Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

You really really really need to avoid Richard Laymon books.

Oh man Richard loving Laymon. I remember when I was about 13 getting a bunch of books from the closure of a small-town library, and about 75% of them were Richard Laymon "classics". Books so bad even a horny teenager was unwilling to trudge through them for the sex scenes. I read the one about the earthquake that inexplicably turns people into psychos and the one about the island where the "hero" ends up keeping sex slaves and then it was straight into a charity shop for the rest.

juliuspringle posted:

The Bachman Books is the one Stephen King book I will never get rid of for that very reason. What was the Running Man future crime?

Probably the whole "Person angry at US government flies a plane into a very tall building" thing.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

juliuspringle posted:

The Bachman Books is the one Stephen King book I will never get rid of for that very reason. What was the Running Man future crime?

9/11. Ben Richards takes out the main villain in the end by crashing a jet liner into a skyscraper

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Disgusting Coward posted:

Oh man Richard loving Laymon. I remember when I was about 13 getting a bunch of books from the closure of a small-town library, and about 75% of them were Richard Laymon "classics". Books so bad even a horny teenager was unwilling to trudge through them for the sex scenes. I read the one about the earthquake that inexplicably turns people into psychos and the one about the island where the "hero" ends up keeping sex slaves and then it was straight into a charity shop for the rest.

Believe it or not you missed the bad ones.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

To be fair, Cell is one of the worst offenders in that regard, if not theworst.

Someone described it in here as "a book where every chapter is weaker than the one before it", and it's really the most spot-on thing that could be said about the book. If it ended at the football field bomb on the sleeping zombies it would have been a thousand times better.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Believe it or not you missed the bad ones.

I read "The Cellar" a little while back, and it was the first book that has ever left me feeling a little dirty. Which can be expected since it is a book about a mother and daughter hiding from her rapist/child molester husband in a town with a bunch of feral rape monsters.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Firefly by Piers Anthony.

In terms of Stephen King though, is there any talk of a sequel to Firestarter?

edit: Apparently Richard Laymon wrote sequels to The Cellar.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Someone described it in here as "a book where every chapter is weaker than the one before it", and it's really the most spot-on thing that could be said about the book. If it ended at the football field bomb on the sleeping zombies it would have been a thousand times better.

Absolutely. The whole "hey guys, killing 3 flocks put us in a situation that is so grim that we are driving to our deaths, but what if we killed a fourth flock?" is awkward as hell. Not to mention the computer analogies.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Roydrowsy posted:

I read "The Cellar" a little while back, and it was the first book that has ever left me feeling a little dirty. Which can be expected since it is a book about a mother and daughter hiding from her rapist/child molester husband in a town with a bunch of feral rape monsters.

The entertaining part of this description is that this is the least worst part..

Don't forget the ending where the female leads get captured and are now (apparently willing) sex toys for a race of mutants, including the creepily young girl whose new number one desire is to get pregnant to her rapist.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

The entertaining part of this description is that this is the least worst part..

Don't forget the ending where the female leads get captured and are now (apparently willing) sex toys for a race of mutants, including the creepily young girl whose new number one desire is to get pregnant to her rapist.

but I so dearly WANT to forget that ending.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Oh man, I didn't finish Cell. Once it kicked in with the supernatural stuff I closed the book and never opened it again.
Just finished Under the Dome though, and typical King the ending just dragged and dragged and dragged. It really irks me when everything is just ALIEMS! OTHER DIMENSION! I realize it's his gig, but it's so cheap sometimes. Even his use of language, how he writes kids dialogue so poorly as mentioned in my last post and crappy expletives. All complaints aside I do enjoy the books, ayuh.

Also heard the Dome television show sucked hard.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 29, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

syscall girl posted:

Not saying this is a bad idea, per se, but it seems like lazy typecasting in that everyone wants him as their favorite villain.

He could just as we'll play a father of small children in a remake of Pet Semetary. If you want someone who looks sinister in jeans maybe see if Mitt Romney is up to anything much during the summer.

I'm gonna make an unusual call here and say Temuera Morrison could make a great Flagg. Anyone who's seen Once Were Warriors knows how well he plays an unhinged monster, if he just stepped up the gleefulness a bit I reckon he'd be spot on.

If you haven't seen Once Were Warriors, you really should. Great depiction of a hosed up family with an abusive father (hmmm, that sounds like something an author that is well-regarded around here would write...)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

I'm gonna make an unusual call here and say Temuera Morrison could make a great Flagg. Anyone who's seen Once Were Warriors knows how well he plays an unhinged monster, if he just stepped up the gleefulness a bit I reckon he'd be spot on.

If you haven't seen Once Were Warriors, you really should. Great depiction of a hosed up family with an abusive father (hmmm, that sounds like something an author that is well-regarded around here would write...)

Seems like it would be a good contrast to John Coffey, Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding, Dick Halloran and all the other dusky skinned magic men in King's books and adaptions. :obama:

Seriously though, I will watch Once Were Warriors, one day. It's weird that it's 20 years old and the Maori tatted dude always grabbed my eye at the video rental store but I never once checked it out.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Seems like it would be a good contrast to John Coffey, Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding, Dick Halloran and all the other dusky skinned magic men in King's books and adaptions. :obama:

Seriously though, I will watch Once Were Warriors, one day. It's weird that it's 20 years old and the Maori tatted dude always grabbed my eye at the video rental store but I never once checked it out.

Advance warning:
It's dark as gently caress. Like, seriously, incredibly utterly depressing for how brutal and raw it is.

It's a good story, and I definitely do not regret watching it, but just be prepared, you're not gonna be a happy camper.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Also make some eggs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And some bacon.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And get gigantic 2L bottles of beer.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And get gigantic 2L bottles of beer.

Those are just regular swappa bottles, I think they're only 600ml.

Still all kinds of classy when the wife comes home and pops one open with a spatula though, that's NZ to a T.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just finished NOS4A2 and loved it. Anyone know what pages of this thread that discussion happened on?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just read 'Salem's Lot for the first time as step one to reading through the Dark Tower reading list... I really enjoyed it! Such a good, tense, slow-burn build-up. And I'm kind of looking forward to watching the two TV miniseries adaptations at some point, even though they don't have the best reviews. (How can I turn down watching Rob Lowe as Ben and Andre Braugher as Matt, though? And Rutger Hauer as Barlow!)

On to The Stand and its 1300+ pages now!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 2, 2014

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hay guy! It's your unofficial It historian and Maine resident, ready to share with you another key component of the novel that was an actual part of Maine history! It is apropos because of the following news article from today:

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/05/01/news/bangor/col-walter-r-walsh-expert-marksman-who-shot-al-brady-in-bangor-dies-at-age-106/

You will note that the story of how the "Brady Gang" was shot down in Bangor (the name was changed to "Bradley Gang" in the novel) is in the article. The event obviously did not go down quite as described in the book, where it sounded much more like a communal event of town carnage that was hushed up rather than an FBI operation that got out hand. But still, sounds like a damned bloody scene just the way it happened in real life.

Anyway. I don't know why but the more real events I find that It was based on, the scarier it gets.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Those are just regular swappa bottles, I think they're only 600ml.

Still all kinds of classy when the wife comes home and pops one open with a spatula though, that's NZ to a T.

750ml bottles of Lion Red I believe, though it's been a while since I've watched it. Lion Red is vile.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

kaworu posted:

Hay guy! It's your unofficial It historian and Maine resident, ready to share with you another key component of the novel that was an actual part of Maine history! It is apropos because of the following news article from today:

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/05/01/news/bangor/col-walter-r-walsh-expert-marksman-who-shot-al-brady-in-bangor-dies-at-age-106/

You will note that the story of how the "Brady Gang" was shot down in Bangor (the name was changed to "Bradley Gang" in the novel) is in the article. The event obviously did not go down quite as described in the book, where it sounded much more like a communal event of town carnage that was hushed up rather than an FBI operation that got out hand. But still, sounds like a damned bloody scene just the way it happened in real life.

Anyway. I don't know why but the more real events I find that It was based on, the scarier it gets.

I had no idea that was based on anything real. Thanks for sharing this!

April
Jul 3, 2006

There's a trailer for Mr. Mercedes up on SK's page, with another site and login mentioned at the end. I tried logging in but nothing happened. Has anyone else tried?

http://stephenking.com/promo/mr_mercedes/

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

kaworu posted:

Man, I really need to get around to reading It. If I enjoy it even half as much as I did The Stand, it should be well worth it. I need to get around to rereading The Stand also, now that I think about it. Last time I read it was over 10 years ago but it's stuck with me the whole time. Such a great novel.

It's always hard for me to justify rereading books though, since there are so many out there I want to read (and so many unread books I already own, hell, unread Stephen King books I own alone). I think the only books I've ever reread were 1984, the Hitchhiker's guide, the first 4 Dark Tower novels, and the first 3 ASOIAF books.

Damo fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 3, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I finished 'the Troop' last night and would recommend it to anyone with a hankering for some classic King-esque style gory fun.

It genuinely creeped me out in several spots without resorting to blatant gorehound style pandering.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

kaworu posted:

Hi there Main-uh. I was actually in Bangor last year and I was struck by how similar the place is to how Derry is described, including such features as a standpipe and so on. Is this something you have noticed? Has King ever said anything about it?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Two Finger posted:

Hi there Main-uh. I was actually in Bangor last year and I was struck by how similar the place is to how Derry is described, including such features as a standpipe and so on. Is this something you have noticed? Has King ever said anything about it?

Yes, in the introduction to the story Fair Extension in the book Full Dark, No Stars, King says Derry is Bangor masquerading under another name. He uses those exact words.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Certainly explains why I had such an unsettling feeling of knowing the place, despite having never been there before.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Richard Laymen is pretty bad but The Traveling Vampire Show is an amazing book, easily his best. I'd reccomend it to any It fans, it kind of has the same prepubescent angst and horror vibe.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

iostream.h posted:

I finished 'the Troop' last night and would recommend it to anyone with a hankering for some classic King-esque style gory fun.

It genuinely creeped me out in several spots without resorting to blatant gorehound style pandering.

I am right in the middle of 'The Troop', and I just found out yesterday that Nick Cutter is really Craig Davidson. While not horror (I guess all his horror stuff will come out under Cutter with The Deep being his next book) his short story collection 'Rust & Bone' is pretty awesome.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kaworu posted:

Right next to it: Things to consider before going to a Bangor area abortion clinic :eng99:

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Remember, you are NEVER alone. Has season 2 of Under the Dome been out yet?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

juliuspringle posted:

Remember, you are NEVER alone. Has season 2 of Under the Dome been out yet?

It starts June 30.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Reading nightmares and dreamscapes and it is much more uneven than the previous 2 short story antologies. I enjoyed suffer the little children, popsy and a few others, but some of them are pretty dull, and dedication is... well... strange, but not in a good way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Just saw The Troop by Nick Cutter, the book that's been mentioned a few times the last few pages, is available on Kindle for only $4.

I just bought it. I'll read it soon.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Just saw The Troop by Nick Cutter, the book that's been mentioned a few times the last few pages, is available on Kindle for only $4.

I just bought it. I'll read it soon.

I just finished this a few days ago thanks to this thread and it was disgusting but a good read.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The first page of this thread made me think that Cell - the only Stephen King book I've ever read - might not have been the best example of his work. I was surprised. I thought it was okay except for the non-ending and a few parts that dragged. It at least got an emotional reaction out of me at the random death of one character.

That said, I have recently started The Gunslinger and I have had about 40 pages of not knowing what the hell is going on at any point. It's somewhat irksome.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

The first page of this thread made me think that Cell - the only Stephen King book I've ever read - might not have been the best example of his work. I was surprised. I thought it was okay except for the non-ending and a few parts that dragged. It at least got an emotional reaction out of me at the random death of one character.

That said, I have recently started The Gunslinger and I have had about 40 pages of not knowing what the hell is going on at any point. It's somewhat irksome.

It tells everything you really need to know in the very first sentence.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Cell is like most of his work but worse. You might like The Long Walk, The Stand, and The Mist if you enjoyed Cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I'd say Carrie is still his most accessible book.