Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Narrowed it down to about 2 dogs. The slightly sweeter seeming one refused to go into a crate, and Im wondering if I should consider that a SA warning sign....
Anyways, it may happen tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

It has happened!
Don't really have photos yet, but here are the kennel's pictures:

He was licking his lips a bit at some dachshunds at the pet food store, and I didn't take him over to see if he would recognize them as dogs, but soon after he got a bit clingy, almost if he was afraid of them, so not sure what's up. Will be sure to make sure introductions are muzzled tomorrow.
I have a full wall sliding mirror wardrobe thing that is confusing the hell out of him though. He keeps staring at it and trying to walk through it. I might need to put some electrical tape on it.
Wouldn't surprise me if he was an upper level kennel, as he easily jumped into my car. Also, just a couple sets of stairs and he had them figured out. and stairs were surprisingly easy. He's been fairly velcroish given the chance, but I've been able to put a gate in front of my room and leave without noticeable anxiety problems (because he's busy running into my mirror). Still need to figure out car though. He doesn't really know what to do and tries to come to the front and lean with me, which is not ideal for driving. I also need to figure out a name!
Thus far though, he seems like a pretty great dog.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 5, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It took Patch a while to figure out mirrors too. Same with the window on the patio door. We put big a big X with masking tape on each one and that seemed to help some so I think you're on the right track there.

Also, congrats on your handsome dog.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Very nice dog, face is gorgeous, it's very similar to Abby's. Does he have a brindle tail by any chance?

For the car, not sure what type you have, but I have a harness for Abby since she refuses to sit down.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

He's at work now. The corgi in the next area barked at him, so now he's terrified of her, and resists being walked across that team area. I guess that's alright. He hasn't laid down at all yet, hopefully he'll tire out soon.
e: they met. He basically stood still let the corgi do her sniffing. I think she was pretty surprised at the reaction and stopped barking. Immediately after the meeting he finally lied down.

actionjackson posted:

Very nice dog, face is gorgeous, it's very similar to Abby's. Does he have a brindle tail by any chance?

For the car, not sure what type you have, but I have a harness for Abby since she refuses to sit down.

Yup, the entire back edge is pretty much black.
Today he pretty much figured out the car. I think the issue is that the dog bed filled the entire back area, so it wasn't really stable. I just moved it to block access to the front and he did alright on the seat itself. He ended up sitting for half the commute today before laying down. He doesn't respond to the command, but it's probably just a matter of observing another dog doing it on command. He's also pretty much the quietest dog ever, haven't really heard a single noise from him.

He's figured out the dog bed at home at least.

more or less

Lhet fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 5, 2014

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

When we started discussing a new greyhound, my husband said "I really want a dog who will get up on the couch with us."

Be careful what you wish for - that's his side of the couch she's claimed.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lhet posted:

Yup, the entire back edge is pretty much black.

The father is probably the same as mine (Dodgem by Design). You should be able to look it up, or it may say in your paperwork.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

actionjackson posted:

The father is probably the same as mine (Dodgem by Design). You should be able to look it up, or it may say in your paperwork.

Yup. Over 11,000 half brothers.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lhet posted:

Yup. Over 11,000 half brothers.

This is Abby. You can see why I changed her name

https://www.trackinfo.com/dog.jsp?runnername=O%20YA%20KIMMY%20CHIZ

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

That's an EXCELLENT name, how could you have done such a thing?! :v:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

There some plenty of awful racing names; a couple dogs at the kennel were named "Tears of a Clown" and "AMF Set the Pace". I'm changing mine's name too. Brett isn't the worst, but it's not a great dog name (due to being a commonish human name), and he doesn't really know it. Probably gonna end up going with with Remy or Guile.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

There are some hilariously terrible awesome names out there.

Dj Sir Laughalot
Polish Unicorn
Jacksonville Gas
I Am Very Classy
Lebowski
Magic Tylenol
Chubbawubba Man
Fuzzys Excedrin

Rory's racing name is Kiowa Ten Aurora, which I already kind of liked. We shorted it to Rory, but her tags still say "Aurora 'Rory'."

I had originally wanted a male dog mostly so I could name him The Stig.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 6, 2014

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Speaking of names, post funny nicknames you call your dog. Here's mine:

Slenderdog
Long dog
Stretch Dogstrong
Santa's little pooper
Needle nose
Crooked toes
The brown monster

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Husker's racing name was ToTellTheTruth, all one word. Vastra was Rico's Bailey.

We typically refer to all dogs, our own and our friends', as "Haroo" if we don't call them by their names. I'm not entirely sure why it started, but it's definitely become a thing in our household.

Edit: I remember what might be the worst greyhound name I found, when looking up track records. It was "Amber Alert." Seemed really tasteless to me.

One of the dogs in Vastra's adoption group was named Mystery Machine, which I thought was loving awesome.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Gannon's racing name was CTW Gannon. I liked it so I kept it. I call him buddy, hound dog, goofball or buttstuff most of the time though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BathroomTile posted:

That's an EXCELLENT name, how could you have done such a thing?! :v:

My first thought was "my dog is not a stripper."

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

When we started discussing a new greyhound, my husband said "I really want a dog who will get up on the couch with us."

Be careful what you wish for - that's his side of the couch she's claimed.

Did she take her toy up there with her too? :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

McDragon posted:

Did she take her toy up there with her too? :3:

Yep! She frequently grabs a toy to take with her to the couch. Her favorites seem to be this little blue raccoon and a very similar yellow bear, and then occasionally a plush cauliflower that squeaks.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Day 3, he's been doing a ton of sleeping. He's still afraid of the corgi who barks at him in the next area, but doesn't really resist crossing the entrance, just clings to the opposite wall while crossing. Walked him around the lunch crowd, and he seemed to do fine. There was one dachshund puppy that I was a bit worried about though. After sniffing for a second his mouth quivered a bit and I worried a bit and brought him away. In retrospect I might have been me holding the leash too tightly causing him to cough, but I don't really want to take the risk. After that he pretty much slept the rest of the day. He's locked up a couple times going down the stairs from our apartment and jumping into the car, forcing me to carry him. Going to need to start carrying treats around to reinforce successes.
Overall though, he's just been super chill. Hopefully he'll start opening up soon (and maybe even playing) as things become familiar, all I've really seen him get visibly excited for thus far is his dinner.

e: pictures

Lhet fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 7, 2014

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

^^^:buddy:
He's got such a great color. It can take a few months for a dog to really open up. We got Tess in October of 2012 and it wasn't until the following July that she really settled in. Yours will probably figure things out quicker, but do give him time.

Casey split his front left paw open on the bottom at 11 last night. The vet said it was an inch-and-a-half cut, but he didn't damage any tendons. He got a few stitches today, and should be back to causing mayhem soon.
Right now, he's groggy and grumpy from the pain and anesthetics wearing off, but he does have a lovely little sock.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Awww poor Casey!

Reese's nicknames include;

Skinny dog
Reese's Pieces Peanutbutter cup
Mr. Reese ( said with Harold Finch's voice)
Might meaty muscle butt (yanked from someone earlier in the thread)
Doodlebug
Sweet man, sweet boy
Farthound

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Took Remy to a huge dog park yesterday; turns out he loves water (at least wading and splashing around in it).

He also made the first vocalization I've heard so far (aside from some a couple yelps/whines while dreaming). After spending some time at the shore I put him back on leash to return to the car, and a poodle mix ('Goldendoodle' probably) sniffed him, then started barking and hopping up and down in front of him. He growled in reply and I pulled him past the other dog, pretty sure he was entirely justified there. Other than that, he did just fine socializing offleash.
It's still sometimes a bit of a struggle to go down the apartment stairs (about half the time) and out of the car. He can do both, but will resist if there's something scary (like a garbage truck) or if there isn't a large space outside the car door. He also doesn't really seem to understand treats when he's away from home. Hopefully both of these issues will just kinda disappear as he becomes more comfortable.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Have to show off Jake's new collar:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Lhet posted:

Took Remy to a huge dog park yesterday; turns out he loves water (at least wading and splashing around in it).

He also made the first vocalization I've heard so far (aside from some a couple yelps/whines while dreaming). After spending some time at the shore I put him back on leash to return to the car, and a poodle mix ('Goldendoodle' probably) sniffed him, then started barking and hopping up and down in front of him. He growled in reply and I pulled him past the other dog, pretty sure he was entirely justified there. Other than that, he did just fine socializing offleash.

My dog rarely makes noises outside of sleep, but if another dog keeps sniffing her face for way too long she'll let out a nasty bark. I've never seen her snap or growl, just one bark like "hey gently caress off". She's made an incredibly loud yelp for no reason once or twice, I'm guessing she hit the wrong spot while scratching herself or something.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

First trip to the dog park:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Oh gosh I killed the thread it looks like! Quick some thread CPR!

Anyone else going on vacation this year with their hound? We're going to the beach in August with Mr. Reese from the above post.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fuzz Feets posted:

Oh gosh I killed the thread it looks like! Quick some thread CPR!

Anyone else going on vacation this year with their hound? We're going to the beach in August with Mr. Reese from the above post.

I may go down to visit my mom at the beach in North Carolina and take Vastra with me, but I haven't decided yet. Our only really planned vacation is a trip to the UK in August, and although technically we could take her (and our friends there would love to meet her) it really isn't worth the effort.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
You bring Vastra up here so I can dogsit her and get my grey fix. :3:

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Skizzles posted:

You bring Vastra up here so I can dogsit her and get my grey fix. :3:

Or come down here and dogsit and we could have a goon party.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I took Adam around the US back in the winter

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Remy's been generally super chill over the last week, other than a pretty scary moment last weekend. I was at my parent's house for mother's day, and my brother's girlfriend's mom came over to socialize. She went out to throw the ball for my parent's dog, and accidently threw it over the fence. So she goes over to the gate, and just leaves it wide open as she steps into the alley to look for the ball; Remy of course dashed out. Thankfully he was in the mood to wander and wandered into a neighbors mostly enclosed yard, so I was able to wait at their gate and grab him. Still kinda shocked that anybody would just leave a gate completely wide open like that... Other than that though, things have been great; have a couple pictures:

He's gotten along just fine with my parent's dog:

I take him to work, and he's great at sleeping:

Also took him to a greyhound meet and greet at a Petco today, one of the adoptable greyhounds is pretty cool:

Another awesome greyhound named Sunny:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

That is so cool I wish I could take a hound to work! Sounds like Remy is settling in well.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Lana ran out the door at a friend's place in another town. I thought she was going to book it to Mexico or wherever dogs go when they run away. Instead she tore rear end around a couple of houses and came back to the door. Also pooped. What a relief.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

A pillow thrown on Tessie became a dog fort. She was surprisingly okay with this.

Casey Update: Stitches were removed, he has a scar to show off, and he got to spend the whole weekend running around my parents' yard.

various cheeses posted:

Lana ran out the door at a friend's place in another town. I thought she was going to book it to Mexico or wherever dogs go when they run away. Instead she tore rear end around a couple of houses and came back to the door. Also pooped. What a relief.
It's probably Mexico, but I say that since I'm in Arizona and Casey has made two attempts to get to the border, only to be stopped by delivery men who were at the right place at the right time.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
We moved and Sassafras is still trying to wrap her head around it. I think she's coming around, but she's spending a lot of time contemplating life.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
No wonder she's having a hard time, she's living in a house underneath a tropical ocean!

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

It was cold on my trip in the mountains this past weekend, so I had to make do with a friend's hoodie.

Shoozy
Apr 11, 2007
^^^That is soooo adorable.

Anna HATES coats. She doesn't like the heat either. We finally found her lower temp limit, which was basically the coldest day during the polar vortex. There was one day where she refused to set foot outside so we just accepted the inevitable accidents.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Remy spontaneously figured out fetching last night, despite having never shown the slightest interest in toys previously. It's still not quite like a normal dog fetching: he'll wait until after it lands, then run and grab it and bring it back to his bed. Close enough though. Also, despite me suggesting against it, my roommate has also been introducing him to the ferrets, and he definitely seems to be losing interest, not spending nearly as much time investigating the door.

Not too many new photos, but I saw this sign at the dog park and had to grab a picture:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Went round to a mates place last night and he and his girlfriend have a pair of pointy dogs:

Harley

Xena

Xena has a crooked nose, probably from a high-speed crash when she was a racer.
It's cute :3: