Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A lot of people poo poo on Batman Eternal so I don't get your point.

Which is fair because it was poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's also the one that would fly out into space to check something out :shrug:

Was this comic really outrageous?
Batman Eternal #1 killed hundreds of people just to get everyone mad at Jim Gordon, but this is unacceptable?

E: I mean, tastes are tastes. Whatever, but in the grand scheme of comics, eh.

Killing a bunch is nameless civilians is dumb bullshit, but I don't get how you don't see the problem in charring one of DC's only four gay heroes and possibly killing another in the same blast(leaving only Bunker in the main universe),

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. I was happy he was back at all after their book was so destroyed, but bad stuff's gonna happen to characters. He can fly in space and there's a killer satellite out there we gotta demonstrate the threat of.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Not to mention that was the last actual gay couple was it not? I know they'll be fine because nothing that happens in this will actually matter, but it's still lovely.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey. I was happy he was back at all after their book was so destroyed, but bad stuff's gonna happen to characters. He can fly in space and there's a killer satellite out there we gotta demonstrate the threat of.
Here's the thing, there isn't really a killer satellite in space that they need to demonstrate the threat of. It's all made up! It wasn't required that he be killed, they decided that's how it should go down.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 7, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Teenage Fansub posted:

It doesn't really have to happen, at least it can be something other than death.

That is like the main point, I think.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 7, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Killing characters to prove the threat of the bad guy, such a great storytelling motif beloved by fans.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

It doesn't really have to happen.

The whole point of the story is that there's a satellite that really really wants to kill/make robots out of powerful beings hanging over everyone.

Demonstrating it's threat really does need to happen.

e: I was gonna say, I guess a big powerful anonymous alien could be cruising through space to get zapped instead of anyone we know, but it's definitely gonna based of a paranoid list of threat levels that Batman made.

I know I'm not arguing for high art. It's a blunt rear end superhero comic.

Senor Candle posted:

Not to mention that was the last actual gay couple was it not?

Batwoman is in a relationship, and so was some ARGUS commander.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 8, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nah, I will take its word for it.

I have no real need (or want) to see it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's weird how half of what I see out of DC right now reminds me of Mys-Tech Wars in the '90s.

The problem with having so few gay characters in a fictional universe is that even if it would make sense for one of them to go into a dangerous situation and get killed, doing so cuts the representation by some substantial fraction thereof and thus makes you look like an rear end in a top hat. Your options are basically to either treat homosexuality as an impenetrable bullet shield or introduce another three dozen gay characters. The latter probably makes more sense.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

The whole point of the story is that there's a satellite that really really wants to kill/make robots out of powerful beings hanging over everyone.

Demonstrating it's threat really does need to happen.

e: I was gonna say, I guess a big powerful anonymous alien could be cruising through space to get zapped instead of anyone we know, but it's definitely gonna based of a paranoid list of threat levels that Batman made.
Yeah, it's either one of the less than 10 gay characters DC has or some anonymous alien. There is no inbetween. And you are missing that point that this is fiction so the fact that somebody died means that an actual person decided they had to die. It doesn't matter why it happened in the story, because that isn't set in stone.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Batwoman is in a relationship, and so was some ARGUS commander.

I thought they broke up or something. I didn't read anything about Argus so I'll have to take your word for it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah, it's either one of the less than 10 gay characters DC has or some anonymous alien. There is no inbetween. And you are missing that point that this is fiction so the fact that somebody died means that an actual person decided they had to die. It doesn't matter why it happened in the story, because that isn't set in stone.

I thought they broke up or something.

They're not gonna get married, but they're together. When Batwoman isn't punching something, the book is all about the couple.

Who's saying it had to be one of the gay characters? I'm saying Apollo was a space farer, doing something characteristic. Could have been a Green Lantern.

I'm not blind to the fact that there are few gay characters out there. I think the fact that they aren't producing a lot of new characters is most of the problem. They don't seem unwilling with Bunker, ARGUS dude (though we're not going to see any more of him because of Vibe sales. Was he in the Forever Evil ARGUS thing?), Harper Row's brother who'll probably get a lot of screen time in Batman Eternal, and might even be the new Oracle.

Senor Candle posted:

That's the point we are making! It could have been so many other characters but it wasn't.

Why should it have been anybody else, is my point.
Him having business in space and the fact that he's about the most powerful being out there with the most chance to defend himself was probably all the decision was.
Why not Apollo for your high impact first victim?

e: He's in the teaser image with Midnighter, right? He probably gonna be able to regenerate and purge the virus or whatever.
How come nobody's bumped the hate thread? :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 8, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

They're not gonna get married, but they're together. When Batwoman isn't punching something, the book is all about the couple.

Who's saying it had to be one of the gay characters? I'm saying Apollo was a space farer, doing something characteristic. Could have been a Green Lantern.

