Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Kavak posted:

Oh thank God, it's not just me.

I figured all the students were writing poo poo like "Mad props to Benny Franks" in our US History notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Astrofig posted:

Mine was one of them; the so-called 'weighted grade' classes made it possible to get a 5.0 but I'd never heard of it being possible to get higher than that....

I graduated as valedictorian with a GPA of 5.7. My high school went up to 5.0 for normal classes, and then tacked on another point if it was dual-credit, honors, or above your grade level. Combine that with a lovely school and apathetic teachers, and the lowest recorded grade I ever had in high school was a 97 or whatever the standard Phys. Ed. grade was.

VVVVV
I'm not bragging about it; it's really loving stupid that I was able to graduate with a 107 because our textbooks were decades old and our coursework never changed after elementary school. Honors-level senior english classes shouldn't be using the same grammar worksheets that we used in 5th grade.

Preem Palver has a new favorite as of 18:16 on May 1, 2014

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Yeah well my gpa was a million and all the teachers held a party for me and gave me beer all the time

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

College prep classes did not actually prepare me for college. My experience at all levels of college has been one of "Whoa drat. poo poo is hard" for the 1st semester. Then I adapt to it.

Two more weeks till Finals, and I only have two finals. I compiled a list of poo poo that needs doing for my next week, and it basically reads "write a novel using all the papers that are due next week".

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sudonim posted:

This reminded me of something I hated: Graded class notes. How I remember your stupid class is my business, just grade me on how well I know the material. I understand note-taking is a skill but not one that should be a graded part of a humanities or mathematics class, assholes!

I was lucky--I stopped having to do this after I left high school. Seriously, notes are for you to learn from and review material from. If they help you, why the hell should it matter how they're written? The only professors who do this are the type-A ultra-anal dickwads who have to control every small aspect of their classes.

To add content, professors/teachers who refuse to retire even after it's become painfully obvious that they should no longer be teaching because their absentmindedness is reaching harmful levels. I had a physics professor who looked EXACTLY like that famous poster of Albert Einstein--the bushy hair, flyaway eyebrows, and the white mustache. I'm sure he was a great teacher 20 years ago, but he had to be pushing 70, and he was forgetful to the point where it was almost scary.

He'd do things like assign us labs, then the next day forget he'd assigned them. He'd spend weeks going over material, then give a test on completely different material. When we asked him questions, he'd get impatient and give vague non-answers until the questioner just gave up. It was easily the worst class I've ever taken in all my academic life. I was lucky to escape it with a C.

Fritz Coldcockin has a new favorite as of 18:44 on May 1, 2014

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Alter Ego posted:

Awful physics professor

I briefly had an ancient Physics 101 professor who wore his pants halfway up his torso, used a pocket protector, and generally looked like he crunched numbers in the control room back when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. He didn't teach from our absurdly expensive textbook but still tested from it and gave us bafflingly stupid examples about "a cow-shaped dot" and questioned us on "If gravity is acting on you equally to the Earth pushing back, then how do you manage to move around?"

He refused to accept "our mitochondria generate adenosine triphoshate and the detachment of an inorganic phosphate releasing energy is what overcomes physical resistance" as an answer. I dropped the course two weeks in because I didn't like walking out of class feeling dumber than when I walked in. Fortunately, basic physics was also taught by a pair of women who treated every lecture like an episode of Beakman's World and made physics awesome.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Alter Ego posted:

Awful physics professor.

Oh god. That reminds me of my awful O Chem professor with the stammer. She had obviously been through a speech therapy program for it, but all they taught her was to replace "er" or "um" with "okay".
We would literally be given sentences like, " okay and that is how you synthesize this compound, okay? Okay. Okay, next..."
:bang:
It was torture sitting through that class. I wanted to rip my own ears off and shove them down her throat to shut her up. Myself and 3 other students actually counted how many okays she said in one class period. There was some disagreement as to the exact number, but it was somewhere between 206 and 243 in 90min.:suicide:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You should have borrowed one of those people counters.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

TunaSpleen posted:

I briefly had an ancient Physics 101 professor who wore his pants halfway up his torso, used a pocket protector, and generally looked like he crunched numbers in the control room back when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. He didn't teach from our absurdly expensive textbook but still tested from it and gave us bafflingly stupid examples about "a cow-shaped dot" and questioned us on "If gravity is acting on you equally to the Earth pushing back, then how do you manage to move around?"

He refused to accept "our mitochondria generate adenosine triphoshate and the detachment of an inorganic phosphate releasing energy is what overcomes physical resistance" as an answer. I dropped the course two weeks in because I didn't like walking out of class feeling dumber than when I walked in. Fortunately, basic physics was also taught by a pair of women who treated every lecture like an episode of Beakman's World and made physics awesome.

So you gave a smart-rear end answer to a physics problem, and somehow he's the bad guy?

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Irradiation posted:

So you gave a smart-rear end answer to a physics problem, and somehow he's the bad guy?

I was among 20 other biology students because it was the class for non-physics majors. Several of us contributed that answer but the old fart didn't appreciate not getting to see our pained facial expressions. If a student acknowledges that they're the force that keeps themselves from remaining at rest, they should be encouraged instead of insulted.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

TunaSpleen posted:

I was among 20 other biology students because it was the class for non-physics majors. Several of us contributed that answer but the old fart didn't appreciate not getting to see our pained facial expressions. If a student acknowledges that they're the force that keeps themselves from remaining at rest, they should be encouraged instead of insulted.

Just because you're a bio student doesn't mean that you should be throwing bio answers at every class.

EDIT: Also, if you're answering like that, the energy itself isn't responsible for overcoming the resistance; it's your muscles that exert the force.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The important part is that you were a self-righteous rear end to an old man. You and 20 other people certainly showed him.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

TunaSpleen posted:

This is why every instructor dreads teaching "X for non-X majors" classes

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

The Chairman posted:

This is why every instructor dreads teaching "X for non-X majors" classes

Yeah. Sharing a class with every other major in a C++ class was really painful... Also, the guy was throwing non-physics answers at a physics question. I'm also fairly certain stuff being shaped like a ball or dot is the simplification for physics problems because circles are easier to use/simplify the problem.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
A professor that hates tenure, would like for it to be abolished, and has referred to it as a tool to protect bad professors should not gleefully and instantaneously accept a tenured position and then brag about it. You know, just saying.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The bragging part I get. You should at least shamefully admit that this is the only way you feel confident to starting your family or beginning to do x, y, or z or something.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

N. Senada posted:

The important part is that you were a self-righteous rear end to an old man. You and 20 other people certainly showed him.

Before or after he demonstrated how horribly one can possibly teach a subject by hastily scrawling a bunch of equations without explaining them and asking trick questions for his own amusement? Teaching to non-majors should be an effort to inspire them to have some interest in your field beyond the classmate who said "ugh when will I ever use this, if I find a raccoon in a pulley or something?" At least the other professors made it interesting by explaining the physics of flight in birds and the light spectrum we use to see. And no loving cow-shaped dots or anything idiotic like that.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

College non-complaint: The professor for my Botany lecture(I'm not a botany major) is a good teacher. Dudes from Ohio so he says things with the best accent "Cu-Curba-tacae":allears:.

College Complaint: Can't sleep through class because the Hindu club is doing the Festival of Colors right outside the buildings and every girl is screaming loud as gently caress.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A White Guy posted:

College Complaint: Can't sleep through class because the Hindu club is doing the Festival of Colors right outside the buildings and every girl is screaming loud as gently caress.

