Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pull request up for font-scale, Travis passed. I haven't done anything with quotes yet, either up or down; makes increasing the font size somewhat less effective, but that'll need more CSS surgery.

I'll work on the compacting stuff tomorrow if I get a chance; solo parenting this weekend, so it depends on how much laudanum I can get into the kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm giving up on trying to not scrape gang tags when scraping avatars. There's absolutely nothing I can see in the markup that distinguishes someone with no avatar and a gag tag from someone without a gang tag whose avatar is a gang tag image.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The way gang tags are done now is a bit hosed up anyway (someone buys the gang tag as an avatar so it gets on the SA servers, then everyone can use it).

Then there's the fyad-ites with the huge avatars.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Dave posted:

So I quick new look for tag picking / posting a thread:

I don't see any need for the "Pick" button. In the case of SA-Mart, it would auto close when the second object is chosen. I would also maybe make it so that row with the buying/selling badges stays fixed and just the tags scrolled below it. I would also make "Subject..." just a placeholder that gets replaced with the subject text.

I've pushed a commit for the main restyling here - it doesn't include the secondary tag style or the interaction changes yet, but has the theming/icon resizing/blue tick mark (currently not awful-blue) changes. It's also fixed the laggy scrolling that I failed to get to the bottom of a while back - it was all down to the drop shadows.

I'm still unsure about the interactions for a forum with secondary tags - I completely agree that the "Pick" button doesn't need to be there on single tag forums, or the filter. When you say "auto close when the second object is chosen", do you mean in either order (i.e. a primary and secondary tag have to be selected before the view will auto-close)? What about if they've chosen them once and re-open the tag picker? One of each type will be selected from the previous time - should we forget these? Close again when either of them is changed? Maybe I'm overthinking this..

One other thing is that it now looks a bit janky (to me) on iPad, as there's no border on the picker. Have you any ideas how different this should look?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Froist posted:

I'm still unsure about the interactions for a forum with secondary tags - I completely agree that the "Pick" button doesn't need to be there on single tag forums, or the filter. When you say "auto close when the second object is chosen", do you mean in either order (i.e. a primary and secondary tag have to be selected before the view will auto-close)? What about if they've chosen them once and re-open the tag picker? One of each type will be selected from the previous time - should we forget these? Close again when either of them is changed? Maybe I'm overthinking this..

Yeah I meant in either order.

If they already picked a both tags and go back then maybe we put the blue checkmark circle over the chosen tag too, and then whatever one tap they make to change will close the menu, or hit cancel to back out.

Now this does cause the case of if you wanted to change both tags after already picking them once, you would have to open the menu twice, but I feel like that would really be an edge case.

Froist posted:

One other thing is that it now looks a bit janky (to me) on iPad, as there's no border on the picker. Have you any ideas how different this should look?

I haven't. I actually just sold my iPad this week, was never using it, so I'll have to take a look in simulator.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have some questions about how we present settings.

We have some that are in the global settings view, and they all have effects on the whole app. We have some that are replicated in the post view basement-bar flyout (though with different appearance) that are global in effect, but there are also some there that have effects on just the forum (not the thread) being viewed. And there are the YOSPOS/etc special theme pickers, too.

Is this confusing to anyone else? I'd expect to pick forum theme in the thread list, I think, and to have it only apply to the current forum. Now we'll have a font-size stepper that has global effects and will be in both Settings and the flyout. If I change the latter, I think I would expect it to only have effects on the thread or forum in question, similar to how browser font-size adjustments are site-scoped.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this, and should just chill and add the stepper+label to the flyout and get on with my life. :v:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe I'm over-thinking this, and should just chill and add the stepper+label to the flyout and get on with my life. :v:

Yes! :P

Subjunctive posted:

Is this confusing to anyone else? I'd expect to pick forum theme in the thread list, I think, and to have it only apply to the current forum. Now we'll have a font-size stepper that has global effects and will be in both Settings and the flyout. If I change the latter, I think I would expect it to only have effects on the thread or forum in question, similar to how browser font-size adjustments are site-scoped.

