Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

mr. mephistopheles posted:

No, it isn't. Overall global temperatures are rising. They transitioned to "climate change" because idiots were unable to comprehend that overall global warming can also lead to extreme cold as well. Of course then idiots just accuse them of shifting goalposts now and failing to grasp that climate change and global warming refer to the exact same phenomena and nothing has changed.
The easiest (and correct) way I find to explain this to people is that global warming is the process that leads to climate change, but of course when you're dealing with denialists it's not as if even the slightest nuanced argument has any effect other than confusion.

You can also (try to) explain that climate change is also used more in the media these days because...well, we're seeing it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PeterWeller posted:

They are popular and important to their niche audiences. Outside of that audience, they are B-grade radio celebrities at best. You'll note that none of them come on during morning drive time, which is prime time for radio.
There's also the issue of terrestrial radio itself losing huge shares of its market and influence, given the way that people now listen to streaming services and their mp3 collections and podcast in their car. I can't imagine anyone under the age of 35 listening to radio if they could at all avoid it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FMguru posted:

There's also the issue of terrestrial radio itself losing huge shares of its market and influence, given the way that people now listen to streaming services and their mp3 collections and podcast in their car. I can't imagine anyone under the age of 35 listening to radio if they could at all avoid it.
I listen to the radio mainly because I'm usually only in my car for about a half hour or less; Sirius XM isn't worth it to me for that little time, and my car is old enough that a USB port would have to added aftermarket; again, not worth it. Even so, radio to me is rock music, and if a station isn't playing music, I change to another one that is, and if that fails, I put on a CD. I'll admit, I like the random jukebox nature of radio stations, as opposed to knowing what will play when I put on a CD.

I rely on this thread to filter Rush, Hannity, et al into tiny bite-sized chunks, I tried listening myself and I had to stop after five minutes and put on very loud rock music; I don't know how some of you in this thread can listen to them repeatedly and/or for hours at a time. Kudos to all of you who do so and report on what they're saying, I certainly couldn't do it myself.:tipshat:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FMguru posted:

Radio is pretty awful. I don't have a long drive but there are days where I'll have commercials the entire trip before hearing a song.
I usually just keep my radio tuned to NPR. In the mornings I usually hear something interesting, and if I work late, I get Jazz on the way home. No commercials unless there's a pledge drive.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

No, it isn't. Overall global temperatures are rising. They transitioned to "climate change" because idiots were unable to comprehend that overall global warming can also lead to extreme cold as well. Of course then idiots just accuse them of shifting goalposts now and failing to grasp that climate change and global warming refer to the exact same phenomena and nothing has changed.

Also, Frank Luntz was pushing for conservatives to use "climate change" over "global warming" when discussing the topic. From a 2003 memo from Luntz:

quote:

It’s time for us to start talking about “climate change” instead of global warming and “conservation” instead of preservation.

1) “Climate change” is less frightening than “global warming”. As one focus group participant noted, climate change “sounds like you’re going from Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale.” While global warming has catastrophic connotations attached to it, climate change suggests a more controllable and less emotional challenge.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

thefncrow posted:

Also, Frank Luntz was pushing for conservatives to use "climate change" over "global warming" when discussing the topic. From a 2003 memo from Luntz:

Luntz is such a piece of loving poo poo.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

I believe you mean Luntz is a "fecal sample".Fecal sample "sounds like something important and related to intelligent people like scientists and doctors", while loving piece of poo poo has vulgar, negative connotations attached to it.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I wanna be in on one of those Luntz focus groups just to subtly gently caress with the guy.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

He's right though. "Climate change" encompasses many different climate issues. "Global Warming" just illicits a "Oh, it's 30 degrees in July?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

He's right though. "Climate change" encompasses many different climate issues. "Global Warming" just illicits a "Oh, it's 30 degrees in July?
Non-American spotted!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Radio is pretty awful. I don't have a long drive but there are days where I'll have commercials the entire trip before hearing a song.
I usually just keep my radio tuned to NPR. In the mornings I usually hear something interesting, and if I work late, I get Jazz on the way home. No commercials unless there's a pledge drive.

