Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

I used to hate the character and saw her as the ultimate cynical attempt to draw in dumb teenage readers (Wolverine but as a hot teen girl! with angst!!), but Marjorie Liu did a good job of making her three-dimensional and interesting in her third solo series.

That, and they decided to have a mutant character whose life didn't revolve around the X-Men, not to mention not really having a romantic subplot other than breaking up with Hellion. So of course Bendis slapped that poo poo down right quick.

Why couldn't they have given her back to Yost for New Warriors? I mean he probably wouldn't have shoved in a cheap amnesia plot to explain why she was around and start randomly shipping her with another character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gatts posted:

Is Soule good? I haven't read anything by him.

I haven't gotten around to reading his indy stuff, but I dig his work across the board. Though Inhuman is only one issue so far and that can go either way. He fixed Thunderbolts, made the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship remotely interesting, did a fun Riddler story in Legends of the Dark Knight, helped Swamp Thing shake off the stink of Snyder's Rotworld epic, is going strong on She-Hulk and has made Red Lanterns (of all books!) the best comic DC has going.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Well, you just read the best counter-argument to that point of view.
Even if you see it as the government trying to regulate superhumans, the Initiative was not a sensible way of doing things. Colorful costumes are a silly thing - shouldn't the government give them uniforms and badges? No law enforcement body in America presently uses conscription, and the military has also been 100% voluntary ever since the end of the Vietnam War. Also, some of the conscripts looked like minors, such as Cloud 9. If Civil War was the government trying to do something sensible by registering and regulating superheroes, the Initiative was the government responding with something every bit as daft as the problem they were trying to solve. It was not a good direction for the books to take and this awkward follow-up is probably the reason why Civil War has been forgotten in current Marvel Comics.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Wanderer posted:

She's an alcoholic too.

I have to figure that of the list of things you think might go wrong with Captain Marvel, a relapse shouldn't be on it until such a time as DeConnick is off the book.

That is really nice that she put her email up and offered to be an ear for that person.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
^^^ Yeah, that was really great of her to go "I know how hard it can be" and offer help

Baron Bifford posted:

Even if you see it as the government trying to regulate superhumans, the Initiative was not a sensible way of doing things. Colorful costumes are a silly thing - shouldn't the government give them uniforms and badges? No law enforcement body in America presently uses conscription, and the military has also been 100% voluntary ever since the end of the Vietnam War. Also, some of the conscripts looked like minors, such as Cloud 9. If Civil War was the government trying to do something sensible by registering and regulating superheroes, the Initiative was the government responding with something every bit as daft as the problem they were trying to solve. It was not a good direction for the books to take and this awkward follow-up is probably the reason why Civil War has been forgotten in current Marvel Comics.

As I recall, the Initiative was basically just Tony trying to get out in front of registration so that any superhuman who popped up was trained and a reserve Avenger. Meaning if poo poo went down, there was a database of skilled and capable people he could call in to help. The Initiative was literally just training until the government made it a super-military thing.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I love what Ellis is doing in Moon Knight so much. I haven't seen anyone commenting on the way it's going, if you haven't picked up on the common thread in all the one-off issues so far: the villains are all former soldiers, betrayed by their fellows or superiors, who died and returned to life. Former SHIELD agent crippled, former sniper betrayed by bankers, former punk left lonely by time.

In all three issues, Moon Knight is very specifically active at night, protecting people walking around New York, minding their own business. What is Khonshu? Watcher of Overnight Travelers. I have little prior experience so that might be the metaphor every other writer has already used already in conjunction with his superhero role.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Mimir posted:

I love what Ellis is doing in Moon Knight so much. I haven't seen anyone commenting on the way it's going, if you haven't picked up on the common thread in all the one-off issues so far: the villains are all former soldiers, betrayed by their fellows or superiors, who died and returned to life. Former SHIELD agent crippled, former sniper betrayed by bankers, former punk left lonely by time.

In all three issues, Moon Knight is very specifically active at night, protecting people walking around New York, minding their own business. What is Khonshu? Watcher of Overnight Travelers. I have little prior experience so that might be the metaphor every other writer has already used already in conjunction with his superhero role.

