Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

why oh WHY posted:

I don't think it's going to matter nearly as much with Repels getting an auto reuse. Hoenn was my favorite region so I'm super excited.
Seriously, I've never understood the water route complaints considering Repels have existed since the beginning. :psyduck: And with Repels on auto-use it'll be even easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Magres posted:

Time to break out M-Venusaur to fry all the water 'mons in Hoenn :getin:

E: Really, the next big change I'd like to see in Pokemon is to ditch HMs entirely. Now that TMs are reusable, HMs are literally just lovely TMs.

You calling surf lovely?

Any bets on which of our current favourite features will be dropped this time?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Darth TNT posted:

The Repel prompt.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

You calling surf lovely?

Surf is literally the only battle-useful HM I can think of, and it would be better as a TM at this point. The only difference between HMs and TMs is that you can't overwrite HMs.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Magres posted:

Surf is literally the only battle-useful HM I can think of

Waterfall and Defog.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I groaned every time I saw a tree I needed to cut in Y. Get rid of HMs.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Magres posted:

Surf is literally the only battle-useful HM I can think of, and it would be better as a TM at this point. The only difference between HMs and TMs is that you can't overwrite HMs.

Strength and Fly are both usable, though not great.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Yeah, please loving ditch HMs, or at least the inability to overwrite them.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Cerony posted:

If there gonna add newer Pokemon to the Hoenn dex then I know the perfect place for Larvesta/Volcarona.
That really is goddamn perfect, hell they could also throw Heatran in there; Heatran's still DPPt (or event) only otherwise.

Darth TNT posted:

I never played ruby or sapphire, but I was hoping for Z. Were R/S the games with the crap load of HM's or was that the platinum line?
Hoenn has a lot of water, so Fly/Surf was practically a requirement for getting around. Luckily, Pelipper is perfect for that. On the hoping for Z part:

Crosspeice posted:

It could be the same as Gen III with the new games, remakes, then third version. Kalos is the Hoenn of this generation.
This is now what I'm thinking will happen.

Magres posted:

Hell, Rock Smash is now a TM, (when it is was previously an HM) and it works perfectly: if you want to break rocks, teach a mon Rock Smash, then when you're done, overwrite it with a useful move. If you need to smash more rocks, just repeat the process. Just do that for every HM.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blhue posted:

Strength and Fly are both usable, though not great.

Waterfall. How can you guys forget Waterfall. It's one of the, if not the, best Physical water move.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Purple D. Link posted:

Seriously, I've never understood the water route complaints considering Repels have existed since the beginning. :psyduck: And with Repels on auto-use it'll be even easier.

Especially comparing it to stuff like gen V where you'd find a pokemon within two or three seconds of touching a patch of grass. Just try playing Emerald again, you can go for a while without finding any wild pokemon in the water.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

fade5 posted:

That really is goddamn perfect, hell they could also throw Heatran in there; Heatran's still DPPt (or event) only otherwise.

No it's not, you can also catch it in Black 2 and White 2.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

less laughter posted:

No it's not, you can also catch it in Black 2 and White 2.
Oh. I didn't get B2/W2, so I didn't know that.:colbert:

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

They should replace the need for HMs with Key Items that do the same thing. A small hatchet for Cut, a portable jetski for Surf, calling up some rich character you befriended at some point during the game so you can ask him/her for a lift in their private helicopter instead of using Fly. It'd work.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Waterfall. How can you guys forget Waterfall. It's one of the, if not the, best Physical water move.

I didn't say Waterfall because someone else already had. I do hate that there's two different water HMs though. When you need to climb waterfalls, you're either forced to tote around two dudes with them or one who has both (and can only usefully use one in combat).

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

less laughter posted:

Waterfall and Defog.

Defog is an HM? Didn't know that :downs:

I haven't found it in XY and haven't played any older gens since Gen 2 (well, half of Gen 3 but never finished it because I got X)

I don't think they should get rid of the HM moves, by any means. They're useful as hell. I just want them to go the Rock Smash route and all become TMs

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Magres posted:

Defog is an HM? Didn't know that :downs:

I haven't found it in XY and haven't played any older gens since Gen 2 (well, half of Gen 3 but never finished it because I got X)

Not anymore, but it was in gen IV.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Line Feed posted:

They should replace the need for HMs with Key Items that do the same thing. A small hatchet for Cut, a portable jetski for Surf, calling up some rich character you befriended at some point during the game so you can ask him/her for a lift in their private helicopter instead of using Fly. It'd work.

A protein shake instead of Strength. :frogc00l:

e: vvvvv Zigzagoon and Linoone are still the coolest* first-route Normal Pokémon in the series so they'll do just fine.