I listen to sports talk radio when I leave my ipod at home. It's pretty great, mainly stupid comedy bits with a dash of serious sports talk here and there for good measure. If it's late in the afternoon and they're running ads, I'll switch to Levin for a few minutes because he is the height of unintentional comedy, like the other day when he flipped out on a marine combat veteran because he misunderstood that veteran's response to a question because he cut that veteran off halfway into his response.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

thefncrow posted:

Jesus, I agree with Frank Luntz. The dialogue has been poisoned by right-wing strategists and using non-weaponized language would probably be helpful to get it going better. What with the most recent poisoning of the water in Charleston, I think it was, America has to start realizing we're being assholes to our own offspring by allowing this bullshit.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

That is not at all what he is saying. He is advocating to stop calling it global warming because that is more likely to scare people and scared people mean more votes for Democrats.

SnakePlissken posted:

Jesus, I agree with Frank Luntz. The dialogue has been poisoned by right-wing strategists and using non-weaponized language would probably be helpful to get it going better. What with the most recent poisoning of the water in Charleston, I think it was, America has to start realizing we're being assholes to our own offspring by allowing this bullshit.

Don't worry, you don't agree with him. Read it again.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SnakePlissken posted:

While the GOP is winning the war over language, unilaterally disarming is not the way to come to a peaceful agreement.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Yeah, the Luntz bit is basically him saying to use "climate change" because it sounds less serious, making the audience more receptive to the Republican case for doing nothing because it's inconvenient.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think Luntz and the GOP put too much into this supposed 1984-esque vocab-mind-control, at least in this case. Just about all of the connotations he ascribed to Global Warming are now widely recognized as part of Climate Change. The kind of people who are really affected by this are the kind of people who are literally not engaging beyond the headline. It's more important to find who/what will convince your average person that this isn't bullshit and we should be doing something about it, not just as a lovely chore, but as preparation to thrive in the future.

Maybe we should start referring to it as global prepping. Food insurance on a national scale! A bunker the size of Wyoming! Take the USA off the grid with solar!

You got my number DNC, InteLuntz at your service.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Flipping around the radio, I heard on the local christian station, Janet Parshall's brand of insanity.

They had some other fox news/right wing/southern baptist guy on named Todd Starnes, and he was ranting about the "Moral Decay" of America or some garbage.

Then I came to a weird conclusion.

The talking points this guy brought up? Sounded exactly like Muslim Terrorists talking points against us.

It has been our sex, civil rights and "moral decay" that has truly made this country what it is today! That's truly American! Not this "I hate the gays/women having reproductive rights" stuff these people preach.

To quote a previous president, if you follow what these people believe? You're letting the terrorists win.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
See also: massive amounts of Putin worship. I'm sure St. Ronnie appreciates that from his seat at Gods right hand.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Something something Aaron Sorkin
http://youtu.be/yGAvwSp86hY

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

See also: massive amounts of Putin worship. I'm sure St. Ronnie appreciates that from his seat at Gods right hand.

I'm rather terrified to think how BAD American Culture would be if these people had their way.

The guy was bitching about how he lives in Brooklyn surrounded by "LIBERALS" drinking Lattes and eating kale chips. Saying he was a "Duck Dynasty guy" living in a "Miley Cyrus" world.

I keep thinking about how boring culture would be if these people had their way. Not that I enjoy kale or anything, but so much food has come from immigrants these people have bitched about coming over to the US for years.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think Luntz and the GOP put too much into this supposed 1984-esque vocab-mind-control, at least in this case. Just about all of the connotations he ascribed to Global Warming are now widely recognized as part of Climate Change.

Yes, but it still managed to do damage during the time it took to happen. They're not just looking at long term effects, but short term stalling tactics too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The difference is you get your 72 virgins when you attend meetings instead of when you die.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 8, 2014

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

SnakePlissken posted:

What with the most recent poisoning of the water in Charleston, I think it was, America has to start realizing we're being assholes to our own offspring by allowing this bullshit.
At least that was an accident. Today in NC we can finally start asking Duke Energy to clean up the millions of gallons of toxic waste they've been intentionally dumping right next to our drinking water. They were called out on it 6-7 months ago and basically said, "Nah you guys can clean that up if you want to. By the way, your electricity bill is going up for no reason- you're going to have to take us to court to prevent that too."

edit:

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The guy was bitching about how he lives in Brooklyn surrounded by "LIBERALS" drinking Lattes and eating kale chips. Saying he was a "Duck Dynasty guy" living in a "Miley Cyrus" world.

Willing to bet Billy Ray Cyrus watches Duck Dynasty so those are actually the same world. :aaaaa:

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 8, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm rather terrified to think how BAD American Culture would be if these people had their way.

I keep thinking about how boring culture would be if these people had their way. Not that I enjoy kale or anything, but so much food has come from immigrants these people have bitched about coming over to the US for years.
I don't know what happened to make lattes the item of scorn...anyone know?

Because lattes own.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yes, but it still managed to do damage during the time it took to happen. They're not just looking at long term effects, but short term stalling tactics too.

True, but at the same time I have to wonder what they could've done with the time, money and effort spent on a focus group (AKA those things that ruin everything) and a campaign to change a vocab word if they applied it towards a less abstract effort. Personally I just don't put that much stock into the idea that something like that is causing a major disruption. It strikes me as the same thinking that leads people to think Romney is about to run the table because people at his last rally looked real hyped up.

It's not nothing, but it's far from everything.

Edit: To put it another way I believe that sort of poo poo is one of many many shady tactics that seemingly worked gangbusters in the 90's, that became a GOP habit, and now it's a timesink at best and detrimental at it's worst.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 8, 2014

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Because lattes own.

Because black sludgy percolated coffee was good enough for my pappy and his pappy and by gum it's good enough for me too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Because lattes own.
They are fancy foo-foo drinks that sissy Frenchmen drink in cafes while they're wearing their berets and reading Camus before bicycling home, unlike good honest AMERICAN coffee you can get at any diner or McDonalds or gas station.

Even more simply: "latte" is a foreign-sounding word, which means that it's definitely inferior to the American equivalent and probably homosexual as well.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Because lattes own.

It took the Europeans to create the Latte, and it took some AMERICANS in Seattle to turn it into a billion dollar, 20,000 store, worldwide EMPIRE.

Actually they're quite american if you think about it.

I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't drink from there or their competitors (McDonalds, Panera).

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 8, 2014

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Because lattes own.

They tend to be associated with overpaid neurotic yuppies who get them every day in the morning from Starbucks and sip them while driving their Prius/Volvo/Non-American Car to their lah-dee-dah white collar job. Unlike True Americans who eat several pounds of eggs and bacon every morning with strong black coffee before getting to work on their horse farm or whatever.

Culture War bullshit in other words.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Rush Limbaugh should start a diet advice blog

quote:

RUSH: How many of you believe that eating eggs and mayonnaise and steak and other high fat foods is a no-no, shouldn't do it. It's gonna lead to obesity -- fat, if you're in Rio Linda. It's gonna lead to cholesterol. It's gonna lead to clogged arteries. It's gonna lead to your death, prematurely. You shouldn't get anywhere near it. How many of you believe it? I would venture to say almost everybody believes it, even the people who eat the stuff and they're willing to take the risk. I think probably everybody simple because this has been told to us for a hundred years, or whatever is our entire lives. We've all been told that that stuff is just, "Aw, gee, you don't want it."

I once had it described to me when I was having some fried chicken, pan gravy, "You know, that's the stuff when they do bypass surgery, that's the stuff that they have to clean out of the arteries." I mean people believe this stuff. It's been a 50-year effort to get people to stop eating meat, eggs, and whole fat dairy. And do you know, an entire multiple billion-dollar industry has developed around it. And do you know there is one person responsible? Just like one person is responsible for all the deaths of malaria because we can't use DDT, the idiot Rachel Carson, there's one person responsible for this. The person's name is Ancel Keys

This is from the Wall Street Journal. It is a long article and I'm just gonna give you the nut of it. There is NO evidence -- capital N, capital O; zilch, zero, nada, none, doesn't exist, evidence -- that high-fat diets or high-fat anything leads to heart disease. NO evidence. Once again we have been lied to for decades, in this case by a single scientist who for some reason, what he said was popular with some who picked it up, and I will go out on a limb and say that it may not have been at the outset, but this has been turned into a political issue, because everything is.

Now, you might say, "Aw, come on, Rush. Look, I love you, but what do you mean? What's politics about telling people not to eat mayonnaise and eggs?" Health care is what's politics about it. The fact that you don't know what's good for you is what's politics about it. The fact that you need an FDA or some other government agency telling you what you should and shouldn't eat because you're not bright enough to know what's good for you or not, that's what's politics about it.