Honestly it's hard for me to say because I'm so used to it. Forum theme isn't in thread list because originally forum themes only affected the posts view. I originally thought it was something that should just be in the app settings because you're unlikely to set change you settings much. I'm just so used to it now I don't care. I also agree that in theory, the font setting makes more sense in just the global settings since that's what it changes. However, it will be useful for users to be able to see the post view change as they interact with the stepper.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

However, it will be useful for users to be able to see the post view change as they interact with the stepper.

Yeah, that trumps basically everything. OK, will probably finish this up today.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Having it in the thread list would be a pain for some users too

I know personally I hardly browse outside of my bookmarks on the app

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My daughter is learning French in the other room, and I'm trying to pick up conversational Visual Format Language.

Question from reading the code, more likely ignorance than a bug but:

code:
@"H:|-hmargin-[avatarsLabel(>=themeLabel)]-hspace-..."

@"H:|-hmargin-[themeLabel(>=avatarsLabel)]-hspace-..."
Doesn't the combination of [themeLabel(>=avatarsLabel)] and [avatarsLabel(>=themeLabel)] mean they really need to be equal? Is there a reason that we don't specify it that way?

Edit: OK, I have it working and stuff, but apparently I've boned my github branch somehow.

code:
shaver-mbp:Awful-app shaver$ git status
On branch font-scale
Your branch and 'origin/font-scale' have diverged,
and have 11 and 5 different commits each, respectively.
  (use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)
The remote's 5 commits are the same as 5 I have, but with different commit refs:

code:
$ git log origin/font-scale
commit 1e832dc456a263554ae81361ead695de9ec92bda
Author: Mike Shaver <shaver@fb.com>
Date:   Fri May 2 21:29:06 2014 -0700

Remove all useSmallFonts stuff, actually save fontScale setting.

$ git log font-scale
commit 5da205bd45f6888380e827d994f8c04a83d39de3

I pushed the remote branch with git push -u origin font-scale yesterday.

Should I just delete the existing remote branch and create a new one and push and whistle past the graveyard? Really don't want to gently caress up the repo in a way that makes it ugly forever.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 3, 2014

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Just had my very first iPhone kernel panic, and it was refreshing my bookmarks in awful that did it. (If correlation implies causation with kernel panics, that is.)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I've just pushed a few commits that mostly round off the new thread tag picker changes. The styling is now (mostly) there, and the direct selection (without the "Pick" button) is finished. The only outstanding things are:
  • The placeholder tag image when composing a thread (plus in a dashed square) - I just cropped this out of The Dave's design image, but it wasn't quite the right size. Hopefully you could export a cleaner version? It needs to go at /Resources/Images.xcassets/Empty Tags/unset-tag.imageset/unset-tag@2x.png.
  • The "Subject..." placeholder text - I tried setting this but it didn't work well with colour themes. The only workaround I could see was using an attributed string, but that would mean rebuilding it any time the theme changes. Maybe pokeyman has a better idea here?
  • Styling of the secondary thread tags in the picker - at the moment it's just using the zoomed-up "badge" version, as I'm not really sure the best way to go about using new "big" icons in the picker and small badges once chosen. At one point we had this circle style for the action sheet items - was there some code to draw it on the fly, or were they all images? And do we still want to use this style as we revoked it elsewhere?

Implementation-wise, as far as keeping the secondary icons "sticky" at the top of the view, I ended up separating them into their own fixed-position UICollectionView. To me this simplified a lot of the dataSource code that was switching based on the section (and often adjusting the section index based on the presence of secondary icons), and instead just switches on the calling collection view. It does also mean the collection view layout and cell classes can be swapped out more easily for the secondary icons, which may help with point 3 above.

Edit: I've also just pushed the blurred background for the basement view that I've had stashed for the last 6 weeks. I think The Dave was on board, but it's easy enough to revert if anyone doesn't like it.

Froist fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 4, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

My daughter is learning French in the other room, and I'm trying to pick up conversational Visual Format Language.

