Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

Alan Smithee posted:

What areas havent you done yet? Shaded woods has some good loot to be had

I've just entered Shaded Woods for the first time now with the branch I got from Last Sinner - not 100% what other areas I might've missed other than the Majula well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Tonight I headed into the Brightstone Coves with 30 cracked red eye orbs in my pocket. The results: 29 kills, 1 death (shameful display). Here is a highlight video for you all! Stick around to the end of it if you want see how to take on a host and two summons with style (and no monster assistance).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMV_Psjk1dE

I'll make another run sometime soon. Got 50 shiny new orbs from the arena.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Doctor Albatross posted:

I've just entered Shaded Woods for the first time now with the branch I got from Last Sinner - not 100% what other areas I might've missed other than the Majula well.

You did Gutter/Gulch? That's all there is down there (thank God) besides the ratbro territory of course

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Tonight I headed into the Brightstone Coves with 30 cracked red eye orbs in my pocket. The results: 29 kills, 1 death (shameful display). Here is a highlight video for you all! Stick around to the end of it if you want see how to take on a host and two summons with style (and no monster assistance).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMV_Psjk1dE

I'll make another run sometime soon. Got 50 shiny new orbs from the arena.

Im curious what are your stats? Are you purely magic or did you pour some into melee

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

You did Gutter/Gulch? That's all there is down there (thank God) besides the ratbro territory of course

I'm having a lot of trouble finding the door to Havel's set in the Gutter. Is it near the bonfire at all? On the plus side, I think I'm starting to extinct some of the mummies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mariposa posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble finding the door to Havel's set in the Gutter. Is it near the bonfire at all? On the plus side, I think I'm starting to extinct some of the mummies.

I never got it myself when I beat it on PS3, I just wanted to be done with the Gutter

think this video shows where
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP3YZCEyF2A

edit: apparently you gotta get the key in Gulch

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 7, 2014

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

My bad on the silly wording; I meant that Shaded Woods is the only unexplored area I know of other than the well so far. I guess I'll try Shaded Woods and then when I hit a roadblock, go for the well.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Alan Smithee posted:

Im curious what are your stats? Are you purely magic or did you pour some into melee

Mainly magic because the short sword obviously has very low requirements. Here are my current stats.

Gear:
Magic Shortsword +10
Sorceror's Staff +9
Bonelord's set +1/+3/+2 head/chest/legs
Desert Sorceress' Gloves +10

If I wasn't lazy I could do a little optimizing. Namely dumping those faith points I currently use for nothing at all and either finding a way to dip under 30% equip load or piling up towards the 50% mark.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can also go to Huntsman's Copse by paying Lucia in the room with the contraption along the way to Heide's Tower of Flame. You have to talk to her in by the second bonfire of Heide's before she'll move though.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Didn't even realize the gray phantoms in the Saints place were players. I kept going back there to use my lockstones thinking that had something to do with getting summoned. Oh well.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Mainly magic because the short sword obviously has very low requirements. Here are my current stats.

Gear:
Magic Shortsword +10
Sorceror's Staff +9
Bonelords set +1/+3/2+ head/chest/legs
Desert Sorceress' Gloves +10

If I wasn't lazy I could do a little optimizing. Namely dumping those faith points I currently use for nothing at all and either finding a way to dip under 30% equip load or piling up towards the 50% mark.

I Have Faith around 20-25 I believe, is that way too much for a magic user? Everyone seems to pump INT and I guess that's because of the wealth of spells that opens up for you

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Doctor Albatross posted:

My bad on the silly wording; I meant that Shaded Woods is the only unexplored area I know of other than the well so far. I guess I'll try Shaded Woods and then when I hit a roadblock, go for the well.

There's good loot down the well but other than the Ratbro territory (Grave of Saints) it's some of the least amount of fun you'll have in the game. You can save it for later if you want

I'm assuming you did Heide's tower right?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Alan Smithee posted:

I Have Faith around 20-25 I believe, is that way too much for a magic user? Everyone seems to pump INT and I guess that's because of the wealth of spells that opens up for you

There are many kinds of magic. Whether you want Faith or Int or both depends on which kind of magic you care about.

A Hexer build is going to want both, probably up to somewhere between 30 and 35. A Sorcerer build is going to want to push for 50 Int (with a whooole lot of Spice set aside for Geyser). A Faith build is gonna shoot for 50 Faith.

Pyromancy you don't really give all that much of a poo poo about Int or Faith because the scaling is negligible.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I love the dragonrider armor. It looks so good on my chufty strength dude.

Now if only it didn't take twinkling titanite. Oh well, grinding those priestesses isn't as bad as grinding clams was in DS1. Hopefully they add them to a vendor in a patch again.

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Do you want to run miracles/hexes? they are also magic. I went to 24 faith, and spiced down Great Heal and Great Magic Barrier, also opens up some hexes but I haven't played much with them. FTH won't really help your Magic Damage but will boost your Dark and Fire if you plan to use either, and some minor casting speed which will probably go unnoticed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

There are many kinds of magic. Whether you want Faith or Int or both depends on which kind of magic you care about.

A Hexer build is going to want both, probably up to somewhere between 30 and 35. A Sorcerer build is going to want to push for 50 Int (with a whooole lot of Spice set aside for Geyser). A Faith build is gonna shoot for 50 Faith.

Pyromancy you don't really give all that much of a poo poo about Int or Faith because the scaling is negligible.

Is there even any pyro worthwhile if you are a magic user with high level spells? When I did my DEX build I'd have a pyro spell here or there but it never made or broke PVP

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I started off pumping INT, but eventually got FTH to 55 (you can get it to 50+ring, or use spices) to use Sunlight Spear. It's a much better boss killer for me than anything else I have; I just managed to beat the Royal Rat Authority, finally, by doing this. And since hexes use min(INT,FTH), unless you're going pure sorcery, having some FTH can't really hurt.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mariposa posted:

I started off pumping INT, but eventually got FTH to 55 (you can get it to 50+ring, or use spices) to use Sunlight Spear. It's a much better boss killer for me than anything else I have; I just managed to beat the Royal Rat Authority, finally, by doing this. And since hexes use min(INT,FTH), unless you're going pure sorcery, having some FTH can't really hurt.

Does the lock on distance get better with scale I forget? I feel like pure magic users lock on from crazy far away in PVP

Bato
Aug 16, 2013

I have found the new meta.
I have yet to trick anyone into falling through the big hole in the Lunar Belfry, but one day I will.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Don't grind Amana. Use bonfire ascetics in the Dragon Aerie. The drakes are easy as poo poo to kill, and there are a crapload of crystal lizards. I think it's six or seven each of petrified dragon bones and twinkling titanite. Also slabs.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Holy poo poo the Dragon Shrine is kicking my rear end.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

There's good loot down the well but other than the Ratbro territory (Grave of Saints) it's some of the least amount of fun you'll have in the game. You can save it for later if you want

I'm assuming you did Heide's tower right?

Yep, long ago! I have to quit for an hour or so, but I'll be making my way into the foggy area of the Shaded Woods next. Eep.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Does the lock on distance get better with scale I forget? I feel like pure magic users lock on from crazy far away in PVP

I don't think so, but I haven't ever upgraded it by a lot at once, so maybe it incrementally has and I haven't noticed. In any case, I mainly use binoculars in PVE for sniping; the range is a lot farther on soul arrows and lightning than the lock distance.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there any benefit to killing the first Pursuer early?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Ring of Blades early, that's it

souls

money women power

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Doctor Albatross posted:

Yep, long ago! I have to quit for an hour or so, but I'll be making my way into the foggy area of the Shaded Woods next. Eep.

Take it slow, it's a decent sized area but if you keep your flanks to a wall or a tree you should at least be able to stand your ground. Couple of items/chests and a merchant there too

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Are great bows worth it for someone with 40 Strength? Is damage the only difference between greatbows and regular ones?

Also, is it worth using a greatshield at 40 Strength or should I stick with a normal one?

Finally, can you powerstance dual Crypt Blackswords?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dragon Aerie does a drat good job of making you terrified the whole way through despite not really having a whole lot that actually fights you

Time_pants posted:

Are great bows worth it for someone with 40 Strength? Is damage the only difference between greatbows and regular ones?

