Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

It's this kind of stuff that really boggles the mind. They spent 6 months working on a technical demo with no chance of generating any direct income. 6 months with so many people working on this demo that they put development of actual games on hold. And all to develop something that was basically an FMV and created an impossibly high level of expectation from fans.

Then they repeated it, wasting time putting together a flashy mock-up of XIII when they had no idea what the actual game would be like, years and years before its release.

And they kept doing this stuff. That Agni's Philosophy demo apparently took 6 months of planning, followed by 6 months of development. They spent an entire year on a tech demo that, once again, will earn no money and creates an impossibly high bar for their own games to meet. I have no doubt they had a very large team of people that could've been making, I dunno, games, working on this thing for an entire year. That is so dumb.

It's pretty amazing how they can't stop trying to define themselves with pretty movie scenes despite the extreme of that attitude almost sinking them before. Evidently the success of ARR and BD has shown them that they can make a game without stunning graphics or CG scenes that take forever to make and still be enjoyed by players, but FFXV has been kicking around for so long that it's probably still running on the old philosophy.

Endorph posted:

It probably has something to do with wanting to get across the foreign, western fantasy setting most of the games have. I mean, someone with blond hair and blue eyes would be pretty foreign to a Japanese person.

Yeah, that same idea is probably why when they wanted to come up with a name for Terra that would sound exotic to japanese players, they chose a western name.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure Vaan's eyes are not blue.

I can't tell how they look in FFXII proper, but they're blue in Revenant Wings, Dissidia, All The Bravest and Theatrythm Thearyth the music one. While we're at it, for FFVI Terra has green eyes, Celes has blue, and Locke's are brown.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I can't tell how they look in FFXII proper, but they're blue in Revenant Wings, Dissidia, All The Bravest and Theatrythm Thearyth the music one. While we're at it, for FFVI Terra has green eyes, Celes has blue, and Locke's are brown.

They're sort of greyish in XII. Possibly a bit blue, but that might have just been a shading issue on the few times they looked that way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was using Ashe as the main character of XII anyway.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Aren't her eyes brown?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Aren't her eyes brown?

Pretty much every playable character in XII has brown eyes. The only two who don't are Vaan, and Fran (hers are red).

ETA: Well, and Panelo sort of waffles between blue-grey and brown in game, but the majority of her artwork, her eyes are a light brown.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 7, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Internet, why, mechanically does Kimhari wind up being such an awful character? I love Dragoon-types and I hate when they're bad. :<

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Due to how easy it is to just swap in characters during a battle, having a character that's just okay in a lot of stuff is pretty pointless.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
His role is kinda filled by two other characters (piercing - Auron; fast, fairly accurate attacks - Tidus). Also his overdrive isn't particularly great overall.

He can serve as a really useful early thief, before you get Rikku and you can also make him into a fairly decent mage, later on, so he isn't completely terrible.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Big writeup about Kitase and co. realizing the FF series has gone wrong somewhere and his current attempts to fix it:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/where-final-fantasy-went-wrong-and-how-square-enix-is-righting-it

More at the link.

Not sure why I find the modern failure of SE so fascinating. I don't usually care when a company says "Yeah this is how we messed up" but for some reason I love hearing the FF side of things.

Rei_ posted:

Internet, why, mechanically does Kimhari wind up being such an awful character? I love Dragoon-types and I hate when they're bad. :<

Are you playing Expert Grid? He has a very useful niche if you take him down Rikku's path, since you can steal before you get her. Having 2 people with steal/use is never a bad idea too. Around the time this stops being useful you can pop him over to Yuna's grid (they connect on expert) and he will get Dispel and Reflect probably before she does. He also gets a decent amount of Agility and Magic on a frame that doesn't die in a single hit.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 7, 2014

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Expert grid just makes everyone connect to everyone else all the time. I think there was a bit where I started to accidentally drag Auron down Wakka's path and had to turn him around.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
What's the technique to killing these drat Pharoah walls in Omega Ruins?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Syrant posted:

Summons are pretty much immune to anything they can do.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay, this is slowly driving me insane.

In Bevelle temple, at the very end, you get an HP Sphere (which seems to be one of the required treasures for Anima). Afterwards, you can warp the altar there and insert a Bevelle Sphere in the wall, so that the walkway to the left activates. There's a treasure chest at the end! All you have to do is push the altar on the walkway to move there...

...only I keep sliding of the loving altar. The overworld controls of FF X are objectively horrible (yes, you know it's true), but this is beyond ridiculous. No matter how much I line up, or if I run or walk, I just cannot for the life of me push that goddamn altar to the left!

