Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

field balm posted:

I started working on an OP for a pauper thread like 2 years ago and never posted it - its out of date now though: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TsMAQkrjmnLRFAZg0jvXhtnMyzfW7j_iOS8zZBWBNN0/edit

Do you guys think a pauper only thread would get enough use? It's my favourite format, I'm sure the same goes for other people too.

I think it's fair to say at the moment the top decks are mono-B, mono-U, affinity and UGR-tron.

Infect/hexproof aggro and that weird freed from the real combo deck seem to be pretty common but not great unless they hit xmasland. Burn and goblins always seem to be about.

Personally, I'm playing a 4 coloured brew and a bit of dead dog for old times sake.

^^ if I join another match with 1 hour clocks against that tortured existence deck....

I'm a recent convert to tortured existence and if it takes an hour clock to win a game you sure aren't doing it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Does anyone else think monored might be just a little bit too strong in the MTGO cube?

Honest question, not bitching. I both play it when I just really want to win, and also hate losing to it.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So my pick for sleeper rare of the set is Hypnotic Siren. MonoB is losing its draw engine, aggressive creature, undercosted fatty, and half of its removal. Azorius/esper control is losing its board wipe, its best removal spell, its draw engine and its win condition. GR monsters is faring better but is still losing Domri Rade which is a big deal, along with any bloodrush dudes they were running (basically just Rampager). MonoU is losing two two-drops that were decidedly mediocre but played only for their double-U mana costs, as well as Judge's Familiar/Cloudfin Raptor, which can be replaced directly by Siren. The fact that it's a fine turn 1-2 play and a backbreaker in the late-game means I think it's going to be a four-of in a lot of aggressive decks once the rotation hits.

There's still M15 and the new block to give various decks things and create new ones. Before Theros came out, no one would have predicted mono-black or mono-blue decks being a pretty big thing. Likewise, there were certain decks that looked really good on paper but performed like crap (G/W, I'm looking at you).

What I'm curious about is what kind of cards have been seeded in Theros block to hint at the future. Some of the ones in RtR block stuck out like a sore thumb (Ethereal Armor and Sphere of Safety), but there's nothing offhand in Theros block that strikes me as an obvious plant.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

RoleModel posted:

There's still M15 and the new block to give various decks things and create new ones. Before Theros came out, no one would have predicted mono-black or mono-blue decks being a pretty big thing. Likewise, there were certain decks that looked really good on paper but performed like crap (G/W, I'm looking at you).

What I'm curious about is what kind of cards have been seeded in Theros block to hint at the future. Some of the ones in RtR block stuck out like a sore thumb (Ethereal Armor and Sphere of Safety), but there's nothing offhand in Theros block that strikes me as an obvious plant.

True, but people tend to be fairly conservative and until a new deck tears up the Pro Tour or a high-profile SCO the money will chase cards that we know slot into existing decks. Also, I just love Hypnotic Siren.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

RoleModel posted:

All the ones that care about how many of a type of basic you have maybe?

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Oh please no. I've had enough time in mono-colored land. We don't need mono-colored, basic-land land as well.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1488

What a great picture to show that people are really enthused about getting made into a token.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

All the ones that care about how many of a type of basic you have maybe?

I think those are just so devotion players aren't hosed by the lack of devotion in Journey outside of the Gods.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Awesome. I just found out that this summer's PTQ season will be for Honolulu. Sadly it won't be modern format for the actual pro tour itself but who cares you're going there to surf.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Angry Grimace posted:

I think those are just so devotion players aren't hosed by the lack of devotion in Journey outside of the Gods.

On the other hand if there are fetchland reprints coming in the next block then those should interact with each other. Also if that's true, then it's more likely that the block would be another 'lands matter' block, which MaRo has stated he's really enthusiastic about doing again.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
After reading this, where planeswalkers are taken down several notches:

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Great_Mending

I'm left confused. What are the players supposed to be, if not planeswalkers on this former epic scale?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kraus posted:

After reading this, where planeswalkers are taken down several notches:

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Great_Mending

I'm left confused. What are the players supposed to be, if not planeswalkers on this former epic scale?