What's politics about it is the opportunity it presents for people to control what you do, and they don't even have to work very hard. They just have to pummel you for a few years with the fact that X is gonna kill you and you'll stop doing X or a lot of people will. And not only will you stop doing it, when you see other people doing it, you'll try to shame them. And where has it led? Now we've got to get rid of cattle and cows for global warming because of the methane that comes when they expel gas. That's how you get to the politics of it.

We've gotta stop eating McDonald's hamburgers. Not only will they kill you and give you a heart attack, but they're destroying the planet. That's the politics of it.
There's politics all through this.
Can I tell you a short little story? I've told you this before. I am a man of substance. I am over what the actuarial tables say is my correct weight, and I eat all this stuff. And every time I go in for mandated insurance policy health checkups, the doctors, they take the blood and they do the triglycerides and they do the cholesterol, the good and the bad, they do all of that. And because even what they believe, my readings should be off the charts. They think they need to have a stretcher nearby to get me to the ER right after doing their tests. Then the tests come back and say, whoa, my cholesterol's below normal, good and bad. Triglycerides only slightly elevated.

Then in Hawaii three years ago or so I had what everybody thought was a heart attack, but it wasn't. They went in to find the blockage, so they had to do one of those -- what's the name of it? I forget. But they go in either through your groin or through your arm and they go in there and they find what the blockage is, and if they find it then they do surgery, take it out. The doctor was stunned. There wasn't any. Zero. Zilch, zero, nada blockage. It just didn't compute, based on what I like to eat, what I do eat, what I have eaten.

Now, I know that's just one example, not scientific, it's pure anecdotal. But there are others who are the same way. All it did was disapprove what everybody thinks is the conventional wisdom and theory. I mean, we're all gonna get something. But this is so typical. One man, Ancel Keys.
This guy can be immediately linked and traceable to today's climate scientists. Start out with a premise that you want to be true and then go make it true. Now they've done another huge, huge study here, huge, folks. There is no evidence of this. You can literally eat steak and eggs and butter and cheese and milk, not skim, but the whole thing, guilt free. If you don't like it, that's another thing, but you don't have to feel guilty. And you vegans, man, what a bill of goods you bought.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: I actually believe that part of the reason they tried to run Paula Deen out of business is because she was a big advocate of butter and fat and southern cooking and all that, and she just offended the food Nazis of the left. Do not doubt me on this. I'm not ignoring the other things, but I guarantee you that was part of it.

Now, what is the result of people dropping fats from their diet? They're eating more carbs. "Instead of meat, eggs and cheese, we're eating more pasta, grains --" Oh, yeah, the grains, you'll live forever, right? Berries, go pick 'em up off the floor in the forest, grab berries and eat the bark off trees. Eat the grains, oh, yeah, man, now we're talking health. Wrong. "-- pasta, grains, fruit and starchy vegetables such as potatoes. Even seemingly healthy low-fat foods, such as yogurt, are stealth carb-delivery systems, since removing the fat often requires the addition of fillers to make up for lost texture."

The reality is -- and this can be traced to the Atkins diet and they tried to destroy that guy and everybody that had a derivative. The reality is, fat does not make you fat. Fat does not make you diabetic. Scientific investigations going back to the 1950s suggest that actually it's an overabundance of carbohydrates that do that. They're all broken down as sugar, metabolic process.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: As usual, I checked the e-mail during the break, and I'm kind of glad I got the question. Someday I hope not to have to explain this, but I'm happy to do it. "Rush, do you realize what's going on that you're not talking about? Who cares about saturated fat, fast foods? You got these elections that are happening. Tea Party gets shellacked in North Carolina. You haven't brought it up. We got health care, it's deteriorating, Obama and climate change and you haven't talked about it."

I talked about it all day yesterday. Folks, what do I do here? What do we believe in here? I am perhaps one of the biggest believers in individual liberty, rugged individualism and self-determination there is, because I believe that is what gave us America. I believe rugged individualism, this undying passion for liberty and freedom, to not be controlled, to be able to fulfill our wildest dreams and ambitions, cannot happen if liberalism, socialism, communism rule the day. If people are willing to not trust themselves, not willing to educate themselves and instead turn everything over to the government to protect them, to guide them, we are not gonna have the United States of America as we have it.