*maybe second to Sentret and Furret

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 7, 2014

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Line Feed posted:

But then what will happen to all the world's zigzagoons?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

I will hold them and pet them because they remind me of one of my childhood cattes :3:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

JordanKai posted:

Zigzagoon and Linoone are still the coolest* first-route Normal Pokémon in the series so they'll do just fine.

*maybe second to Sentret and Furret

Diggersby tho

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
So showdown has a custom metagame called almost any ability, where your pokemon can have almost any ability, which can produce some interesting combos. I put together a team designed to abuse hail and toxic, and have won all 3 of my matches so far.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-117578728

The team consists of a magic guard blissey, flash fire skarm, snow warning avalugg, refridgerate dragonite, no guard porygon 2, and a regular abomasnow.

I try to find openings for sweeps, but usually it just devolves into a switch off

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I was amazed at how the first route in X/Y that I got that turned into Talonflame (named Col.Crazy in honor of Pokemon Quartz) completely rocked face. After seeing Gale Wing talonflames I will never make fun of first route pokemon ever again.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Simsmagic posted:

Pickup is still boss.

Being a Pickup user that can actually fight in a pinch is awesome, I actually won two separate random battles with my item hunting team of Galvantula+5 Linoone. Belly Drum+Extreme Speed is legitimately terrifying since Linoone has just enough coverage with two of Shadow Claw/Seed Bomb/Play Rough to make it work, it's how I ended up winning those battles.:getin:

Yes Diggersby has Pickup, but it's only really viable with Huge Power.:colbert:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 7, 2014

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Well I'm excited about the new remakes. Hoenn's a beautiful region with a lot of variety. Volcanoes, deserts, underwater paths, beaches, sunken ships, cities inside of an inactive volcano, cities on treetops, etc etc. Makes me really excited to see how they'll look with a big graphics update. Also I wonder if secret bases will be exchanged via streetpasses, seems like the kind of thing suited for it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It'll be weird seeing Ruby/Sapphire in the XY engine, that's for sure.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Are trumpets still in?

And secret bases? :neckbeard:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Brick Shipment posted:

Are trumpets still in?

Mega Rayquaza takes the shape of a giant trumpet.

The first and only Dragon/Trumpet type.

The Trumpet type is super-effective against all other types.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Brick Shipment posted:

Are trumpets still in?

And secret bases? :neckbeard:

We can only hope

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm hoping for Mega Flygon that actually becomes a Bug/Dragon type. That way he'll be unique again instead of just worse Garchomp.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Geostomp posted:

I'm hoping for Mega Flygon that actually becomes a Bug/Dragon type. That way he'll be unique again instead of just worse Garchomp.

Flygon will always be the best three-stage Dragon in my heart. :saddowns:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

JordanKai posted:

Flygon will always be the best three-stage Dragon in my heart. :saddowns:

Ha, it doesn't even qualify as a three-stage Dragon since Trapinch is pure Ground.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm looking forward to how they change Ruby and Sapphire to be not aggressively awful, since literally everything about those two games besides the mon list is terrible (Ludicolo is GOD)

Like seriously mannnnnnnnnn was gen III bad.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Are you guys positive that these games actually take place in Hoenn? Groudon and Kyogre both have the ability to create new landmasses and seas, so maybe its possible that they made a new land that's similar but not quite Hoenn? :shepface:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Never played any of gen 3 growing up so this'll be a nice way to experience it! Excitement!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FPzero posted:

Never played any of gen 3 growing up so this'll be a nice way to experience it! Excitement!

Imagine if the entire world were a Zubat cave

There, now you have played gen 3

Darth TNT posted:

No dressup, rollerskates will be removed, no Special Training, all the HMs will be game-necessary to progress, EXP Share reverts to held item

Honestly at this point Pokemon should straight-up allow you to turn random encounters off Bravely Default style. There's no reason not to and all it does is make the game more tedious.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 7, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It was also a strange time where picking Charmander wasn't instant death against the first gym leader.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Occupation posted:

Imagine if the entire world were a Zubat cave

This isn't true at all.

Honen is not near as water route filled as people like to say.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dr Pepper posted:

This isn't true at all.

Honen is not near as water route filled as people like to say.

Oh, no, just 50%+ of the places that weren't water filled were literal loving caves of Zubat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It'll be nice to play Gen3 in a world where people actually like Pokemon instead of as the lone weird kid in highschool who Still Plays Pokemon, What A Weirdo. Had nobody to trade with except my little brother, and I never got to see anyone else's hideouts or anything. Pokemon was just not cool during the GBA's lifespan. Thanks for bringing it back, DS.

• Locked thread