Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

QuarkMartial posted:

Sweet. As far as charging goes, I'd always heard that, too... but then I've also heard that even on a trickle charge it'll slowly kill off the batteries. I dunno, maybe batteries in general are all a losing game?

I left a battery on the charger once and it was ruined. In my mind it's easy enough to take it off and store it in the house that I do it to save the eventual the cost of replacing the batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I want the 13 drawer hf tool chest but I want it to be shorter so it will fit under my workbench in my garage.
Does anyone have any experience with swapping the casters for smaller ones? How much harder will it be to roll assuming I never get close to the ton it's rated at?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

melon cat posted:

I was on the fence about Ryobi, but after hearing a story like this from a poster as helpful as yourself it's definitely made any future buying decisions a lot easier.

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, I've had no desire to buy Ryobi after hearing what he's said. It makes a definite difference!
Do everyone a favour and write to Ryobi telling them this.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I've heard that the battery chargers that tell you when they're done charging can keep batteries connected indefinitely because they shut themselves off when they're done. The ones that just have an idiot light to tell you there is a battery connected will fry your battery though (which will then destroy the charger. Ask me how I know that.)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Do you have a hammer-actuated impact driver, a decent breaker bar, some Plusgas, Loctite "lipsticks" of locking compound and a good inspection lamp?

I have a discount thing for Machine Mart this weekend. Need to sort out a shopping list myself.

Yes, yes, if you recommend it I'll get it, blue so I'll get some red, and yes.

Thanks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Plusgas is decent stuff, and the added bonus is you can still get it in "dripper" tins with a nozzle, which gets you a hell of a lot more actual fluid than the same money spent on an aerosol.

Loctite also do anti-seize and copper grease in those lipsticks.

Oh, and Aldi are currently selling rubberised-palm "mechanics" gloves for 」3 for two pairs. They're not as good as the Gorilla Grip brand ones I normally use (about 」3.50 a pair, so still cheap), but they're not at all bad for the money.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
re: Electric impact gun chat: Go big or go home. I've been drooling over this thing for a long time. 780 ft-lbs in a 1/2" electric? Hell yes. I just can't justify it when I already own this baby and I do all my work in a shop, where there's air all the time anyway.

Also, impression of the Snap On air hammer I bought a month ago: holy poo poo this thing is my new favorite tool. I used it to change out the teeth on an asphalt planer, a job that can take 3-4 hours with a hammer and punch. With the air hammer I did it in about an hour and a half (an that includes probably 20 minutes of just figuring out the best angle to set up and hammer from). It annoys the poo poo out of my coworkers though, because it is loving loud.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's the problem with air hammers. I have a small amount of concrete I need to break up and I've been waiting for the right day during the week to do it when everyone's at work.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

Where is there a scrap yard where the cars are neatly stacked on blocks!?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
There are three near me... and they are open sundays.

It is like automotive nerd heaven.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
That's all of them around here. All the you-pull yards anyways.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Same here. Mine uses welded steelies like that one. It's pretty drat nice.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

InitialDave posted:

Do everyone a favour and write to Ryobi telling them this.

Eh, I'll put in a positive word for Ryobi. Mostly because they're a good value and have a pretty big lineup including yard tools. I've got their weed-wacker, trimmer, fan, inflator and jig saw. The jig saw was $25 and the others are tools that Milwaukee doesn't make. I haven't run any of them hard but I like them all and I've had no problems with my two batteries.

Right now you can get two tools and two batteries at Home Depot for $99 which is hard to argue with.

Though as a random aside, I saw a display for Makita's entire 18V lineup recently and was impressed. I didn't know they crossed into yard tools. And I think their dual 18V tools are a fantastic idea.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

I've said it before in this very thread, but just in case anyone hasn't considered this, please don't store/charge your tool batteries in your garage, as the heat and or cold can lessen their life. Keep them inside an air conditioned space and they will last longer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

asdf32 posted:

Eh, I'll put in a positive word for Ryobi. Mostly because they're a good value and have a pretty big lineup including yard tools. I've got their weed-wacker, trimmer, fan, inflator and jig saw. The jig saw was $25 and the others are tools that Milwaukee doesn't make. I haven't run any of them hard but I like them all and I've had no problems with my two batteries.