The reason I spend time talking about this is because my mission is to expose fascism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, liberalism, everywhere it is. But my primary objective is to try to promote critical thinking. I want you to be skeptical of anything you hear in the media these days. I don't want you to trust any of it. I want you to use your common sense and your own God-given intelligence and just stop for a moment and ask why all of a sudden is minimum wage being discussed. Why all of a sudden income inequality, and then the next day, why global warming?

I want you to finally get to the point that everything happening in the news media today is about getting you to willingly agree to let the government control more and more of your life. And you're not gonna have the best life you can have if you do that, and you're not gonna have the best country we can have. So if I can come along and help you to understand how you're being hoaxed with global warming, how you're being hoaxed with all of this food stuff -- you know, every day, every week it's a different food threat that you now have you avoid if you want to survive. And it's all lies, it's all bogus. And I don't believe that every liberal doctor, medical personnel, health official is a rabid liberal activist. I think they don't know any better.

Some of them genuinely think that you can't take care of yourself, and they want to help you. But they, too, believe a bunch of lies. They have been caught up in all of this, and then in an effort to make themselves feel good, and "I want to make a difference," they start carrying the water on all of this stuff. For 50 years you have been lied to. We've all been lied to about the danger of certain kinds of foods, literally lied to. There is a political agenda attached to it and the political agenda is no more complicated than every time they can make you believe that without them you can't survive, they win.

It is my belief you are better equipped to survive relying on yourself, than turning your life over to people you've never met who have no qualifications.
Barack Obama doesn't know the first thing about the health care business or hospitals or doctors' offices. He doesn't know the first thing about the military. He doesn't know the first thing about anything. He hasn't ever done anything. You know more than Barack Obama about how the business you're in operates and how it succeeds than he does. And you care more than he does, because he's not interested in that.

So that's why I bring this stuff up. I think if, in our schools, critical thinking were taught, and curiosity and skepticism, we'd be much better off, but that's not what's happening. Kids are being propagandized, unknowingly. Global warming, classic example. America sucks, classic example. America unjust, immoral, multicultural, it's all part of a massive effort to discredit things that you really should believe. Yeah, and of course the magic words, "the consensus" is that there is global warming, so you think, "Oh, wow, if all the people smarter than I am think there's global warming, there must be." They're not smarter than you are. That's another thing. They're not smarter than you are. You just think they are.

They wear lab coats or they went to three universities, as our caller said yesterday. Or the conventional wisdom, "Well, everybody else thinks it, I best think it myself," and so forth. Any chance I have exposing something like this, to me, is every bit as important as talking about Obamacare. It's all the same thing, folks. It literally is linked.
In fact, I had this saturated fats story a couple days. I just didn't get to it, lest you think that I'm not discussing things you think are more important. I'm putting it aside. I'm waiting for the opportune time to do it.

I just want the best for everybody. We all dream. We all have ambition. I don't want that to get killed off. I don't want people's aspirations and desires to be great and good and all that to be wiped out by pessimism and fear, lack of confidence. I want everybody to be the best they can be. There's nothing wrong with relying on yourself and there's nothing wrong with self-interest. That's not selfishness. And there certainly is nothing wrong with disagreeing with the majority. There's certainly nothing wrong with being a contrarian, if you believe it.

I'm happy for the question. I hope someday that others understand. I realize the question in the e-mail might have been a taunt, but still it gave me the opportunity. It was settled science that too much fat causes heart attacks? You want to be controlled by what you eat? I mean, it's so unnecessary and it's based on just absolute things that are wrong. Anyway, I could go for the rest of the half hour on this, which is how much I fervently believe it. You know, it's all rooted in the fact that I believe an informed, participating public is the way you get the country you want. And that's what we're about here, pure and simple.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: This is Rick in Orefield, Pennsylvania. Hi. Thank you for calling, sir.

CALLER: Rush, it's a privilege to talk to you. I'm a longtime listener. I consider you my silent inspirational business partner. Hey, I love the way that you correlated the low-fat myth with people's unwillingness to have critical thinking and with the global warming. I've been a bodybuilder since the eighties, and have been preaching about the low-fat myth forever, and people just don't want to listen. I remember when the Atkins book came out getting mad at myself because the only thing Atkins did was document what bodybuilders had been doing since the sixties.

