Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

jadebullet posted:

Well after a little over two weeks I am finally finished with my Imperial Knight Titan. It is a freeblade Knight called "The Knight Repentant" who fought in the defense of Imperial Forces on Vali IV. The Knight is on a Penance crusade after failing an oath.

As always questions, comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. Overall it was a very fun model to paint and build. I especially enjoyed making sure that each moving part had an ample supply of grease painted onto it. A special thanks to Buffalochicken for the extra skeletal aquila transfers.

This looks amazing.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

The more I read this, the more confused I get. I think I need a lie down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

apparently no one else has ever heard of the internet

Apollodorus posted:

What the hell does this even mean?

PeterWeller posted:

Did you have a stroke? Do we need to call an ambulance?

Squifferific posted:

The more I read this, the more confused I get. I think I need a lie down.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

field balm posted:

Give the red along the trim another coat. I've been using a similar orange on my marines and its annoying but it looks way better with 2/3 coats. Are these iron eagles or a homebrew chapter? The paint scheme is nice.

Also commented on that knight in the other thread, but it rules. The silver is so bright and crisp, looks fresh from mars!

They're homebrew, but apparently the scheme is really close to a GW chapter (Doom Eagles) :v: Sergeant and plasma gunner were done slow to get back into painting, and the other 4 were done as a warm up for speed painting 4 more tomorrow for the oath thread :getin:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Apparently all this talk of 7th edition has finally claimed it's first victim. The book will be displayed in a non euclidean geometry and you will have already read it.

Apparently the latest rumour about Battle Forged is that you can take as many detachments as you like and still get an army wide bonus. This implies Unbound will be restricted maybe.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 7, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PeterWeller posted:

Did you have a stroke? Do we need to call an ambulance?

It took me a while to parse exactly where the game stores were moving to.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Honestly the more I think about unbound the more fun it kind of seems to run. I mean that was basically 2nd edition which really didn't have a FOC at all.

I mean you can totally run a First Company of all Terminators and such with Unbound etc.. which honestly could be really fun.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

twistedmentat posted:

Unbound, I am going to be such an rear end in a top hat to people. Oh you brought 7 Wraithknights? Why are 4 of them not wraithknight models. Sorry if you're going to play Unbound, no proxies. They could make it so you have a huge disadvantage in playing it, and players who take FOC proper armies get huge bonuses like apoc stratagy cards out the rear end.

I'm pretty much the exact opposite--if, God forbid, I were in the mood to play someone with the 7 wraithknight mentality or if we could work something out, I'd loving high five them for not swallowing GW's cash grab to the tune of the extra $400.

Assuming the proxies were reasonable, that is. If they were just, like, empty bases, maybe not.

Hollismason posted:

Honestly the more I think about unbound the more fun it kind of seems to run. I mean that was basically 2nd edition which really didn't have a FOC at all.

I mean you can totally run a First Company of all Terminators and such with Unbound etc.. which honestly could be really fun.

Yeah, it really could be! Thing is though that you've always been able to houserule that with cool people if you wanted to play that kind of game. Having it codified in rules doesn't give that much of a benefit to the laid-back crowd, and it does give grognards something to stab their chubby fingers at while protesting that they can totally run their 1500 points of cheese, it's in the rules now man.

Yes you can still walk away from that guy and you always could have, but it's not a net change for the better is what I'm saying.

That said, I'll be more than willing to admit I was wrong if 7E cames out and it turns out GW expertly tuned battleforged and unbound to be balanced with each other.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 7, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's been posted in the thread but apparently there's a very nice Gundam model that makes the perfect Wraithknight and is rather inexpensive.

I finally got a actual game in the other day with someone that wasn't Vassal, and played my (still unpainted god i don't have time) Necrons 1000 points against a guy playing with some sort of Judge Dredd maybe figures. They were not GW figures at all but they were cool looking, maybe it was pig iron. Anyway he was playing Imperial Guard and straight up just had WW2 Model Tanks he'd kitbashed into being a leman russ and some chimeras.

I'm totally cool with Non GW models as long as you tell me what they are and the size is right. Though his tanks were either a little to small or a little to big marginally.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

ghetto wormhole posted:

Perhaps $40 worth of plastic jungle plants was a bit too much...