Question from reading the code, more likely ignorance than a bug but:

code:
@"H:|-hmargin-[avatarsLabel(>=themeLabel)]-hspace-..."

@"H:|-hmargin-[themeLabel(>=avatarsLabel)]-hspace-..."
Doesn't the combination of [themeLabel(>=avatarsLabel)] and [avatarsLabel(>=themeLabel)] mean they really need to be equal? Is there a reason that we don't specify it that way?

I think that was some of the first Auto Layout code I ever wrote, so I probably didn't have a clue what I was doing. I'd write that now as [themeLabel(avatarsLabel)]. You're right to cock an eyebrow.

quote:

Edit: OK, I have it working and stuff, but apparently I've boned my github branch somehow.

code:
shaver-mbp:Awful-app shaver$ git status
On branch font-scale
Your branch and 'origin/font-scale' have diverged,
and have 11 and 5 different commits each, respectively.
  (use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)
The remote's 5 commits are the same as 5 I have, but with different commit refs:

code:
$ git log origin/font-scale
commit 1e832dc456a263554ae81361ead695de9ec92bda

$ git log font-scale
commit 5da205bd45f6888380e827d994f8c04a83d39de3

I pushed the remote branch with git push -u origin font-scale yesterday.

Should I just delete the existing remote branch and create a new one and push and whistle past the graveyard? Really don't want to gently caress up the repo in a way that makes it ugly forever.

I don't really have an answer here, as it's not clear to me what's causing the problem. If you end up deleting the remote branch maybe name the new one something else so nobody gets confused. Alternately, you could rebase your local branch on top of the remote one.

Froist posted:

The "Subject..." placeholder text - I tried setting this but it didn't work well with colour themes. The only workaround I could see was using an attributed string, but that would mean rebuilding it any time the theme changes. Maybe pokeyman has a better idea here?

I'd just set the label's attributedPlaceholder with the colour. Attributed strings are surprisingly lightweight and this won't be a problem. You can just set the placeholder once in -themeDidChange and it'll be right.

quote:

Styling of the secondary thread tags in the picker - at the moment it's just using the zoomed-up "badge" version, as I'm not really sure the best way to go about using new "big" icons in the picker and small badges once chosen. At one point we had this circle style for the action sheet items - was there some code to draw it on the fly, or were they all images? And do we still want to use this style as we revoked it elsewhere?

Yeah we don't handle the secondary tags very well. Gets confusing in a hurry. When the action sheet buttons looked like that it was just drawn in code, but it doesn't matter to me if we switch to images.

quote:

Implementation-wise, as far as keeping the secondary icons "sticky" at the top of the view, I ended up separating them into their own fixed-position UICollectionView. To me this simplified a lot of the dataSource code that was switching based on the section (and often adjusting the section index based on the presence of secondary icons), and instead just switches on the calling collection view.

Works for me!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, I'll push a new branch with my stuff tomorrow morning, and then futz with branches on my own Awful fork until I understand them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I guess it's naive of me to think drawing the circle with a letter in the middle would be way easier to do with code?

I'll come up with a cleaner icon for the dotted line, hopefully something that has better corners.

And yeah I loved the blurry basement menu.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Dave posted:

I guess it's naive of me to think drawing the circle with a letter in the middle would be way easier to do with code?

I'm thinking it'll be easier in code too, to differentiate the badge representation from the larger button in the tag picker without getting in a mess. I'll dig out the code that used to exist for drawing the action sheet buttons, but probably won't have time to try it out until tomorrow.

I was also wondering if we should replace the "empty" thread and PM tag icon with a text-based "No Icon", similar to the "No Filter" one? (This is just an image rather than actual text rendering, but that's kinda beside the point).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It doesn't seem like the basement background image works. The background behind the first row (username) also seems darker?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just pushed the font-scale changes, though I think I'm going to push another rev that renames it to "Text Size", since that's a little clearer.