RUSH: Yeah. I practiced the Atkins Diet when it came out, and you're right. There were people saying, "You're gonna kill yourself! That's absolutely horrible. You can't do that. You gotta have your vegetables. You've gotta have carbohydrates!" I said, no. "Yeah, you're gonna get diabetes!" You know, this stuff is so ingrained in people that they literally get mad at you when you violate what they think is life-threatening dietary regimen.

CALLER: I've got into arguments with family members who are dieticians. I've got in arguments with doctors, nurses. My first bodybuilding contest was in 1984. I was eating over 6,000 calories a day and lost 30 pounds in six weeks. It's an easy concept to understand.

RUSH: That's because you probably were not eating any carbs so you had to burn stored whatever for energy, right?

CALLER: Absolutely. There are only three macronutrients. You either got fat, carbohydrates, or proteins. Only one of them is an energy source, and that's carbohydrate, and fat on your body is nothing but stored energy. But, you know, I'll see people -- my own wife -- go to the store. She'll bring home this stuff. "It's low fat, low fat."

"Why did you bring that home?"

"Well, you know, it's low fat. It's good for you."

"Well, turn it over and look at the label!"

Its first ingredient is sugar or fructose or corn syrup. The kids are gaining weight. Okay, what are they drinking? Apple juice, pineapple juice, grape juice. These things are just loaded with carbohydrates. I talk to people and I say, "What's bad about that French fry? What's bad about that potato chip?"

"Oh, it's the fat. It's the salt."

"No, it's not. It's the potato!"

RUSH: (laughing) That's right. Well, here's the thing, folks, because Rick is absolutely right. Here's a guy that doesn't want any fat on his body or as little as possible. What's he doing? He's eating fat and protein. He's not eating carbs. He needs as much muscle mass as he can get, and he's not eating any carbs. He's eating fat and protein, and he's probably very lean. What is your body fat percentage?

CALLER: You know, Rush, I couldn't tell you. I'm five-foot-seven and about 200 pounds, but I'm in a size-33 pair of jeans, if I can get the thighs to fit. I don't know what it is. I go downstairs to my basement five/six days a week and I train with my weights, and I watch what I eat.

RUSH: It's gotta be under 10%. It's probably lower than that. Some athletes --

CALLER: Rush, I feel good. As long as I'm down there, and I feel good, I eat what I want. I'll order steak. I'll have a beer if I want. As long as I leave out the bread with the butter or I leave out the potato or have small portions of carbohydrates. Maintaining a weight is relatively easy, but most people don't want to think about it.

RUSH: Look, this has been "science" for 50 years. People in white lab coats have told us for 50 years -- and then we go to the doctor's office, and they have told us. And then we've got all this cholesterol medicine, and we have all of that. It's just people... They not only become aware of it, they become evangels. They want to save you from committing suicide by eating all these horrible things!

The point here, folks, again, in spending time in this, is that this, just like global warming, is presented as science, and there wasn't anything scientific about the way it was decided. Ancel Keys went around and established this idea that saturated fats cause heart attacks, heart disease, and clogged arteries. It's a shame, but science has become just as corrupt as any other institution that's touched by politics.

It's got some protection because people think that science is unsullied. People think science is untouched by politics, and it's one of the most political disciplines out there anymore. Hell, half the people in science who earn a decent living do it by getting grants from various places to further research to proven a political point or to advance a political agenda.
The only effort here...

Honestly, I don't care what you eat. I really don't. It's your business. If you want to be a vegan, you go right ahead. Just please understand what you're doing -- you're not making yourself healthier -- and don't preach to me about having to do what you do. I'm not one who wants to control what you do and eat. I want you to have free will, and I don't want you living and believing a bunch of lies.

I want you to be able to spot who is lying to you the moment they do.

That's really the objective here. I really... If I could wave a magic wand, it would be that, that people could spot tainted political statements the moment they hear them, hear corrupt political statements and understand the political nature of practically everything around 'em. If we could pull that off, we could stop liberalism in its tracks, because it would be demonstrated as fraudulent before a liberal even opened his mouth.