I'm not blind to the fact that there are few gay characters out there. I think the fact that they aren't producing a lot of new characters is most of the problem.

That's the point we are making! It could have been so many other characters but it wasn't.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Just got done with the Flash annual, got a pretty good laugh at Barry saying, "I'm the reason Wally isn't 32 right now and married with two kids." Thanks for reminding me that they completely flushed everything even slightly important or critical to Wally's cahracter down the toilet, Venditti.

On the other hand super grim edgy garbage everywhere else and also the most ham handed way they could possibly introduce Barry to Wally. Just utterly horrible, Iris would've been less subtle if she'd said, "HERE, BARRY, I HAVE ACQUIRED YOUR KNEW RACIALLY DIVERSE SIDEKICK."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Haven't seen Future's End 1 (what will be the short for it, Forever Evil got dibs on FE :v:) but isn't suppossed to happen five years later on the current N52 timeline? If that's the case then everything will live when Terry finally can erase Brother Eye from existance.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Haven't seen Future's End 1 (what will be the short for it, Forever Evil got dibs on FE :v:) but isn't suppossed to happen five years later on the current N52 timeline? If that's the case then everything will live when Terry finally can erase Brother Eye from existance.

Yeah. Five years, but his co-ordinates got hosed up. He would've had to have gone even further than the current day to stop it getting made since Brother Up was up there in OMAC.

He seems to have arrived at the exact moment it's going bad, conveniently.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 8, 2014

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Haven't seen Future's End 1 (what will be the short for it, Forever Evil got dibs on FE :v:)...

How about FU?

It's appropriate at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

How about FU?

It's appropriate at least.

Perfect.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to reading Future's End 1 and yeah, I can confidently say that Terry needs to get out of that awful comic NOW!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 8, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am pretty sure it's shw-argabe

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Harper Row's brother who'll probably get a lot of screen time in Batman Eternal, and might even be the new Oracle.

It looks like the intern guy who was with Vicki Vale is gay as well. They might set him up with Harper's brother. I actually didn't hate this weeks Batman Eternal so there's a nice surprise.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Shameless posted:

It looks like the intern guy who was with Vicki Vale is gay as well. They might set him up with Harper's brother. I actually didn't hate this weeks Batman Eternal so there's a nice surprise.

As it turns out the book with Batman in the title needed slightly less Batman to actually be good. Like, a weekly is the perfect space to have fun with every other character around Gotham and if this is the beginning of a trend it's gonna be a pretty good read.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hasn't this story with the threat list been done a few times before?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Eye#Brother_MK_I
After the Identity Crisis mind wiping, Batman distrusted everyone and got the satellite to keep tabs on metahumans and Maxwell Lord turned it into a killing machine.

In this universe we've already had the satellite as sentient (but not yet murderous (e: I think? I can't remember OMAC too well)) used by Maxwell Lord to command OMAC, and Batman showing paranoia in keeping secret little boxes of things to use against each league member.
In Futures End #0 future Bruce sends Batman Beyond back to stop past Bruce and Mr Terrific from creating the thing, but he doesn't travel back far enough, so it's up there and just starting to turn bad.
You can hear the satellite's inner computer thoughts going, like 'Threat level 9. Eliminate" so I'm guessing Batman got it made for the same reason.

EDIT: Hey. Yeah. Batman Eternal #5 was pretty okay! First Tynion IV comic I've really liked. Maybe I should try out his creator owned that came out this week.

EEDIT: Green Arrow #31 was fuckin' great!

Now I'll weep for the rad Katana book that never was.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 8, 2014

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Eye#Brother_MK_I
After the Identity Crisis mind wiping, Batman distrusted everyone and got the satellite to keep tabs on metahumans and Maxwell Lord turned it into a killing machine.

In this universe we've already had the satellite as sentient (but not yet murderous (e: I think? I can't remember OMAC too well)) used by Maxwell Lord to command OMAC, and Batman showing paranoia in keeping secret little boxes of things to use against each league member.
In Futures End #0 future Bruce sends Batman Beyond back to stop past Bruce and Mr Terrific from creating the thing, but he doesn't travel back far enough, so it's up there and just starting to turn bad.
You can hear the satellite's inner computer thoughts going, like 'Threat level 9. Eliminate" so I'm guessing Batman got it made for the same reason.

What was the end consequences in the original telling of this story? You'd think that the other heroes would be a bit annoyed at Batman afterwards.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Trast posted:

What was the end consequences in the original telling of this story? You'd think that the other heroes would be a bit annoyed at Batman afterwards.

That pretty much led Morrison to do his Bat-rehab (and the cleansing ritual Bruce undertakes in 52?) because Brooding, Dark Batman had become Irrationally Mistrusting rear end in a top hat Batman.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

That pretty much led Morrison to do his Bat-rehab (and the cleansing ritual Bruce undertakes in 52?) because Brooding, Dark Batman had become Irrationally Mistrusting rear end in a top hat Batman.

