Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

feraltennisprodigy posted:

killthewicked is a pretty chill dude, I've played all his tracks except for the FMX (tricks) ones so far and they've been pretty drat solid.

They seem like quite a prolific builder, certainly. I've raced 6 or 7 of their tracks now (all of which were great), but searching for them brings up *four result-screens of tracks*. So I've a lot of racing to see.

I have it on secret authority that their next track, will be landing in the next 30 mins or so :ninja:

Slate Action posted:

Man, gently caress the god drat barrel jump in Inferno IV. I have no idea how I did it on my first two attempts, the loving thing is impossible now. How can I be getting worse at an obstacle the more I try it?

I feel your pain :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
260 straight faults on the last obstacle of Inferno IV, ran out of time. Kill me now

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Slate Action posted:

260 straight faults on the last obstacle of Inferno IV, ran out of time. Kill me now

No point; you'd rise from the grave. If you are the sort to stick with it until you time-out or fault-out, then you have the indomitable spirit necessary to be victorious.

...eventually...

You know, after you've worn out a controller or two. (If we go all the way back to THD, I've strictly speaking lost 4 controllers to this franchise. Not due to rage, but due to *wear* :stare:) Edit: Also rage :haw:

magimix fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 7, 2014

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Finally got the gold on Ice Climb. Only been playing for about 6 hours today. I think I've hit my skill barrier for now though, the expert tracks just aren't yielding to me.

Edit: only 22m off platinum. I'm going back for more.

Maw fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 7, 2014

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

magimix posted:

You know, after you've worn out a controller or two. (If we go all the way back to THD, I've strictly speaking lost 4 controllers to this franchise. Not due to rage, but due to *wear* :stare:) Edit: Also rage :haw:
I think I've only ruined one controller, and I didn't ruin it completely so much as I wore the left analog-stick down on the top right side of a 360 controller so that it wasn't on the same level as the rest of the stick.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

magimix posted:

No point; you'd rise from the grave. If you are the sort to stick with it until you time-out or fault-out, then you have the indomitable spirit necessary to be victorious.

...eventually...

It's just so demoralizing. You do all the other obstacles, the finish line is right there, you can see it, all you have to do is perch on a platform that's about 5% wider than your bike is and do an immaculate bunny hop. Easy, right?

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

magimix posted:

They seem like quite a prolific builder, certainly. I've raced 6 or 7 of their tracks now (all of which were great), but searching for them brings up *four result-screens of tracks*. So I've a lot of racing to see.

I have it on secret authority that their next track, will be landing in the next 30 mins or so :ninja:

Heh yeah, I have him as a friend on PS4 and I never see him do anything but build or test tracks, dude's a machine

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I get worse at this the more I play. I almost put my controller through the television today before realizing I had popped a vicodin earlier, which makes me extremely grumpy, and probably should not being playing Trials.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Slate Action posted:

It's just so demoralizing. You do all the other obstacles, the finish line is right there, you can see it, all you have to do is perch on a platform that's about 5% wider than your bike is and do an immaculate bunny hop. Easy, right?
I've found the best thing to do is just walk away from a track after enough boned attempts, especially if your play has been degrading over time. There are a couple of the hard tracks where I'm THIS CLOSE to platting, but after about 20 or so solid attempts, I'll start loving up more and more of the middle parts where I was once executing strongly, then that'll degrade to the early parts sucking. At that point it's time to just call it a session and go back to improving some times on easier tracks for a while, and come back to the track giving me poo poo later on with a clearer head.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
If you're ever in the zone, do not stop playing, sometimes that zone can last a while.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Good lord it bugs me that not only does the replay not have slow-motion, it doesn't seem to have rewind of any sort. How hard is the drat replay function?!

Is there any way to skip through YouTube videos in slow motion?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

you used to be able to use the arrow keys for frame-by-frame when paused, but not anymore (at least not in my browser). You can try holding the space bar and it will continually pause and unpause the video for a fake slowmo effect.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mr. nobody posted:

If you're ever in the zone, do not stop playing, sometimes that zone can last a while.
This mindset destroyed my hands/wrists in Trials HD (which subsequently is why I switched to the face button for gas), I think I played like 6pm-3am for a few days straight. But hey I zero faulted Inferno 2 and was 8th that one time!

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Good lord it bugs me that not only does the replay not have slow-motion, it doesn't seem to have rewind of any sort. How hard is the drat replay function?!

Did they ever have rewind? I remember being annoyed with watching replays cause I couldn't rewind.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Your best bet would be to download it and then play it in a player that you can step through frame by frame.

Pretty sure VLC media player has this capability and it's open source freeware from sourceforge ( link )

Supposedly the lack of rewind/frame by frame in replays is because something about those would break replay synchs in previous games. So far I haven't seen that replay desynch issues in Fusion.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I never really hurt my hands playing trials, but when I first started I realized I tended to not blink while playing. My eyes were really sore/watery after my first marathon and it hurt to play the next day.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
INFERNO IV IS DEAD

gently caress THIS GAME

GOODNIGHT

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Slate Action posted:

INFERNO IV IS DEAD

gently caress THIS GAME

GOODNIGHT
Now try to do it under 300 faults, then 200, 100, and 0!

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

I've found the best thing to do is just walk away from a track after enough boned attempts, especially if your play has been degrading over time.

Definitely this. Some of the hard tracks that I've struggled to get a silver on for hours, I've managed to gold on my first try after taking a break to have a cup of tea and watch tv/revise/do anything that isn't trials for a bit. I guess the more you fail the more frustrated and on edge you get, and I always seem to do better when I relax.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I think you tend to try and brute force things when you fail it consistently, like you'll just gun the accelerator and hope you can get through it. It's a simple thing, but you have to remind yourself that if your approach isn't working, it probably wont work the next hundred times, you need to change it up.

Got a bit through Inferno IV, up to the bit where you have to hop off the wheel onto the barrels before running out of tries. It's hard :(

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Jeffrey posted:

I never really hurt my hands playing trials, but when I first started I realized I tended to not blink while playing. My eyes were really sore/watery after my first marathon and it hurt to play the next day.

I recall reading an article about this, as you get more involved in a game you end up blinking less and your eyes dry out.

You can tell when I've been gaming all weekend because the following Monday I look like I'm stoned. My eyes end up being so red from staring at a screen and not blinking much.

I've hurt my hands playing games, usually from getting too involved and using a death grip on my control.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Nibbles141 posted:

Got a bit through Inferno IV, up to the bit where you have to hop off the wheel onto the barrels before running out of tries. It's hard :(

I'm not sure if this helps, but the method I eventually figured out was this: after pressing 'b' and respawning on the wheel, let your bike roll back for a fraction of a second, then hit the gas and bunny hop across the gap. (You need to get a good wheelie going into the bunny hop or else you won't make it.) The goal is to plant your back tire on the top of the bottom-most barrel, then lean forward to surge to the top of the barrel pile, then bounce your back tire off of the top barrel to get some air so you clear the explosive, then bounce across the rail to the checkpoint. All the videos I watched involved stopping on the bottom barrel to get the angle right, but I've always had better luck just gunning it.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I might try gunning it next time. Got the same tip from Youtube too but just couldn't hit the rotation at the top of the stack to hop off it. I was only hitting the barrels in like 1 of 20 goes so I ended up starting from static instead of trying to power through it. In about 400 tries I only cleared the barrels two or three times, one was so close too arrrrgh

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
*sigh*

So there I was, grinding out plats, and the right-trigger went and failed on me. This is my second DS4. The first also had the right-trigger fail. This game eats controllers!

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Doesn't help that the DS4 is a POS. Sony will however replace them under warranty for no charge other than the cost to ship to them.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
I've been making some progress on Inferno IV, I can get to the obstacle at 2:20 in this video pretty consistently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAZkwIzyptY

but that is where I spend all my retries :| I've gotten past it 2 times, but without fail I'll be at roughly 450 retries by then so I get one or two obstacles further before reaching 500

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This thread needs more trash talking.