Anyway, Rick, I appreciate the call.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/07/like_junk_science_on_the_climate_saturated_fat_fearmongering_has_been_exposed_as_baseless
I only took one semester of Nutrition Science but the take home point was: everything in moderation. Limbaugh seems to be saying "schedule an appointment with your doctor so you can curse them as a human being liberal elitist in between bites of your KFC doubledown" which is absolutely awful dietary advice. I mean, just look at him.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

This duck dynasty poo poo is even dumber then usual. The Duck Dynasty people portray themselves as a bunch of unkempt redneck woodsmen right? These business class suburbanites couldn't be farther from them if they tried. Complaining about lattes, loving coffee and milk, being hoity toity is also stupid as hell.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Expect this to start appearing on talk radio tomorrow between Bengazi Committee conversations.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/house-oversight-committee-votes-to-hold-lois-lerner-in-contempt/ posted:

The House of Representatives voted 231-187 tonight to hold former IRS official Lois Lerner in contempt of Congress, weeks after the House Oversight Committee voted to bring the contempt charge to the House floor. The point of contention is whether Lerner waived her Fifth Amendment rights during hearings into IRS political targeting.

In addition to the contempt charge, last month the House Ways and Means Committee voted to refer Lerner to the Justice Department for a possible investigation into criminal charges.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Science Fridays on NPR is basically that.

Has Science Friday gotten better? I listened to it for a while a few years ago, and I had to give up. It was mostly just reading science headlines and giving extremely softball interviews to people trying to hock their new sciencey book. There was absolutely zero journalistic or critical merit to any of it. The show seemed to just take everything at face value in a way that I would say is quite misleading if you are not already familiar with the topics being discussed.

I really don't understand why people like it so much, but maybe it's gotten better.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
More importantly, coffee was heavily associated with Salons in France and the Beat movement in the US. Because the Hippie Generation grew up to vote for Reagan, the Grunge movement found a lot of authenticity in the Beat movement. It had already been going on for a while, within movements like New Wave in the '80s and the synthesis would eventually become "Emo". Traditionally, they drank poo poo-sludge coffee with cigarettes, as is proper. But like the modern Hipster movements, the quest for authenticity has been a defining feature of the American experience since the 1955 "Man in the Gray Flannel Suit". Due to post-War exposure to France there was already an idea of "fancy-foo-foo" French coffee. This is kind of funny, since the super-foo-foo ultra dark roasts were originally designed to hide the piss-poor quality of the coffee (that is why you can extend your meager piss-poor coffee supply by supplementing with chicory -- what you taste isn't real flavor, it is "burnt"). Super dark roasts also had a robust tradition in Italy and Italy didn't have the stigma that France did/does. So counter-culturals drank "fancy" coffee and since homosexuality was counter-cultural by the transitive property fancy coffee is queer and bad. If you can't justify it with a war story, you shouldn't be drinking it!

Now this brings us back to the whole "Grunge" thing. Once again, let's go back in time to the Ramones. The Ramones wanted to be a pop band, they wanted to be the next Beatles (and who can blame them?). They also had some rather . . . odd ideas, like "de-Bluesifying Rock", which should give modern listeners some pause. This contrasts with the Sex Pistols who were transparently created to appeal to a certain sort of cultural outrage and the Clash who actually had something to say. The Clash was the "Most Important Band in the World" in the same way that they NWA was the "Black CNN".

Grunge is very much in the Ramones tradition: seeking authenticity by rejecting historical roots and trying to grab money money money. That's cool. If I lived in Seattle, I'd probably also be depressed and develop a heroin addiction. And if I had a heroin addiction, I would be very keen on earning as much money as humanly possible so I could feed that addiction. Booze is cheap and readily available. Slackers like Fitzgerald knocked out like 1.5 novels worth reading. Who cares?

The Grunge culture of Seattle was a place where coffee could get rebranded. It wasn't some shallow aping of French culture, it was introducing the Italian way of doing things. The French are gays with berets and striped shirts and mimes. Italians, on the other hand, are real men. It's a fine narrative but late '80s, early '90s saw the rise of Rap/Hip-Hop within the white community. All of a sudden, Italians were as white as the Irish! Importantly, they weren't French since French and American Nationalism regularly butt heads and it remains an issue to this day ("Freedom Fries" isn't that long ago, and other examples abound).

