Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Did Tokyo ever come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Elswyyr posted:

Did Tokyo ever come out?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Len posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Oh dear.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Elswyyr posted:

Did Tokyo ever come out?
The answer to this question is now and has always been "soon". I really don't know what's taking them so loving long because I don't believe for a second that everyone is going to go "wow, you can see the years of work they put into this" once it drops and there's basically zero chance they're spending their time on bugfixes. :iiam:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

The answer to this question is now and has always been "soon". I really don't know what's taking them so loving long because I don't believe for a second that everyone is going to go "wow, you can see the years of work they put into this" once it drops and there's basically zero chance they're spending their time on bugfixes. :iiam:

Everything they've told us makes it sound like we're getting the zone, a handful of missions, AEGIS (probably broken) and nothing else in I9.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Is everyone who still plays this game Illuminati or what? I want to play with the largest goonhorde possible.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Helmholz posted:

Is everyone who still plays this game Illuminati or what? I want to play with the largest goonhorde possible.

Don't think there are enough active goons to make a duo, let alone a horde.

Side Note: Has anyone watched Orphan Black? I ask because Rachael has a total Kirsten Geary thing going for her, blue dress, short blond hair, attitude. Made me miss the game enough to reinstall.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 2, 2014

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Which faction gets the most super sekrit hints about what the storyline means? I kinda wanna give this a try again, just for the story, but I can't decide what to pick. I was Illuminati last time, which was cool, but it seemed like noone told me anything. Which I guess is the point. Anyway.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They're actually the most straightforward of them all.

Illuminati act like it's no big deal and just text you updates like a teenage girl.

Templars are insufferable loving pricks so far up their own asses it's painful. Your mission debriefs will be biblical and poetic quotes and a "good job being the good guy" while your handler waxes poetic about how things could have been or just relates things that aren't relevant to your situation.

Dragon are just obtuse to be obtuse. "Oooo, chaos! What if we controlled it? Who says we don't? Chaaaaooooooossss!!!" [/Dr. loving Orpheus]

Pretty much pick Illuminati if you want someone who doesn't treat you like a child in the mission text and isn't a gaping rear end in a top hat idiot.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Dragon are just obtuse to be obtuse. "Oooo, chaos! What if we controlled it? Who says we don't? Chaaaaooooooossss!!!" [/Dr. loving Orpheus]

It's been lazy like that for the last few updates, but that may or may not be because our handler was... disconnected.

The Dragon pretty much dump you in and leave you to figure things out as you go along, but occasionally give you unique details, or even mindblowing stuff that's totally unrelated to your current mission/zone.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
I'd say Dragon gives more hint hints than anyone else. Illuminati fun facts are better, though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Templars are insufferable loving pricks so far up their own asses it's painful. Your mission debriefs will be biblical and poetic quotes and a "good job being the good guy" while your handler waxes poetic about how things could have been or just relates things that aren't relevant to your situation.

Don't forget chewing you out for doing a good deed on the side!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I feel like when the Dragons can be bothered to tell you anything, they have a better idea what's going on than than the other two factions.

That might just be pro-Dragon bias on my part since I played them first, though.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I was thinking about this game in the shower just now and remembered about the reason the Haungbui Mother loot bug isn't fixed is because the devs couldn't do enough DPS to replicate it, lmao

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Why are you thinking about failed MMOs in the shower.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Where else would you think about them

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brain In A Jar posted:

I was thinking about this game in the shower just now and remembered about the reason the Haungbui Mother loot bug isn't fixed is because the devs couldn't do enough DPS to replicate it, lmao

I think my favorite bug was when the cinematic director was arguing that the deaggro fields around every single one of his NPCs was perfect and worked just fine.

Then I gave him a three step process to reproduce getting murdered while in a cutscene with Drogan in Carp Fangs.

He apologized and actually fixed the problem.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Brain In A Jar posted:

Where else would you think about them
On the toilet would be more apt.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Rincewind posted:

I feel like when the Dragons can be bothered to tell you anything, they have a better idea what's going on than than the other two factions.

That might just be pro-Dragon bias on my part since I played them first, though.

My first foray was with Illuminati and I haven't gotten as far as I did with my Dragon character yet, but I have to agree. When the Dragon isn't being willfully obtuse, they're all about knowing EVERYTHING so you get some neat information here and there.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Len posted:

I think my favorite bug was when the cinematic director was arguing that the deaggro fields around every single one of his NPCs was perfect and worked just fine.

Then I gave him a three step process to reproduce getting murdered while in a cutscene with Drogan in Carp Fangs.

He apologized and actually fixed the problem.

Wait, so the three or four times I've died in a cinematic weren't supposed to happen?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wait, so the three or four times I've died in a cinematic weren't supposed to happen?

Correct. Every NPC is supposed to ha e something to prevent you from getting killed while talking to them. Whether it's a deaggro field or friendly NPCs to fight the baddies. I kept a thread on test live updated whenever I found a spot where that didn't work.

But they got tired of me finding bugs in their perfect game and I can't post on test live now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HughGRect posted:

Don't think there are enough active goons to make a duo, let alone a horde.

Side Note: Has anyone watched Orphan Black? I ask because Rachael has a total Kirsten Geary thing going for her, blue dress, short blond hair, attitude. Made me miss the game enough to reinstall.

gently caress you, man. I didn't need another show to watch.

♡♥♡Geary♡♥♡

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

April letter is up. Who else is is excited to redo all the filth hallways!?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

It's my secret hope that they'll add in a brand new aux weapon: Mop and Bucket. The quest has you go to ancient china and learn the ways of janitor fu from the masters of the art. You're introduced to the weapon when you fall through the portal to the past and when filth follows you a squad of elite ninjas use mops to beat it back and wipe the portal clean.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
You just described the plot of Terry Pratchett's "Thief of Time", and if the next update is anywhere near as good as a Discworld novel, I think we'll all be eating our hats.

(I actually do think Tokyo will be pretty cool; I just don't want to get my hopes up too much.)

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 6, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

April letter is up. Who else is is excited to redo all the filth hallways!?
I didn't do them the first time around so this is an exciting opportunity for lazy folks like me. I say "like me" because I couldn't give a thundering gently caress this time around either but I'm sure someone somewhere is loving thrilled.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

I didn't do them the first time around so this is an exciting opportunity for lazy folks like me. I say "like me" because I couldn't give a thundering gently caress this time around either but I'm sure someone somewhere is loving thrilled.

You have no idea how angry pubbies were that the "feed the box" portion counted towards the "do every mission" achievement.

Also that they added the bee helmet in after a few steps were done.

Because God forbid you be able to miss content.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh poo poo, I haven't been logging in to claim my GM items. Anything good in the last few months?

(Give us the Mankini, Funcom. Let us parade in front of the non subscribing plebes in it.)

I'm actually a little bummed by my own apathy at this point. I used to log in for new content at least. I logged in and bought the new investigations but I've only done the first one so far and haven't felt like logging back in.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

guppy posted:

I'm actually a little bummed by my own apathy at this point. I used to log in for new content at least. I logged in and bought the new investigations but I've only done the first one so far and haven't felt like logging back in.

I think that since the story is what attracted a lot of people, not having new story content reeeeeally makes things fall apart, even with stuff like investigation missions on the side. This is at least one of the reasons why a lot of subscribers left after the first month- the new content was just scattered missions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

Oh poo poo, I haven't been logging in to claim my GM items. Anything good in the last few months?

(Give us the Mankini, Funcom. Let us parade in front of the non subscribing plebes in it.)

1) Not in my opinion.

2) Give it back you mean. Those bastards took it from me.

3) I signed in to buy the missions and haven't bothered to do them. I just don't care enough.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cheston posted:

I think that since the story is what attracted a lot of people, not having new story content reeeeeally makes things fall apart, even with stuff like investigation missions on the side. This is at least one of the reasons why a lot of subscribers left after the first month- the new content was just scattered missions.

This pretty much.

This game had phenomenal dungeons for the most part. Very little trash, very atmospheric, interesting boss fights. But no one was playing this game to grind instances at the end game. Hell, the entire draw of the leveling process for me was to see what sort of crazy poo poo and conspiracies would pop up as you leveled up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

One of you people with Mumble Power should give my channel some sort of comment. It's lonely being the only one without a little C beside it.

Edit: Franky that is the most adorable picture ever <3

Len fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 7, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Cheston posted:

I know its been said so many times but this game would have made a fantastic single player RPG. You could have had the dungeon and PvP sections as a multiplayer component and we would have all been raving about how awesome everything is. The story really is the best part of the game and I still don't understand why they want players to keep grinding random poo poo when continuing the various storylines would get a much better response.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kegslayer posted:

I know its been said so many times but this game would have made a fantastic single player RPG. You could have had the dungeon and PvP sections as a multiplayer component and we would have all been raving about how awesome everything is. The story really is the best part of the game and I still don't understand why they want players to keep grinding random poo poo when continuing the various storylines would get a much better response.

I'm pretty sure the reason is just lack of funds/crew/time. TSW launched as a niche game with almost zero advertisements. It's almost two years later and I still haven't met anyone in real life who has even heard of the game. Then Funcom started to hemorrhage staff left and right. You would have to ask someone else where they started making the cuts but in the end I think they had to cut actual important people in their staff. How many times have we heard "This got delayed because we had to have someone re-learn that part of the game because we let that guy go"? It's happened for the Cabal interface which is STILL garbage and bug ridden and during the Issue 6 AMD bug that I know of for sure.

Hell even Ragnar bailed leaving us in the hands of Joel Bylos.

Then they consolidated all the Funcom offices to one place where the team now runs Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, and TSW. I'm not sure if this same team is also working on the new LEGO MMO Funcom is building but it wouldn't surprise me.

This leaves us sitting around and waiting for them to have the free time to actually give us new content. Funcom is probably losing paying subs left and right so they do what they can to keep people interested. If the awful boring rear end golem bosses are keeping pubbies giving Funcom money why should they dedicate extra resources they don't have towards making meaningful content?

Edit: Their active refusal to fix problems with the game can't help either. I know I'm probably more vocal than the rest of the userbase but you have to figure people affected by the Issue 6 bug spread the word about how slow to reply Funcom was on that. I wasn't even affected and I warn anyone who expresses interest that Funcom might put out content that breaks your game for an undetermined amount of time.

We still never got Lefin back after that fiasco. Lefin we miss the space fixer.

Len fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 7, 2014

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Len posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason is just lack of funds/crew/time. TSW launched as a niche game with almost zero advertisements. It's almost two years later and I still haven't met anyone in real life who has even heard of the game. Then Funcom started to hemorrhage staff left and right. You would have to ask someone else where they started making the cuts but in the end I think they had to cut actual important people in their staff. How many times have we heard "This got delayed because we had to have someone re-learn that part of the game because we let that guy go"? It's happened for the Cabal interface which is STILL garbage and bug ridden and during the Issue 6 AMD bug that I know of for sure.

Hell even Ragnar bailed leaving us in the hands of Joel Bylos.

Then they consolidated all the Funcom offices to one place where the team now runs Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, and TSW. I'm not sure if this same team is also working on the new LEGO MMO Funcom is building but it wouldn't surprise me.

This leaves us sitting around and waiting for them to have the free time to actually give us new content. Funcom is probably losing paying subs left and right so they do what they can to keep people interested. If the awful boring rear end golem bosses are keeping pubbies giving Funcom money why should they dedicate extra resources they don't have towards making meaningful content?

This is pretty much spot on. Something that is important to understand about the development and testing of TSW is that there were nowhere near enough testers. It was by far the most anemic test I've ever been a part of. I'd say the number of testers even 6 months out from launch was in the hundreds maybe low thousands. Before Drink, Killsion, Rhan, and I started heavily testing the endgame, it hadn't been touched by outside testers. Lairs, world bosses, trans dungeons, none of it. When we started testing it, we were the only group testing it for at least a month. Eventually there were a few other players doing it as well but there couldn't have been more than a dozen of us doing it.

The pre-launch team was really great, responsive, and had some awesome content in the works and ideas for the future. I had lots of good interactions with the devs when we were testing the dungeons and some of the endgame content. But even then there were too few people doing the work of too many. There were two main devs that did the design for most of the dungeons and they were really talented dudes but were seriously overworked. I had some decent conversations with both of them and they fixed most of the issues I reported by the next patch and even did some major redesigns of boss fights in a very short period of time. If every dev on TSW had been like those two guys, then the game could have still produced content at a rapid pace post-launch. Unfortunately, one or both of them got cut as part of the reorganization which is a large part of why any post-launch group content has been utter poo poo. Funcom got rid of the dudes that made all the good stuff.

The dev that oversaw the lairs was a completely different story. Multiple times we set concrete times to test the lairs and regional bosses and his team ended up just not showing up for it. That's why the regional bosses didn't get tested until live. Last I knew, this guy is still one of their lead devs.

As screwy as some of the testing was, the failure of TSW lies overwhelmingly in the hands of the marketing department. We were even talking about how poo poo they were well before launch. The game was under-marketed, poorly marketed, and got no real presence. They didn't market the story properly, the freefrom system, or highlight any of the really cool features. Whoever these guys are, I hope they never work in marketing again because they were loving terrible. Because of the complete lack of any marketing, the game sold poorly. Really, really poorly. This lead to the "reorganization" of their Montreal branch which involved firing pretty much every dev that made the game a success. If there's a dungeon or piece of content that you really enjoy in the game, there is a 75% chance it was made by one of the people that got laid off.

For the last year, Tokyo has been hailed as a major area/expansion/etc. With the original team, Tokyo was just another issue leading to a much bigger plotline. If they had retained the full-staff Tokyo should have released around Nov/Dec after launch (if not before). The original plan for content was pretty massive and exciting. Here are a few things that were in the pipeline that will never happen:

Shambala - Early in development it was a PvP area that was later converted to a PvE zone. There were some glimpses of it during the main story.
The Lost World - Further down Agartha near the base is a prehistroic world full of dinosaurs.
The Tabula Rasa - That weird little tavern in London was supposed to be the site of major developments in the future. The Tabula Rasa is a transdimensional tavern that was designed to serve as a gateway to other worlds and dimensions. Probably meant to be tied to The Host, the Twin Gods, and Traveling into the Dreaming Prison and the Cosmos.
An extensive bestiary system complete with passives, skills, etc.
Competitive PvP arena and another open world PvP zone
The Third Age - Use of the Time Tombs and Agartha to travel to Atlantis and the technologically advanced Third Age.
The rest of Loki and Excalibur's Storyline Cassi is Loki, not Beaumont and she's not with the Illuminati.

The list of content really just goes on and on. There was a lot of stuff planned and partially in the files or that we had conversations about during testing. It's a real disappointment because they had some really amazing story threads going and it looks like the only one they are going to be able to resolve is the Orochi one (if even that). I doubt they'll get to the plotline that should come after that: The Host. It's a real pity because what they have of it in the game so far is really interesting but far too much work to do. I'm pretty sure they are going to wrap the story up with Tokyo and I'd be extremely surprised to see any major content after that.

Edit: I just checked and it looks like only one of the good devs might remain (the guy who made Darkness War and Slaughterhouse). The rest of the good devs are definitely gone.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 7, 2014

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Thanks for the insight into what have been a really brilliant game that's just "what could have been". All of it makes me so sad because TSW had so much potential, even with the boring combat. The well done parts of the game just ooze style and a unique aesthetic.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Thanks for the insight into what have been a really brilliant game that's just "what could have been". All of it makes me so sad because TSW had so much potential, even with the boring combat. The well done parts of the game just ooze style and a unique aesthetic.

Maybe Funcom will wise up and do a single player game in the TSW universe. The IP is strong, there's no reason it should die with the MMO or be relegated to ARGs.

Then again Funcom is just full of bad idea so they'll probably launch a dating sim in the TSW universe on the WiiU.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Could I get 2 referral keys? I just heard a description of the investigation missions and they sound like something me and my wife would enjoy but I wanted to get a feel for whether it was worth putting up with the standard mmo gameplay.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

FuzzySlippers posted:

Could I get 2 referral keys? I just heard a description of the investigation missions and they sound like something me and my wife would enjoy but I wanted to get a feel for whether it was worth putting up with the standard mmo gameplay.

Y3LDP7BTP56JVNBXLNT8

&

YUF4UPN4WDWX56VDXH7N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Pinely posted:

Maybe Funcom will wise up and do a single player game in the TSW universe. The IP is strong, there's no reason it should die with the MMO or be relegated to ARGs.

Then again Funcom is just full of bad idea so they'll probably launch a dating sim in the TSW universe on the WiiU.

You could show off a lot more faction personality in such a thing: an Illumanti quest would be blackmailing a senator or pouring fluoride into the water supply (it's world made of conspiracy theories, of course fluoride is actually poison), a templar quest would be giving someone a hypocritical moral lecture, and the Dragon quest would be getting a cup of coffee from an exact Starbucks and making ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't properly dispose of the cup.

• Locked thread