Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, I've had fun talking about how heavily politically-charged fiction portrays its messages. Way more enjoyable than actually watching this joyless show, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Episode one was abysmal, so I'm just going to assume by the last page of this thread that it only gets worse. I think it truly lost me around the point where Mr. Perfect was beating up an entire clan of ninjas, until the head ninja laid eyes upon his sister. They fought about it but the conclusion was off-screen because he loses and showing our perfect protagonist losing would be sin, but being 'not the best magical ninja' is merely a character building flaw.

"Magic High School" anime just makes me wish Mx0 were an ongoing manga series with an anime adaptation.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 7, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shere posted:

Episode one was abysmal, so I'm just going to assume by the last page of this thread that it only gets worse. I think it truly lost me around the point where Mr. Perfect was beating up an entire clan of ninjas, until the head ninja laid eyes upon his sister. They fought about it but the conclusion was off-screen because he loses and showing our perfect protagonist losing would be sin, but being 'not the best magical ninja' is merely a character building flaw.

"Magi High School" anime just makes me wish Mx0 were an ongoing manga series with an anime adaptation.

Yeah it gets way worse because it stays that bad but eventually starts talking about its far right-wing politics. There's literally an episode where they cut out the ED just so that they can fit in the main character's speech about how all rich people work hard to deserve their money, and that poor people are just jealous of rich people, with the heavy implication that poor people are only poor because they're lazy. If there was an iota of self awareness in the writing they'd address the fact that he was born into a rich family, but that would really ruin his uh, "point" about how people are just jealous that rich people became rich through hard work.

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 7, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Shere posted:

"Magi High School" anime just makes me wish Mx0 were an ongoing manga series with an anime adaptation.

Don't remind me. I miss that manga so much and the ending was the most ham-fisted "Got cancelled, better wrap it up in 2 chapters" I have ever read.
I forsee this thread turning into a list of anime/manga that people should be watching/reading instead of this show. So far we've got Mondaiji and Mx0, so I wonder how many more we'll add to this list by the end of the season.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

In their defense, that ninja fight did look pretty good.
The show will never do that again though and it will just be He Who Walks Through Walls annihilating everything with one-hit-kill magic waves.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For current season stuff, the best shows are Jojo, Mushishi S2, and Ping Pong and all of them are worlds better than this in pretty much every metric I can imagine.

Heck, to keep this on topic and to have a little fun, I'll make a comparison and say that Ping Pong's protagonist is quite the opposite of Tatsuya. Smile's this guy who has a few friends, but most of the other people in his team think he's a bit weird. He has talent, but he's not automatically the best at everything, especially because of some major weaknesses: he just doesn't have the drive to be competitive, and he takes pity on his opponents if he knows what losing will do to them. Obviously that's quite the flaw when we're talking about competing in a sport!

Compare that to Tatsuya who is unconditionally loved by everyone and literally the only people that dislike him are shown to be jackasses or terrorists. Dude is perfect with magic, and everything else. And he doesn't have any real flaws to speak of because let's face it, we're talking about a self-insert character here. Not having a personality isn't a flaw in this case because it means the viewer can more easily project themselves, with the only real characteristics of note being "hates poor people" and "thinks oppressed people shouldn't try to rise above their station". But joking about the deplorable views aside, it's not a flaw because it doesn't impede him in any way. 5 episodes in and he hasn't even been mildly inconvenienced by it! It's a fake flaw, basically.

tl;dr - If you are not watching Ping Pong and are watching this, what the hell man go and fix that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He still hasn't said anything about poor people or rich people. He only pointed out that Blanche was making non magic people think magicians didn't work hard themselves.

His flaws are totally manufactured, though. He's supposed to be an anti social loner genetically designed to only feel love for his sister but he has tons of friends by the end of the first episode anyway.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

At the end of episode 4 he literally talked about income disparity.

Like, he literally says that people with high income earn so much because their skills are important.

Heck, here's the line:

"But the reason that magicians' median income is so high is because the high-income bracket includes people with skills that are crucial to society."

And that's presented as a rebuttal to the line:

"The fact that someone's abilities and efforts aren't reflected in their social status, perhaps?" (which is in response to the definition of discrimination)

And another gem:

"What Blanche sees as discrimination is the gap between median income."

