Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I'll try to put together an account of my Expulsion from Eden.

Oh god that sucks man :smith:

Hope things turn out better for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in.

None of the users 5 network printers are working. They are all HP 2055's. They all dropped their network config at the same time.

I feel sorry for the onsite guy going there.

Resolution: Filled paper tray.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Low end anything is utter poo poo that costs more in support hours than the saving from being cheap. But printers are guaranteed poo poo at the lower end of the market.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
All of our Polycom phones suddenly started returning "400 Bad Request" at random, causing the calls to get shunted to voicemail right away, and only a firmware upgrade seemed to fix it. So I singlehandedly set up a new provisioning server and updated every single phone to the latest GA release of the firmware. This ordeal took about a solid week, and then the GA release has a benign bug that causes a double ringback to play when dialing out, so another update was needed to fix that. The entire time people were filing tickets, they were adding other problems they'd been keeping to themselves as fuckin riders or something. Apparently there are audio delays and also echo on "all calls", but just for one guy, and also on the VoIP provider where echo has never happened and can't really happen in the first place.

A cornucopia of phone problems! Each one different than the last!
The subject for almost every ticket? The thing that is supposed to give me a synopsis right away of the problem?

'Phone' :smithicide:

e: Also, a handy glossary of phone issue descriptions:

The phones are down = My phone isn't working
The phones are not working = Someone told me there was a problem with the phones, I didn't try mine though
The phones are terrible! = The ringback sound plays twice and I'm confused
This has been a problem for months now = I noticed this a couple days ago

Fortis fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 7, 2014

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
A ticket came in:

Hey you know that refurb conference phone you got as a replacement for an end of sales Cisco 7937G? It doesn't do bridging, which we didn't mention we needed. We also gave you a budget of zero which put any replacement Cisco devices entirely out of reach. Fix it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Che Delilas posted:

Just in case you are contemplating this, Laserface, don't. Since I assume you want to keep your new job.

I probably made it way, way to subtle, but I was joking.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Fortis posted:

VoIP Issues

- "The phone sounds funny" = I can't adjust to the fact that these phones use Wideband audio and sound amazing.
- "The phone beeps 4 times before ringing" = The phone beeps 4 times before ringing. (gently caress you, Lync certified phones, not being fast enough to negotiate codecs)
- "Voicemail doesn't work" = Exchange UM doesn't transcribe this voicemail from a guy with a stutter properly, and I can't be bothered to listen.
- "The phone sounds warbly" = OK they may have me on this one. I don't notice anything, but CoS is only enabled on our branch routers, and not our datacenter router. I'm fixing that.
- "This is too complicated" = I can't bother to learn new things/It's easier to not do any work and blame IT for the loss of productivity.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had a user complain that the phone would hang up on them halfway through dialling the number. Turns out they were just a really slow dialler unless it was a familiar number, and the dial tone would time out before they finished.

I told them they can punch the number in first and then lift the handset, but they complained it was too hard to do it that way. :what:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

I probably made it way, way to subtle, but I was joking.

I figured you probably were, and figured he was probably too smart to do something like that anyway, but there's always the off chance that someone is the exact combination of naive and eager to please that would result in them taking you seriously and ruining their careers. I wouldn't want that on your conscience.

I mean, I have to tell someone, "Don't let your boss piss into your mouth" at least once a month in these threads, and sometimes that doesn't even take. Just making sure. :shrug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Che Delilas posted:

I mean, I have to tell someone, "Don't let your boss piss into your mouth"

But it's refreshing and I enjoy the taste!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Volmarias posted:

But it's refreshing and I enjoy the taste!

And it cools me off when I'm DIGGING.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lord Dudeguy posted:

- "The phone beeps 4 times before ringing" = The phone beeps 4 times before ringing. (gently caress you, Lync certified phones, not being fast enough to negotiate codecs)

This might sound weird but check the handle count for the services on your edge server. We had this exact issue but we noticed it went away if we rebooted the edge, and on closer look when it happened the service would completely lock up if you tried to restart it and there was an obvious handle leak in the service executable. The only fix was to reboot the box entirely. We reported it to MS but they wouldn't look at it until we had everything patched, which we couldn't do due to issues with our combined 2010/2013 environment. It went away at some point but I'm not sure what the permanent fix was.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I tried to boil my situation down into something short of epic length and I can't. There's just too much to say, too much to explain. Even at its shortest it's still 1500 words, and that's leaving out some good stuff.

I've had three solid years here, stable systems, managed furious growth, controlled costs, but a string of brief and unrelated disruptions in March affected HQ's phone services leading the CEO to boil over onto my old boss, who instead of backing me up and assuring the CEO everything would be taken care of threw me under the bus. My new boss and the VP of HR jumped onboard that bus and before I even knew there was a problem they ambushed me in a three way meeting where I went from someone with three solid annual reviews, kudos (and a free $2000+ laptop) from the CEO to a terrible employee who does not demonstrate the proper sense of urgency, is not a team player and says "no" to everyone who asks me for something.

None of this is founded in reality. No examples or specifics were forthcoming. No schedule was set to follow up on this meeting to monitor my improvement. Just an hour of relentless bitching and threats while I slowly shrank into my shell. I don't think I was allowed to finish even one sentence. They didn't want me to defend myself. We were not on the same side. They just wanted me to sit there and take it, and then slink away. It felt like one of the awful "family meetings" from my childhood.

Since I'm already one of the hardest working and committed employees in the company I've been at a loss to figure out what I can do to save my job. They won't tell me what they want to see from me. I've been busting my rear end, putting in lots of hours, drowning the staff with a tidal wave of customer service. After two weeks I had to swallow my pride and ask them for feedback because they clearly weren't interested in providing it to me on their own initiative. The HR VP said she'd had little feedback but it was positive. My new boss had no feedback. My old boss flat out refused to discuss it, putting it off until some unknown point in the future.

It's madness. It violates everything I've learned about managing staff. No setting of expectations, no timely constructive feedback. They simply jumped right to their idea of corrective action, but it's a malformed attempt with no specifics, no goal setting and no timeline for followup. It's complete horseshit and it's driving me out of what was the first decent paying job I've had in ten years. At my age I'm not likely to see another paycheck like this again, so unlike the Tony job I want to stay. Leaving there was a relief. Getting fired from here will be a huge letdown. Most of my working career has been spent struggling under bad bosses and its worn me down to a nub.

I know I have flaws but I'm not the person they say I am. And no one wants to talk about that. They'd rather throw me away.

EDIT: Goddammit this is still too long and makes me sound like a colossal whiner.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Antioch posted:

I want you all to know that Cloud to Butt makes this conversation the most amazing thing ever.

I was happy to find an Opera extension for this, but it doesn't work with the newer versions.
Then I found that Chrome extensions work in Opera, but it only seems to work on these forums sometimes not always.

Anyone found a reliable way to get Cloud --> Butt working in Opera. I don't think I can switch to Chrome as my regular browser.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: Goddammit this is still too long and makes me sound like a colossal whiner.

Not really, more like colossally unlucky. You're right that it's lovely management, competent managers know that people don't just magically become poo poo overnight. If their performance was excellent but has dropped it's far safer - and less work - to figure out the problem and resolve it than it is to get rid of them and try to find a good replacement. Screaming at them and doing nothing else is guaranteed to just make the problem worse. I'd like to think I'd come out fighting in that situation but honestly I'd probably react the same out of pure shock, I'm stunned that anyone can actually think ambushing your staff like that is ever a good idea.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Dick Trauma posted:

We've seen from whence you came, and this doesn't sound like whining; it sounds like a really, really crappy situation that should be an example in management training for "how to lose your best employee and screw your company." The lack of identifying metrics or specificity in areas that were problematic are particularly distressing, at least to me.

I'm blown away that it turned into such a poo poo-pile so quickly.
(I also can't believe it's been three years already)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have always gotten the idea from your posts that you interact well with the CEO. I realize you are most likely still in shock and hiding in your shell, but let me offer a single piece of advice. If you really like this job and have portrayed what happened fairly to both sides, go to the CEO. Skip the bullshit that his underlings have created and go to him. Present your side and let me make his own decisions. Maybe your new boss has done something else similar to another employee and he will see a pattern. What's the worst thing that could happen? You get fired?

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

If anything you sound depressed. You've put all this effort into your work and it's the company that's unworthy, not you. They're loving themselves by making GBS threads on a star employee.

Brush up your resume, try to get an extra reference or two if you can, and start looking. You deserve better than this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

the spyder posted:

I have always gotten the idea from your posts that you interact well with the CEO. I realize you are most likely still in shock and hiding in your shell, but let me offer a single piece of advice. If you really like this job and have portrayed what happened fairly to both sides, go to the CEO. Skip the bullshit that his underlings have created and go to him. Present your side and let me make his own decisions. Maybe your new boss has done something else similar to another employee and he will see a pattern. What's the worst thing that could happen? You get fired?

I did get along with the CEO and thought that would be my ace in the hole...

...but I was accidentally copied in on an email from him to my bosses that said he wasn't convinced I was the right person for the job, needed to be watched closely for failure to improve, and replaced swiftly if that's the case.

Three freaking years of good work and he's not convinced I'm the right person for the job. It was a really bad day when I read that email and realized I had zero support. That's when my bosses should've jumped in and backed me up. I don't know what they said because they didn't copy me in on the reply but with their behavior I can't imagine it was anything other than more spineless agreement.

I left alot out of my summary. :shobon:

There's a terribly cliquey environment here. If you worked at the CEO's old company you're on the inside. They keep hiring people from that company and they get such a nice welcome and they all spend time visiting with each other. They put their old ID badges on their desk as a sort of mark of honor. I think the CEO treats everyone else with distrust so it was easy for me to transition from "his guy" to "not his guy."

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 8, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not to distract from Dick Trama, but here's my fun for the week. Sorry it's not quite IT related, but I just want to grab some :popcorn: and watch what happens over the next several weeks. A few of our staff were at a conference recently and apparently the CTO got drunk enough to assault one of his direct reports. What makes it :psyduck: is that the HR lady was asked by the CEO to pull the complaint from the official records. She is now threatening to quit and the emp has lawyered up. What sucks is the guy that was assaulted is the nicest guy in the world. I'm guessing if this got out, the company who's interested in us will run away. :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

...but I was accidentally copied in on an email from him to my bosses that said he wasn't convinced I was the right person for the job, needed to be watched closely for failure to improve, and replaced swiftly if that's the case.

Three freaking years of good work and he's not convinced I'm the right person for the job. It was a really bad day when I read that email and realized I had zero support. That's when my bosses should've jumped in and backed me up. I don't know what they said because they didn't copy me in on the reply but with their behavior I can't imagine it was anything other than more spineless agreement.

There's a terribly cliquey environment here. If you worked at the CEO's old company you're on the inside. They keep hiring people from that company and they get such a nice welcome and they all spend time visiting with each other. They put their old ID badges on their desk as a sort of mark of honor. I think the CEO treats everyone else with distrust so it was easy for me to transition from "his guy" to "not his guy."

drat it. Well it was a good run sir. You definitely seemed to enjoy yourself while you where there. What's the plan? The best thing you can do is start moving forward now. Don't let it drag you down and IMO, stop telling yourself you won't find anything better. You simply don't know that. Best of luck. I have a feeling I shall be following shortly in the job search with how screwed the management is at my company.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Offer up scapegoat, effectively end any chance at advancement in the company ever again, passive-aggressively make life hell until they quit? Sounds like Management 101 to me.

In all likelyhood this has been a toxic environment from the very start but you've been spared it and had some blinders on because it wasn't the last place. Unfortunately your comments about the 'old company clique' say pretty much all that needs to be said. Companies like that promote backstabbing to survive and welp, you got stabbed.

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 8, 2014

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

One of the new people to the team that I'm tasked with helping out got assigned a case......

.......by someone who shouldn't be assigning cases, nonetheless his own cases that he should be working on.....

.......one month ago, when it was supposed to be put in to production, which it never was because this guy never did any work on it, turns out the client finally noticed that we did not do that thing we told them we would do at all.

This was also a case that the guy got in trouble with our team lead for for convincing the person who assigns cases to assign it to someone else.

Oops

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 8, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

the spyder posted:

Not to distract from Dick Trama, but here's my fun for the week. Sorry it's not quite IT related, but I just want to grab some :popcorn: and watch what happens over the next several weeks. A few of our staff were at a conference recently and apparently the CTO got drunk enough to assault one of his direct reports. What makes it :psyduck: is that the HR lady was asked by the CEO to pull the complaint from the official records. She is now threatening to quit and the emp has lawyered up. What sucks is the guy that was assaulted is the nicest guy in the world. I'm guessing if this got out, the company who's interested in us will run away. :(

This is horrendous and helps remind me that things could be worse.

When I supervised at a call center I experienced all sorts of terrible behavior from both management and staff. I was eating lunch and one of my agents approached me and showed me red marks on his neck because one of the other agents had choked him while they were in the bathroom. I'd worked as a police dispatcher so I took this quite seriously. I brought him to another floor of the building where he wouldn't have to run into the suspect and let him call the cops while I went and got someone from HR. They took over and I informed our project manager about the attack. His concern: he didn't want cops on the call center floor.

Of course the cops came straight to our floor because it was the goddamned scene of the crime and when they called my project manager over to talk to him as he passed by he hissed "I told you I didn't want the loving cops here!" as if I had anything to do with it.

He tried to fire me for it but HR told him it was already a big enough mess so I got a pass.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I would have told the cops that this guy was trying to hide the crime.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Scikar posted:

This might sound weird but check the handle count for the services on your edge server. We had this exact issue but we noticed it went away if we rebooted the edge, and on closer look when it happened the service would completely lock up if you tried to restart it and there was an obvious handle leak in the service executable. The only fix was to reboot the box entirely. We reported it to MS but they wouldn't look at it until we had everything patched, which we couldn't do due to issues with our combined 2010/2013 environment. It went away at some point but I'm not sure what the permanent fix was.

Oh my god...

The team was mentioning that during an edge outage the phones were dialing great. I didn't believe them.

I'll try bouncing the edge tomorrow. Why in the hell would it do that? I have federation disabled.

:edit: 6,100 handles for System process. Restarted Lync services and it dropped to 5,100 handles. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 8, 2014

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

You took it much better than I would have. If I get cut off mid-sentence more than once I get pretty angry.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Since I'm already one of the hardest working and committed employees in the company I've been at a loss to figure out what I can do to save my job. They won't tell me what they want to see from me. I've been busting my rear end, putting in lots of hours, drowning the staff with a tidal wave of customer service. After two weeks I had to swallow my pride and ask them for feedback because they clearly weren't interested in providing it to me on their own initiative. The HR VP said she'd had little feedback but it was positive. My new boss had no feedback. My old boss flat out refused to discuss it, putting it off until some unknown point in the future.

Don't save it, jettison it like the turd it is. You're being set up for failure and any attempts to save that job is going to be digging a hole. Try to get some references from there, clean up the resume, and make finding a new place your number one job.

And I don't know if it is the healthiest attitude but when I've been in situations where I'm being set up to fail or in an impossible situation I just take it as a sort of freedom. If I can't win then it means I don't have to try to win and instead can just say gently caress it. Not sure if that's the sort of viewpoint that will help but it seems healthier than digging a hole trying to save a job that is actively turning on you.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

jim truds posted:

I just take it as a sort of freedom. If I can't win then it means I don't have to try to win and instead can just say gently caress it.

And revel in the fact that when you leave it will all come crashing down.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

jim truds posted:

Don't save it, jettison it like the turd it is. You're being set up for failure and any attempts to save that job is going to be digging a hole. Try to get some references from there, clean up the resume, and make finding a new place your number one job.

And I don't know if it is the healthiest attitude but when I've been in situations where I'm being set up to fail or in an impossible situation I just take it as a sort of freedom. If I can't win then it means I don't have to try to win and instead can just say gently caress it. Not sure if that's the sort of viewpoint that will help but it seems healthier than digging a hole trying to save a job that is actively turning on you.

Exactly. If you're being set up for failure they will succeed, so there's a 100% chance you will eventually not be working there. As long as you don't burn the place down (dban DC's and whatnot) you p. much have license to go buck wild.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Lareous posted:

And revel in the fact that when you leave it will all come crashing down.

They will be fine. I've put good systems in place, good documentation, strong vendors.

As for jettisoning this job... after I left my I.T. Director position when I had my post-cancer meltdown it took me seven years to get back to that salary, and this was the job that did it. I'm very concerned that this was a fluke and it's all downhill from here. That's why I'm loathe to just throw my hands in the air. Yes I know that with this sort of management I'm on the thinnest of ice, but if these idiots get distracted by something else it might be another three years before they even notice again that I'm there.

My track record of work performance is great. My track record of bad bosses and being underemployed is terrible. I don't have the experiences that make me feel there are good things out there for me so I hope you can understand my desire to hang onto this thing as long as possible.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

I hope you can understand my desire to hang onto this thing as long as possible.

Think whatever you want to think about your current job but for goodness sake look at what's out there and keep looking. It might not be as bad as you think, and with how they've been treating you you will probably come in one day and they'll have your belongings in a box with the receptionist and that will be that, completely out of the blue.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You're in the best position possible to be job searching. Imagine how much harder this would be while unemployed.

I'd be willing to guess that they already want to replace you but they haven't figured out all the details yet.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma posted:

As for jettisoning this job... after I left my I.T. Director position when I had my post-cancer meltdown it took me seven years to get back to that salary, and this was the job that did it. I'm very concerned that this was a fluke and it's all downhill from here. That's why I'm loathe to just throw my hands in the air. Yes I know that with this sort of management I'm on the thinnest of ice, but if these idiots get distracted by something else it might be another three years before they even notice again that I'm there.

This is going to sound harsh, but maybe you just need to have the patience and savings to support taking longer to look for a new job? Unless you're expecting something fairly extravagant like $200k plus bonus for a director level position, talk to those recruiters that are always calling and tell them you want something for at least $120k base plus benefits and you'll get it no problem if you stick to your guns. If you're complaining about $120k, deal with it.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Treat this as an opportunity, and be very selective about who you interview with. At your age DT you have a great deal of supervisory experience and a proven track record of delivering results. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of companies looking for that mix. If anyone asks, tell them you're looking for the next big challenge because you've done pretty much all you can at current job. Definitely don't let the person with the axe sneak up behind you, since at this point it's pretty much a certainty that the company figures you are no longer of value. They are only looking at the here-and-now, and no matter what you do your fate has pretty much been sealed by these assclowns.

The important thing to take away from all this is gently caress everyone else. You look out for yourself and, if you're feeling magnanimous, a few promising minions. Everyone else can go to hell. Karma has a way of rewarding the douche nozzles.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

They will be fine. I've put good systems in place, good documentation, strong vendors.

My track record of work performance is great. My track record of bad bosses and being underemployed is terrible. I don't have the experiences that make me feel there are good things out there for me so I hope you can understand my desire to hang onto this thing as long as possible.

I hate to say it, but they have your number and want you gone, they are just waiting for the right moment to do it. Might not be tomorrow, or even next week, but its happening really soon, and it will be when they feel the knife can sink the farthest.
Starting now, prepare the resume and start looking. Think how much easier it will be to apply for things while you are still earning money, compared to how it looks when you aren't at a job. Hell, if you have a good relationship with a vendor, give them a call and see if they are hiring. We've had a few people leave our company to work for the company that provides us our core applications, and that was just from talking to them on the phone. Then, find out if you can leave an upper decker in the closest toilet they will use.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You're not keeping that job I hope you understand this.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
If you know they want you out,find a new gig and quit before they fire you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When I saw that email from the CEO I knew I was done for. That afternoon I took a quick pass through my resume and reactivated it at Dice and Monster to get the ball rolling. I know there's no long term potential here but it's hard to accept. This is the kind of industry that hangs on to people, like the way Tony had been at the last place for seven years. I thought I was building something here, and I've been long overdue to find a place like that.

I'm very disappointed to be treated this way and to have to give up what I'd hoped for. I've had it stuck to me so many times now over the span of decades I can't feel anything positive about this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If nothing else, at least you see it coming.

• Locked thread