Also, is it worth using a greatshield at 40 Strength or should I stick with a normal one?

Finally, can you powerstance dual Crypt Blackswords?

You can powerstance literally anything if you have the stats for it. Greatshields have way more stability than other shields so you should use them constantly if you have the str.

Greatbows are better for one off sniping jobs, they use tons of stamina per shot and root you to the spot while firing.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 7, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Are there really no decent upgrades to the short bow until you hit the Iron Keep-ish?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elysiume posted:

Are there really no decent upgrades to the short bow until you hit the Iron Keep-ish?

Sea bows drop in No-Man's Wharf.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Burn some coins and murder some archers in FotG or No Man's Wharf and you might luck into a longbow or seabow, respectively. The other alternative is freeing Straid and getting the Dragonrider bow which is decent but has a long draw time.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Dragon Aerie does a drat good job of making you terrified the whole way through despite not really having a whole lot that actually fights you

Too bad the wyverns are chumps, it would've been my favorite area otherwise.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
The amount of bosses in this game with extra little minions to make it more difficult is ridiculous, and the concept behind it is dumb. If you can't make the fight a fight hard and interesting without having to throw swarms of enemies at you, take another year and go back to the drawing board.

I know Dark Souls 1 had boss fights with multiple enemies, but the far majority were 1 on 1's.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

dis astranagant posted:

Sea bows drop in No-Man's Wharf.
The sea bow has slightly higher base damage (72 vs. 65) but way worse scaling on dex (C vs. A).

Control Volume posted:

Burn some coins and murder some archers in FotG or No Man's Wharf and you might luck into a longbow or seabow, respectively. The other alternative is freeing Straid and getting the Dragonrider bow which is decent but has a long draw time.
I could give farming the FotG archers a shot, I guess. Straid is still a ways away.

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Is there even any pyro worthwhile if you are a magic user with high level spells? When I did my DEX build I'd have a pyro spell here or there but it never made or broke PVP

Forbidden Sun comes out pretty fast and does a chunk of damage, but its 3 slots for 1 cast unless you go to 43 ATN, use Saint's Hood, or Black Witch Hat. Greater Combustion is pretty decent punish for people all in your personal space bubble. Chaos Storm was pretty fun but leaves you pretty open. I don't think I've tried any of the fireballs.

edit: Hexer Hood for that bonus cast as well

Nezkar fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 7, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elysiume posted:

The sea bow has slightly higher base damage (72 vs. 65) but way worse scaling on dex (C vs. A).
I could give farming the FotG archers a shot, I guess. Straid is still a ways away.

The main benefit is way more range, 65 vs 45. Dex scaling sucks rear end anyway.

Nezkar posted:

Forbidden Sun comes out pretty fast and does a chunk of damage, but its 3 slots for 1 cast unless you go to 43 ATN, use Saint's Hood, or Black Witch Hat. Greater Combustion is pretty decent punish for people all in your personal space bubble. Chaos Storm was pretty fun but leaves you pretty open. I don't think I've tried any of the fireballs.

Fireball and fire orb are terribad. Their damage is on par with basic soul arrow but they take ages to cast and don't get very many shots. Lingering flame and flame swathe are really good once you get the timing down.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 7, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The longbow isn't going to be a hugely amazing upgrade compared to the short bow anyways so don't worry if you don't get it. The blackbow is the only real bow that's worth a drat in the game.

dis astranagant posted:

The main benefit is way more range, 65 vs 45. Dex scaling sucks rear end anyway.

These are bows we're talking about, they need every point of damage they can get.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Well that's a shame. Guess I'll stick with the shortbow for a while, unless I feel like farming the Wharf. I really do hate that zone, though.

Also apparently if you summon large phantoms for the early Pursuer it doesn't count as a boss kill and then there's no way for them to get a reward. Sorry, Kvothe and Cucumber.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Elysiume posted:

You get Some of the best armor in the game early on, and a really good shield. Easy to kill with phantoms by using the ballista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Acid Surge is great for making people mad, breaking third dragon rings, and hiding your actions. Acid surge -> drakewing greatsword R2 on the bridge arena is fun. Could be used with dual avelyns for fun I bet