Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Any recommendations for an iPad app for doing music theory exercises? Want to expand my skills while on the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!

I just bought this and I am truly impressed. I played my old SG Special through it and the tones are massive and very responsive. Great stuff!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
NanoStudio is half off for the weekend. I picked it up because I need an iOS sequencer on my iPhone. Also I don't want to spend 40 bux on Gadget yet...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Pretty much every music app in the world is on sale for 4/20 Easter.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Eegah posted:

Pretty much every music app in the world is on sale for 4/20 Easter.

drat, GlitchBreaks is pretty loving fantastic.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Does anyone know of any good vocal processing apps for iPad? I'm still learning Auria so I'm not comfortable recording on it yet and GarageBand doesn't have any EQing options.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Speaking of sales grab TC-11 on sale this Friday. :)

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
OP still updating the thread? if not should we have a new one?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Why do you need a new one

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Epileper posted:

OP still updating the thread? if not should we have a new one?

:blush: I'm sorry, I must admit I haven't kept up with iOS music apps in the past couple of months. If somebody wants to make a new thread with a more up-to-date OP, go ahead. I'm currently storing the screenshots from the OP in my dropbox and I can send them to the new thread poster, if he/she wants to continue using them.

Edit: or I'll just leave the pictures where they are so you can just use the current links.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 3, 2014

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

gently caress Your Website posted:

Why do you need a new one

there have been so many developments since the OP was last edited, audiobus came and has been superseded by audiobus 2, samplr happened, Thor, Effectrix, so much...

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm looking at buying a CZ-101 and want its lovely entry-level 80s preset sounds preserved in all their glory. What do I need to record the hardware sound of a synthesizer into an iOS DAW?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

try it with a lime posted:

I'm looking at buying a CZ-101 and want its lovely entry-level 80s preset sounds preserved in all their glory. What do I need to record the hardware sound of a synthesizer into an iOS DAW?

You'll need a class-compliant or iPad-specific USB audio interface that's either powered by the iPad or a powered USB hub. Behringer makes small stereo interfaces that don't cost much and can be powered off the iPad's USB bus.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

you could use the headphone port as a line-in?

or, if you need that for output, you can use a behringer UCA-202/222 with a usb-idevice adapter
the 202 i mentioned is like $30, adapter another $20/30.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 7, 2014

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
iGot an iRig Pro mainly for using with electric guitar.
It unlocks a couple pedals and amps in the free amplitube so I messed with that a bit. I also played around with garage band for a while and the amp/pedals in that aren't too bad for what I paid for it (zero dollars). It looks like with the PRO model you can use the midi at the same time as the other input so you can control the pedals in amplitube using a midi controller while playing which sounds kinda handy. I've got an M-Audio 25 key keyboard around somewhere I could play around with. I have animoog and maybe some other stuff that would work with.

Any other cool software I should check out?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

get audioshare to make swapping audio rly easy, audiobus for obv. reasons, and samplr if you have an ipad

Sugarbytes ports of turnado,WOW,and effectrix and the AUFX series of apps are good FX apps, compatible with audiobus

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Jam synth is really cool. It turns an audio source into midi to pipe through a synth.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

if you're heavy into synths i suggest both sunrizer and thor, thor is more flexible but sunrizer has a great, thick sound while still having a very good layout (almost every parameter is on one screen and wisely placed, keys included). thor is great and capable of more synthesis types than sunrizer but i wish its user interface were designed a little better like sunrizer :\

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 13, 2014

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Focusrite ipad dock needs to be out soon. Winter NAMM announcements are the worst.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sunrizer is almost perfect to me, except that crap where it insists on defaulting to iTar 1 or whatever on startup. More than once I've lost a patch I was working on because I switched apps and it got purged.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Looks like I might be playing my first solo show this summer, and because of logistics and money I'll only be using my iPad! My current plan is to run my tracks in NanoStudio, tweak select synth parametres in real time with an iCon iControl and play samples live with a KORG NanoKey 2. Very exciting! I've only ever played one show years ago and that was a noise thing where it didn't really matter what I played, so this is on a pretty different level of seriousness and requires quite a bit of planning and rehearsing.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Looks like I might be playing my first solo show this summer, and because of logistics and money I'll only be using my iPad! My current plan is to run my tracks in NanoStudio, tweak select synth parametres in real time with an iCon iControl and play samples live with a KORG NanoKey 2. Very exciting! I've only ever played one show years ago and that was a noise thing where it didn't really matter what I played, so this is on a pretty different level of seriousness and requires quite a bit of planning and rehearsing.

Sounds great :) Make sure to record the show! I'd love to see it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

Sounds great :) Make sure to record the show! I'd love to see it.

