Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Soonmot posted:

It is not afraid to be a superhero show.
It's not now but it took them loving long enough. It's not until season two that they bring in trick arrows and actual super powers - up until that point they're so desperate to be Christopher Nolan's Realistic Batman it's embarrassing. The highlight of this is when they bring in Huntress and Ollie gets to give her a bunch of Batman lectures on not killing while he straight up murders dudes all over the shop.

Rhyno posted:

Originally he was just Batman with arrows.
So the TV show is just being true to it's roots?

For content, have something from Quantum and Woody #3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Pretty sure it's Avengers v1 #5:

Rick Jones was the Wesley Crusher of his day, right?

I'd think if I was a kid during that time, I'd be tired of his dopey rear end.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red posted:

I'd think if I was a kid during that time, I'd be tired of his dopey rear end.

Rick was more of a Kato Kaelin type -- loved hanging around with the big stars. He didn't usually contribute very much.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Rick Jones was that kid from the Justice League episodes where they meet pastiches of the JSA, except without the reality warping powers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

That's terribly unfair; he was at least Lucas Wolenczak.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I thought Snapper Carr was the Wesley Crusher of his day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

Rick was more of a Kato Kaelin type -- loved hanging around with the big stars. He didn't usually contribute very much.

They used him to create a lot of good character moments for characters in early Marvel. Cap kept having Bucky flashbacks while training him, Hulk became increasingly scary to the point that even Rick Jones couldn't hang out with him without feeling threatened, he was Captain Marvel's grounding to humanity despite being a weird overly-honorable warrior alien.

He was a lot more elegant than your usual Robin types, despite not exactly being anyone's favorite character.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

They used him to create a lot of good character moments for characters in early Marvel. Cap kept having Bucky flashbacks while training him, Hulk became increasingly scary to the point that even Rick Jones couldn't hang out with him without feeling threatened, he was Captain Marvel's grounding to humanity despite being a weird overly-honorable warrior alien.

He was a lot more elegant than your usual Robin types, despite not exactly being anyone's favorite character.

That's fair -- I was thinking of "contributing" in terms of "winning the fight", but he was definitely important as a character. I really liked him when he was essentially the main character in Peter David's Captain Marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pilchenstein posted:

It's not now but it took them loving long enough. It's not until season two that they bring in trick arrows and actual super powers - up until that point they're so desperate to be Christopher Nolan's Realistic Batman it's embarrassing. The highlight of this is when they bring in Huntress and Ollie gets to give her a bunch of Batman lectures on not killing while he straight up murders dudes all over the shop.

So the TV show is just being true to it's roots?

For content, have something from Quantum and Woody #3:

I sort of miss the tone of first season Arrow, where he was Avenging Marxist Batman, killing slumlords and sweatshop owners.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Skwirl posted:

I sort of miss the tone of first season Arrow, where he was Avenging Marxist Batman, killing slumlords and sweatshop owners.

I can't even remember where they went with the whole father's secret notebook thing. Did they ever actually resolve that plotline, or did it get dropped in favor of bigger and better things?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It turns out that the notebook was the list of dirt held by the Undertaking Project, so when Malcolm Merlin was taken down Ollie went on to figure out the bad guys on his own.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Sorry for digging this up but thanks to whoever posted about the paperinik comics (which I remember being called PK). I was born in Italy and I used to read the Italian Disney comics (Topolino, which is the name of Mickey Mouse in Italian). I was around ten when PK came out and I still remember buying the very first comic of the series. I was hooked, I bought all of them but I had to leave Italy while the series was ongoing. It's the only comic series I ever remember following when I was young and I had completely forgotten about it. So thanks for reminding me of it, it has brought back some good memories, I might ask my parents if they still have copies of my old comics lying around.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Red posted:

No, that was Snapper Carr.

Edit: poo poo, beaten. Well, anyway, Peter David's version of Rick Jones was great: He's been around since the dawn of the Marvel Universe, seen pretty much everything, even gotten superpowers a couple of times, so he's pretty much able to roll with any crazy situation he's in, but still keep a normal perspective on life.

So of course he's the loving Abomination now.

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 7, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
A-bomb. You meant he's the A-Bomb now.

Edit: I actually miss the whole Hulk family thing he had for a while there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Edit: poo poo, beaten. Well, anyway, Peter David's version of Rick Jones was great: He's been around since the dawn of the Marvel Universe, seen pretty much everything, even gotten superpowers a couple of times, so he's pretty much able to roll with any crazy situation he's in, but still keep a normal perspective on life.

One of the odder moments for Rick Jones in that Hulk run happens in #375 and it requires a bit of set up. You see, Peter David had just decided to write Rick back into the Hulk series and he was dealing with a Skrull invasion where he goes to get the help of the gray Hulk (who is starting to have his psyche fracture again). So the story goes that the Skrulls capture Rick, Betty, and the Hulk and there's a fight and you've read comics so you know how this goes. Anyway, Peter David gets to the end of 375 where he has the Hulk disable the Skrull ship, grab Betty, and jump clear of the explosion just in time for the last page of the issue.

Then he realizes he didn't write a way out for Rick. Well, he's scripted everything except the last page and is on a deadline so what he does is this:

And that's how Rick Jones was in Peter David's Hulk.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

One of the odder moments for Rick Jones in that Hulk run happens in #375 and it requires a bit of set up. You see, Peter David had just decided to write Rick back into the Hulk series and he was dealing with a Skrull invasion where he goes to get the help of the gray Hulk (who is starting to have his psyche fracture again). So the story goes that the Skrulls capture Rick, Betty, and the Hulk and there's a fight and you've read comics so you know how this goes. Anyway, Peter David gets to the end of 375 where he has the Hulk disable the Skrull ship, grab Betty, and jump clear of the explosion just in time for the last page of the issue.

