Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

The Exec can't work the line, even if they want to? I theoretically could hire enough cooks to keep me off the line, but I want to be there, especially on the weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.

GigaFool posted:

The Exec can't work the line, even if they want to? I theoretically could hire enough cooks to keep me off the line, but I want to be there, especially on the weekends.

Pretty much if there's work available anywhere banquets or the restaurant(s), an hourly employee has to be scheduled first, or if there's a call off, an hourly employee has to be asked first.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

GigaFool posted:

It has to do with a salaried manager taking work away from an hourly union member.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Benefits... I don't even know what those are at this point. One day...

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Isaac Asimov posted:

Benefits... I don't even know what those are at this point. One day...

I get my own Restaurant Depot card, that's pretty sweet.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

EDIT: Actually, I rescind that statement. What can go eat a toilet of turds at a taco stand is huge parties that eat up 90% of your tables for half of your shift, reducing your sales to nothing can making the kitchen glare at you when you place in the absurdly specific orders. Then you get tipped 10% because they paid half on card, half on cash, and only tipped on the card amount.

Black August fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 12, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Black August posted:

EDIT: Actually, I rescind that statement. What can go eat a toilet of turds at a taco stand is huge parties that eat up 90% of your tables for half of your shift, reducing your sales to nothing can making the kitchen glare at you when you place in the absurdly specific orders. Then you get tipped 10% because they paid half on card, half on cash, and only tipped on the card amount.
Sounds like a lot of stress over, like, $20.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

No Wave posted:

Sounds like a lot of stress over, like, $20.

No, a lot of stress over $20 is $28 in tips after a 6 hour closing shift, and getting out to find every watering hole you like is closed because Massachusetts is a garbage shitfuck Puritan hellhole that needs to drown in its own smug urine already and let the ocean swallow it whole.

Somehow, of course, the family from Arizona with giant cowboy hats tipped better than anyone else tonight. And if I greet one more table with a smile and attempt to say my name and get cut off by an order spat at me in monotone, I'm going to just walk away and keep coming back to begin the greet until they learn to act like humans and not cavethugs.

I'm talking "Hi how are-" "BUD LIGHT"

Not even a "Hey I'm ready to order now, Bud Light"

loving Boston trash

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Black August posted:

why does a taco stand have servers?

most taco restaurants I know of don't even have servers. jeez.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
One of my favorite servers at my last job had a move for tables like that. He'd approach newly sat guesta and all they would say is, "Two orders of pork buns."

He would reply, "What, no hello?"

Guests can be capable of not interacting with service staff like humans - but the reverse is true as well. Part of the challenge of being a good server is knowing how to read tables and figure out the best way to interact. This will make everyone happier, and make you more money. Being angry and calling people trash is unproductive and not terribly mature.

(I loved working in Boston, personally.)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

infiniteguest posted:

One of my favorite servers at my last job had a move for tables like that. He'd approach newly sat guesta and all they would say is, "Two orders of pork buns."

He would reply, "What, no hello?"

Guests can be capable of not interacting with service staff like humans - but the reverse is true as well. Part of the challenge of being a good server is knowing how to read tables and figure out the best way to interact. This will make everyone happier, and make you more money. Being angry and calling people trash is unproductive and not terribly mature.

(I loved working in Boston, personally.)

I handled the table fine. The man's wife and son stared at him and openly said to him "What, not even a hello?" -- I picked up with them instead and got her a nice lemon chicken she loved and left the husband to stew in his own social ineptness while keeping them served and sped along. Apparently he had been extremely rude to the hostess AND another server before they even got to the table. The night ended great with the Arizona family who at least wanted to talk for a moment, with the good old "I hate the humid weather here" "Well WE hate the dry weather there!" exchange.

It just struck me sour since I can deal all day with people who cut me off with "I'm ready to order" and then ramble off what they want, but mumbling what you want and nothing else before I can even say hello gets me in an awkward loop of asking "What?" in confusion, since I have no idea what you're saying. And having lived in MA all my life, I will stand by the sentiment that Boston is trash and houses trashy people who only wish they were a real big city. :v:

I rant and sow salt here because I don't do it at work and keep a cool head. Which is probably why I ended up with 6 doubles last week and getting cut early from too much overtime. I should see a doctor soon, or get another pair of new shoes. Pretty sure my ankles shouldn't burn this much.

Black August fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 13, 2014

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Picked up a shift for a friend and served 14 guests over 8 hrs, on day 16 of working. Win some, lose some, invoice the difference.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I wanna come to where you work and comiserate. My club (in Boston) banned tipping the staff in the constitution, as well as whistling, dogs, cell phones and other electronic devices. At one point women had their own entrance but thankfully that nonsense is finally over.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Hey y'all FoH owns if you like drinking and cash. God bless quarterly budgets and expense accounts. MCC was a blast.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Vegetable Melange posted:

Hey y'all FoH owns if you like drinking and cash. God bless quarterly budgets and expense accounts. MCC was a blast.

Hahaha, I received some very funny incriminating photos from people this year, quite entertaining.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Hahaha, I received some very funny incriminating photos from people this year, quite entertaining.