It's insanely hard to not read a certain set of ideals out of this! He is quite literally rebuking the idea that hard work may not always bring results. (Not to mention the implication about how it's not discrimination, they're only poor because they don't work hard)

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 7, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

"What Blanche sees as discrimination is the gap between median income."

It's insanely hard to not read a certain set of ideals out of this! He is quite literally rebuking the idea that hard work may not always bring results. (Not to mention the implication about how it's not discrimination, they're only poor because they don't work hard)

Alright, that's fairly incriminating.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Srice posted:

But joking about the deplorable views aside, it's not a flaw because it doesn't impede him in any way. 5 episodes in and he hasn't even been mildly inconvenienced by it! It's a fake flaw, basically.

It's like people who say "I tend to focus too much on the details" when asked about their weakness in job interviews.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

"Their proposal is to abolish the differences in society caused by magic. Just this, by itself, is an unimpeachable and correct idea." (Tatsuya)

"...Yes." (Miyuki)

"In that case, what is this so called difference?"

"An individual's talent or hard work does not reflect adequate compensation from society...?"

"I just said, Miyuki, think outside the box."

As he said this, Tatsuya picked up the remote control from the table, and turned to the screen. There were sixteen different pictures, one of them was brought forward and magnified.

"Blanche is a political organization on the surface. Their evidence for Magicians receiving preferential treatment comes from the difference in salaries between Magicians and non-Magicians. The difference they speak of is the difference in mean wages. But that's nothing more than an average, a single result. They do not consider the extent of hardships that Magicians go through to obtain their high salaries. They also ignore the fact that Magicians are only allowed to work in fields pertaining to magic, even if these backup Magicians would receive lower salaries than ordinary office workers."

Tatsuya's voice was bland and almost completely emotionless. However, a tiny trace of melancholy could be detected.

"No matter how capable or strong, so long as society does not need that magic, monetary compensation and recognition remain impossible."

Miyuki painfully lowered her gaze. Tatsuya stood, paced a few steps, then tenderly placed a hand on his sister's shoulder.

"There is a reason why Magicians have such a high mean salary. That is because society requires certain specialized Magicians. Because there are a small number of outliers that throw off the average, the mean salary becomes so high. Next, for Magicians active on the frontline and capable of contributing to society — no, that's overly embellishing it. It is because Magicians can provide society some sort of benefit, monetary or otherwise, that grants them larger compensation, and not merely for the fact that they are born Magicians. The world of Magicians is not naive enough to believe that simply being born with magical talent guarantees prosperity. This, I think we are well aware of. Right, Miyuki?"

"Yes... Very well aware."

Miyuki nodded as she put her hand atop her elder brother's hand.

"Thus, Blanche proposes to abolish the difference in salaries caused by magic, but in the end is really advocating the abolishment of using magic to obtain monetary compensation. In other words, they are asking Magicians to selflessly contribute to society."

"...That's quite the self-centered proposal. Everyone needs money to live, regardless of whether or not they can use magic. But, they don't allow Magicians to use magic for a living, even people who are capable of using magic must use other skills to make a living... In the end, just because they don't know how to use magic, they don't want magic to become the measuring stick for a person's value? Are they saying that it's okay if Magicians' hard work cannot receive compensation? It should be obvious that their hard work is not valued... Or do these people not know that simply being born with magical talent is not enough? That using magic requires many years of intense studying and training?"

Tatsuya moved away from Miyuki's back and returned to his seat with a thin smile on his lips.

"No, they know. They know, but don't say it. Because if they don't say it or think about information that contradicts them, they are able to use equality to lie to themselves and others. Miyuki asked this in the beginning. Why would magic students join the activities of Anti-Magic Organizations like Blanche or Egalite?"

"Hm... Is it because they don't know the real philosophy behind the anti-magic parties?"

"People that can't use magic cannot learn it no matter how hard they try, and thus feel that it is unfair for society to reward Magicians for using magic. Then, how about the students who can use magic, but lack the talent to catch up to the truly outstanding students regardless of their diligence, and in turn are looked down upon — this type of thinking would be perfectly reasonable, right? Differences in talent is not unique to magic. This is apparent in other fields, such as the arts or athletics.
Even if they don't have talent in magic, maybe they have talents in other areas.
If they cannot bear to have no talent in magic, then they should find another path."