At least your room isn't 20 yards from the quad at a uni where quiet hours don't kick in until 11 (1 on the weekends :suicide:)

kells
Mar 19, 2009
The 3 other people in my group assignment have now dropped out of the class. I don't mind that much though, I mean it's more work for me to do but I don't have to go through the pain of group work sooo...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

kells posted:

The 3 other people in my group assignment have now dropped out of the class. I don't mind that much though, I mean it's more work for me to do but I don't have to go through the pain of group work sooo...

Are you in a country with a different schedule, or did they actually drop the class in the last month of the semester?

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Kavak posted:

Are you in a country with a different schedule, or did they actually drop the class in the last month of the semester?

Nope, it's the last month!

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
gently caress Desire2Learn. I've got an entirely online, discussion-based course and it is completely impossible to hold a drat discussion with its discussion format. Just make it a loving proboard! Everyone gets a user profile and a name at the TOP of their posts, and discussions might actually happen instead of the walls of text the instructor seems to want us to use. Bonus points: She doesn't feel like writing a final, so she's grading our posts in the last section as our final. I'm fairly certain I had an existential crisis mid-post and nobody's noticed yet. Still have a ten page paper and a final. Is the semester over yet? :smithicide:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Well, I have a final in a few hours that's just two in-class essays worth about 25% of my grade, because my professor is a dickhead who doesn't assign any graded work during the semester.

He also pronounces it "re-NAY-sance" like loving Ted Mosby. Oh, and he pronounces ouija board as "wee-ya." It's unbelievably pretentious.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

TunaSpleen posted:

Before or after he demonstrated how horribly one can possibly teach a subject by hastily scrawling a bunch of equations without explaining them and asking trick questions for his own amusement? Teaching to non-majors should be an effort to inspire them to have some interest in your field beyond the classmate who said "ugh when will I ever use this, if I find a raccoon in a pulley or something?" At least the other professors made it interesting by explaining the physics of flight in birds and the light spectrum we use to see. And no loving cow-shaped dots or anything idiotic like that.

It is a great concept mastery question.

Here is another version: "If for any force, there is an equal and opposite force, how does anything move?"

This is newtons 3rd law. Fa = -Fb

"Our mitochondria generate adenosine triphoshate and the detachment of an inorganic phosphate releasing energy is what overcomes physical resistance" fails to take into account that if you kicked the earth, its normal force kicks back with the same force. The forces would match and no one would win the "tug o war."

F=ma, earth and man kick each other when you jump, and they do feel the same force. Mass of earth >>> Mass of man. Earth effectively gets no acceleration from the kick, but if you kick harder then your weight, the Normal force of the earth kicking back overcomes gravity.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
There's this woman in my class that I wish would just stop talking during class.

She's gives these kinda flirty / kinda inappropriate / kinda suck up replies to the instructor. Like the instructor was asking the class for something to search for in google. She replied "A hot date for friday night."

Another time, he asked for the definition of some word and she went "I can give an analogy - Dress right for a hot date."

It's kinda creepy and I'm getting second hand embarrassment from having to listen to this each week.

Grawsome
Jun 28, 2008

Keep those nuts away from my face!
It's happened. My school has decided that we all need $300 lunch plans beginning next year. Just one more year, just one more year.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My advisor told me my independent study to graduate would only have to be 6-10 pages as I'm taking half semester classes. I got an email from my department head last night asking why it was only 7 pages when it is supposed to be 20 pages. I now have two days to write a completely different paper that is 20 pages, with 10 sources, and must include a proposal. This is required of me to graduate this semester.

diabeticmoodswing
Nov 13, 2012
I am a lazy piece of shit with zero discipline that leeches of her {ED: FTFY) crippled family. I pretend to have problems and know the DSM front to back rather than admit my failings are of my own creation. Please pity me and tell me what I want to hear.
I'm in the middle of finals week. Bombed my Spanish presentation but managed to not completely gently caress up my other exam today. Have to pack all of the poo poo in my room and move it out. Down four flights of stairs. I've been dreading it all year.

My complaint: the loving Wi-Fi.

