheap as hell and (obviously) disposable. Plus I figure I'd be able to hear first and second crack pretty easily.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Nostratic posted:

Question about home roasting: what do you guys think of roasting on a grill using an aluminum pan? Think of the disposable pan you get fajitas or pasta in. I figure no hotspots, easy to stir the beans, and those containers are cheap as hell and (obviously) disposable. Plus I figure I'd be able to hear first and second crack pretty easily.

Give it a shot. I've read about plenty of grill top methods online that seem to work well. Also if you already have a grill you've got nothing to lose.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostratic posted:

Make sure to keep agitating the beans because something that thin will get hot really fast.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

going from homeroasted Kenya AA brewed in an Aeropress for first cup, to lovely folgers control room coffee in second cup is an assault to my senses

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I went from fresh locally roasted coffee to instant for a couple of weeks. On purpose. I had a weird, weird craving for it.

I won't be doing that again any time soon.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Some days I wonder if driving 15 minutes to a coffee store near De Anza College in Cupertino for beans is worth the drive. Some days I wonder if it's really worth ten whole minutes a day preparing my coffee when I could just shove my cup under the Keurig spout in my office and get coffee in 30 seconds. Some days I wonder if I really want to drop $229 on a new Baratza Virtuoso instead of just pressing down the pot of Peet's at work.

Then I try the Keurig and Peet's for shits and giggles and oh god this isn't coffee.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I just received an Aeropress as a late birthday present. Anything I should know except that the guy who made it is completely wrong, and that it doesn't make espresso?

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

TheDarkFlame posted:

I just received an Aeropress as a late birthday present. Anything I should know except that the guy who made it is completely wrong, and that it doesn't make espresso?

Google for the inverted method since it makes better coffee, but there are loads of variations on that too. It makes great coffee though so enjoy!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like using the Aeropress with the Able metal disk. It tastes like a full bodied french press with almost no grit.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I like using the Aeropress with the Able metal disk. It tastes like a full bodied french press with almost no grit.

Do you use the regular disk, or fine? I ordered both from Able, expect them in the next day or so, and very much looking forward to them after falling in love with my AeroPress again.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
I bought the S-Filter a while back and I'm not sure if I should have bought the Able one instead. It seems to work fine, although I do get a bit of fine sediment. Maybe I need to up the coarseness of grind a bit.

It's a bit dirty here, sorry y'all. Does anyone know if this one was the crappy wrong kind to buy and I should get the Able brand instead?

Also, becoming, I tried one of your cold brew recipes and really enjoyed it. Gonna make it this weekend for a good friend. I have a question about infusing, let's say, vodka, with a nice coffee flavor. Would you say I should use the same cold brew method with vodka to give it a strong coffee flavor or do you have any better suggestions on how to do that?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

becoming posted:

Do you use the regular disk, or fine? I ordered both from Able, expect them in the next day or so, and very much looking forward to them after falling in love with my AeroPress again.

I have the fine. It's supposedly thinner as well so the cap goes on easier.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Does this coffee look normal?

This is the free coffee at work. Is that coffee oil or soap?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

It looks like coffee oils. Soap would have an unmistakable flavor.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

It's pretty lovely coffee, so it's hard to tell.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

script kitty posted:

Also, becoming, I tried one of your cold brew recipes and really enjoyed it. Gonna make it this weekend for a good friend. I have a question about infusing, let's say, vodka, with a nice coffee flavor. Would you say I should use the same cold brew method with vodka to give it a strong coffee flavor or do you have any better suggestions on how to do that?

Haven't done it so I can't say from experience, but I'd start with a 1:1 vodka:coffee of the 8:1 brew and go from there. Make your sample small, since you may be testing several and you probably don't want to be trashed when you're actually trying to figure out a good-tasting mixture. Anyway, 1:1 with the 8:1 is going to be a pretty strong coffee-wise, maybe not so much "infused with a nice coffee flavor" and more "strong coffee that will also get you drunk". Yeah, on second thought, I'd go for more like 10:1 vodka:coffee and see how that suits you. Small samples! You might want to be using a dropper for this. 15ml vodka, 1.5ml concentrate would be a good starting point, I think. Let me know how this goes, because my wife loves flavored vodka and coffee and once she's no longer nursing our infant, this sounds like a fantastic idea.

Mu Zeta posted:

I have the fine. It's supposedly thinner as well so the cap goes on easier.

You're grinding with an Encore, right? How do you grind for the disk vs the paper filters? As in, "14 for paper but 16 for disk". Or do you grind the same? Just looking to have a starting point for once mine show up.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Does this coffee look normal?

This is the free coffee at work. Is that coffee oil or soap?

I will be contrary and say that I actually think it looks like soap. In my experience, coffee oils tend to look like little blobs of oil floating on the surface. (It strikes me that perhaps that is not descriptive enough; This image shows what I mean.)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

becoming posted:

I will be contrary and say that I actually think it looks like soap. In my experience, coffee oils tend to look like little blobs of oil floating on the surface. (It strikes me that perhaps that is not descriptive enough; This image shows what I mean.)

Seconding this. Newly-poured coffee shouldn't have that kind of sheen. It might be coffee oil if the cup had been standing undisturbed all day.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

For the Able Disk I grind the same as a V60 pour over. I also do inverted and let it steep for 2 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That is neither coffee oil nor soap, it is Synergoil, a synthetic ingredient added to the coffees served in Flavia and Keurig machines as well as certain Starbucks blends and other coffees common in corporate environments, it is a new kind of MAOI inhibitor that helps people deal with fluorescent lighting, cubicles, and even open office plans by tricking the brain into believing these are elements of a more natural environment.