Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Monsters and Other Childish Things easily maps to a Jojo game. Heck, there's even a rule that damage done to a PC's monster is reflected on the PC! And it's super easy to give yourself some weird stand powers, and use them to be effective in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Part 7 is my favorite part because of how well executed the characters and plot are, how interesting the stands are (it's the first time we see a good number of stands that are just a power without a spirit that goes along with it), and how friggin good the climax is. The entire fight with Valentine and D4C is really tense and a whole lot of fun. I even found the obligatory Deus Ex Machina powerup well explained, foreshadowed, and executed!

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Part 4 is best part

Joseph is best jojo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I think Johnny might be my favorite...unless BruBru counts.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FewtureMD posted:

Monsters and Other Childish Things easily maps to a Jojo game. Heck, there's even a rule that damage done to a PC's monster is reflected on the PC! And it's super easy to give yourself some weird stand powers, and use them to be effective in combat.

To me JoJo isn't about the combat, it's about the puzzle aspect of solving the enemy's stand. The campaign I'm planning to run won't have much focus on combat, but more about using powers creatively and trying to puzzle out enemy stand powers.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Volcano Style posted:

I have no idea how many of you guys are tabletop/pen and paper players, but I've been working on a JoJo RPG for the past week or so. I'm just testing it to make sure Stands aren't broken (in the bad way) and then I'll see if there's interest in a playtest or something.

Count me in if you do a playtest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Not going to lie, I'm reading Part 5 now and I'm not really getting into it. Moody Blues and some other Stand that deflates people just got introduced.

Does it pick up later, at least?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Theres no harm in just bypassing part 5, its translation sucks and it really brings the part down as a whole.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I didn't enjoy it much at first, but once I got to know all the character I enjoyed it a lot. The interactions between Passione is what makes it for me, and the way they use their stand powers together is pretty creative. It has a very Part-3-feel with enemy of the week stuff, though. I don't vote for skipping it, but to each their own.

Honestly, I found part 4 to be hardest to force my way through. I've never enjoyed the slice-of-life-style of storytelling before. As I looked back on part 4 after finishing all of jojo, however, I felt like I really enjoyed it overall and loved it in re-reads.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Surprisingly, the LN sequel to Part 5, Purple Haze Feedback has an actually good translation. It's the only Jojo LN that's been translated, I believe. The story is pretty good too. It really gives me a better sense of the character personalities than the actual Part 5 did (at least in translation). I also get a sense that the author really understands Italy, instead of sort of idealizing it the way Araki sometimes seems to.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 8, 2014

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not going to lie, I'm reading Part 5 now and I'm not really getting into it. Moody Blues and some other Stand that deflates people just got introduced.

Does it pick up later, at least?

I definitely think 5 is worth finishing, though I think Bruno is one of the coolest main characters out of all of them. There are also some really cool fights right before the final boss.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

mikeycp posted:

I think Bruno is one of the coolest main characters out of all of them.

Also this, holy poo poo Bruno is amazing.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

SunAndSpring posted:

You think Mutants and Masterminds would work as well?

Having tried Jojo as an M&M game; emphatically no. M&M is way too focused on combat and far too fiddly to really approximate the loose, crazy-rear end feel of Jojo. Marvel Super Heroes/FASERIP or Monsters & Other Childish Things, though, that could work. Mage: The Awakening too. MAYBE Geist if you reskinned, and I mean reskinned it a LOT.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Also this, holy poo poo Bruno is amazing.

The members of the Assassin group are also pretty rad

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think that the WHO SHOT JOHNNY? chapters in SBR were some of the most confusing I've ever read in Jojo though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, I suppose I'll give it a chance. Really, I just want to see what happens to Diavolo. I heard that his death is apparently worse than what happens to Kars.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Part 5's translation is decent up to the White Album fight. You should at least get to the Grateful Dead, it's one of the best fights in the series.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Star Platinum posted:

Part 5's translation is decent up to the White Album fight. You should at least get to the Grateful Dead, it's one of the best fights in the series.

Only if you mean the new translation.

http://silencedrowns.tumblr.com/image/19618206929

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As someone who's relatively hard on Part 5 for it not really focusing on its group as much as the previous two series did, it's worth reading. A lot of the fights and stands are very unique, Bruno loving rules as does Narancia, and the train fight, holy poo poo the train fight. Just soldier through the bad translation, while dialogue is an important part of the series, it's more visceral than that dialogue-based and worth reading for some if the spreads and ridiculous looking stuff.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While I do agree that Bruno loving rules and he's all but the real protagonist, Part 5 is worth it just because it includes one of the most incredibly cringe-worthy and badass looking beatdowns that I remember ever reading. