Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you're in NG you're way underleveled for that soul memory amount. Going by http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Stats the required minimum to get to 144 is 1,403,093 souls (or thereabouts). You should be a good 40/50 levels higher with that number.

SL 150, 2.4 million. Quite a few bits of equipment upgraded and several are at +10 lightning infused. Am I still underleveled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
My friends were like, "You don't need summons for the Old Iron King," but I was like, "Whatever."

Also, now that I can buy shards and play around with equipment, I'm enjoying the game a thousand times more.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Any way to increase casting speed besides the ring and throwing points at the magykk stats?

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you're in NG you're way underleveled for that soul memory amount. Going by http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Stats the required minimum to get to 144 is 1,403,093 souls (or thereabouts). You should be a good 40/50 levels higher with that number.

I knew something was hosed up. The last time I checked it was about 1.2m. Is this a known thing that can happen in PVP? I haven't even done that much of it.

I can fix this with a save editor, right? Anyone know how?

Artificer posted:

SL 150, 2.4 million. Quite a few bits of equipment upgraded and several are at +10 lightning infused. Am I still underleveled?

OK on the other hand I did just burn a bunch of soul items to buy stones to get gear upgrades. I've max upgraded one shield, one armor set, 1.7 regular weapons and 2 boss weapons. 3 million still seems like a ton though.

Orgone Accumulator fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 8, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

zfleeman posted:

My friends were like, "You don't need summons for the Old Iron King," but I was like, "Whatever."

Also, now that I can buy shards and play around with equipment, I'm enjoying the game a thousand times more.

I don't "need" summons either but it's good business for everyone involved. Apparently if you are sunbro and summon sunbros you get 2 sun medals for beating the boss :dance:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

net cafe scandal posted:

Any way to increase casting speed besides the ring and throwing points at the magykk stats?
There are armor pieces that buff it, like the Lion Mage set, but the ring is really the best.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone been summoned by the Looking-Glass Knight? What's the best way to do that?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tetracube posted:

Anyone been summoned by the Looking-Glass Knight? What's the best way to do that?

I have. It is loads of fun. Drop your red sign soapstone in the hallway leading up to the fight. The one with all the horse soldier statues. Rinse, repeat every 10 seconds or so. You'll get summoned with a bit of time.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Put your red soapstone down in the hallway before the boss fog and hope you don't get summoned by some trio farming people trying to get summoned into the boss fight. You can also use cracked red eye orbs but those have the same problem and are limited.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Orgone Accumulator posted:

I knew something was hosed up. The last time I checked it was about 1.2m. Is this a known thing that can happen in PVP? I haven't even done that much of it.

I can fix this with a save editor, right? Anyone know how?

If you've killed some invading jerks they can dump up to 800k souls on you if they were max level.

You can fix it with cheat engine or something like that but who knows if VAC will ban you for it. There's no save game editors so you'd have to memory edit. If you're going to attempt put Steam in offline mode and try then.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Artificer posted:

What's the recommended infusion for an Avelyn for PvPing against other assholes? Just one, I don't want to give up my funhaver card. :v:

Powerstance Avelyn is really strong but it's pretty far from the cheesy autowin build people claim it is. Firing two Avelyns will cost you like 100 stamina, they have terrible tracking, and you can't roll cancel the reload. Against someone who knows what they're doing they'll roll directly towards you and stab you in your stupid face while you stand there reloading like an idiot.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Domattee posted:

Pretty sure each weapons different infusion branches have their damage values all hardcoded separately somewhere and they forgot to adjust them all during balancing.

It's just one or two numbers. No really. They throw a percentage at it, some generic math gets done that's more or less the same for every infusion of type X, that's it. Same for + reinforcement. Makes sense really, but sometimes there are some weird results.

Like, the max reinforcement is just some number. All it really means is "how many upgrades do you need to get max power?" If I were to set, say, a +5 weapon's maximum reinforcement to 10, the power of its +5 version is reduced.

It's not like Dark Souls 1 where every infusion branch had its own base item sitting somewhere.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 8, 2014

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Doing a dual caestus run really made me realize how much of a crutch a shield was for me. Running head first into everything and punching the poo poo out of it while dodging frantically works better than a mace and a 100 dmg reduction shield.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm making a guy who's just gonna go straight to Belfry Luna and do low SM pvp in NG, what weapon should I use that will help me git gud fast? I mostly just want to practice timing on parry/actually getting the shield break attack to go off, etc.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Kanos posted:

Powerstance Avelyn is really strong but it's pretty far from the cheesy autowin build people claim it is. Firing two Avelyns will cost you like 100 stamina, they have terrible tracking, and you can't roll cancel the reload. Against someone who knows what they're doing they'll roll directly towards you and stab you in your stupid face while you stand there reloading like an idiot.

I just need something quick to finish off people running away to estus, that's all. Lightning Spear is nice and all but it certainly isn't fast.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Regarding 5 Giant Souls for Vendrick, a wiki says this: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Soul+of+a+Giant#.U2sEqPldXLg

"If the player has accidentally used all of their Souls' of A Giant, or they simply require more to defeat Vendrick, the two Giants in Black Gulch can be farmed for subsequent Souls' of A Giant with the use of a Bonfire Ascetic on the Black Gulch Mouth bonfire. This method can also be used to obtain an infinite number of them, should the player desire to do so Does not work after Patch 1.04."

Note the last part. Can anyone confirm that ascetic'ing Gulch works to get a 2nd Soul of a Giant from those giants, in the current PC version?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The pc version has different patch numbers. This was meant for console.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Artificer posted:

I just need something quick to finish off people running away to estus, that's all. Lightning Spear is nice and all but it certainly isn't fast.

This is what I use Avelyn for. It's great for catching people off guard, it's great as a finisher, it's really not a be all end all PvP winner supreme though.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I don't know about patch numbers, but I used an ascetic, didn't get a soul when I killed them again, so had to go kill the dragon for my fifth one.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are there any good enemy drops early on, à la Balder Side Sword? I'd like to use my Rusted Coins for something.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Watchdragon Parma +10 continues to be my baby. I can't really find a replacement for it. Thank goodness I really like its design too.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Tetracube posted:

Wow I didn't know that boss summoned players. :psyduck:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Davoren posted:

I don't know about patch numbers, but I used an ascetic, didn't get a soul when I killed them again, so had to go kill the dragon for my fifth one.

Did you ascetic the first or second bonfire in gulch?

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW
These lighting mods look incredible...

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

pmchem posted:

Did you ascetic the first or second bonfire in gulch?

Second, the one right next to where you drop down to get to them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

YOSPOS King posted:

Trust me when I say they aren't. They're incapable of automatically determining where you are in the game meaning that their 'lighting modifications' (read: oversaturation and DoF) are on in areas that have no intention of being "the original lighting" like people cried about. This means that places that are relatively well lit comparatively (IK, Copse, FoFG) end up as murky shitholes that look awful. In their perfect world you don't have enough torches to complete the game.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Davoren posted:

Second, the one right next to where you drop down to get to them.

Wrong bonfire, they're attached to the first bonfire for whatever reason.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

gently caress gankers. Gonna join the Dragonbros when I can.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If anyone wants to watch me be completely fuckuseless at this game, feel free

http://www.twitch.tv/ciaphas02
nevermind turns out I am fuckuseless at OBS :saddowns:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 8, 2014

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Artificer posted:

gently caress gankers. Gonna join the Dragonbros when I can.

It's the best pvp until you get sick of Iron Keep, as far as I can tell. You don't get bloated on souls, either.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

YOSPOS King posted:

You don't really need 'em- the game looks fantastic with Durante's DSFix for this game (GeDoSaTo):

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
The game looks great without any mods if I do say so myself.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Confirming ascetic'ing black gulch bonfire #1 worked, I now have 5 souls of a giant without killing ancient dragon. Just now on PC.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Wow, I thought Ancient Dragon was bad. Vendrick somehow manages to eclipse it.

Giant blob of health with no interesting or otherwise fun mechanics at all. Great bosses.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I thought Vendrick was easier personally

I had to wear anti-fire gear just to survive a single breathe attack and that was full health only.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Schwack posted:

Wow, I thought Ancient Dragon was bad. Vendrick somehow manages to eclipse it.

Giant blob of health with no interesting or otherwise fun mechanics at all. Great bosses.

Vendrick is vastly, vastly easier and faster if tactics discussed above are used.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How many souls do you get if you kill a host as an invader via cracked red-eye orb? I think I killed a hacker and its hosed this character's SM for NG :(.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

pmchem posted:

Note the last part. Can anyone confirm that ascetic'ing Gulch works to get a 2nd Soul of a Giant from those giants, in the current PC version?

I can confirm it worked for me 4 days ago. Killed them a 2nd time before the ascetic and got nothing. Killed them after popping one at the 2nd bonfire and got my 5th Giant soul.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Vendrick is vastly, vastly easier and faster if tactics discussed above are used.

Oh, no question he was easier. He's also a lazily designed mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

How many souls do you get if you kill a host as an invader via cracked red-eye orb? I think I killed a hacker and its hosed this character's SM for NG :(.

25% of their next level cost.