Richer/older players are more powerful planeswalkers like urza while young ones and college students are xenagos scrub tier. Many speculators think they're urzas but are really tibalts.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Promoted Pawn posted:

On the other hand if there are fetchland reprints coming in the next block then those should interact with each other.

There aren't. Forsythe as much as said "hope for 2015" when talking about how blindsided WotC was by the jump in fetch prices.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

tzirean posted:

There aren't. Forsythe as much as said "hope for 2015" when talking about how blindsided WotC was by the jump in fetch prices.

And imagine how shocked you'll be if they actually are this year.

It's not like he would say "yup you got us watch out for them later this year" when questioned about the price rise in fetches.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I just did a 4th edition +legends cube draft at a friends house. It was pretty ridiculous. We were allowed to trade cards before matches started. Instead of rolling for first we went by converted mana cost of the bottom card of your library, and every game was played for ante. I played U/B control with Mind Twist, Mahamoti Djinn, and Royal Assassin.

Highlights include one opponent playing Kird Ape into Giant Strength and beating my rear end down really badly. Another opponent went turn one Dark Ritual Hypnotic Specter 2 games straight (I won one of those games anyway thanks to having a Phantom Monster to block and Mind Twisting away all of his good cards.)

A third opponent killed me from 15 with Channel + Disintegrate. Then he sided in Circle of Protection blue & black against me, so I Mind Twisted his hand, and beat him down with his own Gabriel Angelfire with Animate Dead on it. I also had a Sleight of Mind to beat his Circle of Protection but ended up not needing it.

The cube is missing a lot of cards but the ones that are in it are pretty nuts. The card assortment, much like 4th edition, is made up of a few fairly costed creatures, some insanely broken cards, some overpowered color hosers, and some totally unplayable garbage. There are a lot of Walls and not much removal, and it's very important to figure out what colors are open so you can get some good stuff. It really captured the feel of old-school magic. Will probably do it again.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
To understand a little bit about the stack, priority, and how things resolve I want to offer a situation that might arise while playing my EDH and see if I get the result correct.

I have 40 life, Serra Avatar, Disciple of Griselbrand, and Toxic Deluge in hand. I cast Toxic Deluge and pay 20 life and in response use Disciple's ability to sacrifice Serra Avatar. With my understand Serra Avatar will be at 20/20 (after the cost of Toxic since my life will be at 20) which will net me 20 life from Disciple's ability, effectively returning me to 40 life but with Disciple in the grave and Serra back in my deck. Am I correct in my understanding in how this would resolve?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Oraculum Animi posted:

To understand a little bit about the stack, priority, and how things resolve I want to offer a situation that might arise while playing my EDH and see if I get the result correct.

I have 40 life, Serra Avatar, Disciple of Griselbrand, and Toxic Deluge in hand. I cast Toxic Deluge and pay 20 life and in response use Disciple's ability to sacrifice Serra Avatar. With my understand Serra Avatar will be at 20/20 (after the cost of Toxic since my life will be at 20) which will net me 20 life from Disciple's ability, effectively returning me to 40 life but with Disciple in the grave and Serra back in my deck. Am I correct in my understanding in how this would resolve?

Yes. As long as no one interrupts that, it should work.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

field balm posted:

Do you guys think a pauper only thread would get enough use? It's my favourite format, I'm sure the same goes for other people too.
I just got into MTGO, and I've been playing a ton of pauper. I'd be super interested in a thread.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MTGO is hardcore mode for MTG players are too used to the rules consistently working and cards doing what they are supposed to. The added variance shows who the true masters are.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Oraculum Animi posted:

Why would you not just sac the Avatar before casting Toxic Deluge and gain 40 life?

Fun fact: Vampire Nighthawk has been printed in SIX different sets in the last 4 years, and only twice in standard-legal expansions.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

uggy posted:

And imagine how shocked you'll be if they actually are this year.

It's not like he would say "yup you got us watch out for them later this year" when questioned about the price rise in fetches.

In all honesty, I'd be perfectly fine if they just shoved the full set of fetches in a special set and just declared the Onslaught ones Modern legal. All of the demand for fetches is from Modern/Legacy players and I don't really want to shuffle all day every day.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oraculum Animi posted:

EDH

Griselbrand in hand.