I continue to be baffled as to how I hosed up my branches like that, but I'm going to delete them now anyway!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Once you've pushed the new thread tags, make sure you have no pending changes in the other repos. Then:
Bash code:
cd path/to/awful-app
cd Resources/Thread\ Tags
git pull
cd ..
git commit -am "Updated thread tags."
git push

cd path/to/awful-site
cd Thread\ Tags
git pull
cd ..
git push

Hey I tried doing this tonight to add the new batch of tags and ended up here:

Bash code:
******:Thread Tags ******$ git pull
You are not currently on a branch. Please specify which
branch you want to merge with. See git-pull(1) for details.

git pull <remote> <branch>

******:Thread Tags ******$ 

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

Hey I tried doing this tonight to add the new batch of tags and ended up here:

Bash code:

******:Thread Tags ******$ git pull
You are not currently on a branch. Please specify which
branch you want to merge with. See git-pull(1) for details.

git pull <remote> <branch>

******:Thread Tags ******$ 

Whoops. Try these updated instructions (changes "git pull" to "git pull origin master"):

Bash code:

cd path/to/awful-app
cd Resources/Thread\ Tags
git pull origin master
cd ..
git push

cd path/to/awful-site
cd Thread\ Tags
git pull origin master
cd ..
git push

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Dave posted:

It doesn't seem like the basement background image works. The background behind the first row (username) also seems darker?

How do you mean doesn't work? It looks ok to me on an iPhone 5; I just realised I never tested on a 3.5" screen but looks ok in the simulator there too. Or do you mean "doesn't work" as in you don't like the feature?

The username background was intentional as it's like a header - I just preserved the original styling, but could easily make it the same as the other list items.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh I meant like it looks like the background is still just black. I'll try to snag a screenshot.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Here it is:

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Dave posted:

Oh I meant like it looks like the background is still just black. I'll try to snag a screenshot.

Whoops sorry, stupid mistake on my part. I'd forgotten to add the image back into the project file but as I'd not cleaned the build it still worked on my side. Should be fixed now!

Also I've just pushed the new style secondary thread tags, drawn in code as we suggested yesterday. Unfortunately there's no existing information that converts the tag image name to "Buying", "Trading" etc, and nothing helpful in the HTML that we can scrape. As it's only six tags across the whole forums (that I know of - two for Ask/Tell and four for SA Mart), I've created a new plist file (SecondaryTags.plist) which maps an image filename to a text string and colour.

Edit: One downside about the blurred basement design is that it highlights that problem we had a while back with list separators randomly disappearing :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Such a weird little error. Is there something else that could be used as a separator?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

I didn't have much luck posting this before and pokeyman has said repost before so I'm doing it:

What's going on here and how do I fix it?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

theadder posted:

I didn't have much luck posting this before and pokeyman has said repost before so I'm doing it:

What's going on here and how do I fix it?

I'm guessing you tapped a link to something (a post or the thread) that Awful didn't realize it should handle internally, so it's opening it in the browser. What happened just before the browser opened?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

It happens whenever I touch to go back to a quoted post.

Nothing else that's odd seems to be happening in the app.

It's been this way for a while now and it's 100% reliably broken.

I guess I'll try and reinstall later.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

:havlat: WE DID IT! :gonchar:

theadder posted:

It happens whenever I touch to go back to a quoted post.

Nothing else that's odd seems to be happening in the app.

It's been this way for a while now and it's 100% reliably broken.

I guess I'll try and reinstall later.

Which post has the quote that causes the problem? It should be a very easy fix.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

This is completely minor, but my phone doesn't show any indication when I click to mark a thread read up to a given post. The color changes, but it's hard to see on the dark theme, and it no longer puts up the check mark saying "thread marked" or whatever. Not a big deal, but thought you should know.

tuzy2k
Sep 17, 2007

Am I missing something here? I cannot figure out how to browse sub-forums from within the app. For instance, I cannot access the MMO HMO that us under Games.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

tuzy2k posted:

Am I missing something here? I cannot figure out how to browse sub-forums from within the app. For instance, I cannot access the MMO HMO that us under Games.