Take that, Glider and your tricks nobody else can do consistently. :colbert:

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Gildersneeze you done been called out son :drat:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

hostile apostle posted:

Doesn't help that the DS4 is a POS. Sony will however replace them under warranty for no charge other than the cost to ship to them.

I happen to like the DS4 as a controller :colbert: But it is undeniably too fragile. I seem to remember, after the first DS4 broke, describing my silver 360 controller (many years old and going strong) to a friend as a "tank that can dance ballet". Seriously, I could hammer in nails with this thing[1]. Say what you will about MS, they know peripherals.

[1] Since I've no viable DS4, I've been grinding out plats in the PC version, because I apparently can't stand to go an evening without playing Trials.

I have a funny thought in my head that I'll maintain a rotation of DS4's henceforth, having the current good, working one to keep me going while I wait for the RMA'd ones to come back, in time for the current one to bust and be RMA'd. Or maybe I break the cycle, and pay a machinist to make full-on metal custom triggers to replace the plastic ones. (I would totally do this, if the cost of the custom triggers was not too much more than the cost of a DS4 :stare:)

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Trials is conspicuously missing escalators :colbert: where's the mall setting?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

wa27 posted:

This thread needs more trash talking.

Take that, Glider and your tricks nobody else can do consistently. :colbert:
What's that?! You'll have to speak louder from back there!

WHAT?!

NO, I STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU! CATCH UP TO ME AND TELL ME, OKAY?!

Edit: for the record, I can't do that trick at the start of swamp crash consistently, either.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 10, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I respect your guys' alien skills, and while I try and put up decent runs that are a little fun to watch replays of, I guess my brain doesn't connect to my hands in the same way.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I finished my first track for PC.

Its called 'Rock On'. I'd love it if a few of you could check it out. I set it has HARD, but after watching some of the leaderboard replays smash it out, I'm not so sure.

I'd love some feedback though!

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

tehsid posted:

Its called 'Rock On'. I'd love it if a few of you could check it out. I set it has HARD, but after watching some of the leaderboard replays smash it out, I'm not so sure.

Oh, man, I was just streaming Track Central stuff, too. I saw that track name and thought it was something I'd raced on before; should have checked the leaderboards. If I end up streaming some more Fusion tomorrow, I'll be sure to check it out and drop some feedback.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wow, has there seriously not been a single patch for the game yet? I know they're probably trying to sync update certification between platforms, but the PC version still has major known bugs that people pointed out during the first couple days of beta testing.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Dominic White posted:

Wow, has there seriously not been a single patch for the game yet? I know they're probably trying to sync update certification between platforms, but the PC version still has major known bugs that people pointed out during the first couple days of beta testing.

I could have sworn there has been at least one update for the PC version since release. Not that it did anything for the issues affecting my copy of the game (crippling performance issues[1] introduced during pre-release, in a patch that itself was intended to fix a game-breaking issue that was introduced in a *prior* patch :stare:)

PS4 continues to be lead version for me, as it runs the most reliably (despite its own issues).

[1] "Performance issues" might be somewhat a misnomer. Sometimes the game will run at half speed, and sometimes it won't. There is no rhyme nor reason to it I can discern. It is not bound to resolution or graphics options, and no particular part of the game is more or less affected than any other (it can even happen when you aren't racing!). Sometimes a session will be fine. Sometimes it'll poo poo the bed for the first track of a given tier only. Sometimes it'll happen on a checkpoint restart. Sometimes it'll sort itself after a few minutes. Sometimes restarting the game helps, but sometimes it doesn't.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

tehsid posted:

I liked it. It feels a bit more like a higher end medium than a hard, and it's quite short, but it has some neat bits in. I love the starting obstacle too.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

magimix posted:

I could have sworn there has been at least one update for the PC version since release. Not that it did anything for the issues affecting my copy of the game (crippling performance issues[1] introduced during pre-release, in a patch that itself was intended to fix a game-breaking issue that was introduced in a *prior* patch :stare:)

PS4 continues to be lead version for me, as it runs the most reliably (despite its own issues).

