Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
I'm also quite concerned with how the lists themselves are going to look, given that they have to incorporate two ships that are to some extent at cross purposes with one another. How often will I plan on flying a Defender and a Phantom at the same time? I think the answer is "basically never." The E-Wing and Z-95 aren't quite as weird together, but it's still a bit of an unusual requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I'm having a hard time getting worked up over one match in a tournament designed to promote new product. If there's an event near you, that means there's probably plenty of straight tournaments often enough. This one can be a little weird.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I would be really happy to play well enough to win a free ship

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm having a hard time getting worked up over one match in a tournament designed to promote new product. If there's an event near you, that means there's probably plenty of straight tournaments often enough. This one can be a little weird.

Especially considering that one match results in free product for both players, If I remember correctly. The important part of the tournament is getting to the final table. Everything after that is the reward.

^^^Edit:

alg posted:

I would be really happy to play well enough to win a free ship

Also, this.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
If you're in the final game, you're almost certain to get one of the ships. all that's really up for grabs the order of choosing. This simply isn't that big a deal. Fly casual.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Lunatic Pathos posted:

If you're in the final game, you're almost certain to get one of the ships. all that's really up for grabs the order of choosing. This simply isn't that big a deal. Fly casual.

Exactly. I don't care if I'm first or fourth, I just want a ship.

In semi-related news, if you go to regionals, the swag is worth $$$! I sold my 10 evades for $100, and the participation prize Luke card for $75. I don't think the price will stay that high, but I was the first to put it on eBay and struck it big. I can't imagine what the dice will go for. I've still got 2 regionals to go this month and I've just about paid for all my X-Wing stuff already :)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How far are you traveling to hit 3 different regionals?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

zVxTeflon posted:

How far are you traveling to hit 3 different regionals?

I'm in Minneapolis, so the FFG HQ one is local. 3 of us drove to Omaha this last weekend, and we'll go to Milwaukee in two weeks. So 2 ~6hr drives. The Chicago one is roughly 6hrs away as well, but I don't think I can justify devoting 4 summer weekends to it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the TIE Phantom, although having to choose between Adv. Cloaking Device and Stygium Particle Accelerator is an interesting tradeoff. I could easily see the TIE Phantom becoming ~the~ Imperial flanker, but only time will tell.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

pbpancho posted:

Exactly. I don't care if I'm first or fourth, I just want a ship.

In semi-related news, if you go to regionals, the swag is worth $$$! I sold my 10 evades for $100, and the participation prize Luke card for $75. I don't think the price will stay that high, but I was the first to put it on eBay and struck it big. I can't imagine what the dice will go for. I've still got 2 regionals to go this month and I've just about paid for all my X-Wing stuff already :)

I saw a guy sell his card boxes from last year's regionals (or maybe nationals?) for $100 to another player at the last tournament I went to. They're neat boxes or whatever, but I was pretty baffled at someone being willing to drop that on cardboard boxes. Then again, I do play miniature games, so...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If you happen to see him again he can gladly buy my box if he wants another. Thats crazy.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

After seeing the demonstration images of Echo's unique ability, I want to run him with advanced cloak in all of my lists. All of them.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 6, 2014

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
Got to play my first games last night. Played a quick 60pt intro game, and as soon as that was done I got roped into a ridiculous 4 player epic game using a buddies new transport, 200pts for each player. Was a blast playing & learning the game in such a stupid way.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Dulkor posted:

After seeing the demonstration images of Echo's unique ability, I wan to run him with advanced cloak in all of my lists. All of them.

I had a little bit of time to think about it at work, and I think I've got a couple of interesting points to consider about the TIE Phantom. Off the bat, I don't think it's a game changer at all. I think cloaking is a ~little~ too gimmicky to be completely (and consistently) effective, which is what most of the better competitive lists go for. Out of the two unique pilots, I think "Whisper" is tons better then "Echo" because hitting gains you a focus, while Echo has that weird curved decloak, while really neat you are giving up a potential focus. Slightly off topic, but Echo is kind of a bizarro universe where Lt. Lorrir is actually good, I don't know why the PS 5 Interceptor pilots have to be fairly poo poo and having a better pilot than Fel's Wrath was a pretty low bar, but darn it FFG did their best to ensure that Lorrir wasn't any better. If FFG could do it all again. I'd rather Lorrir not have to take a stress to do the curved barrel-roll, but I digress.

I also think that we shouldn't discount the Shadow or Sigma Squadron Phantoms either. I reckon that the Phantom should be fairly good against swarm-style Rebel lists but will suffer against smaller elite Rebel lists. Wedge, Horton Salm and a few other will put the Phantom in the own-zone, I'm pretty undecided about how the Falcon would fare against a Phantom, on one hand the attack value of the Phantom is pretty good but on the other the Falcon will get in at least a few shots so :shrug:

I will definitely be picking up at least one Phantom now, I've got an idea to use them for attacking large ships alongside TIE Defenders. As nice as the TIE Bombers are, I'd rather have ships which don't run out of missiles.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I am being a tiny bit facetious, but the sheer number of positioning options Echo opens up appeals to me and I intend to take advantage for a bit before trying the others out.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah, I mean I don't mean to piss in your cheerios, I think it'll be a coool ship and my unhealthy love of Interceptors bars me from riding the competitive high horse. I don't think it's being facetious at all, you really like thing and thing looks neat.

e: Here's a loving gimmick squad if there ever was one

I'm a cloaking piece of poo poo posted:

1. "Whisper" - TIE Phantom.. 37
+Adv. Cloak
+Veteran Instincts

2. Shadow SQ. Pilot - TIE Phantom.. 31
+Adv. Cloak

3. Shadow SQ. Pilot - TIE Phantom.. 31
+Adv. Cloak

Total: 99

Good luck flying a low PS Rebel Swarm against this, really you could switch Whisper for Echo if you want. If you are really loving ballsy you could even downgrade from Shadow SQ. to Sigma, but it's a crapshoot. I'd really be tempted to chuck a Rebel Captive on one of the Phantoms, if you want to make your opponent mega rear end-blasted about shooting you.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 6, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Leo Showers posted:

I had a little bit of time to think about it at work, and I think I've got a couple of interesting points to consider about the TIE Phantom. Off the bat, I don't think it's a game changer at all. I think cloaking is a ~little~ too gimmicky to be completely (and consistently) effective, which is what most of the better competitive lists go for. Out of the two unique pilots, I think "Whisper" is tons better then "Echo" because hitting gains you a focus, while Echo has that weird curved decloak, while really neat you are giving up a potential focus.

He only gets the focus after attacking though, right? So you would only be able to use it for defense rolls that round, and only for attacks from fighters with PS >=6, who I would imagine you would not de-cloak within their arc of fire anyway. And with Advanced Cloak, as soon as you make your attack you're going to go back to being Defense 4 anyway. And against another Imperial list, I think Whisper's ability suffers a tad, as it relies on you hitting to activate, but with an average of defense 3 and the ability to evade on Fighters and Interceptors it seems like it'd be all too possible to roll your 4 dice, get 2 hits, and all the enemy has to do is get 1 Evade on 3 dice and spend their token to keep your attack from hitting, keeping you from getting the Focus. It's a bit less likely if you're at Range 1 and thus have 5 attack dice, at least.

Not saying that Whisper isn't good, just that I don't think he looks, on paper, quite that much better than Echo.

Pro analysis from a guy who's played about two demo games. :downs:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I think the real bonus is that these guys have four attack dice. Four is a lot of attack dice to spit out at range.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Shoeless posted:

He only gets the focus after attacking though, right? So you would only be able to use it for defense rolls that round, and only for attacks from fighters with PS >=6, who I would imagine you would not de-cloak within their arc of fire anyway. And with Advanced Cloak, as soon as you make your attack you're going to go back to being Defense 4 anyway. And against another Imperial list, I think Whisper's ability suffers a tad, as it relies on you hitting to activate, but with an average of defense 3 and the ability to evade on Fighters and Interceptors it seems like it'd be all too possible to roll your 4 dice, get 2 hits, and all the enemy has to do is get 1 Evade on 3 dice and spend their token to keep your attack from hitting, keeping you from getting the Focus. It's a bit less likely if you're at Range 1 and thus have 5 attack dice, at least.

Not saying that Whisper isn't good, just that I don't think he looks, on paper, quite that much better than Echo.

Pro analysis from a guy who's played about two demo games. :downs:

The big draw for me is that Whisper gets a free focus for defense if he/she attacks. While 4 defense is alright, it's always a good idea to have a focus or evade handy.
I've rolled for green die before a had nothing but blanks, pretty annoying. It's also extra insurance if there is a Wedge, Horton Salm or anything with rerolls.

You've got some really good points, I didn't really consider facing other Imperials. Echo should allow players to deal with supermaneuverable ships like A-Wings and TIE Interceptors, it'll be a case of getting really unavoidable firing positions and knowing when to cloak and not to cloak.

e:content

Recoome fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 6, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Whisper (32)
PTL (3)
Recon Spec (3)
Advanced cloaking device (4)
Ad Sensors (3)
-----total----
(45)

The ultimate flanker/turtler/end game ship. Makes Soontir look like a chump.

Oh you want to want to shoot me? Cool I have 4 agility and 2-3 focus if im even in your arc at all. :smug:

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

zVxTeflon posted:

Whisper (32)
PTL (3)
Recon Spec (3)
Advanced cloaking device (4)
Ad Sensors (3)
-----total----
(45)

The ultimate flanker/turtler/end game ship. Makes Soontir look like a chump.

Oh you want to want to shoot me? Cool I have 4 agility and 2-3 focus if im even in your arc at all. :smug:

I love ships like this, but it always goes back to "What happens when Han shoots you before you put your cloaking back up?"

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fetterkey posted:

I love ships like this, but it always goes back to "What happens when Han shoots you before you put your cloaking back up?"

Only being weak to like Han Solo and Wedge is something you just have to maneuver around on the board, I think. Stay out of arcs or give them more pressing targets.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Swagger Dagger posted:

Only being weak to like Han Solo and Wedge is something you just have to maneuver around on the board, I think. Stay out of arcs or give them more pressing targets.

Yeah, there's just nothing to be done about Han, since, you know, turret. Wedge is generally not impossible to avoid, though I'm tempted to try running him with Engine Upgrade to make getting him into fun positions easier. If only there was a Prototype X-Wing Pilot title!

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 7, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Leo Showers posted:

The big draw for me is that Whisper gets a free focus for defense if he/she attacks. While 4 defense is alright, it's always a good idea to have a focus or evade handy.
I've rolled for green die before a had nothing but blanks, pretty annoying. It's also extra insurance if there is a Wedge, Horton Salm or anything with rerolls.

You've got some really good points, I didn't really consider facing other Imperials. Echo should allow players to deal with supermaneuverable ships like A-Wings and TIE Interceptors, it'll be a case of getting really unavoidable firing positions and knowing when to cloak and not to cloak.

Yeah, fair enough. I think the named Phantom pilots will excel in Epic matches where you can afford their high cost (especially after upgrades). Being able to take both Echo and Whisper, for instance; the idea is to not use them in formation, but as individual troubleshooters. Echo's got some darn good maneuvering options that let him be pretty much wherever you need him (though you'll need to be even better at judging distances and imagining move templates with him than normal) to get into someone's backside, take a shot, and then cloak. Meanwhile, Whisper's going to have slightly more trouble staying out of arc of fire, but can safely spend a turn's focus on the offense knowing that he's likely get another after attacking. Meanwhile, your usual formations of TIEs are (ideally) taking up the enemy's attention, with Bombers and Assault Missiles helping to deal with enemy groups. If the enemy tries to focus on the Phantoms, they're going to have a really hard time of it, and open themselves to the rest of your force.

Again, all speculation.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I got my Transport today! It looks really good, I;m just in the process of unpacking and sorting everything now.

I'm looking at everything and I can't seem to find these 'extension pegs' the book references. I just plugged the stands and the base together and everthing fit together great, I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything. The ship model itself already has clear guides in the ship which look like the extension pegs, but if anyone else has them, what bag did they come in?

e: I'm also at a loss at why anyone would take the GR-75 without Combat Refit, +2 Hull/+1 Shield for 10 points is fantastic. I think the GR-75 is pretty essential for Epic Play if you are taking Rebels, the poo poo that it can do cannot be equalled by any other ship. I think the only downside is that you could really ham up the points, I'd definitely give it a focused role and run with it.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 7, 2014

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
Got a chance to try out the Phantom yesterday with mixed results. I was really hoping that a Sigma Squadron with Advanced Sensors and a Stygium Particle Accelerator would be a winner, but it did not really hold up and tended to just die a lot.

On the other hand, Whisper is fantastic. I kitted her out fairly cheaply with Veteran Instincts and the Advanced Cloak for 37 and she was amazing. The list I played against was mostly low pilot skill so that helped, but I was able to fire, Cloak, and be unkillable every single round. Doing the decloak barrel roll combined with a 1 speed turn is definitely her most common maneuver, but I did use the forward decloak once to great effect too. Just having that higher pilot skill and getting to have that big maneuver after everyone else moves is huge. I got 5 hits in one shot once and felt like a total badass.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
When does Wave 4 drop? Just deciding when to place my 2xEVERYTHING order :retrogames:

midge fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 7, 2014

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

In the campaign scenarios included with the rebel transport, do the point values for the transport and Combat Retrofit upgrade count towards the Rebel squad points they're permitted to field? (For example, 125 for the first mission).

I know in the rules that it states they don't count towards the 200 point roster you put together, but wasn't sure if they counted towards points you actually put on the board.

tovarich
Feb 28, 2001

Rockker posted:

In the campaign scenarios included with the rebel transport, do the point values for the transport and Combat Retrofit upgrade count towards the Rebel squad points they're permitted to field? (For example, 125 for the first mission).

I know in the rules that it states they don't count towards the 200 point roster you put together, but wasn't sure if they counted towards points you actually put on the board.
I don't think so. The rules say the Rebel player builds his squad by picking rows from the sheet, and if you look at the example image the GR-75 row only has 16 listed as the cost.

We played that it did not count, and it ended up being a pretty close match. My transport was destroyed one round before it was going to move off the board. I can't imagine being down 40 more points and standing a chance.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah, only the upgrades beyond the GR-75 and Combat Refit count towards the points limit.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Given the general bad behavior of Games Workshop and my mild dislike of Warmachine, I ordered a core set off Amazon the other day and it should show up at work tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to trying this out with some co-workers, since they (wisely) declined to get into 40k with me. Pre-painted and assembled models are right up their ally, and it doesn't hurt that this game looks like X-Wing vs Tie Fighter in turn based form.

If at least one other person decides they like it, would the next move be to get them to buy a core set and swap ships to get either 4 Tie Fighters or 2 x-wings? What's a good next step from there? Are there rule books that list what's available, or a wiki? How do you get new pilots or upgrade cards? Why would you ever buy tie or x-wing expansions instead of another core set? Does it come with things the core set lacks?

For learning how different ships work, can you use proxies or will the lack of spinner dial thingies/templates block that?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

drgnvale posted:

If at least one other person decides they like it, would the next move be to get them to buy a core set and swap ships to get either 4 Tie Fighters or 2 x-wings? What's a good next step from there? Are there rule books that list what's available, or a wiki? How do you get new pilots or upgrade cards? Why would you ever buy tie or x-wing expansions instead of another core set? Does it come with things the core set lacks?

For learning how different ships work, can you use proxies or will the lack of spinner dial thingies/templates block that?

Fantasy Flight has a list of everything that they sell, but this isn't like 40k where you're going to need a codex. You can go to boardgame geek and see pictures of everything, and use one of the list builders to make squads.

Pilot and upgrade cards come in every expansion, which is also why you'd want to buy an X-Wing and TIE expansion. They come with really, really good cards, like Wedge Antilles and Howlrunner, both of whom are cornerstones of competitive play.

A second core set is a great buy, though, just because it's really nice to have 4 attack/defense dice instead of three, and the extra templates and stuff are nice for when you need to share.

The next step would be to just buy the ships you like. You can look through the thread and find the "good lists," but there's not really anything that's totally bad, although you'll want to make the HWK and Lambda Shuttle your last purchases for their faction since they're really niche support ships.

If I was starting over again I'd buy a second core. After that, I'd buy an X-Wing, Y-Wing and B-Wing for the rebels, and then a Millenium Falcon later on. For the Imperials, I'd buy a Slave 1 and the Imperial Aces box. That'll give you a lot of variety and practice with pretty much everything but the TIE swarm list, which I wouldn't recommend starting out since you need like 7 TIE Fighters.

You can find images of all the dials online, so you can just print them out and use them instead of dials for proxying.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Edit: or you know, what he said.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

drgnvale posted:

FFG freely show the spinner dials for new ships. The best method for playtesting I've used personally is to just keep a sheet of paper with the ships and moves written down per turn. That way you can keep a history of moves, including actions and notes if you wanted, and see where you might have made wrong decisions during playtesting. With a couple basic sets you already have enough bases for most configurations and you can always make cardboard cutouts if you need more (like for tie swarms).

e: The only thing missing would be large ship bases but I'm sure there's probably a resource somewhere compiled by a sperg that shows dimensions/cutout templates so you can play with them too.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

drgnvale posted:

What's a good next step from there? Are there rule books that list what's available, or a wiki?

Heres a list builder with everything in the game +upcoming ships.

If you see an upgrade there and want to know which expansions it comes in you can check here

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

zVxTeflon posted:

Heres a list builder with everything in the game +upcoming ships.

If you see an upgrade there and want to know which expansions it comes in you can check here

Alternatively, the list builder you linked will tell you where each pilot and/or upgrade comes from (listed to the right of their entries) ;)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Before I bought the game, that squad builder was really helpful for feeling out the game components.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Also, do be prepared to buy everything. For one, they're cool, and for two, a lot of awesome upgrades come in every ship pack. This is annoying to some degree, but on the other hand I'm already thinking about how to run my Lambda when I probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise, sooooo.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Also, I think all of the larger ships, and ship packs (Imperial Aces) come with missions in them- none of which I've actually played, but they seem like they'd be fun. Some of them are clearly inspired by missions from the old PC games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Wow, thanks for all of the advice. I loved Tie Fighter a whole lot growing up, and for that reason alone I want to buy some Tie Interceptors.

As for buying everything, I had a huge problem with that in 40k so I might as well budget for it with X-wing too. I'm glad I won't have to paint X-wing models unless I really want to, since my backlog for 40k and Bones is measured in years.

• Locked thread