Then he realizes he didn't write a way out for Rick. Well, he's scripted everything except the last page and is on a deadline so what he does is this:

And that's how Rick Jones was in Peter David's Hulk.

I guess I didn't read enough comics from that period, because why is Rick dressed exactly like Bucky?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

rotinaj posted:

I guess I didn't read enough comics from that period, because why is Rick dressed exactly like Bucky?

He did a stint as Bucky for a while after Cap got unfrozen.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He's also bonded to several incarnations of Captain Marvel.
I don't have sources, but they're not funny panels either.

Subtle Superman cape cameo there.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 7, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I want to read an analysis of Rick Jones from the perspective of a literary theorist.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember loving this series (Criss-Cross art and all) but worry that it wasn't as good as my memory tells me it was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

Subtle Superman cape cameo there.

Also Batman's utility belt, Hawkman's boots and the Eye of Agamotto pinning up his sleeve.

Man, I really hope the rest of the Peter David run on Hulk gets collected. The Visionaries line wound up with about one TPB's worth of Dale Keown pencilled issues. After that they could've done something like "Hulk by Peter David and Gary Frank" (I know Jan Duursema did a short run in between Keown and Frank).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 7, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

Also Batman's utility belt, Hawkman's boots and the Eye of Agamotto pinning up his sleeve.

Man, I really hope the rest of the Peter David run on Hulk gets collected. The Visionaries line wound up with about one TPB's worth of Dale Keown pencilled issues. After that they could've done something like "Hulk by Peter David and Gary Frank" (I know Jan Duursema did a short run in between Keown and Frank).

Bigger version:

I'm not very familiar with Hawkman, but I had thought the boots were from a voodoo-based villain whose picture I can't find. The "chicken feet" comment is what sticks it in my brain.

Edit: upon further review, I figure I must have been thinking of Black Talon, who had actual chicken feet -- no boots needed.

Bonus picture that Google's image search thought I wanted to see.

prefect fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 7, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

I'm not very familiar with Hawkman, but I had thought the boots were from a voodoo-based villain whose picture I can't find. The "chicken feet" comment is what sticks it in my brain.

I checked the annotations in the TPB and it turns out I was wrong; the boots actually belong to the Falcon.

The more you know.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
EDIT: Nope, never mind.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

prefect posted:

Edit: upon further review, I figure I must have been thinking of Black Talon, who had actual chicken feet -- no boots needed.

Requisite Deadpool #29

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

prefect posted:

Bigger version:

Wonder Woman's bracers... One of them is hanging off his belt :haw:

Also is that Black Talon related at all to this Black Talon

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think I see a ring.... wonder what color it's supposed to be.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
It must be annoying to lose the one sleeve you actually use.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

KayTee posted:

I thought so, too, but it's not. It's the bracer he would be wearing on his left wrist, if he had one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KayTee posted:

Nah, those are the nega-bands he uses to become Captain Marvel.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

prefect posted:

Bonus picture that Google's image search thought I wanted to see.

This is from Avengers #198, where the Avengers fight Red Ronin, a giant robot piloted by a young boy. If you think Wonder Man and the Beast look like they're drunk and singing, you're right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Red Ronin is loving radical. A borderline-offensive giant samurai robot designed to fight Godzilla, that ended up being used well after Marvel lost the Godzilla license. I loved when the Sentry had a flashback of fighting Red Ronin in one of the New Avengers issues.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Requisite Deadpool #29

Every time I see this page I get flashbacks to that Aqua Teen Hunger Force with the chicken shaman.

Rise chicken. Rise. Rise chicken.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Requisite Deadpool #29

Which came first, this or the Spider-Man/Paste Pot Pete one that are like, panel for panel clones in my mind?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Sorry for digging this up but thanks to whoever posted about the paperinik comics (which I remember being called PK). I was born in Italy and I used to read the Italian Disney comics (Topolino, which is the name of Mickey Mouse in Italian). I was around ten when PK came out and I still remember buying the very first comic of the series. I was hooked, I bought all of them but I had to leave Italy while the series was ongoing. It's the only comic series I ever remember following when I was young and I had completely forgotten about it. So thanks for reminding me of it, it has brought back some good memories, I might ask my parents if they still have copies of my old comics lying around.

That would be me.

And PK is quite awesome, even if it never got a release in the NA or much of a followup after PKNA2 failed (that I know of).

A shame, because this is the series where alternative dimensions had things like...

IMPERIAL VIKING JET FIGHTER PATROLS

Our heroes jumping out of the burning wreckage of their aircraft...

...To face down a pack of wolves with their bare hands

Seriously, stay away from Gotland. It's full of Viking Imperialists :colbert:

#24 - Twilight, not really funny panels but- no wait, there's one here:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 7, 2014

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Oh, Marvel. Marvel, Marvel, Marvel.

(Recap page for Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man #1)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

d00gZ posted:

"relating to physical, especially sexual, needs and activities."
It's not only sexual. It's still a silly way to word it though.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Senor Candle posted:

"relating to physical, especially sexual, needs and activities."
It's not only sexual. It's still a silly way to word it though.

i know it's technically correct but come ON, man

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Don't kink shame Galactus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

d00gZ posted:

And I thought New Jersey was hosed beforehand.

• Locked thread