Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Soylentbits posted:

The earth elemental is going to be a teenage girl.

I'm actually afraid of this happening.
That goddamn elemental better be some sort of craggy rock monster or I'll be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Whether it's a craggy rock monster or a young girl, I'm sure it's going to be something he doesn't expect. I mean, the MC imagines everything like a generic fantasy game, but that doesn't mean the world actually works that way. When he learns magic from some other source is when it's most likely to deviate. I doubt it'll be a tank like he expects, at least until he starts tweaking it.

For some reason I'm imagining a non-corporeal spirit.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
No see it'll be a tiny 6 inch level 1 baby pebble Golem, that he has to raise, then he'll find a book on raising familiars off the auction and realize that depending in what he feeds the little guy it'll become either a) a massive rock monster and the best tank ever or b) a teenage girl. Then he makes a choice. Also he'll have to grind money because it'll need to eat diamonds or something expansive to boost it's Vit. Korean MMO are a pain

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

No see it'll be a tiny 6 inch level 1 baby pebble Golem, that he has to raise, then he'll find a book on raising familiars off the auction and realize that depending in what he feeds the little guy it'll become either a) a massive rock monster and the best tank ever or b) a teenage girl. Then he makes a choice. Also he'll have to grind money because it'll need to eat diamonds or something expansive to boost it's Vit. Korean MMO are a pain

Could be worse, could be EV training

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It'll be a giant earth monster with the personality of a teenage girl. Who is also tsundere.

"I-I'm not tanking for you because I like you, baka!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I hope he goes and saves that slave magician girl. :( Don't let her be sold off into slavery! That's so sad!!

Well, I guess if he doesn't save her we can always count on Liam Neeson.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

His earth elemental summon is obviously going to be:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Doubleposting for Chapter 36

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
"Oh man I got an awesome ability that I can't wait to use!"
"Next chapter!"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well there goes the library plan.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm actually getting really loving annoyed with Jee Han's inability to put his points in something other than INT at this point. I can see avoiding stats totally out of a magic character's wheelhouse but he doesn't think WIS is going to be useful to his build? I thought he was supposed to be good at this poo poo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm actually getting really loving annoyed with Jee Han's inability to put his points in something other than INT at this point. I can see avoiding stats totally out of a magic character's wheelhouse but he doesn't think WIS is going to be useful to his build? I thought he was supposed to be good at this poo poo.

The best builds get the absolute minimum you need for all your skills and equipment and pump the rest into your primary stat. Since he's unsure what he'll need in terms of wisdom or dex, he's afraid to put any points into them. Play more brutally unforgiving Korean [=MMOs=] and either ruin a bunch of characters and/or just look up good builds online. Since he has no precedent he's basically doomed to create a bad build. He expressed this fear fairly early on.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Clarste posted:

The best builds get the absolute minimum you need for all your skills and equipment and pump the rest into your primary stat. Since he's unsure what he'll need in terms of wisdom or dex, he's afraid to put any points into them. Play more brutally unforgiving Korean [=MMOs=] and either ruin a bunch of characters and/or just look up good builds online. Since he has no precedent he's basically doomed to create a bad build. He expressed this fear fairly early on.
The thing is that he doesn't seem to have accepted the fact that he's doomed to a bad build. Look man, maybe you won't have an optimized 255int/1wis build like all the cool people with the gamer ability, but as long as you have no clue what you're doing (AND the stats have real world effects, so he gets real world wisdom) he might as well pump some numbers in that secondary stat to see what goes.

EDIT: I guess in general, I don't understand why he hasn't put more stat points in wisdom, but that's probably because I'm thinking of this "game" as more Planescape: Torment and less a Korean MMO. You want the wisdom points for extra dialogue options and ways to progress the story, not to focus entirely on a battle build.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 8, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Twiddy posted:

EDIT: I guess in general, I don't understand why he hasn't put more stat points in wisdom, but that's probably because I'm thinking of this "game" as more Planescape: Torment and less a Korean MMO. You want the wisdom points for extra dialogue options and ways to progress the story, not to focus entirely on a battle build.

Wisdom is probably like magic accuracy or MP regen or something. Something that's kinda like int but not quite.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The way I see it, he hasn't yet realized that he's not in an actual MMO. If he was, he'd be competing with dozens of other players and be forced into ridiculous specialization to keep up. He's doing that still because he's used to it, but I imagine he'll eventually realize that in real life it's way better to be well rounded.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The way I see it, he hasn't yet realized that he's not in an actual MMO. If he was, he'd be competing with dozens of other players and be forced into ridiculous specialization to keep up. He's doing that still because he's used to it, but I imagine he'll eventually realize that in real life it's way better to be well rounded.

His friend already told him that, but he hasn't internalized it. What he tried to do in response was come up with more spells to replicate the effects of being more agile or sturdy. He's also still hoping to learn teleportation from sunglasses.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Clarste posted:

Wisdom is probably like magic accuracy or MP regen or something. Something that's kinda like int but not quite.
Yes, this is kind of my point. He's focusing on the mechanical side of the wisdom (magic accuracy/MP regen) rather than what Wisdom is and can actually do for him in terms of being a character. In Planescape: Torment, you want high mind related stats because they gave you extra dialogue options that allowed you to cut to the heart of matters, see what's actually going on, and make good decisions. I assume that having real life wisdom would give you the same thing (except instead of having extra dialogue options, you as a person would just be seeing things in a clearer light and knowing what the correct thing to do is). Overall, the reason those stats are so good in Planescape: Torment is not just because of the way the game is coded, but because it actually mirrors real life in a more functional way. If you're smarter and wiser, you will do smarter things and have wiser insights, which leads to picking the better option.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
The advantages Wisdom will confer are nebulous at best. In a worst case scenario, he'll put some points into wisdom and he'll suddenly gain the insight, "gently caress, it would have been better to not increase my wisdom until I needed it." Of course, it could be that pumping up wisdom will give him the ability to rethink all of his accumulated observations about his MMO skill, which may lead to further insights about how he should allocate stat points and such. But the point is, he won't know until he does it, and that uncertainty is what's preventing him from doing it. The stakes are high, and if loving up an optimal build could lead to your death, spending stat points wisely means waiting until you have a clear idea of what you're doing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The logic jump from Earth Elemental to "I can summon -any- elemental!" was really drat cool and I can't wait to see when and how he starts doing it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The real reason is that he's afraid if he puts too many points into Wisdom he'll turn into a wizened old man.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

pnumoman posted:

The advantages Wisdom will confer are nebulous at best. In a worst case scenario, he'll put some points into wisdom and he'll suddenly gain the insight, "gently caress, it would have been better to not increase my wisdom until I needed it." Of course, it could be that pumping up wisdom will give him the ability to rethink all of his accumulated observations about his MMO skill, which may lead to further insights about how he should allocate stat points and such. But the point is, he won't know until he does it, and that uncertainty is what's preventing him from doing it. The stakes are high, and if loving up an optimal build could lead to your death, spending stat points wisely means waiting until you have a clear idea of what you're doing.
The advantages to anything he does are nebulous at best. Uncertainty is the only real thing we're dealing with in this scenario. He doesn't know the end result of any of his stats, he has no clue what an optimal build looks like in this game. What he needs is information, and the primary tools for getting information are wisdom and knowledge. He's essentially sacrificing the ability to understand what he needs to do so that maybe he can accidentally crap into a somewhat optimal build? That sounds like an even dumber risk.

The essential misunderstanding that he and other people seem to be having is that when you're playing a game, your intelligence and wisdom and decision making skills and knowledge are completely independent of the stats of your character. That is not true here.

He's not completely screwed because has been working on his intelligence, but some wisdom would help him see most of the details people in the thread have pointed out (hey is there an options menu?)

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 8, 2014

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Twiddy posted:

The advantages to anything he does are nebulous at best. Uncertainty is the only real thing we're dealing with in this scenario. He doesn't know the end result of any of his stats, he has no clue what an optimal build looks like in this game. What he needs is information, and the primary tools for getting information are wisdom and knowledge. He's essentially sacrificing the ability to understand what he needs to do so that maybe he can accidentally crap into a somewhat optimal build? That sounds like an even dumber risk.

The essential misunderstanding that he and other people seem to be having is that when you're playing a game, your intelligence and wisdom and decision making skills and knowledge are completely independent of the stats of your character. That is not true here.

No, the primary tools for getting information are intellect and knowledge. The definition of wisdom is incredibly nebulous; depending on what game you use, it's anything from simple mana regeneration, closeness to the divine, or the ability to make better decisions. Every other stat has immediate benefits, while the best anyone can say for wisdom is that it allows you to make better choices, or have better insight into things. And even if this is exactly what would happen, he doesn't gain any additional knowledge by pumping wisdom. What he needs right now is more knowledge; he needs to buy and read more books, gain more skills, and level up those skills, not gain a better insight into his life.

The real truth of the matter, though, is that he should really look at the help files for stat points.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
There's also the case that he's not competing with people who can see all the numbers. They can't really sit down and sperg out about builds they could be using, they just practice skills that they can use mostly effectively.

Plus, in the real world minmaxing doesn't work anywhere near as well as in a game. Someone who can shoot fire but in doing so loses their ability to stand up in a stiff breeze probably won't last long.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Twiddy posted:

(hey is there an options menu?)

Yes. It was the reason why his life was hell at first.

Still disappointed he hasn't messed with it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

pnumoman posted:

What he needs right now is more knowledge; he needs to buy and read more books, gain more skills, and level up those skills, not gain a better insight into his life.

I agree completely - which is why he needs to experiment and research his ability as much as possible. And that means putting at least a point, maybe even a few, into every stat. Especially ones that don't have clear effects. For that reason, if nothing else, should put at least a point into Wisdom. Or find an item or spell that'll temporarily raise it, at least.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

pnumoman posted:

No, the primary tools for getting information are intellect and knowledge. The definition of wisdom is incredibly nebulous; depending on what game you use, it's anything from simple mana regeneration, closeness to the divine, or the ability to make better decisions.
The game I am using is real life, and the definition of wisdom is the ability to make wise decisions (the ability to have good judgment, aka make better choices).

quote:

Every other stat has immediate benefits, while the best anyone can say for wisdom is that it allows you to make better choices, or have better insight into things.
Man all it can do is allow you to make better choices, that sounds completely useless. I'd never want to make better choices in a game.

Again, the stats are actually related to him (this has been shown), not just a modifier for his statistical abilities. You keep talking about immediate benefits, but how does he even know he's grinding the right way? Maybe he's not even on the correct path. I don't think you're seeing that what you choose to do and how you choose to go about it in real life is based on decisions. A game can't quite capture that affect in real life accurately, but we're dealing with magic, so it's very possible.

EDIT: vv I think the people who understand why wisdom is important just have higher wisdom.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 8, 2014

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think the biggest hurdle he's going to have to overcome is not treating his ability like it's a 1:1 comparison to video games. Right now he's been caught with a distribution of stats that make him competent against creatures found within the illusion barriers, but he can't afford to min-max against real life opponents because their experience and power outweigh any of his. Instead of trying to optimize his build he needs to realize that he's not playing a game with set system limitations that he can be aware of. Min-maxing only works if there are limits to how a gamesystem works and how skills/stats/abilities relate to exp gain and damage or defensive outputs. He should be going for a more spread out stat distribution and focus on developing his melee skills alongside his magic ones.

XboxPants posted:

I agree completely - which is why he needs to experiment and research his ability as much as possible. And that means putting at least a point, maybe even a few, into every stat. Especially ones that don't have clear effects. For that reason, if nothing else, should put at least a point into Wisdom. Or find an item or spell that'll temporarily raise it, at least.

This, he seems to be in a unique position because his ability literally spells out how some of it's functions for him if he can find items that require wisdom as a stat to use he could better understand what the stat actually does for him.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Twiddy posted:

The game I am using is real life, and the definition of wisdom is the ability to make wise decisions (the ability to have good judgment, aka make better choices).

Man all it can do is allow you to make better choices, that sounds completely useless. I'd never want to make better choices in a game.

Again, the stats are actually related to him (this has been shown), not just a modifier for his statistical abilities. You keep talking about immediate benefits, but how does he even know he's grinding the right way? Maybe he's not even on the correct path. I don't think you're seeing that what you choose to do and how you choose to go about it in real life is based on decisions. A game can't quite capture that affect in real life accurately, but we're dealing with magic, so it's very possible.

You seem to think that if you have the ability to make better choices, you will have different choices to make. He doesn't have many choices right now; he can decide what stats to raise, what books to buy, what people to trust, and so forth. The problem is that his pool of knowledge from which to make those decisions does not change with increased wisdom. All increased wisdom does is allow him to choose better, but what if he doesn't have the knowledge required to choose wisely to begin with? As I said before, my guess is that if he pumped wisdom right now, all he'll immediately gain is the insight, "poo poo, maybe I should not have done that." He won't learn anything new, he won't be better prepared, he'll just be able to make better choices. Which is a good thing in the long run, obviously. But right now he needs to learn more than anything else, not choose. He needs to know more, and wisdom will not directly help him in that sense. At best, maybe it will motivate him to ask more questions.

Again, the real problem is that he doesn't know the exact effects of each stat point. Experimentation would help, but how many points would he have to sacrifice to get a feel for the effects of something not immediately obvious?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

He should try using observe on that magic book. He might get a hint about how it works.
And I like that UFO :3:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I always thought of wisdom as the application of knowledge and intelligence as a general knowing and ability to understand.

I loved the horror from the magical theory book. "What? You mean I actually have to read this poo poo?" And inside of it are probably real ways of refining his craft and is a literal goldmine of new skills which he could learn. He's eating all of this low hanging fruit and instead of stretching just a tad higher for the tastier fruit he says, "Nah, gently caress it," and contents himself with what is easy. He didn't even open it.

In the end he doesn't need more skills, he needs to learn how his power fundamentally works and break the game, and hence life, over his knee.

Experiment more and read the drat book.

edit: A few words I guess.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Don't forget he got a nice passive for bumping Intelligence up to 50, which essentially unlocked all of the mana-based skills he's been fiddling with lately. Plus his passives that boost the effects of any investments. But actual experienced fighters've been telling him he should bump up his physical stats so maybe that takes priority. I would say 50 in all stats isn't necessarily a terrible build. And it is considerably more doable with his passives.

But what he really needs is a help function, heh. And it's likely worthwhile comparing notes with other magic types--that Witch of Slaughter, for example. He can take a look at her stats too.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

pnumoman posted:

You seem to think that if you have the ability to make better choices, you will have different choices to make. He doesn't have many choices right now; he can decide what stats to raise, what books to buy, what people to trust, and so forth. The problem is that his pool of knowledge from which to make those decisions does not change with increased wisdom. All increased wisdom does is allow him to choose better, but what if he doesn't have the knowledge required to choose wisely to begin with? As I said before, my guess is that if he pumped wisdom right now, all he'll immediately gain is the insight, "poo poo, maybe I should not have done that." He won't learn anything new, he won't be better prepared, he'll just be able to make better choices. Which is a good thing in the long run, obviously. But right now he needs to learn more than anything else, not choose. He needs to know more, and wisdom will not directly help him in that sense. At best, maybe it will motivate him to ask more questions.
Well, that's actually one of things about the insight option, maybe a decision shows up that he didn't even think of before. For example, people here have made the comment that he's focusing on this being a game and building for that rather than this being real life. I would guess that if he was insightful, he might see that instead of building a character for a Korean MMO he's building a character for real life. I'm sure that insight would help him. That said, you are correct that unless godly wisdom caused him to see into the soul of the universe and deterministically solve every motion, wisdom is eventually going to have diminishing returns. Considering our character hasn't even looked for an options menu though, I think he needs more wisdom.

I am not disagreeing that intelligence is also very critical. In fact, I agree that he should be focusing on raising his intelligence as he has been doing. I liked that part for a while because it was a logical, wise choice. I think around now is when he should raise his wisdom above its absolute base stat and see what insights he can make.

That said, I guess there's another problem that I just recently identified. Wisdom isn't really a quantified thing because it exists under the same umbrella as intelligence in actual study. Therefore, the abilities and quantities of a human's intelligence is split between the two stats in this world. Generally you want to be pretty even in terms of intellectual abilities, so understanding the split between wisdom and intelligence would really help in determining a distribution of stats.

Kaja Rainbow posted:

But what he really needs is a help function, heh. And it's likely worthwhile comparing notes with other magic types--that Witch of Slaughter, for example. He can take a look at her stats too.
So this is what I'm reading. He needs insight into the idea of what a game application in the real world looks like, so that he could know there is an option menu. Then he would know that there is a decision to explore the options menu, and he would need wisdom to know that choosing the option to explore the options menu would be a good decision.

Obviously in the above description, every single step in the process is attributed to wisdom, when it can very easily be argued that intelligence constitutes some of that. Still, intelligence can't be the only thing required to make that decision, because he's bumped so many points into intelligence and still hasn't seen that as an option.

Also pnumoman, that's a great example of how having wisdom increases your number of choices. The ability to see that something is even an option comes from insight, usually. Now, it can also come from intelligence instead of wisdom, but that's because in real life they're the same thing. Considering he's not seeing some very obvious decisions that he could be making, and therefore has less decisions to make, I imagine he's missing something critical.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 8, 2014

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Don't forget he got a nice passive for bumping Intelligence up to 50, which essentially unlocked all of the mana-based skills he's been fiddling with lately. Plus his passives that boost the effects of any investments. But actual experienced fighters've been telling him he should bump up his physical stats so maybe that takes priority. I would say 50 in all stats isn't necessarily a terrible build. And it is considerably more doable with his passives.

A 50 in all skills would be difficult to do with just levels. As he gains levels the experience bar lengthens. So he's best served in raising skills at some point not by killing monsters, but by leveling passive skills that boost his stats.

He could hit a "soft" 100 intelligence (not points in it until there, but points plus buffs) with effort most likely too.

edit: Also, is anyone else disappointed that there is no charisma stat?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I swear I'm gonna quit this manwha if it turns out there was a help function the entire time and he never thinks to look for it until someone asks about it. And it's filled with things like "Stat point allocation guide" "Commonly used builds" and "Comprehensive list of all active and passive skills".

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I wouldn't be surprised if the Int/Wis split here was like the difference between being book smart and street smart. Like a high Intelligence is great for knowledge things, like medical stuff and the like, but a high Wisdom helps for things that are common sense and being merely book smart doesn't necessarily help with.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dragonatrix posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Int/Wis split here was like the difference between being book smart and street smart. Like a high Intelligence is great for knowledge things, like medical stuff and the like, but a high Wisdom helps for things that are common sense and being merely book smart doesn't necessarily help with.

A point of wisdom lets you view what stats actually do.

He'll bump it up by a single point one day and he'll realize what a massive dummy he has been.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
The problem here, really, is that the benefits're obvious for strength/vitality/dexterity and nebulous for wisdom/luck.

pnumoman posted:

I swear I'm gonna quit this manwha if it turns out there was a help function the entire time and he never thinks to look for it until someone asks about it. And it's filled with things like "Stat point allocation guide" "Commonly used builds" and "Comprehensive list of all active and passive skills".

I don't really expect it to have stuff like that. I'm thinking more stuff like "What does Wisdom/Luck do?" What menu functions he has available to him. Basic stuff like that. But Gaia or whoever's responsible for his Gamer ability's quirkiness might be getting too much enjoyment out of watching him bumble through to put in something that convenient. It certainly seems to enjoy sassing him.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah right now I'm looking at the insight part of wisdom being interpreted as the ability to know there's a decision in the first place. I mean, dude's been grinding so I imagine he has more intelligence than I do, and yet he hasn't looked at the help menu. I guess I just have more wisdom.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One kind of important thing is that, unlike in a game, putting points into strength/stamina is never going to be wasted. Being more agile or having more endurance is going to be useful even if he decides to go a more or less "pure" magic route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ice Phisherman posted:

A 50 in all skills would be difficult to do with just levels. As he gains levels the experience bar lengthens. So he's best served in raising skills at some point not by killing monsters, but by leveling passive skills that boost his stats.

He could hit a "soft" 100 intelligence (not points in it until there, but points plus buffs) with effort most likely too.

edit: Also, is anyone else disappointed that there is no charisma stat?

I remember him being able to level up his stats just by doing activities related to them. He could just train with his friend and work on his physical stats, and actually read that magical tome and other similar books to help level up his mental skills.

pnumoman posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something relating to a user manual hidden away in the menus.