Get cracking! Just get a sheet of thin mdf, cut it into irregular shapes with good garden shears, sand the edges down, and cover them with rocks and plants. You'll have a full jungle in no time. I use clay or tinfoil in blobs on the terrain so the ground looks more uneven - I always thought the flat look with sand wasn't too visually interesting. The ones below are just on wood circles I got in a bag at a craft store for a few dollars.

I also scatter toy Playmobil trees around to give some height.

jadebullet posted:

A special thanks to Buffalochicken for the extra skeletal aquila transfers.

Looks like they went to great use - awesome Knight! One bit of advice is to hit the rivets with a drop of wash, and maybe some select other areas (like the groove around the battle cannon). Also, is the base going to get some more detail?

Anyhow, looks fantastic. Thanks for posting pictures!

EDIT: Fix, clear your inbox. :argh:

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 7, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nice burn I guess :confused:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, I will be adding more to the base once I get my basing materials out of storage. Yeah, I will hit the rivets with wash.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
A friend and I are playing our first game of 40k tomorrow. I've read the rules and watched hours upon hours of battle reports, he's going in to this completely blind. Any advice on game size/missions/rules we can ignore at first?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

A friend and I are playing our first game of 40k tomorrow. I've read the rules and watched hours upon hours of battle reports, he's going in to this completely blind. Any advice on game size/missions/rules we can ignore at first?

I'd say play Purge the Alien at like 750-1000 pts. Purge is straight up destroy your opponent, no objectives to hold or be concerned about. 750-1000 is a good level for every codex to function at; 500 can be overly restrictive and a bit imbalanced and higher than 1000 can be a lot for new players.

Otherwise just go slow, follow the book guidelines and expect to take a few hours and make A LOT of mistakes. I wouldn't ignore or leave out anything really as you'll end up creating bad habits like always forgetting to roll for Night Fighting, forgetting to roll for Deny the Witch, etc.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 7, 2014

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Pacheeco posted:

Otherwise just go slow, follow the book guidelines and expect to take a few hours and make A LOT of mistakes. I wouldn't ignore or leave out anything really as you'll end up creating bad habits like always forgetting to roll for Night Fighting, forgetting to roll for Deny the Witch, etc.

Solid advice right here. I restarted this hobby near the end of 5th edition and I still forget to roll for night fighting almost every time because I didn't use it when 6th first dropped. Take it one step at a time but try not to skip over anything because you plan to go back later, you might forget it completely.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Also help each other. The games I've had the most fun with are usually ones where I bring in an RPG attitude rather than a Warmachine or Dominoes attitude.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Get cutthroat. Talk poo poo the whole time while you make sure they're miserable. Hixson and I've been playing like this for several years.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
If you're not flipping the double bird and screaming "HAVE A hosed ONE, DICKHEAD!!" after every below average roll, well, it just isn't 40k.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Bring Sugar Cubes lot's of sugar cubes Extra Large, Paint Pips on them. Fail a Roll, Eat your Dice.

Every time you go to roll your dice shake them up and and down in front of your crotch.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Bring Sugar Cubes lot's of sugar cubes Extra Large, Paint Pips on them. Fail a Roll, Eat your Dice.

Every time you go to roll your dice shake them up and and down in front of your crotch.

This only really works if you and your opponent have diabetes.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Or if you want it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Roll dice individually, and if you have a few successively bad rolls, mutter about how the dice are unlucky and get a new set from your bag.

To this day I think I was being Wardolls Punk'd.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

gently caress yeah, this is beautiful. You're making my pants wet.
Can't wait to get a big dude of my own.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Hollismason posted:

It's been posted in the thread but apparently there's a very nice Gundam model that makes the perfect Wraithknight and is rather inexpensive.

I finally got a actual game in the other day with someone that wasn't Vassal, and played my (still unpainted god i don't have time) Necrons 1000 points against a guy playing with some sort of Judge Dredd maybe figures. They were not GW figures at all but they were cool looking, maybe it was pig iron. Anyway he was playing Imperial Guard and straight up just had WW2 Model Tanks he'd kitbashed into being a leman russ and some chimeras.

I'm totally cool with Non GW models as long as you tell me what they are and the size is right. Though his tanks were either a little to small or a little to big marginally.