If someone who was only superficially acquainted with Tatsuya heard these words, they might have thought he was saying this to himself. But Miyuki, the only person present, would never make that kind of mistake.

"I believe that people who learn magic reject the 'differences' caused by magic, because they are unwilling to abandon magic. Unwilling to give up, but unable to accept being second-rate. Unable to accept the truth that there are people with such talent that are completely beyond their grasp. Unable to accept the possibility that putting in many times more work still puts them out of reach. Thus, they reject using magic as an assessment. The fact is, they know that the people with talent also put in the same amount of work. This is evident before their eyes. But, they choose to ignore this and pile all the responsibility on inborn talent, and reject it.
Well... It's not like I can't understand that sense of weakness. I have similar thoughts myself."

The terrorists don't want equality they are just jealous that people who are better at magic than them get paid more (which allows them to continue buying equipment that helps them be better at magic).

The only people calling for income equality are jealous strawmen because the rich have worked hard to be rich damnit.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I didn't know this was D&D's Dittoheads thread.

I wonder how weird it would be to hear Rush Limbaugh shill for a LN series.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Namtab posted:

The terrorists don't want equality they are just jealous that people who are better at magic than them get paid more (which allows them to continue buying equipment that helps them be better at magic).

The only people calling for income equality are jealous strawmen because the rich have worked hard to be rich damnit.

that's kind of amazing, i thought the author for a second was going to at least acknowledge, even if there's no solution to it, the fact that some naturally talented people can succeed without putting in very much effort but nah, the super geniuses put in the same amount of effort

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh, that episode reminded me of something. Some entertaining LN spoilers: when Tatsuya mentioned wanting to work in "energy" what he meant is that he wants to create magic cold fusion and solve the world's energy problems forever. It wouldn't surprise me if he does by the time the series is over because it turns out he's already invented magic flight.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sindai posted:

Oh, that episode reminded me of something. Some entertaining LN spoilers: when Tatsuya mentioned wanting to work in "energy" what he meant is that he wants to create magic cold fusion and solve the world's energy problems forever. It wouldn't surprise me if he does by the time the series is over because it turns out he's already invented magic flight.

When I see that invention in the spoiler, I just can't help but think this would result in Atlas Shrugged but with more anime and incest.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his imouto?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can probably keep ignoring the worst parts. So far the supposed message can be knocked off with wishful thinking and hoping that it's not got deeper meaning. Would be cool to read an interview with the author, though.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 7, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

im the author ask me anything

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

It is better than that, actually. Early on, they introduced that there were three great problems of magic engineering which most people considered unsolvable. So, Tatsuya has already solved one and gotten halfway through another (while rubbing it in some drat LIBERAL POLITICIAN's face). I forget what the third one was. The funny part is that those problems were specifically introduced to establish that Tatsuya is not only the strongest person on the planet but also the smartest. It isn't like they are flaws intrinsic to the magic system, which is already vague enough that it can do whatever the plot requires.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is better than that, actually. Early on, they introduced that there were three great problems of magic engineering which most people considered unsolvable. So, Tatsuya has already solved one and gotten halfway through another (while rubbing it in some drat LIBERAL POLITICIAN's face). I forget what the third one was. The funny part is that those problems were specifically introduced to establish that Tatsuya is not only the strongest person on the planet but also the smartest. It isn't like they are flaws intrinsic to the magic system, which is already vague enough that it can do whatever the plot requires.

ADTRW > The Irregular at Magic High School: I Hope Galt-san Will Notice Me!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

WickedHate posted:

I can probably keep ignoring the worst parts. So far the supposed message can be knocked off with wishful thinking and hoping that it's not got deeper meaning. Would be cool to read an interview with the author, though.

You know it's okay to admit that a show is awful. You can still watch it, just you're not sticking your head in the sand trying to justify watching it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BlitzBlast posted:

You know it's okay to admit that a show is awful. You can still watch it, just you're not sticking your head in the sand trying to justify watching it.

I'm not saying it's perfect. There are things wrong with it, and there are things about it that I like. In the case of the nationalism, I can just forget the possibility it's meant to be a nationalist metaphor.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

WickedHate posted:

you're a weird little dude, wickedhate. keep shinin'

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I'm not saying it's perfect. There are things wrong with it, and there are things about it that I like. In the case of the nationalism, I can just forget the possibility it's meant to be a nationalist metaphor.