Eventually I proceeded ignoring that chest, but I'm honestly amazed how lovely that turned out. Anybody else got that problem? Is there ANY way of NOT sliding off? Because in all FAQs I checked, everybody just seems to assume you can push that altar fine...

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
You forgot to grab a bevelle sphere and stick it in the altar. I had the same problem, the thing won't slide unless you remember to get a sphere from before and stick it in there.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Any pro FFX/FFX-2 players want to give me some advice for maximum enjoyment of the series?

I was thinking of finishing FFX without doing any of the extra sidequests at first so I can go to FFX-2 and enjoy the story, and then when I beat the second one I come back to the first and finish all the extra long grind that there is there to get all the trophies and whatnot.

Is that the best way of doing it, or should I 100% FFX before moving on to FFX-2

I know the answer's obvious I'm just wondering what you guys did here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Any pro FFX/FFX-2 players want to give me some advice for maximum enjoyment of the series?

I was thinking of finishing FFX without doing any of the extra sidequests at first so I can go to FFX-2 and enjoy the story, and then when I beat the second one I come back to the first and finish all the extra long grind that there is there to get all the trophies and whatnot.

Is that the best way of doing it, or should I 100% FFX before moving on to FFX-2

I know the answer's obvious I'm just wondering what you guys did here.

The advice for maximum enjoyment of the series is don't bother with loving trophies at all and don't do any sidequests that would involve you to go at any point 'this is really dumb.' Seriously. Just don't do it. It is negative enjoyment.

For FFX-2, just don't bother with the 'best' ending and you'll be fine.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

CrusherEAGLE posted:

You forgot to grab a bevelle sphere and stick it in the altar. I had the same problem, the thing won't slide unless you remember to get a sphere from before and stick it in there.

Goddammit. I used the only sphere in the altar to unlock the walkway... I think you can't even return at that point to fetch another sphere, since you can't push the altar down the stairs. Yet another bullet point on the huge list of things awful about Bevelle temple. At least it's not required for anything...

Well, good thing it's only a stupid Knight Lance in there. I'm not reloading a save, sitting through a boss fight + a annoying enemy gauntlet + a fuckton of cutscenes + almost the entirety of Bevelle temple just to get that thing.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Did you forget to save on the save sphere literally right before the trial?

I made the same mistake you did playing but I just reloaded the save that was right outside.

I'm using the +20% magic halberd on Kimahri though, so I guess it wasn't really worth it.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Any idea if FFXII is going to be a port any time soon?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Any idea if FFXII is going to be a port any time soon?

It hasn't been announced and likely won't be until Tokyo Game Show or so. How long it will take an actual HD release to come out is another question considering FFXHD took forever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Last news to that effect was from around February and it was that there were no current plans.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Argh, that mandatory Blitzball game in FFX is such bullshit. And it's a real shame because it's actually a really fun little minigame. Would have won that stupid game if stupid Tidus didn't decide to just gently caress off with two minutes left. Lost possession because of that, they scored, I lost in overtime.

Still, got my revenge afterwards, signed a bunch of good players and blew up a tournament. Nearly won every single game but battery was running low so there's still a few to play. Also chucked out all of the Aurochs apart from Keepa and one of the D-Men. Letty I think. Couldn't find anyone to replace him after a quick sweep of Luca.

Think I'll dig out my big-rear end FFX guide later, I seem to remember it having a huge Blitzball section.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Syrant posted:

Here's my strategy for dealing with these guys:

- Put your three highest agility characters in front of party with Stoneproof/ward armour (one should have First Strike weapon equipped to avoid nasty Great Malboro surprise), normally this would be Tidus/Rikku/Yuna
- Doublecast Demi, the character will get hit with a bunch of statuses (stati?)
- Use the other two characters to cure the status ailments on Demi caster, prioritize Silence and Poison
- Repeat this until the stony bastards can be killed in one physical attack

or

-Summons

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Schwartzcough posted:

And they kept doing this stuff. That Agni's Philosophy demo apparently took 6 months of planning, followed by 6 months of development. They spent an entire year on a tech demo that, once again, will earn no money and creates an impossibly high bar for their own games to meet. I have no doubt they had a very large team of people that could've been making, I dunno, games, working on this thing for an entire year. That is so dumb.

The Agni's Philosophy demo and technical documentation highlighted several development issues that continue to plague the company. The development of the engine prioritized high-end visuals over an efficient toolset. For example, they created highly polished assets while tools that are standard in game development were put in the backburner. This cart before the horse approach is very unusual for engine development. Placeholder assets are used instead of expensive master assets since the purpose is to fine tune the backend process of software development. It's great however if you want to let fans/shareholders think you have a grip on next gen development when you actually have years of development left.

Furthermore, the demo was severely unoptimized with issues, such as toes rendered in shoes. They also only had pre-baked lighting instead of real-time lighting during developer's view. These were issues that affected Crystal Tools and we know how game development ended up for that engine.

Motto posted:

It's pretty amazing how they can't stop trying to define themselves with pretty movie scenes despite the extreme of that attitude almost sinking them before. Evidently the success of ARR and BD has shown them that they can make a game without stunning graphics or CG scenes that take forever to make and still be enjoyed by players, but FFXV has been kicking around for so long that it's probably still running on the old philosophy.

FFXV isn't just running on an old design philosophy. It's running on a corporate philosophy of how they appease fans and shareholders. Back in e3 2006, the company didn't have anything concrete to show since FF12 had pushed everything back. So, they cooked up a well edited concept video for FF13 to show that they had a major FF game in the pipeline. Of course, we now know that it was a series of smoke and mirrors which weren't indicative of the final game.

Flashforward to e3 2013, FFvsXIII is promoted to FFXV through a well edited video. However, there is no playable build or even a guided playthrough behind closed doors, such as with The Witcher 3. This is a game that has been in development for an entire generation and they still can't show a demo of it. A lot of people are excited for FFXV's new direction but the smoke signals surrounding the game suggest it's suffering from the same development issues as FFXIII.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Not sure why I find the modern failure of SE so fascinating. I don't usually care when a company says "Yeah this is how we messed up" but for some reason I love hearing the FF side of things.

I find that the company's most fascinating trait is that they easily understand their development issues but comically underestimate the severity of them and the need to take quick action. For example, FF12's development was when they first began to encounter issues in their production pipeline. That was a decade ago and they still have the same major development problems and the same ineffectual solutions. Any decent programmer would tell you that developing a game while making major changes to its incubating engine is like trying to re-engineer a plane while in mid-flight.

MrAristocrates posted:

Last news to that effect was from around February and it was that there were no current plans.

If they announce on the anniversary of FF12's release and take two years of development, we'll see it in 2018. That's actually ahead of schedule for them.

Sunning fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 7, 2014

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Syrant posted:

Can't they be silenced? Chuck a Silence Grenade at them, use Silence Buster, or whatever?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Summons are pretty much immune to anything they can do.

Specifically, Valefor is immune to everything they can throw at her, including their Earthquake attack.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011

derra posted:

Can't they be silenced? Chuck a Silence Grenade at them, use Silence Buster, or whatever?

If you use silence buster with a fast character then it wont induce the counterattack. Silence won't fade from the monster until their next turn so you can then beat on it freely.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The big problem with an FFXII HD Remaster is it needs to either be packaged with another game or they need to go into the game and give it something like 20% new content or else Sony America won't approve it here. They're kinda assholes like that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Where are you getting that from? Not to mention, arguably the IZJS content counts for that already.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

TARDISman posted:

The big problem with an FFXII HD Remaster is it needs to either be packaged with another game or they need to go into the game and give it something like 20% new content or else Sony America won't approve it here. They're kinda assholes like that.

Okami HD exists and was released in English. That was neither bundled with anything else nor did it have new content crowbarred in. :shrug:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Okami HD exists and was released in English. That was neither bundled with anything else nor did it have new content crowbarred in. :shrug:

That was a digital release and I believe it had Playstation Move functionality duct taped to the side.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Going back to eye color chat for a moment, Firion from FFII has brown eyes.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Who?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Shame the game was so mediocre because that is some gorgeous art. It's so 80s/90s fantasy. I love it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

See, FF2 was just breaking from the mold in all sorts of ways. The Key Word system, the battle system, the first FF with Cid and Chocobos and something resembling a plot and characterization - FF2 was clearly too good and ahead of its time that people just didn't understand it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Vash the Stampede.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

Shame the game was so mediocre because that is some gorgeous art. It's so 80s/90s fantasy. I love it.

Amano's art manages to make most of the goofiest or most mediocre stuff in the series look alright. Even Tidus looks (slightly) less stupid in his art.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

W.T. Fits posted:

Vash the Stampede.

He's a humanoid typhoon!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Both Firion and Vash are voiced by JYB so this is correct.