Any master grade gundam kit will sit at around 7.5-8 inches, which is good for a wraithknight, and will cost about $40-50 with shipping. Order them from the right places and you can get some of the older ones for $30 with shipping.
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...0%24pagecnt%3D2

Some of them, like the Sazabi at around $75-80 will hit 9 inches. Then you've got the 1/60 scale Perfect Grade stuff at over a foot and around $150 for the cheaper ones which are big enough to sub in for smaller titans, and often include wiring for setting up LEDs in them. There's also the 1/144 Psyco Gundam which is a little over 11 inches tall that you can pick up for around $50. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10038445

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 7, 2014

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

panascope posted:

Get cutthroat. Talk poo poo the whole time while you make sure they're miserable. Hixson and I've been playing like this for several years.

I was playing a kid at the game store and the first time he rolled for a plasmagun shot and I reflexively yelled "get hot, motherfucker!" he did, and he failed his save. I almost felt bad.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

koreban posted:

I was playing a kid at the game store and the first time he rolled for a plasmagun shot and I reflexively yelled "get hot, motherfucker!" he did, and he failed his save. I almost felt bad.

The operative word being almost.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

Roll dice individually, and if you have a few successively bad rolls, mutter about how the dice are unlucky and get a new set from your bag.

To this day I think I was being Wardolls Punk'd.
There is magic in rolling dice one at a time, I swear to all things holy. (Take your pick, really.) My buddy is the worst at this - if he rolls seven 3+ saves at once on his HQ, he'll take three wounds and lose the model. But if he rolls them one at a time, he will never fail a save. Ever. Swap his dice, make him roll with yours, make him hurl the dice across the table - as long as it is one die at a time, I swear he is nigh-invincible.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Alright, this is all solid advice. At what point in the game should I start throwing metal Dreadnought models at my opponent?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The first time they bend forward to collect their dice, twat them upside the head with it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
3hrs later, I'm about halfway done

gently caress cleaning mold lines on forgeworld poo poo

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that is a lot of breacher squads

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

BULBASAUR posted:

drat, man. I must've lucked out on my mk3 iron armor bros, because other than the torsos, there weren't really any mold lines to clean at all.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

BULBASAUR posted:

3hrs later, I'm about halfway done

Oh hey, looks like pixie dust. I bet it's safe.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So I was just like curious after I had posted that thing about sugar cube dice and was like you know I bet someone makes edible dice.

http://www.marzipanworld.com/acatalog/Marzipan_Dice.html

http://www.candywarehouse.com/products/red-gummy-dice-candy-430-piece-case/

Edible dice.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 7, 2014

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
All dice are edible if you are pissed off enough at them.

But that would make for an awesome prank to roll them until you loose something big and you (fake) freak out and just start chewing on them. If you got ~10-15 bux to blow on a shallow one-time prank that is.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I played a game at a tournament against a kid who not only rolled his dice one at a time, but rolled them by slowly rubbing his hands together with the dice in question between his hands. He'd rub his hands and then drop them one at a time, whether it was 2 armor saves or 30 shoota boy shots. He also spoke very quietly, had a bad cold, was blowing his nose constantly, and rubbed his germy hands all over his dice, models, sleeves, and everything else.

Why yes I did get sick why do you ask

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

chutche2 posted:

Oh hey, looks like pixie dust. I bet it's safe.

If you snort a line of resin you get high as gently caress(and die).

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
How do you guys paint lenses, like sniper rifles and binoculars?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
People who roll dice one at a time when not required to are literal monsters.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

chutche2 posted:

How do you guys paint lenses, like sniper rifles and binoculars?
Mine isn't the best or most detailed method, but it's easy and gets decent results without much effort or many colors of paint. Basically you'll need a base color, one for most of the gem, two highlights for that, and white. Let's look at this sergeant I painted:

The gem on his chest was a basecoat of Mephiston Red. I painted the whole thing except for the very top right corner of it with Evil Sunz Scarlet. I then painted the bottom half or so slanted downward in Wild Rider Red, and then did a final edge highlight with Fire Dragon Bright and a pure white dot on the area I'd previously left Mephiston Red.

The eyes are a Caliban Green basecoat, then painted Warboss Green while leaving the back (outside) edges in the darker green. I did a dot on the inside edge with Snikrot Green, and then a dot of pure white on the back corner.

You can see gems pretty well (with a fairly clear divide of which color goes where) on Tigurius here:

You can glosscoat said gems if you want. Better painters than I would blend the gems probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Oh wow, nice. Thanks.

• Locked thread