Don't get me wrong, I love the tools. In fact I sounded a lot like you (I recommended them to several dozen people, in fact) until they told me to gently caress off when I tried to warranty my first failed battery about 6 months after purchase... with a 3 year warranty listed on the box.*

Ever since then? gently caress that company.

* only if you read the tiny print on the manual you didn't read (because it says "plug in battery, install cutting disc, cut things, don't cut yourself, do not stop spinning blade with genitals") that says you have to register poo poo on their website or your warranty is worthless.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The only Ryobi tool I have is a table saw which was $80 or $100 new. News flash: don't loving buy an $80 table saw. I can make straighter cuts with less kickback freehanding a circular saw.

I knew it wasn't going to be great when I bought it but it was small enough to fit on my apartment balcony and at an impulse buy price sooo.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Any recommendations on a good 12 volt tire pump? Got into a jam today and was able to borrow one, but I should probably have my own.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

iForge posted:

Any recommendations on a good 12 volt tire pump? Got into a jam today and was able to borrow one, but I should probably have my own.

I have this with my Jeep and love it--it can inflate big 31"+ off road tires in minutes: http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV...volt+compressor

Only fault is that it's kind of loud, but all small compressors are usually that way.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Those are what I see off-roaders use quite a bit. If that doesn't float your boat, though, here's the suggestion I put in the PYF Product Recommendation thread:

Krakkles posted:

First thing: They're always going to be loud. Offroaders use them a lot, and I spend a lot of time around them, and the one I have is the only one I've seen that's (relatively) quiet, and that's only because it's custom mounted with sound absorbing materials inside the vehicle fender.

That said, anything by Viair (Amazon) is pretty universally well-regarded, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend them.

The only differences you're really going to see between various models is how long they can run before overheating, how high they can go (in PSI), how quickly they inflate, and various accessories. That being said, with the use case you describe, I'd probably get this one. It's the cheapest and should happily inflate four passenger car tires relatively quickly.

If you're curious, Viair makes a lot of stuff for air suspension, which is notoriously rigorous.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I知 back, and for that I am sorry

sharkytm posted:

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the trailer hitch mounts that are all the rage on garage journal. I've got one on my bench and it's great. I can also mount my tools on either my front or rear hitch on my truck, which is a nice touch.

Details on that? New benches are on my list this year. The ones that came in my shop are, uh, full of spiders and immovable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Recommend me a 4.5" angle grinder. 240v mains powered, mainly automotive/metalwork, very occasional DIY use for cutting paving slabs and the like. Not wanting to spend money for the fun of it, but happy to cough up if justified.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

* only if you read the tiny print on the manual you didn't read (because it says "plug in battery, install cutting disc, cut things, don't cut yourself, do not stop spinning blade with genitals") that says you have to register poo poo on their website or your warranty is worthless.
And this is a big contrast to Milwaukee. Just got my first Milwaukee tool and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that you don't need to register the drill for warranty purposes. All you need is the proof of purchase, and failing that "The product's serial number will be used to determine the warranty period or eligibility".

I have yet to put this to the test and hopefully I won't have to. But it sounds good, so far.

Advent Horizon posted:

Details on that? New benches are on my list this year. The ones that came in my shop are, uh, full of spiders and immovable.
I was a bit curious about that comment, too. Very curious as to why a trailer hitch mount would have a place on a workbench?

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love the tools. In fact I sounded a lot like you (I recommended them to several dozen people, in fact) until they told me to gently caress off when I tried to warranty my first failed battery about 6 months after purchase... with a 3 year warranty listed on the box.*

Ever since then? gently caress that company.

Are we talking about the 18V lithium one+ line? Because I have this set and for less than a hundred bucks I really can't complain. Of course my batteries still work, so there is that.

Also, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the law requires companies to honor the warranty whether or not you send in the registration card. Scummy on Ryobi's part nonetheless, but you might be able to play that card and get them to honor the warranty.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

sbyers77 posted:

Are we talking about the 18V lithium one+ line? Because I have this set and for less than a hundred bucks I really can't complain. Of course my batteries still work, so there is that.

Also, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the law requires companies to honor the warranty whether or not you send in the registration card. Scummy on Ryobi's part nonetheless, but you might be able to play that card and get them to honor the warranty.

Yes. It was great till it wasn't. All 3 batteries (two nicad and one li-ion) have now failed.

I might be able to wrangle with them (believe me, I tried already) but I'd rather just punch them repeatedly in the bottom line by honestly telling everyone I know that they are shitbags and don't honor their warranty instead. I already bought a 6V and a 12V 7Ah lead acid gelcell pack and (when I remember, probably tomorrow night or Thursday since I'm hitting the junkyard Friday) will be wiring them into a gutted broken battery pack so I can cut things in half for approximately 19 trillion years with it before it runs down.

I've already steered something like two dozen people away from them based on factual evidence. So I hope they're happy that they saved themselves 50 bucks retail price on just warrantying my poo poo like they should have. gently caress you, ryobi t:mad:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

So I took apart an outboard engine without knowing what I was doing and now I'm trying to replace the head gasket (also without knowing what I'm doing) and get it back together.

I don't do a lot of engine stuff but it seems like now's the time to buy a torque wrench. For my current job I need to crank the cylinder head down to 85lb-in.

If I'm going to own one torque wrench that can do this job and isn't too expensive which should it be? I'm looking at Home Depot (Husky, powerbuilt), and Amazon (Tekton).

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24320-4-Inch-Torque-20-200-Inch/dp/B00C5ZL2EG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399424196&sr=8-2&keywords=torque+wrench
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuilt-3-8-in-and-1-2-in-Dual-Drive-Torque-Wrench-944001/203116804
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Click-Torque-Wrench-H3DTW/202916179

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 7, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

gently caress you, ryobi t:mad:
I just spent about $600 on Milwaukee and Bosch gear, without even looking at what Ryobi offers, specifically because you said that about them. So ... :v::hf::mad:

Edit:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-2696.html

I definitely wouldn't buy the Powerbuilt, that brand seems to be universally poo poo in my experience. The Tekton looks suspiciously like the Pittsburgh (HF) model, and the Husky is pretty pricey for what it is.

Are you sure it's 85lb-in? That seems light for head bolts.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 7, 2014

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

melon cat posted:

And this is a big contrast to Milwaukee. Just got my first Milwaukee tool and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that you don't need to register the drill for warranty purposes. All you need is the proof of purchase, and failing that "The product's serial number will be used to determine the warranty period or eligibility".

I have yet to put this to the test and hopefully I won't have to. But it sounds good, so far.

I was a bit curious about that comment, too. Very curious as to why a trailer hitch mount would have a place on a workbench?

You attach the hitch mount to the underside of your workbench. Then you take the bench tools you want to be able to switch out and bolt/weld them to a hitch (minus the ball, obviously). Slides in and out and secures with one pin.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
I"m still convinced it's not possible to overbuild a workbench :colbert:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Anybody got tips on good Allen wrenches? I feel like every time I had to use one here in the nature exposed parts there's a fifty/fifty chance for stripping the bolt head or the wrench itself. Not as bad as torx but still pretty lovely.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Apparently Allen keys being torque-limiting by the size-shape of the tool tip is a feature, not a bug, so good luck.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

This set is what I have in my toolbox, it's more than adequate.
I still stand by these. Make absolutely sure you're using the right size - if it wiggles even a little, it's probably not the right one.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

iv46vi posted:

Anybody got tips on good Allen wrenches? I feel like every time I had to use one here in the nature exposed parts there's a fifty/fifty chance for stripping the bolt head or the wrench itself. Not as bad as torx but still pretty lovely.
http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-20199-Balldriver-L-Wrench-1-5-10mm
I bought these recently and they seem pretty nice. I could have sworn I bought them after reading about it in this thread, but I'm not finding any reference now.

Anyways the ball end is nice for when you can't quite get in there perfectly perpendicular. The corrosion resistant coating seems high quality and they have a lifetime warranty.

Or you could get fancy and get a t-handle set from the same company.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

iv46vi posted:

gently caress hex heads forever. The tiniest little bit of rust and they just strip right out. Sockets work better, as long as you have the space to use a ratchet.

Tip on getting out stripped hex bolts: Hammer in a torx socket (or screwdriver) that is a size bigger, and turn that. It works 9 times out of 10, with the added bonus that in a pinch you can reuse the bolt if you don't have a spare.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

These are pretty loving rad for the most part: http://www.amazon.com/Wera-SPKL-Two-Component-Storage-9-Pieces/dp/B000XIUMKC

Last time I checked, they didn't make t handle or socket drivers using this profile, which is a shame since it works a bit better as long as you never get it tilted wrong in the hex. If you do, it sucks just as bad as any other allen key.

Edit:
I guess they do still have hex plus in straight bits of assorted hex shanks. These were listed under hand impact drivers:
http://www-de.wera.de/product_detail.html?L=0&file=schlagdreher_und_schonhaemmer_serie_schlagdreher_90_nm_840_2_s&lang=de

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 7, 2014

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Krakkles posted:

I just spent about $600 on Milwaukee and Bosch gear, without even looking at what Ryobi offers, specifically because you said that about them. So ... :v::hf::mad:

Edit:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-2696.html

I definitely wouldn't buy the Powerbuilt, that brand seems to be universally poo poo in my experience. The Tekton looks suspiciously like the Pittsburgh (HF) model, and the Husky is pretty pricey for what it is.

Are you sure it's 85lb-in? That seems light for head bolts.

Yes, sure. It's a 3.3hp engine.

I think I'm going with the tekton. Hard to argue with the reviews or price.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

Sorry for the delay, I'm half-way across the world (Bahrain).
Here's some examples: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57193
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159647
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168307
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175873

Basically, you bolt a receiver tube under/next/through the bench, and put mounts on all your tools. I've got a similar setup at my house. My bench grinder, 3 vises, and portaband table all have mounts. I can store them under the table, out of the way, but it is simple to pop one onto the bench as needed. I also have an extender for my truck hitch so I can use them on either the front or back. It's very useful at certain times.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
What *is* a good fastener head? They all seem terrible in their own way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
For internal wrenching, XZN (triple-square, beloved of VAG) isn't too bad, for external, splines are what you really want, but a bi-hexagonal 12-point is what goes on most aerospace stuff.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

thebigcow posted:

What *is* a good fastener head? They all seem terrible in their own way.

Discounting rust issues, I agree with InitialDave.

With rust, hex and torx are about the best. External torx is pretty OK too (since I already blew 40 bucks on a set of sockets for them, admittedly.) For rusty torx, you have to make sure you knock all the gunk out before even trying, though. I like hex because if they rust evenly enough, they just become the next size down, or swap from SAE to metric... :haw: and even if no socket will fit nicely, a locking adjustable wrench usually works great.

Allen head can go get hosed. With a rusty rake.
12 point bi-hex are pretty OK, at least once they rust down badly enough that you can barely recognize them, you can just dremel the rust off and weld a larger nut around them.
Torx-plus is only annoying because I haven't bought a set of sockets yet.
External Torx-plus, same story.
Square bolt heads are OK because you can put an adjustable wrench on them without really risking rounding them off, but suck for every other reason. Especially in tight quarters where you may not be able to get 1/8 turn out of them, but could get 1/12 of a turn out of a hex and then flip the box wrench over.
Spline drive suck once rusted, but are very nice until then.

"Universal" wrenches are gimmicky bullshit intended for harry homeowner who wants a cool looking tool that will fit the one brand new bolt he will ever turn on his kids new swingset. They suck if you have to deal with high torque fasteners, or anything even mildly corroded, unless you were simply wanting to round it off. They do that equally well on all fasteners.

Flat blade screws can go to hell.
Phillips are OK, if they don't round.
Robertson are annoying because I rarely see them, but work nicely.

Honestly, if I had my choice, I'd make everything with hex bolts, triple-squares (or maybe even quadruple-triangles, if anyone made such a thing!) and internal+external torx plus. Reduced-head fasteners would all be triple square or quad-triangle.

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of the benefits of 12pt heads is that they are very compact, they need little more room around them than a cap-head does, and they will allow you to apply more torque than a plain hex which would fit in the same footprint.

Also, if you have something that's rounded off, I can recommend Irwin Bolt Grips for removal - think of them as an external easy-out. I've found they work better than the "locking wheel nut remover" things that are basically a self-tapping left-hand female thread with a slight taper to them, and they're available in a wider range of sizes:

You're right, a good dose of corrosion really changes the picture for how well a fastener works. You can't do a drat thing about how the stuff was put together originally, but if you're doing things yourself, you can try and protect it. While these kind of plastic head covers look a little goofy, if you put a blob of vaseline or grease in them before putting them on an exposed nut, your life will be about a million times easier when you come to undo them again: