Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eb
May 6, 2003
I know Opera 12.16 uses OpenSSL but I haven't been able to find the exact version or if it's one that contains the Heartbleed bug. Does anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Eb posted:

I know Opera 12.16 uses OpenSSL but I haven't been able to find the exact version or if it's one that contains the Heartbleed bug. Does anyone know?

Apparently that shouldn't be an issue - there is no realistic situation where an outsider will initiate a connection to opera's openssl code.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Computer viking posted:

Apparently that shouldn't be an issue - there is no realistic situation where an outsider will initiate a connection to opera's openssl code.
Maybe if you turned on Opera Unite, but who knows if that even still works.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

I have to say, i'm enjoying using Opera. The only really niggling thing is no h264 support, so vimeo doesn't work. It's kind of what chrome was when it first came out (useless comparison ahoy!)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
One good thing is that people are looking to replace GIFs with WebM, which used to be something Opera was one of the few companies to champion.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ufarn posted:

replace GIFs with WebM

Is this something that is actually happening? And will it actully work? Firefox and Opera 12 both start to chug terribly if there are more than a few webms playing at the same time on a web page.

Something like the PYF gif thread would absolutely murder both of them, even with only one webm per post.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Wheany posted:

Is this something that is actually happening? And will it actully work? Firefox and Opera 12 both start to chug terribly if there are more than a few webms playing at the same time on a web page.

Something like the PYF gif thread would absolutely murder both of them, even with only one webm per post.
4chan now supports it, and GFYcat is making waves on reddit, so it's definitely happening. The difference with reddit is that it relies on RES for users to manually open each animation, which means they aren't automatically loaded, as they would be on a board like this one.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
But then, Opera 12 only animates gifs when you view them.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Might also be more of a long term thing, imagine opening a pyf gif thread in a browser half a decade ago.

Of course i don't want to imagine the performance of running a dozen webm videos on a tablet or something.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It has use cases; doesn't mean you have to use it everywhere, but obviously you have to be careful about the usage you encourage it for.

I take it autoplay=0 isn't an option? Guess 4chan will find out what works and what doesn't.

EDIT: Speaking of, this Chrome/Blink extension automatically converts imgur GIFs to GFYcat videos.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Might also be more of a long term thing, imagine opening a pyf gif thread in a browser half a decade ago.
I probably did :confused: Half a decade ago is only 2009.

Then again this

Riso posted:

But then, Opera 12 only animates gifs when you view them.
is a really good feature and probably helps with that a whole lot and I wonder why no other browser, especially the mobile ones, do this.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Hey, is Opera >12 usable n...

Riso posted:

Nope. Ask again next year.

Welp.

I'm so used to having a custom UI, mouse gestures and keeping 40-80 tabs open at all times, that switching to anything else is painful. Firefox can do the first two if you fiddle around a bit, but fails at the last one pretty badly.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah, I've lost a couple of browser sessions in Chrome, too. :(

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Arzachel posted:

I'm so used to having a custom UI, mouse gestures and keeping 40-80 tabs open at all times, that switching to anything else is painful. Firefox can do the first two if you fiddle around a bit, but fails at the last one pretty badly.

Yeah, Firefox becomes real crashy after you open a lot of new tabs. And for some reason background tabs seem to load a lot slower than the foreground tab. That said, I'm slowly but surely increasing my Firefox usage.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, I guess I'm done with Opera 12. I was using it for browsing + mail on a Fedora system. .opera got fairly large so I moved it to a raid array and replace it with a simlink. One of the drives failed, and for some reason it got stuck in read-only mode while it was rebuilding. I made the mistake of trying to start Opera before the rebuild finished and it somehow managed to overwrite all of my preference files (mail, speed dial, open tabs, theme, whatever else) that were stored on this read-only filesystem and start me off with a single blank tab, no speed dial or mail accounts. :psyduck:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I think I'm done too after about 13 years of using it as my primary.

I don't understand how they update. At home I'm running a suppoedly up to date version with great features but it has significant website incompatibility issues. At work on a new computer I have Opera 20 which doesn't have some classic features (and still has issues). Adding smooth gestures to Chrome and a (bad) dialer app and it's basically Opera which works minus the mail client.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It's very telling how many people go "so i updated to 20 and this feels a lot like chrome now except worse, isn't that weird? whats the point"

also kinda funny because they don't know just how spot on they are :smith:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Given that it is literally Chrome, what is the chance that they can ever do Opera stuff like customizing right click menus. Trying to transform Chrome intro Opera seems to highlight that there are limits to what people can mod into it and I'm not so sure how much more the Opera team can do than anyone else.

I'm currently bummed. Opera is like a whole community of edge cases with barely any overlap so the chances of the Opera team ever "getting there" is impossible since nobody can really justify the time needed for each feature since so few will actually use it. And the other browsers aren't great at being my specific Opera so the future is a bleak wasteland of giving up.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

Given that it is literally Chrome, what is the chance that they can ever do Opera stuff like customizing right click menus. Trying to transform Chrome intro Opera seems to highlight that there are limits to what people can mod into it and I'm not so sure how much more the Opera team can do than anyone else.

I'm currently bummed. Opera is like a whole community of edge cases with barely any overlap so the chances of the Opera team ever "getting there" is impossible since nobody can really justify the time needed for each feature since so few will actually use it. And the other browsers aren't great at being my specific Opera so the future is a bleak wasteland of giving up.

My biggest issues so far are things that they should be able to fix pretty easy.

Like the tab separating is awful and makes it hard to see what is on what tab (also tab stacking). No urlfilter.ini, I mean come one, urlfilter.ini was a thing of beauty. Where the gently caress is the trash can where I can see all my closed tabs?

If they fix that for me opera 20 would be a lot more use-able and I wouldn't be in browser limbo (I'd still miss things, but those features would make me a lot more patient for the rest). Currently I am using it (because Opera 12 is getting dated and I ran into some issues with sites I frequent), trying to give it a fair shot and so far it is better than chrome at least in my opinion.

But realistically, I wish they would have just maintained opera 12 like everyone else who used opera...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
All we ever wanted is to just replace the browser engine and keep the GUI.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Riso posted:

All we ever wanted is to just replace the browser engine and keep the GUI.

Speak for yourself traitor. Presto for life!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Salt Fish posted:

Speak for yourself traitor. Presto for life!

Is there actually something unique/worthwhile about the rendering engine itself compared to gecko or webkit?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Wheany posted:

Is there actually something unique/worthwhile about the rendering engine itself compared to gecko or webkit?

Fit to Width is the main Presto-unique thing I cared about that's never going to get implemented anywhere else.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
My Opera just updated to 12.17.:psyduck:

Has this happened to anyone else?

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

bondetamp posted:

I just checked:

quote:

Opera 12.17 is available:

Opera 12.17 is a security and stability upgrade. Opera recommends all users to upgrade to Opera 12.17 to take advantage of these improvements.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

bondetamp posted:

Yes, also http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?ver=12.17

I guess this is just security updates.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Going back to Opera (trying out 12.17 for now) after a while trying to get used to Firefox with a dozen extensions is so refreshing. It's so snappy and the tabs don't bog it down and I don't have to configure a dozen addons to match basic Opera.

I'm still frustrated that I needed an extension on Firefox to move the tab bar to the bottom of the window, and when you open too many tabs it handles them terribly. I won't even consider Chrome because apparently you need to do some coding fuckery to achieve what Opera allows with a simple drop down. Why am I considered unusual for wanting a tab bar on the bottom? The windows task bar is down there!