I live in one of the largest residence halls on campus (Freshman, hello.) and there are two access points. For a building of ~175 girls. Two. Access. Points. From the hours of 5pm to 1am the Wi-Fi is actually non-existent. I guess that's when everyone decides to do homework or stream Netflix. It was worse during the winter because you had to walk through the cold and the wind to get to the library to use the internet.

Petty complaint: My class has an exam at 9:00 am and the class is usually at 1:30 pm :(

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have 5 Monster Energy drinks sitting the fridge. I'm going to drink all of them in the next few days. I'm basically down to one (5 pages) paper that needs turning in, now I just have to steady. Upside: Teacher handed out grades today, not going to fail my hard classes. Downside: I need to do well (at least a middling C) in order to pass the class.

If I haven't offed myself by next Tuesday, then I've made it. Finals pressure man :smithicide:

Beastie posted:

My advisor told me my independent study to graduate would only have to be 6-10 pages as I'm taking half semester classes. I got an email from my department head last night asking why it was only 7 pages when it is supposed to be 20 pages. I now have two days to write a completely different paper that is 20 pages, with 10 sources, and must include a proposal. This is required of me to graduate this semester.

Find someone who has adderall. Eat every caffiene pill you can find. Don't sleep. Hallucinate while doing proposal. Get A+. Good luck and god speed, brave soldier.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Find someone who has adderall. Eat every caffiene pill you can find. Don't sleep. Hallucinate while doing proposal. Get A+. Good luck and god speed, brave soldier.

Yeah, Beastie, you're already on something awful when you should be writing, some adderall would do you a world of good.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Good god, don't mix goddamn caffeine and amphetamine salts unless you want your heart to pump itself to shreds

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Good god, don't mix goddamn caffeine and amphetamine salts unless you want your heart to pump itself to shreds

In that case, take the adderall only. Just make sure you keep focused on that paper, elsewise you'll be bruising reddit as hard as you can for however long it takes to work itself out of your system.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I watched my first year suitemate literally lick his lips into bruised and chapped raisin - like skin when he was studying on adderal. He would also have weird panic attacks and we'd give him unsolvable math problems to calm him down for a couple of hours.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jaramin posted:

I watched my first year suitemate literally lick his lips into bruised and chapped raisin - like skin when he was studying on adderal. He would also have weird panic attacks and we'd give him unsolvable math problems to calm him down for a couple of hours.

And this poo poo is legal? I'm sticking to coffee.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Eleven pages done, and I still have three out of my five topics left to cover and plenty of source material to draw from. No drugs were taken, unless you count ice coffee and a sugar cookie. I put in ten hours today. I've got all day tomorrow. Well, I do have to take a final tomorrow but the professor thinks I'm the golden child as I'm the only person in our class of fifteen kids who consistently shows up and answers questions/understands the material. I'm not worried about the exam. I figure if I spend a good seven hours typing and another two revising and making my references air tight I just might pull this off.

I'm going to get so loving hammered on Friday if I pull this off. So loving hammered. :viggo:

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Adderall always made me decide to skip class and chainsmoke if I took it on a regular day, but if I actually had something to write or whatever, it was a loving godsend. Congrats on being halfway done though, dude.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Last week of graduate school. Thesis due Tuesday. Final paper in another class and a poster presentation of my research Friday. One job interview today, another also on Friday.

So close to freedom after seven years of college.

So close.

So...

:smithicide:

Oh and my thesis research turned out not to be significant.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Why is it bad to victim blame in this context? What planet do we live on again?

Earth, but it's the kind of Earth where people don't want to take responsibility for their own stupidity. So...it's Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Kavak posted:

One girl in my Spanish class dropped in the last two weeks of the second term. :psyduck:

How much do you have to hate yourself to throw all that time, hard work, and money away?

Hipster Occultist has a new favorite as of 08:37 on May 8, 2014

• Locked thread