[1] "Performance issues" might be somewhat a misnomer. Sometimes the game will run at half speed, and sometimes it won't. There is no rhyme nor reason to it I can discern. It is not bound to resolution or graphics options, and no particular part of the game is more or less affected than any other (it can even happen when you aren't racing!). Sometimes a session will be fine. Sometimes it'll poo poo the bed for the first track of a given tier only. Sometimes it'll happen on a checkpoint restart. Sometimes it'll sort itself after a few minutes. Sometimes restarting the game helps, but sometimes it doesn't.
You possibly have some processes running in the BG that cause these things; I did too.

Stuff to disable:

-any "popup" notifications from programs such as skype, any kind of media player, Steam, uPlay, etc. Those cause problems with games like a motherfucker (this happens in far more games than Fusion; Spelunky comes to mind as another recent example for me).

-any of those silly "Windows Experience" scheduled tasks which are on by default. You don't need a weekly/nightly check to make sure you haven't added a new graphics card or some bullshit.

-scheduled virus scans, etc.

-Flash Player. This was the number one culprit for me. Fortunately I have a laptop as well as a desktop atm, so I just set that up to handle monitoring my stream, but god drat does that bloated piece of CPU/Memory gobbling poo poo cause issues with hogging the CPU to no end.

Edit: Once I cleaned up the garbage running in the background, the game went from occasionally chugging on low settings to a rock-solid 60FPS on high, and my system is old as gently caress (1st Gen i5-750, nvidia GTX-670, no SSD, onboard sound, etc).

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, despite their best efforts, game developers haven't developed magic wands to just zap away those pesky bugs yet.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 11, 2014

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

You possibly have some processes running in the BG that cause these things; I did too.

Stuff to disable:

-any "popup" notifications from programs such as skype, any kind of media player, Steam, uPlay, etc. Those cause problems with games like a motherfucker (this happens in far more games than Fusion; Spelunky comes to mind as another recent example for me).

-any of those silly "Windows Experience" scheduled tasks which are on by default. You don't need a weekly/nightly check to make sure you haven't added a new graphics card or some bullshit.

-scheduled virus scans, etc.

-Flash Player. This was the number one culprit for me. Fortunately I have a laptop as well as a desktop atm, so I just set that up to handle monitoring my stream, but god drat does that bloated piece of CPU/Memory gobbling poo poo cause issues with hogging the CPU to no end.
Yeah, despite their best efforts, game developers haven't developed magic wands to just zap away those pesky bugs yet.

While I appreciate the effort, you've not said anything that hasn't already been tried, and Trials Fusion is the only game I have issues with on my PC. This game indisputably has issues.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

magimix posted:

While I appreciate the effort, you've not said anything that hasn't already been tried, and Trials Fusion is the only game I have issues with on my PC. This game indisputably has issues.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to handwave that or anything. Hell, I never knew those little notification things were such a hassle for games to deal with. Just suggesting what worked for me, since I was having the same issue (seemingly random performance drops/stabilizations for non-fixed periods of time). As I edited into my previous post, this got the game running at a solid 60FPS on my old rear end i5-750/GTX-670 based system at 1080p with the default "high" settings, fullscreen. I do have to turn it down a bit while streaming because encoding/sending the data eats up enough CPU to cause stuttering. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem like it'll help your issue.

I will say this: As much as a pain in the rear end as it was to get the game running stably on my PC, I have at least learned about all kinds of exciting and new ways Windows attempts to slow my PC to a crawl in the name of "improving" the Windows Experience. "Oh, you're playing a CPU/GPU intensive game? That seems like the perfect time to run all these CPU hogging processes!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just some acknowledgement that they're working on things would be nice. Even their official twitter has been nearly silent, which is a world away from the constant chatter of Trials Evo's launch. As it stands, you've got really weird (and big) issues like even high-end PCs taking 30+ seconds to load the garage screen, and the game crashing very regularly if you move through Track Central too quickly.

• Locked thread