Click the arrow on the left side of "Games" on the main forum screen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Idea I've been thinking of a lot lately:

Would it maybe alleviate swapping between forums / bookmarks if we introduced a new gesture to open the sidebar no matter where you are on iPhone? Like a two finger swipe would collapse your whole path to show the basement.

I'm really going to go kicking and screaming before letting that tab bar come back!

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

The Dave posted:

Would it maybe alleviate swapping between forums / bookmarks if we introduced a new gesture to open the sidebar no matter where you are on iPhone? Like a two finger swipe would collapse your whole path to show the basement.

I'm really going to go kicking and screaming before letting that tab bar come back!

If the sidebar is the Forums/Bookmarks/Setting menu, I think a long press on the < icon in the upper left should open that menu.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

:havlat: WE DID IT! :gonchar:

Which post has the quote that causes the problem? It should be a very easy fix.

I was able to replicate it with your quote of my post, with Brain Curry's quote of The Dave and Drastic Action's quote of tuzy2k.

It happens every time I've done it in YOSPOS recently, also.

It seems to be all posts with quotes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ClydeUmney posted:

This is completely minor, but my phone doesn't show any indication when I click to mark a thread read up to a given post. The color changes, but it's hard to see on the dark theme, and it no longer puts up the check mark saying "thread marked" or whatever. Not a big deal, but thought you should know.

I thought I'd give this a try, hoping that the colour change would be enough of an indication. (If it fails you'll get an alert.) My usual route is to mark my place and then immediately bail out of the thread, and I found the little "success" thinger more annoying than useful.

The other problem with "just set the post backgrounds" is there's no feedback whatsoever if you mark what was the last-read post as last-read.

Another thought I've had is when you tap the "Mark Read to Here" button in the sheet, it turns into a spinner. But I dunno how useful that is, or where to go from there.

The Dave posted:

Brain Curry posted:

If the sidebar is the Forums/Bookmarks/Setting menu, I think a long press on the < icon in the upper left should open that menu.

Currently long-pressing the < pops you all the way back to the root (so if you were in Forums > IYG > Awful thread > Other thread you tapped a link to get to, long-press on < gets you back to Forums). Wouldn't be hard to play with that or add something new but similar.

As I see it, the basement only makes sense with a much flatter hierarchy than Awful tends to have, especially with the system-wide pan-from-left-edge gesture to go back a screen. Submiiiiiitttt to the taaaaaaaaabs

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

theadder posted:

I was able to replicate it with your quote of my post, with Brain Curry's quote of The Dave and Drastic Action's quote of tuzy2k.

It happens every time I've done it in YOSPOS recently, also.

It seems to be all posts with quotes.

Can you long-press the link and copy the URL, then paste that URL here? I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, because I can't reproduce what you're seeing.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

The Dave posted:

Let me :spergin: my thoughts into more coherent mess:

There are five basic actions: "back", "post", "share", "settings", "forums".
There are only four corners, so right now "forums" is the loser.

No idea how hard it would be, but could the "post" action be also represented as last post in the thread view? Then its four action and four corners, so "back" in top left, "share" in top right, "settings" in bottom right, "forums" hamburger in bottom left.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think you're crippling yourself with having an action per corner. I mean we could shoehorn a hamburger button in the bottom left of our post view toolbar and have complete space for everything still. Putting post at the bottom of a thread page could cause the issue of mis-hits with people just trying to get to the next page. Could be totally wrong though, you never know until you test.

I still stand behind the current method of navigation because I still envision it in an app that has way more features (buddy list, archives, search, SAclopedia, gloryhole). I feel like the rapid switching between bookmarks/forums causes all the friction and some of that usage is a little dubious. However, I feel the idea of having a shortcut that opens the menu no matter where you are is a bit of a compromise to alleviate that friction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

The Dave posted:

I think you're crippling yourself with having an action per corner.
Putting post at the bottom of a thread page could cause the issue of mis-hits with people just trying to get to the next page

Four corners is sort of ideal scenario for reading SA on a morning subway commute, when all I have are my thumb, lots of caffeine and low spacial awareness.

Just to clarify, the post button would appear just after the very last post in the thread, not on every page.

• Locked thread