But within the cash-driven Grunge movement there still were plenty of demographics that would respond well to Italian coffees. It also happened to be the biggest demographic ever: the Boomers. I'm 31 and I think I speak for a lot of people from my generation who associate Italian food with shittastic chains. But in the same way that Chop-Suey was all the rage in the '20s, Italian food was an exotic form of cultivation. Rather than hitch their wagon to French coffee and any given counter-cultural movement of the moment, why not provide a place where you can get that exclusive drink your father always knew how to order at the end of the meal (like a boss) and make it so that even you can order it like a boss.

This ties in with the slightly obscure nomenclature that Starbucks uses. Early '90s comedians would bitch about how obscure Starbuck's menu is, to the point where you could fold in Jerry Seinfeld by hacking it up and saying, "What is the deal with airplane food?" or "What is the deal with coffee?" But passive-aggressive correction was part of the point. For the target audience, they wanted some alienation since they could never full understand what their father went through while deployed abroad.

'Course there are also a lot of Boomers that grew up with fathers who returned from the War and never spoke about it. They drink their sludge-coffee, probably supplemented with something else. They'd also do weird poo poo like angrily wake up the whole family at 3AM, demand they all load into the car and then drive the car around the block until it ran out of gas and have them push it home before happily waving them off to school the next morning with a smile.

But most of those Boomers knew somebody whose Dad would talk about French coffee, French wine and the Eiffel Tower instead of shutting down and having everyone go for a drive at 3AM.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Non-American spotted!

I don't know what the gently caress happened to the rest of my post. I posted it. Honest.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

True, but at the same time I have to wonder what they could've done with the time, money and effort spent on a focus group (AKA those things that ruin everything) and a campaign to change a vocab word if they applied it towards a less abstract effort. Personally I just don't put that much stock into the idea that something like that is causing a major disruption. It strikes me as the same thinking that leads people to think Romney is about to run the table because people at his last rally looked real hyped up.

It's not nothing, but it's far from everything.

Edit: To put it another way I believe that sort of poo poo is one of many many shady tactics that seemingly worked gangbusters in the 90's, that became a GOP habit, and now it's a timesink at best and detrimental at it's worst.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%22job%20creators%22

And the timing of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_debt-ceiling_crisis_of_2011

I think their 1984 Newspeak bullshit can have profound effects on short term policy results and it does not seem to take much effort beyond planting some stories in the news and going on talk shows to sputter whatever the trigger word or euphemism of the day is.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

kik2dagroin posted:

Rush Limbaugh should start a diet advice blog

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/07/like_junk_science_on_the_climate_saturated_fat_fearmongering_has_been_exposed_as_baseless
I only took one semester of Nutrition Science but the take home point was: everything in moderation. Limbaugh seems to be saying "schedule an appointment with your doctor so you can curse them as a human being liberal elitist in between bites of your KFC doubledown" which is absolutely awful dietary advice. I mean, just look at him.

I'm cool with Rush piling doughnuts into his maw until his heart has a chance to do it's patriotic duty and explode.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
When you post these Limbaugh transcripts I usually read a paragraph or two then scroll past another 5 screens worth to find he's still just saying the same words at the end. That guy can really blabber, man :psyduck:

He's like a slow-motion bullshit auctioneer.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.amazon.com/God-Less-America-Stories-Traditional/dp/1621365913

FWIW I found the guy's book.

It seems to focus on the Chick-Fil-a thing.

What's amazing is how they're so able to shift victomhood around on themselves..

Chapters include:

"The War on Christianity" (Yeah there's some pretty awful poo poo that happens over in Africa...oh wait, you're talking about America? Go gently caress yourself).

"Chick-fil-a: A Gospel Bird"

"So Absurd It could be true:, "The Gospel According to Barack Obama"

"Gay Rights V. Religious Rights"

"Macy's Kinky Thanksgiving Day Parade"

"So Absurd it could be true: "The Interspecies Marriage act of 2025"

"Why does the NFL hate Tim Tebow?" (Spoiler Alert: They don't).

"So Absurd it could be true: The Happy Valley Church of Harmonius Hypocrisy"

"One Nation Under Allah"

"Meth Addicts are fine, but not homeschooling"

"Nazi's, Communist and the USA"

He's allegedly a "Humorist".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Because lattes own.
Here you go you're welcome :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4-vEwD_7Hk