Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lizard Combatant

I have some notes.

rudatron posted:

FYI most australians are never actually in danger from its wildlife because they don't live in its habitat, this bullshit machismo about Australian Wildlife :smug: is dumb as hell.

Also, irwin had it coming. That's right, I went there.

I approve this message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES

everyday people wake up and they are australian. who can believe it

hambeet

XyloJW posted:

Spent all afternoon cleaning out a closet for when family comes to visit this weekend, and after about 3 hours of carelessly reaching into boxes, I almost grabbed a brown recluse. After I killed that fucker, I've found that the going is much much slower, as I slowly open each box with a stick.

Statistically there will only be one in any given closet so after you killed him there was no need to slow down. That's just inefficient.

hambeet

THS posted:

everyday people wake up and they are australian. who can believe it

Sounds like the start of a charity commercial.

"Give now so that we can help these people suffering from being Australian."

Tokamak

rudatron posted:

FYI most australians are never actually in danger from its wildlife because they don't live in its habitat, this bullshit machismo about Australian Wildlife :smug: is dumb as hell.

I always thought Australia's dangerous creatures shared a similar place in Australian mythos to dropbears. Besides, a shopping centre's garbage disposal site is probably more dangerous then most wildlife; breathing that air for more then 10 seconds doubles the likelihood of getting cancer.

I always look at magpies like they want to stick their beak in my skull. I know they usually aren't interested in that, but you can never be too sure. Magpies are a crafty lot. Well that's my wildlife story...

hambeet

Lizard Combatant posted:

I approve this message.

Yeah, rudatron is allowed one good post per month. Shame he used it up so early though.

Orkin Mang

by FactsAreUseless

XyloJW posted:

you are straight pissin me off, bro

poodles are poo poo, though. straight up fraud of a dog

Vladimir Poutine
:madmax:

rudatron posted:

Well I don't know about you but my inner city suburb is crawling with crocodiles

rudatron

by Fluffdaddy

beetloJW posted:

Sounds like the start of a charity commercial.

"Give now so that we can help these people suffering from being Australian."
Yeah, but where's our oz-aid concert with washed up rockstars singing their dumb poo poo? Sounds like reverse racism to me.

Bono, why have you forsaken us?

rudatron fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 8, 2014

Big Willy Style

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
We have 100% ozzy battlers earning 150000k a year and you guys are making jokes

rudatron

by Fluffdaddy

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Well I don't know about you but my inner city suburb is crawling with crocodiles
The inner city is the favourite habitat of predatory bears :henget:

Avshalom

by Lowtax

rudatron posted:

i live three blocks from oxford st and can confirm this is true

tithin

[Grandmaster Tactician]

rudatron posted:

:itisagayjoke:

true story, I lived in the country once and turned on my light in the middle of the night to see a giant loving spider on the wall on the same wall plane as the light that started crawling towards me when I turned the light on

I loving choked that bastard so full of anti bug spray that you could still smell it a week later

Avshalom

by Lowtax

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

true story, I lived in the country once and turned on my light in the middle of the night to see a giant loving spider on the wall on the same wall plane as the light that started crawling towards me when I turned the light on
I loving choked that bastard so full of anti bug spray that you could still smell it a week later
it was offering you its friendship

Big Willy Style

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I am actually samwise gamgee and I blued shelob once.

bell jar

rudatron posted:

haha yeah for real. maybe the occasional red back story

Senor Tron

You shouldn't be worrying about the fact the spider was running towards you.

You should be worrying about what that spider was running from.

Simon Numbers
I ran into snakes/spiders when I was younger. There's not really much of a threat as long as you've got a sensible head on your shoulders. Don't touch any snake you can't identify is a pretty good way to go.

You guys should be more afraid of rats, they are more likely to make you sick being everywhere and all.

On an unrelated note does anyone here run a successful drafting business? I've got some small clients lined up but actually making money to support myself will be a challenge.

BlitzkriegOfColour

Send help, Auspol. The gig I went to tonight at the Camelot lounge turned out to be a Jewish band and all I can think about is the plight of the Palestinians.

bell jar

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Send help, Auspol. The gig I went to tonight at the Camelot lounge turned out to be a Jewish band and all I can think about is the plight of the Palestinians.

if they're israeli chances are they were soldiers so your morals say you can murder them in their sleep

Freudian Slip

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I used to work at a supermarket and one day we had an 8 foot carpet python chilling above our butcher. The manager (who was also a stripper for wildboys afloat) decided that he was going to be macho and wrangle this snake with my help.

He grabs a massive meat hook and hands me an empty 10kg potato sack (about the size of a pillow case). He wanted 15 year old me to stand underneath the snake and hold the bag up while he hooked it with meat hook (not through the snake - but wrapped around) and put it in the bag I was holding

As soon as he started trying it pissed the snake off and I told him to go gently caress himself and that this was well outside the job description.

The snake slid away only to be discovered by a shopper. She grabbed a packet of chips and found a huge snake just chilling behind it. This time a different manager sensibly called wires to deal with it.

One of the wires guy who came out to collect it had his arm broken in the process.

:australia:

Avshalom

by Lowtax

The Deadly Hume

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
what's a hotel around Sydney that isn't poo poo, that isn't a backpackers, and doesn't charge $500 a night for the privilege of being bilked extra for wifi anyway

XyloJW
My indoor-only cat got out. :(

The Deadly Hume

depends if they're Zionists or not

go ask them if they're Zionists.