That does seem like a natural progression for him to make. He is the Howard Hughes of superheroes.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Geoff Johns Superman immediately starts with them referencing the "Death of Superman"

No one at DC knows what the gently caress did and didn't happen anymore (this is after Charles Soule stated without a doubt that it didn't happen.)

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

E the Shaggy posted:

Geoff Johns Superman immediately starts with them referencing the "Death of Superman"

No one at DC knows what the gently caress did and didn't happen anymore (this is after Charles Soule stated without a doubt that it didn't happen.)

Isn't the Doomsday event Superman is going through supposed to be its replacement?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goldenoreos posted:

Isn't the Doomsday event Superman is going through supposed to be its replacement?

They've now gone back on that statement. And Soule was really evasive about it when I asked him at C2E2. Nobody at DC knows what the gently caress.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

This might be more for the DC gripes thread but when was the last time DC had their collective poo poo together? Reading the forums it seems like they have been on a slide for quite a few years now. Marvel and Image seem to be gobbling up the market share DC is shedding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trast posted:

This might be more for the DC gripes thread but when was the last time DC had their collective poo poo together? Reading the forums it seems like they have been on a slide for quite a few years now. Marvel and Image seem to be gobbling up the market share DC is shedding.

Last time DC had their collective poo poo together? 52 and One Year Later.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Trast posted:

Have they been losing market share? Image has been growing, but I thought DC was still just 5% behind Marvel.

Ok, fine I checked. Comichron says over Feb and March, Marvel has been about 7-9% ahead of DC on everything, with numbers in the high 30s. Image is still in the low 10s, but that's probably 2x better than they were last year, so good on them.

Fun Fact, Batman, Superman, and Forever Evil were numbers 1, 2, 3 for DC. Harley Quinn was at 14, and the only other DC book in the top 20.

Returns probably change things, but I don't know if there's any way to account for those.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

E the Shaggy posted:

We've gone to plaid on the continuity spectrum.

Everything and nothing has happened. All characters are neotextual interpretations of stories that have and have not been.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Trast posted:

edit: quoted wrong post

StumblyWumbly posted:

Have they been losing market share? Image has been growing, but I thought DC was still just 5% behind Marvel.

Not that I have any hard data, but there are long term considerations to be had regarding how the market shifts, which is apparently happening.

http://www.themarysue.com/young-women-comic-demographic-growing/

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 8, 2014

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

FilthyImp posted:

To be fair, the big storylines for the five years or so leading up to "Irrationally Mistrusting rear end in a top hat Batman" were:

-Evil conspiracy turns Gotham City into a No Man's Land abandoned by the federal government
-Lex Luthor parlays that into being elected president
-Batman is framed for murder and none of crew trust him
-Batman's childhood best friend comes back and tries to kill him and gets Harold his tech guy to betray him
-Also his old childhood friend replaces Alfred with some sort of sleeper agent Clayface assassin
-Jason Todd comes back from the dead to try to kill him
-Spoiler steals his plans and sparks a massive gang war where she and a bunch of other people are maimed and killed
-In the aftermath of this disaster, Leslie Tompkins decides to let Spoiler die to 'prove a point' to Batman, abandons him and runs off
-Also the Gotham Police turn against him
-Also Oracle turns her back to him
-Also Dick Grayson decides to go deep cover as a supervillain and refuses to let Batman know what he's doing
-Also it turns out the Justice League brainwashed him (and his sometimes girlfriend Catwoman, who also betrayed him to his old childhood friend)
-Then one of his teammate's wife kills one of his friends and also tricks someone into murdering Tim Drake's dad
-Consequently Tim Drake disowns him and runs off to join some weird black ops dude
-Oh yeah also his friend Max Lord shoots Ted Kord in the face and then uses his mind control powers to get Superman to try to murder Batman (for at least the third time in two years where Superman tries to kill Batman while 'under mind control') and also turns out to be some sort of mass-murdering psycho who also steals his satellite
-Also his sidekick's best friend has some sort of killcrazy trigger implanted in him by Lex Luthor and repeatedly tries to kill Robin

But really, the lesson in all of this is that Batman needs to learn to be more trusting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Where's this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Where's this?

The book isn't out yet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The book isn't out yet.

I know. Where's the news on how it starts?

e: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/08/what-the-teen-titans-did-with-the-green-teams-money/
I was really hoping they'd use the Green Team funding and keep those characters around (and transfer over Baltazar and Franco) but it looks like maybe we're getting an International Titans? A bit hard to tell what's going on in one panel.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It was really Batman's fault for not figuring out Max Lord was evil all along despite that making no loving sense whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I know. Where's the news on how it starts?

Edit: Better source

• Locked thread