Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's a photoshop, it has to be a photoshop. Please be a photoshop :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

He's playtesting 4 player mode. There's two more under the table for his feet.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Supercar Gautier posted:

The duality of man. In one hand, Sakurai holds a light controller. The other, dark.

The light side reveals fan favorites and arranges delightfully funny poses. The dark side mockingly deconfirms every character on your wish list.

So what side was responsible for Brawl's balancing and how much fire do I need to kill it?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Why does Wonder Red being a trophy mean that he's not going to be a playable character?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'd say it harshly decreases his chances, because if he was a character, why not just reveal him straight off, preferably at E3 or a Direct for max effect?

I do agree that this isn't the definitive no being an assist trophy gets you.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My happiness has been crushed with todays picture.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Its mentioned that there are trophies of the other Wonderful 101, which in general would indicate they're one of the franchises kept as trophies for now. The only other way is Sakurai trolling to throw things off, but I really doubt it in this case.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

pandaK posted:

Why does Wonder Red being a trophy mean that he's not going to be a playable character?

Considering even the playable fighters have had trophies as well I have no damned clue.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't care about Wonder Red as long as King K. Rool makes it into the game in some capacity

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pandaK posted:

Because they wouldn't be showing a trophy version of a playable character. They've shown multiple trophies before and each time it is someone who isn't going to be playable.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Little Mac got in.

All this means is that the Wonder Red that will get in will have to be Tall Wonder Red, or Fat Wonder Red or something.

Maybe Metal Wonder Red, to go with Nintendo's thing with lazy recolours lately.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Mac was a trophy in a previous game, and I don't think had come at all on the Miiverse before his announcement trailer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crawfish posted:

Little Mac got in.

All this means is that the Wonder Red that will get in will have to be Tall Wonder Red, or Fat Wonder Red or something.

Maybe Metal Wonder Red, to go with Nintendo's thing with lazy recolours lately.

Fat Mac wasn't shown until the actual Little Mac announcement. The post for him is even "this guy is also Little Mac."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They should've at least made him all glossy and shiny :saddowns:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

This only heightens the chances for either a W101 level which would be awesome, or Bayonetta being revealed as a guest character. I do agree that it sucks that the character could be in but instead gets the trophy treatment, especially because the moveset for him would be tops.

Wonder Red as DLC

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
A W101 Level would be awesome.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

This only heightens the chances for either a W101 level which would be awesome, or Bayonetta being revealed as a guest character. I do agree that it sucks that the character could be in but instead gets the trophy treatment, especially because the moveset for him would be tops.

Wonder Red as DLC
A W101 stage would be amazing. Like big blue but with more insane crap happening everywhere.
I was wondering who do we have on the roster that represents a Wii U only character?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

So what side was responsible for Brawl's balancing and how much fire do I need to kill it?

Careful, since presumably the other side balanced melee.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Clearly every trophy reveal he's shown so far will be playable.
I eagerly await Saria vs. Wonder Red vs. King Kihunter vs Pseudo Palutena during the E3 tournament.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

At least it looks like they're making new models for a lot of the trophies instead of half-assing it like Brawl. (That is a new model, right?)

Then again, a lot of the more obscure/not mainstream ones got new models anyway so who knows.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think the switch to HD is going to force them to redo models for the trophies. 3DS might be a different story.

If I remember right, most of the good looking trophy models from Brawl were based on things from GBA/DS games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I missed 3D chat but as a reminder, a large portion of the population is stereoblind and the increasing reliance on stereoscopy to enhance media is kind of annoying. The 3DS does it right by making it exceedingly easy to just switch it off, sot hat people who can see 3D and like it can experience it and go "Whoa, cool!" and the rest of us can look at it without seeing a blurry and terrifying mass of color.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Color Printer posted:

At least it looks like they're making new models for a lot of the trophies instead of half-assing it like Brawl. (That is a new model, right?)

Then again, a lot of the more obscure/not mainstream ones got new models anyway so who knows.

Kurtofan posted:

I think the switch to HD is going to force them to redo models for the trophies. 3DS might be a different story.

If I remember right, most of the good looking trophy models from Brawl were based on things from GBA/DS games.

They kept re-using (with new textures) models from goddamn Pokemon Stadium right up until they released that Pokedex 3D app on 3DS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The impact and comfort of the effect is gonna differ from individual to individual, there's not much you can do to get around that.

I will say that framerate is one of the big factors in reducing 3D fatigue - if a game has a low and/or uneven framerate it'll make the 3D effect a lot harder to enjoy. The new Zelda and Kirby games focused on 60FPS 3D, so people are enjoying the effect in those games a lot more than they might have previously, and Smash 4 will also run at 60FPS in 3D, more or less.

Also games with fixed perspectives work a ton better than other types of games, so things like Zelda ALBW, Super Mario 3D Land, Star Fox, Pilotwings or Mario Kart, where the camera is always a fixed distance from some player model which "floats" in the middle of the screen, and then everything else just recedes into the screen from that, feel really comfortable and the 3D is especially dramatic.

Supercar Gautier posted:

The duality of man. In one hand, Sakurai holds a light controller. The other, dark.

The light side reveals fan favourites and arranges delightfully funny poses. The dark side mockingly deconfirms every character on your wish list.

This makes me want to do some kind of two-headed-giant 2v2 battle :haw:

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Remakes of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire are coming out in November. So basically Sceptile confirmed for Brawl Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

e: vvv he's a badass dinosaur, it's not his fault kids are dumb and terrible

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 7, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I am Reverend posted:

Remakes of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire are coming out in November. So basically Sceptile confirmed for Brawl Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

I know you're talking about making a Grass Starter a fighter to balance the Fire and Water (of which I approve), but was Sceptile ever that popular? I know he was on the main character's team in the anime, but I can't remember kids picking it too much in-game. I know I didn't like how frail it was.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

God is dead.

At least there's still hope for Bayo for Smash :v:

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

I am Reverend posted:

I would prefer Treecko; Sceptile would just be another mid-size fighter, while Treecko could be a suitable replacement for Squirtle with elements of Ivysaur. Either way, I'd be happy to see a representative for each starter type on the roster.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I know the conversation about fitting huge stages like new pork city onto the 3DS screen was a few pages ago, but it occurred to me today that this could be solved if both screens on the 3DS were used. What if one screen showed a zoomed out view of the entire stage, and the other showed a close-up of the character you're controlling? That way it would be really easy to both see what the characters are up to who are far away from you, and also see your character of choice from close-up to control them with precision.

We don't really know how the game will utilize both screens of the 3DS do we? It would be boring if all the action was on one screen and the other screen was solely used to show the character health and portraits.

My biggest worry about the 3DS as a console isn't the screen use though - I'm worried that playing smash on the 3DS buttons will be like playing it holding the wii remote sideways, also known as the worst control method devised by man.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rooreelooo posted:

I know the conversation about fitting huge stages like new pork city onto the 3DS screen was a few pages ago, but it occurred to me today that this could be solved if both screens on the 3DS were used. What if one screen showed a zoomed out view of the entire stage, and the other showed a close-up of the character you're controlling? That way it would be really easy to both see what the characters are up to who are far away from you, and also see your character of choice from close-up to control them with precision.

We don't really know how the game will utilize both screens of the 3DS do we? It would be boring if all the action was on one screen and the other screen was solely used to show the character health and portraits.

That's actually a really good point. That'd work pretty well.

Rooreelooo posted:

My biggest worry about the 3DS as a console isn't the screen use though - I'm worried that playing smash on the 3DS buttons will be like playing it holding the wii remote sideways, also known as the worst control method devised by man.

Yeah that's a legitimate concern. Ironically the WiiU controller is actually the best pro gaming controller Nintendo's put out for years. But the 3DS leaves a bit to be desired. Still, XL seems decently comfortable.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rendering a separate image on each screen would probably be too much of a toll on performance, and probably would have been mentioned by now.

But the button layout should be fine. The Wiimote didn't have analog control, 4 diamond face buttons, or reasonably placed bumpers/triggers. The 3DS has all of those things!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I haven't played w101, but I take it that part of the idea of the game is that you control 101 characters at once, right? Maybe the 3DS wouldn't be able to handle that many things on screen for attacks or whatever.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Not having Wonder Red as a playable character seems like a real missed opportunity.

The Wii U is struggling, and Smash Bros may be one of the biggest chances to save it, and since half the point of SSB is getting people excited about other Nintendo games, playing as Wonder Red might've enticed people to try out Wonderful 101 the way Marth and Roy got people interested in Fire Emblem.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Chernabog posted:

I haven't played w101, but I take it that part of the idea of the game is that you control 101 characters at once, right? Maybe the 3DS wouldn't be able to handle that many things on screen for attacks or whatever.

No see, the point is you are one of the Wonderful 101. Everyone is. There is a superhero in all of us.

Also, if Choir Boy from Rhythm Heaven does show up as all the rumors claim, I bet a lot of people are gonna be mad seeing who got excluded while he made the cut.

e: but then again people will be mad regardless of, well, anything

Excels fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 7, 2014

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Excels posted:

No see, the point is you are one of the Wonderful 101. Everyone is. There is a superhero in all of us.

Also, if Choir Boy from Rhythm Heaven does show up as all the rumors claim, I bet a lot of people are gonna be mad seeing who got excluded while he made the cut.

Rhythm heaven is a pretty cool game series though, I'd like to see it happen. Shame about wonder red though :(

That said as long as King K. Rool DOESN'T get in I'll be happy. I'm sorry but he is the ugliest piece of turd and I've never been able to stomach his look.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gamwhiz1 posted:

That said as long as King K. Rool DOESN'T get in I'll be happy. I'm sorry but he is the ugliest piece of turd and I've never been able to stomach his look.

I hope he gets in and replaces whichever character you wanted most. :mad:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Excels posted:

Oh, okay.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I hope he gets in and replaces whichever character you wanted most. :mad:

:gonk: What a cruel threat!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rhythm Heaven seems like the type of franchise to have a stage but not a fighter. The game's not built around a singular character, but a stage that frequently changes like the WarioWare stage in Brawl would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

Rhythm Heaven seems like the type of franchise to have a stage but not a fighter. The game's not built around a singular character, but a stage that frequently changes like the WarioWare stage in Brawl would be perfect.

It's on that list that hasn't been wrong yet, so basically i'm waiting for Shulk, Palutena and Choir Boy to get announced

• Locked thread