That's actually new to Ellis, although Moon Knight has pretty much always been a nocturnal vigilante based in New York (and the west coast for a while). The first run had a lot of international intrigue (Nimrod Strange comes to mind, as does his origin story).

Khonshu has been a number of different things, depending on the writer. The Moench run had Khonshu as the Egyptian God of Vengeance and the moon. Somewhere along the line long after Moench left the book and the initial run ended, I think while Moon Knight was a West Coast Avenger, they revealed that Khonshu was a God of Justice. Dixon basically wrote Moon Knight as white Batman. Huston sort of threw out the Khonshu as a real entity and made Marc completely batshit insane (not that he wasn't to begin with, but he wasn't cutting faces off insane). I never read the Bendis run, but from all descriptions its closer to Huston's work than Moench's. If you couldn't tell, Moon Knight was one of the first comics I got into. The first series had a lot of excellent stories (and phenomenal artwork once Bill S. grew away from his Neal Adams phase).

Ellis seems to be coming back to those kinds of stories, weird, often supernatural poo poo going down and Marc/Jake/Steven/Moon Knight working in concert to fix things. I also like how he explains Marc's particular brand of insanity. I didn't hate what Huston did with the character, but I really didn't like that Khonshu was relegated to a bloodthirsty hallucination and Marc as a character suffered from that portrayal (he's a real dick in Huston's run). I like where Ellis seems to be going with the series. First comic I've actually bought in a long time.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I love the new Moon Knight. The art is really stellar.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I loved Moon Knight's "solution" in this issue. When I saw his gear I'm all: "Yes! This is pure super hero comics!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh my store got short shipped Moon Knight again!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh my store got short shipped Moon Knight again!

I was so busy today I forgot to read it. It's possible I was too busy playing with the bouncing Watcher eyeballs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm surprised and maybe I missed it, but what are peoples thoughts on She-Hulk. I'm kind of digging the hell out of it, it's kind of light hearted but I dig the art and the nice balance of humour. Plus, Super Lawyer is pretty amazing.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Two pages ago, and here and there throughout the thread - general consensus, it's really fun, and the coloring is amazing, but you have to get past the face art.

While we're on "is anyone out there?"... any thoughts on the new Ultimate Spiderman? I'm interested, but I'm still behind on the original series and didn't read Cataclysm. Also, they didn't waste much time in blowing up the whole "things in the Ultimate universe are PERMANENT" ideal, didn't they?

EDIT: Leaving the "spoiler" for posterity, but I'm apparently bad at comics.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 8, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Modern Leper posted:

Two pages ago, and here and there throughout the thread - general consensus, it's really fun, and the coloring is amazing, but you have to get past the face art.

While we're on "is anyone out there?"... any thoughts on the new Ultimate Spiderman? I'm interested, but I'm still behind on the original series and didn't read Cataclysm. Also, they didn't waste much time in blowing up the whole "things in the Ultimate universe are PERMANENT" ideal, didn't they?

EDIT: Leaving the "spoiler" for posterity, but I'm apparently bad at comics.

If you are talking about the last page, the villains are the Chameleon twins so nothing is really what it seems.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Thoughts on Ultimate Spider-man are on the ultimate thread :v but to your spoiler question: oh yeah, long ago with beast and right now with Doctor Doom, but there's no way that the last page isn't a fakeout given what enemies Miles appears to be facing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm enjoying Magneto, especially since they're not shying away from him being a straight up villain.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

I'm enjoying Magneto, especially since they're not shying away from him being a straight up villain.

Is he? Really? Even with the bullshit "we're just trying to make a safe space for humans and those serial killings were an accident" excuse, they were still kidnapping innocent homeless teenagers and "sacrificing" them.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Got both She-Hulk and Moon Knight; loved both issues. I love the art style and the writing in both; I like that Marvel has tried to emulate the success of Hawkeye, but without copying the formula and just letting good writers/artists do their thing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

He's a bad bad guy again? Sigh, how loving lame.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
He's closer to a mutant-centric Punisher than a straight-up villain.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Well now the New Warriors finally got the team together, the story and pacing are finally picking up. Also loved watching the team finally interact with each other.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

WickedHate posted:

Is he? Really? Even with the bullshit "we're just trying to make a safe space for humans and those serial killings were an accident" excuse, they were still kidnapping innocent homeless teenagers and "sacrificing" them.

Less a villain, I think, and more a bastard with goals. I'm enjoying it, though; the dude's frankly more interesting at this level of power than as a guy who can launch meteors into orbit.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gatts posted:

He's a bad bad guy again? Sigh, how loving lame.

He's not so much a 'bad bad guy' so much as, as has been stated, a Mutant Punisher; he's willing to go way, way past what a hero would find 'acceptable' in order to protect mutantkind, but he's still doing terrible things for a valid reason.

That we can argue whether or not his actions are at all justified is, I suspect, part of the point.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The idea of the book is to essentially make a comic of that awesome first act of First Class where Magneto's all about using his (limited) powers to murder the gently caress up evil people he feels deserve it.

He's worse than the Punisher, though, because he did kill a bunch of cops in the first issue for daring to protect a prisoner.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

He's not so much a 'bad bad guy' so much as, as has been stated, a Mutant Punisher; he's willing to go way, way past what a hero would find 'acceptable' in order to protect mutantkind, but he's still doing terrible things for a valid reason.

That we can argue whether or not his actions are at all justified is, I suspect, part of the point.

Back in X-Men #1, he tried to take over Cape Citadel because he felt it was for the good of the mutant race. Today, he's giving people girders through the head for the good of the mutant race.

Hypothetical; if you could have portrayed that in comic books in '63, would Magneto have shoved the Cape Citadel soldier's guns through their heads? Discuss.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I still can't get how heavyset Magneto is in the art, it's kinda cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WickedHate posted:

He's basically being a huge hypocrite considering he's pretty much doing the same thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

He's basically being a huge hypocrite considering he's pretty much doing the same thing.

He hasn't killed innocent people, except for the mentioned cops but I don't remember that(I'll have to re-read it).

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AbsolutelySane posted:

That's actually new to Ellis, although Moon Knight has pretty much always been a nocturnal vigilante based in New York (and the west coast for a while). The first run had a lot of international intrigue (Nimrod Strange comes to mind, as does his origin story).

Khonshu has been a number of different things, depending on the writer. The Moench run had Khonshu as the Egyptian God of Vengeance and the moon. Somewhere along the line long after Moench left the book and the initial run ended, I think while Moon Knight was a West Coast Avenger, they revealed that Khonshu was a God of Justice. Dixon basically wrote Moon Knight as white Batman. Huston sort of threw out the Khonshu as a real entity and made Marc completely batshit insane (not that he wasn't to begin with, but he wasn't cutting faces off insane). I never read the Bendis run, but from all descriptions its closer to Huston's work than Moench's. If you couldn't tell, Moon Knight was one of the first comics I got into. The first series had a lot of excellent stories (and phenomenal artwork once Bill S. grew away from his Neal Adams phase).

Ellis seems to be coming back to those kinds of stories, weird, often supernatural poo poo going down and Marc/Jake/Steven/Moon Knight working in concert to fix things. I also like how he explains Marc's particular brand of insanity. I didn't hate what Huston did with the character, but I really didn't like that Khonshu was relegated to a bloodthirsty hallucination and Marc as a character suffered from that portrayal (he's a real dick in Huston's run). I like where Ellis seems to be going with the series. First comic I've actually bought in a long time.