I'd definitely love to get some sort of recording of it, if at all possible. If not video, then at least audio. I personally won't have anything else than my cellphone with me, so it'll probably be up to my contacts in Germany, but I'll try to figure something out IF a show indeed happens!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
BIAS is on sale for half price, but it bugs me that they have a separate iPhone and iPad version. If the iPhone one was half the price it would make sense, but they are both normally $20. The JamUp Pro XT app is also on sale, but that works on both.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

So, Audiocopy. With some apps I can actually store sounds in its "library" or whatever (Figure). Some I can only do basic cut and pasting from one to another (Samplr, Nave). Is this an update thing? Did some apps get left out of the new features because they weren't updated to accomadate them, or am I just missing something profound here.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

BKPR posted:

So, Audiocopy. With some apps I can actually store sounds in its "library" or whatever (Figure). Some I can only do basic cut and pasting from one to another (Samplr, Nave). Is this an update thing? Did some apps get left out of the new features because they weren't updated to accomadate them, or am I just missing something profound here.

The new AudioCopy requires apps to update to the latest AudioCopy SDK, or it will no longer work as it should, due to a change Apple made in iOS 7. If an app isn't using the latest SDK, you end up using the general system pasteboard.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Another thing on sale: Loopy and Loopy HD are half off.
Just picked up BIAS Amps, Loopy HD, and Audiobus (not on sale, but it seems pretty essential and awesome)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

JHVH-1 posted:

Another thing on sale: Loopy and Loopy HD are half off.
Just picked up BIAS Amps, Loopy HD, and Audiobus (not on sale, but it seems pretty essential and awesome)

Thanks for the tip, grabbed Loopy as well!

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

if anyone's interested, there's a music group collab going on in another subforum and all my submissions were made mainly with Samplr on iPad:
https://soundcloud.com/illegalknife/sets/adn-project-2014

sometimes i use a monotron delay hooked into a tascam so i can provide ambient noise or vocals, but other than that it's all sampling.
some proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxpCksCzgcQ

more proof later :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Epileper posted:

if anyone's interested, there's a music group collab going on in another subforum and all my submissions were made mainly with Samplr on iPad:
https://soundcloud.com/illegalknife/sets/adn-project-2014

sometimes i use a monotron delay hooked into a tascam so i can provide ambient noise or vocals, but other than that it's all sampling.
some proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxpCksCzgcQ

more proof later :)

Well done :) Samplr is is one of those few apps that really seem at home on a touch screen device.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

and more proof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRPjX4WiR9Q

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

New app! TC-Data is a MIDI / OSC controller based on TC-11. Check it out:

http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-data/

https://vimeo.com/97844430

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

lord funk posted:

New app! TC-Data is a MIDI / OSC controller based on TC-11. Check it out:

http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-data/

https://vimeo.com/97844430

That acutally looks like exactly what I need at the moment. I recently got a CVpal USB-to-CV Eurorack module, which I'm using with the Little MIDI Machine iPad app so far, but a more "hands on" controller would be really cool too.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So about two years ago, when I first got an ipad, I picked up a tone matrix app I saw on AppShopper called Beatwave. It was fun, but really limited with a bunch of cheesy sounds and no way to make anything more complex than a simple four beat bar. I looked it up and turns out it to have been abandoned by its shovelware dev. Oh well, it was just a couple dollars.

Today I see it has a new icon, and I open it to find it has been redesigned top-to-bottom in iOS 7 style with a bunch of new instruments and effects and composing features and Audiobus support. :pwn:

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

yeah man. i dont know if you care for my poo poo (soundcloud.com/illegalknife) but i make ALL of it with an ipad plus controllers or mics. poo poo is very advanced, only getting moreso. this excites me since my macbook was stolen... but not my ipad air :D. coke fiends are dumb and impulsive

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

in case anyone in this thread is still without Samplr, i made another vid with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSYdNEgpkyM

i know i use it alot but that's because it feels like an actual instrument to me, it makes so much sense. you don't program Samplr, you play it, you perform it, and that's what I love about it :)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Retronyms just submitted iMPC Pro to the App Store, with a promise that current iMPC users will get some sort of discount. They discounted the regular version to $2, so I'd get that to save on Pro.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 3, 2014

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
I'm a big fan of Xewton's Music Studio because it is complex enough to let you get a good mix but simple enough to keep you from overproducing things. I've used it for all the tracks I've done (almost all of which have been recorded on my iPhone, https://www.soundcloud.com/ghosttownlobby).

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Retronyms just submitted iMPC Pro to the App Store, with a promise that current iMPC users will get some sort of discount. They discounted the regular version to $2, so I'd get that to save on Pro.

Just looked it up: Will be available on the 8th. Normal price of $20, available for $13 at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

And you don't need to have the original for the discount, my bad.

• Locked thread