You know what I think I'll keep Opera 12.17, I just can't handle the re-jiggering to get Firefox and Chrome to not be personally terrible.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Not sure what the update was about specifically, https://www.howsmyssl.com/ still says it's using the same outdated thing as 12.16, can anyone find a more detailed changelog?

still neat to see they have some poor intern chipping away at the legacy stuff, presumably with a ball and chain tying him down in some dungeon cell

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
Youtube has not been working for me for a couple of days. With 12.17 it does again.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Relaxodon posted:

Youtube has not been working for me for a couple of days. With 12.17 it does again.

Do you often not close Opera? Flash updated a few days ago and updating while Opera is open will often break the plugin.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Cuntpunch posted:

Do you often not close Opera? Flash updated a few days ago and updating while Opera is open will often break the plugin.

I close it often and restart my pc at least daily. I also close all browsers during plugin updates. I guess 12.17 installation just kicked something loose for me.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Not sure what the update was about specifically, https://www.howsmyssl.com/ still says it's using the same outdated thing as 12.16, can anyone find a more detailed changelog?

still neat to see they have some poor intern chipping away at the legacy stuff, presumably with a ball and chain tying him down in some dungeon cell

It updates a few certificates and the openssl code, just in case. No functional changes, supposedly.
Oh, and regarding slaving away in basements - next time you get to play with a new smart TV, check the user agent. I believe Sony should have some interesting ones.

(It would seem fitting to use echo.opera.com to see what the browser claims to be, but I'm sure there are a million alternatives.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 23, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Relaxodon posted:

I have exactly the opposite problem, youtube doesn't work since switching back to 12.17.

EDIT: Never mind it was the Extendtube add-on.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Interesting bit from Opera's latest finance report:

quote:

In March 2014, the number of Desktop users was approximately 51 million, down 7% versus 1Q13. Revenue was up 6% in the 1Q14 compared to 1Q13, with lower search revenue offset by higher licensing revenue, including the licensing of the Rocket Optimizer video/media optimization technology to a major Internet company.
http://www.operasoftware.com/company/investors/finance/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The litany of fuckups is becoming unending at this point. My piece of poo poo Chrome Opera which I've been using after I reformatted my computer because why the hell not wanted to update yesterday, so I said okay, and now "Ctrl + Backspace" is bound to some sort of loving thing (it's like "next page" or some bullshit like that) which fucks me up because I always use Ctrl + Backspace to delete words when I'm typing. And I can't even figure out how to change keyboard shortcuts in this piece of poo poo. You probably can't even do that. Why is this so awful and what did we, collectively, as humans, do to deserve this? If Opera 12.old wasn't giving me issues on progressively more sites, I'd just install that thing again. Otter better hurry the gently caress up.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I'm so sorry. They always say to be careful for what you wish for. Now the wish I made a couple years ago seems to have come true.

FSMC posted:

Date: Aug 4, 2012 23:52
Opera should just give up on the browser stuff and just make an extension for chrome. I don't use opera for any of it's web-rendering, etc, I just use it for all the tweaks, and interface stuff. So imagine a chrome browser but with the opera skins and controls, or thinking about it a different way an opera browser with chrome doing the back-end stuff.

FSMC fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 23, 2014

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

FSMC posted:

I'm so sorry. They always say to be careful for what you wish for. Now the wish I made a couple years ago seems to have come true.

Don't worry, 'opera with a better-supported renderer' was a much more noble goal than the 'chrome minus extensions' you got.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

FSMC posted:

Hey, "Chrome with Opera's UI" would have been awesome. Instead they delivered "Shittier Chrome"

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Firefox is such a piece of poo poo. I hope they invent time travel soon so I can just repeatedly keep traveling back in time to when Opera wasn't a piece of poo poo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Kevin Bacon posted:

Firefox is such a piece of poo poo. I hope they invent time travel soon so I can just repeatedly keep traveling back in time to when Opera wasn't a piece of poo poo too.

Why don't you do both? I use Opera 12 as my main browser, which works fine for all but ... 12 websites i use, and the ones with atrociously slow javascript, or ram-hungry and crash-happy flash bullshit get loaded in firefox or chrome.