I don't think we need to spoiler the Huston run. I agree generally, although I thought the Huston run was the best one after Moench's. However, I think he still left the reality of Khonshu up in the air. MK does a lot of stuff in those stories that are on the cusp of 'does he have superpowers or not?' Also, the way the Profile reacts to him creates a lot of ambiguity. I really hope Ellis brings back the Profile--I really liked that character.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Seldom Posts posted:

I don't think we need to spoiler the Huston run. I agree generally, although I thought the Huston run was the best one after Moench's. However, I think he still left the reality of Khonshu up in the air. MK does a lot of stuff in those stories that are on the cusp of 'does he have superpowers or not?' Also, the way the Profile reacts to him creates a lot of ambiguity. I really hope Ellis brings back the Profile--I really liked that character.
That's one of my favorite parts of Moon Knight. It's still so ambiguous if he's actually crazy, or actually has superpowers from a God, and even if some hack writer says he legitimately does, he's so crazy at this point that someone else can just as easily say "Nah he doesn't" and within the context of Moon Knight, no one really bats an eyelash

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't really like that version of Khonshu being overly bloodthirsty and a total douchbag, but the opening arc with Taskmaster was amazing, and that annual(I think?) with the girls in a survivor group was neat.

The current Moon Knight is one of my favorite comic books period, and we haven't even got into the meat of it yet. Maybe I'm overly optimistic? It helps that I really enjoy the writer. Black Summer is another of my favorites.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 8, 2014

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
I like what Ellis is doing on Moon Knight but it's the art that makes the book great. Declan Shalvey & Jordie Bellaire on a book just makes me :swoon:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Thurm posted:

I like what Ellis is doing on Moon Knight but it's the art that makes the book great. Declan Shalvey & Jordie Bellaire on a book just makes me :swoon:

Yeah, this has been stupendous so far. I picked it up on the premise of Warren Ellis and a street-level hero (two things I want more of), and I got a gorgeous book. I'm ok with a wide range in art quality, but this is one of those books that reminds me why good art can be so important.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Seldom Posts posted:

I originally thought I'd put more about the current run in there. Once I posted, I realized pretty much none of that needed to be spoilered. The Profile was the best part of Huston's run to me, that, and Marc using him to get his registration card. My biggest problem with Huston's run is that it turned Marc into a vicious psychopath. The bloodthirsty Khonshu didn't sit well with me, either, because Khonshu had never really been portrayed that way before. It felt like Huston wanted to make Moon Knight more grim and gritty, and that led to more blood, more insanity, more woman beating, etc ... I didn't hate his run, but I think he took Marc too far down the rabbit hole. He's always been a man searching for redemption from his past, and Huston pretty much just changed out his victims from innocents to criminals and left him as the same violent mercenary he'd been before, just insane and suffering from multiple-personality disorder.

Thurm posted:

Bill Sienkiewicz's artwork is part of what made the Moench run so special. There's a definite step down when he leaves the book, and it completely craters when Moench leaves as well. The current run reminds me of the best parts of that run in a lot of ways. The storytelling and the art mesh together very well.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What kind of bird is the one talking to Moon Knight?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

What kind of bird is the one talking to Moon Knight?

That's Khonshu, show a little respect! :colbert:

And Khons was typically depicted with a Falcon's head (when it wasn't a child's head) so I'm willing to bet that's what his skull is supposed to be.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NotALizardman posted:

That's Khonshu, show a little respect! :colbert:

And Khons was typically depicted with a Falcon's head (when it wasn't a child's head) so I'm willing to bet that's what his skull is supposed to be.

seems about right

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

How is the new Iron Fist series? I really liked the Immortal Iron Fist run but I don't know much about the new writer Kaare Andrews and I heard it was really dark and aping the style of Frank Miller, whose early work I really love but most people doing his style tend to do it badly.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its a comic book about a kung fu master punching zombie robot ninjas. so if thats your thing w/e if its not ok!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

How is the new Iron Fist series? I really liked the Immortal Iron Fist run but I don't know much about the new writer Kaare Andrews and I heard it was really dark and aping the style of Frank Miller, whose early work I really love but most people doing his style tend to do it badly.

I went in knowing nothing about the character, and have really dug it so far. I actually came in here to see if anyone was else was talking about it. Read each issue with some wu-tang playing in the background, because GZA's liquid swords is the unofficial soundtrack.

That said. He's a brooding kung-fu master with chi powers he got from kung fu Asgard or something. He punches zombie ninjas and zombie-cyborg ninjas into little pieces with fire punches. Also there are some cool-art flashback scenes about dead parents.

If any of that sounds cool, check out issue one.

• Locked thread