Cat boobs! Seriously, tho, rematch was the vest party I missed all year.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

E: best.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I'm being formally offered a Sous Chef position tomorrow at the upscale retirement home I've been working at for nearly 3 years. The chef isn't sure, but he thinks/hopes that it'll be a salaried position. I'm currently hourly, making $21.30 and working 37.5 hours/week. Chef puts in 50-60 hours on a normal week and I'll probably be expected to put in around an average of 45, more when things are crazy.
Does anyone have any advice or experience on what kind of salary to ask for/expect? I'm hoping to get $48k with a bump to $52k after a 3 month probationary period. Any other advice I should hear about making the jump from cook to Sous?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, keep your hourly. Salary is death.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
It seems like it's the kind of place that maybe isn't a total shithole to its employees (since you're being paid a pretty decent wage already), but definitely get something in your contract in writing as to how overtime is handled. If your salary is based on a 45 hour week, yeah, you should expect to work a little more sometimes, poo poo happens, but "staying just a little late today" can pretty quickly turn into 60 hour weeks every week, and you need to get reimbursed for that (whether it's some kind of bonus pay structure, or banked for time off [and if it's that one, make sure that those hours are paid back within the next pay period or a timeframe that you decide is reasonable]).

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Rockzilla posted:

I'm being formally offered a Sous Chef position tomorrow at the upscale retirement home I've been working at for nearly 3 years. The chef isn't sure, but he thinks/hopes that it'll be a salaried position. I'm currently hourly, making $21.30 and working 37.5 hours/week. Chef puts in 50-60 hours on a normal week and I'll probably be expected to put in around an average of 45, more when things are crazy.
Does anyone have any advice or experience on what kind of salary to ask for/expect? I'm hoping to get $48k with a bump to $52k after a 3 month probationary period. Any other advice I should hear about making the jump from cook to Sous?

Just a note: $52K is roughly what you would be making on hourly with your current pay at 45 hours a week. Actually a little less - $21.30, at 45 hours a week, 52 weeks a year comes out to $52,611 (once you figure in overtime). In other words, that salary would be equivalent to a drop in your hourly wage once overtime is figured in. Either get a sweet overtime deal or keep your wage if you can.

I really hate "salary" as code for "we want you to work more, but we don't actually want to pay you more".

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Anyone have a good recording of a micros hotline printer I could use as a ring tone?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Oh god, why would you torture yourself like that?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

:catstare:

Oh man...I seen some poo poo.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I hear phantom service bar printer noises in my sleep at least 2x a week.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
gently caress man, it took me the better part of two years to forget that sound. Why would you do this to me?

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
Tomorrow was supposed to be my last day, but after Sunday's bullshit I just didn't show up the rest of the week. gently caress my old job so hard.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

The stuff of nightmares :suicide:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

oh hey you know I think th:smithicide:

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
I'm a serious lurker of this thread, but I'm pretty sure I am about to get a CDC job at a successful farm to table restaurant in Nyc and I'm making GBS threads my pants right now.final details to be worked out on Friday. Being a workhorse and not being a total rear end in a top hat might have finally paid off.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
So.. this week I got some random Mets/Yanks tickets, had some $400 wine, and might be able to work from home next week because my team is all going to be in Italy.

I'm not saying this to be a dick, but sometimes I just have to step back and realize how loving ridiculous the world is. Excel is loving easy to learn, and that's pretty much what I do all day (and talk about game of thrones).

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Time to start a kickstarter for alarm clocks using this sound.

If you hit snooze too many times, it will either scream "On the fly!" or play the sound of a tray worth of plates toppling to the floor.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
When I was a theatrical rigger a coworker made her ringtone the sound of a chain motor dumping it's chain i.e. "Heavy poo poo falling from height". It is a very distinct sound and builds as more chain slips from the bag.

We made her change it after about 2 days.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I want to make my ringtone the timer alarm sound from a Revent oven (dee-doo-deet, doo-dee-doot) but I can't find a recording of it anywhere.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Anyone have a good recording of a micros hotline printer I could use as a ring tone?

I do. PM me about it.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

cods posted:

I'm a serious lurker of this thread, but I'm pretty sure I am about to get a CDC job at a successful farm to table restaurant in Nyc and I'm making GBS threads my pants right now.final details to be worked out on Friday. Being a workhorse and not being a total rear end in a top hat might have finally paid off.

Good luck! My forum wife and I would love to come try after you get settled.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Is there an app for this?

I want a bartender to be able to send me electronic tickets from her phone to my phone in the kitchen. Like a POS + receipt system, but paperless. Or, the same phone to phone set up that can run to a standard ticket printer?

There might be other ways to do this, like through google docs, I don't really know.

EDIT: I'm looking through these: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=restaurant%20pos&c=apps

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 16, 2014

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

We're actually about to start trying out an ipad to POS printer system where I am. I'm actually curious to see how well it works.

Edit: Not sure why they're wasting money on ipads but whims of the masters and all that.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 16, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

cods posted:

You seemed like someone who had some rough patches but was a legit hard worker and wasn't a total whiner about it, so it's nice to see that my impression was correct. Good luck!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 16, 2014

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

L'chaim, cods. Get a place in ridge wood, hate the L train, and welcome home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Thanks, guys! Yeah, I got the official o.k. this morning and I sign a contract and start next week. Super excited! Where should I move in Brooklyn (?)if I'm going to the union square market at least four times a week, and working on the lower east side? I want as quick of a commute as possible. I live in bumfuck A train queens right now.

• Locked thread