BCR

I hate wild pigs. Snakes stay out of your way, and you jus be careful where you put your hands. Had a 4 foot brown napping on my 4wd engine block, and red bellied blacks used a dirt track I was on as a road. You just chill, they cross the road, carry on. And don't be a dickhead who runs over snakes. Congrats you have a half crushed kill machine in your axel. :ughh:
Spiders are ok. They kill flies and bugs and stuff, part of the food chain. They're only going to kill hoarders.

Wild pigs can get shot repeatedly and sold for beer money though.

Avshalom

by Lowtax
i'm a zionist

XyloJW
It's been such a pretty night out that I had the windows open, but they're screened. The cat had been sitting in the window all night, enjoying the breeze. Just now from the other room I hear a clatter, and then a loud angry cat yowling. I run into the room, see the screen has been knocked out and a cat running off down the street, but I couldn't tell if it was my cat running or the stray he was fighting that ran.

So I jsut spent the last hour searching the neighborhood for him. I found him eventually, but holy gently caress, that's scary.

You Am I, I sympathize.

The Deadly Hume

like the cheapest hotel I can find that isn't a flophouse in disguise is bang on Kings Cross ("Potts Point" indeed) so, boom, walk out the door, kneedeep in human effluent anyway.

XyloJW
This is the second time he's ever been outside. The last time was 4 years ago, when he was a kitten, he snuck out during Thanksgiving dinner when I was airing out the kitchen, and then later that night we had a blizzard, and he was out there in the snow for 3 days before we found him.

Avshalom

by Lowtax
xylo, your cat is now a man :unsmith:

BCR

The Deadly Hume posted:

like the cheapest hotel I can find that isn't a flophouse in disguise is bang on Kings Cross ("Potts Point" indeed) so, boom, walk out the door, kneedeep in human effluent anyway.

You don't want to buy a single room at the YMCA at Central?

rudatron

by Fluffdaddy
drat xylo, good to hear your cattee is safe.

rudatron

by Fluffdaddy

Avshalom posted:

i'm a zionist
ur in trouble now

Cartoon

poop

One of the many (I catch about six or so a year) huge pythons I deal with at my house in the bush. I have a very embarrassing story that involves a python I tried to catch. Basically I tried to catch it the normal way but once I got it in my snake catcher (polypipe around a telstra rope loop) I realised it was TOO HEAVY for me to lift with one hand and therefore holding the pillow case while I put it in wasn't gonna happen. In a 'brilliant' flash of inspiration I decided to spin around with the snake in the snake catcher and once going fast enough release the snake catcher and hopefully the snake would now be a long way away. I'd be down a snake catcher but *meh*. On about the second orbit I realised that this was taking up way more room than I had envisioned and the third orbit was probably going to be my last. Carefully choosing my release point I let go and due to momentum crashed into the ground injuring myself slightly.

Satisfied that Mr Snakee would now be an enormous distance away I picked myself up and wistfully considered the replacement of my snake catcher. I need not have concerned myself. A slightly dizzy and bewildered serpent lay about a meter away and was busy disentangling itself from said snake catcher.

Fortunately plan B, getting a cat carrier and putting it on it's end then dumping the snake in, worked much better.

Fun python facts! Professional handlers allocate one person for the first two meters of length and one additional for every meter above. The reason being that once they are over two meters long if they manage to get around your neck you are not strong enough to remove it. Apparently many snake owners die to their pets this way. Most of the pythons I deal with are about 2 meters long. Mr whizzy dizzy was around three.

I suspect two of my cat disappearances are python related :(

Skellybones

Tokamak posted:

"The pain goes away in 20 minutes or you die" - Visit Australia

New thread title here ^^

Avshalom

by Lowtax

rudatron posted:

ur in trouble now
haha no, i think i need to get a new account to make people fall for my zionist gimmick :(

i do legit have recurring dreams that the ghost of ariel sharon is my friend tho

webmeister

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

there's a joke about snakes and grids here but i just can't quite find it

CROWS EVERYWHERE

CAW CAW CAW

I am constantly having to save my loser housemates from giant huntsmen, golden orb weavers on the mailbox, etc. City people in Australia treat country people like the rest of the world treats Australians as far as snakes/spiders go (though most of my housemates are exchange students anyway so they are always impressed by my mad spider-handling skills).

My mother's favourite story was about when she and my father had just finished building our first house (we were staying in a caravan until then). She was asleep in bed one night and felt something cold on her shoulder, so she was like "Oh a stupid frog has come inside" and flipped it away with her hand. But instead of going PLOP on the cement like a frog, it went SLITHER SLITHER SLITHER and she put the light on, to see a big brown snake wiggling away out the door.

Her second favourite was when I was little and getting just old enough to go to the toilet on my own at night. She decided to check I was all right and right between us, probably only a metre or so from each of us, in the bath toys bucket, was a black snake with a frog half in its mouth. She was worried at first because having a big black snake near your firstborn is not fun, but then thought "Oh, don't they say snakes can't spit up their food once they start to eat it, because of their teeth?" And then the snake spat out the frog! :v:

Another time, my brother unrolled a sleeping bag for a friend to stay over and a big brown snake plopped out.

My parents have a carpet snake living in both of their two sheds (a little carpet snake in the little shed, a big carpet snake in the big shed). They scare city visitors but you could pat them if you felt like it. :3:

For dangerous snakes myself I've only ever had them wiggle across my path once or twice while walking around our lot, or seen one having a nap and then decided to not walk near it. I did see a very cute green tree snake curled up on a rock once, it was very cute. :3:

e: fixed an instance of black snake that should have been brown snake

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant

I have some notes.
Yeah I just instinctively scroll past any Cartoon post that involves the words "huge pythons" and an accompanying outdoors photo.

• Locked thread