It's possible to watch this show without resorting to doublethink, y'know.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Namtab posted:

It's possible to watch this show without resorting to doublethink, y'know.

I'm not. I'm only saying that if it is meant to be libertarian I can forget about that and enjoy the surface of it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I'm not. I'm only saying that if it is meant to be libertarian I can forget about that and enjoy the surface of it.

The surface of it being the show about a gary stu and his sister who is in love with him?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Namtab posted:

The surface of it being the show about a gary stu and his sister who is in love with him?
There are different elements in it that I still like, like the animation and magic tech. I like the character s too, but understand how they don't appeal to others.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You can admit that a show has some pretty freakin' deplorable messages and still enjoy it.

In fact, it's better to admit the terrible messages are there, instead of ignoring them. At least that method doesn't rely on not thinking too hard.

I've enjoyed stuff with lovely messages too! I just admit that they're there, and that despite that stuff I could still get enjoyment out of it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's basically what I'm doing. By "ignoring them", I don't mean denying they might exist, just not letting them get in the way of my personal enjoyment of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Namtab posted:

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his imouto?

I laughed out loud at this.

I wish I could chalk it up to a bad translation, but I'm guessing that that LN excerpt was also nothing but the author getting up on a soapbox in the original as well.

edit: There is one thing that was unironically pretty good; that fight scene with the ninja dude in the first episode was kind of neat, even if it served no purpose other than to show what a badass martial artist Tatsuya is.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 8, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
You guys have to keep watching this show so I can enjoy your hatred. It's nice to see some discussion of author themes, even or perhaps especially when it's about something with little to no redeeming value.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

My main gripe with the show is that there's too much Gary Stu and not enough seito kaichou :colbert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HiveCommander posted:

My main gripe with the show is that there's too much Gary Stu and not enough seito kaichou :colbert:

? Student president?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

Why choose when you can combine? :unsmigghh:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Why choose when you can combine? :unsmigghh:

That'd be shipping him with someone other than imouto, and we all know how that's going to end: Antarctica, anyone?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Srice posted:

Heck, I've had fun talking about how heavily politically-charged fiction portrays its messages. Way more enjoyable than actually watching this joyless show, that's for sure.

"Gate - thus fought the JSDF" is terrible and is the japanese light novel/manga equivalent of the patriot fiction books that they post on TFR but goddamn if it wouldn't be a better/more entertaining show than this piece of poo poo.

Like a modern army fighting a dragon was pretty trill and kinda offsets every part dealing with how the chinese/americans want to bully poor little japan.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

"Gate - thus fought the JSDF" is terrible and is the japanese light novel/manga equivalent of the patriot fiction books that they post on TFR but goddamn if it wouldn't be a better/more entertaining show than this piece of poo poo.

Like a modern army fighting a dragon was pretty trill and kinda offsets every part dealing with how the chinese/americans want to bully poor little japan.

Only America uses black people as agents.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Gate is what this show could be if it had good parts to offset the crap. Both are really right-wing nationalist swill, but at least Gate is entertaining when it's not droning on about how Japan is morally superior to everyone else, or being racist.

In Gate's case I can enjoy the work as a whole but there aren't enough enjoyable parts in Mahouka for me to do that. Maybe if it switched to a primarily action anime I could ignore the author soapboxing when he did, but not as it is right now.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Desuwa posted:

Gate is what this show could be if it had good parts to offset the crap. Both are really right-wing nationalist swill, but at least Gate is entertaining when it's not droning on about how Japan is morally superior to everyone else, or being racist.

In Gate's case I can enjoy the work as a whole but there aren't enough enjoyable parts in Mahouka for me to do that. Maybe if it switched to a primarily action anime I could ignore the author soapboxing when he did, but not as it is right now.

The amusing thing about Gate is that the manga is already toned down with how right-wing the original LNs were - no small feat considering that the manga is already a pretty creepy love letter to Japanese imperialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Desuwa posted:

Mahouka is only interesting as a freak-show style curiosity wherein one observes just how dull it's possible to make a power fantasy.

• Locked thread