Cheater.

And yes, it will work how you said. But like Tharizdun said, there's really no reason not to sac the Avatar first and gain an extra 20 life out of it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tharizdun posted:

Why would you not just sac the Avatar before casting Toxic Deluge and gain 40 life?

Fun fact: Vampire Nighthawk has been printed in SIX different sets in the last 4 years, and only twice in standard-legal expansions.

Because Vampire Nighthawk is good everywhere.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

RoleModel posted:

Gild and King Macar. :getin:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

RoleModel posted:

Sable and Lamia tribal. You heard it here first.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

TheLawinator posted:

I'm a recent convert to tortured existence and if it takes an hour clock to win a game you sure aren't doing it right.

I played that UW Reality Acid deck for a while. Talk about a grind!

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

RoleModel posted:

MaRo has a cryptic answer about this, as always:

MaRo's Tumblr posted:

quote:

the-englishman-abroad asked: I have a sneaky suspicion that there are a few creatures in JOU that are foreshadowing Huey Block... If I'm right which ones, I may just be a little excited... : )
I cannot confirm anything but I will say it’s all right to start getting excited. : )

Personally I think he's referring to the basic land creatures, which may lead credence to the idea of another land matters set. But since MaRo's responses are essentially text versions of Rorschach tests, take from it what you will.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cunso posted:

MaRo has a cryptic answer about this, as always:

I cannot confirm anything but I will say it’s all right to start getting excited. : )

Personally I think he's referring to the basic land creatures, which may lead credence to the idea of another land matters set. But since MaRo's responses are essentially text versions of Rorschach tests, take from it what you will.

He literally said in a column that that cycle was designed to continue to reward single colour decks without it being more devotion cards, as with the gods being two-colour and deovtion, there wasn't much to push a single colour in the set.

mehall fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 7, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

mehall posted:

He literally said in a column that that cycle was designed to continue to reward single colour decks without it being more devotion cards, as with the gods being two-colour and deovtion, there wasn't much to push a single colour in the set.

It was also because they wanted to only have devotion on the gods to show the mortals were done with worshipping.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm thinking Mindreaver and Godsend have something to do with the next block. They also recently relaxed the punishments for deck registration errors if the error is not believed to have been committed in bad faith. I think they did that because deck registration will be come a little trickier when cards with the same name come in different colors and have different rules text.

Mindreaver is the sleeper rare.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Mindreaver is just the requisite Bad Do-Nothing Blue Rare, every set has to have one.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Entropic posted:

Mindreaver is just the requisite Bad Do-Nothing Blue Rare, every set has to have one.
It looks like someone wanted to reprint Grimoire Thief and someone wanted to print more wacky blue heroic cards and between the two getting squished together they had a terrible card baby.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."
As I speculated a few dozen pages ago, I am guessing that Gold will feature in the next block.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

I fully believe that its going to be a 2-5 dollar rare, as it, along with hypnotic siren will help keep the mono-blue deck a thing in standard post rotation.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Madmarker posted:

I fully believe that its going to be a 2-5 dollar rare, as it, along with hypnotic siren will help keep the mono-blue deck a thing in standard post rotation.

I fully believe you're wrong and that it's a bad card.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Entropic posted:

To be fair, people play a lot of bad cards in Mono-Blue Devotion.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

I don't think anyone believes it's a good card, I think the argument is that it's a 2-drop that powers up Thassa and Master of Waves once frostburn et al rotate out.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Oh it is a bad card, however, its a 2 power 2 drop that grants 2 blue devotion. If Master of Waves and Thassa didnt exist, I would agree with you.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Yeah, barring M15 stuff this will be the only UU 2CMC permanent in Standard and will be an obvious four-of if MonoU remains a thing. Replacing Cloudfin Raptor with Hypnotic Siren and Frostburn Weird with this guy will substantially depower the deck though, so we'll see what happens. It's useless to speculate without knowing what's in the large fall set, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

It looks like someone wanted to reprint Grimoire Thief and someone wanted to print more wacky blue heroic cards and between the two getting squished together they had a terrible card baby.

I forget who said it but "Avoidmage Prodigy" seemed very apt.

• Locked thread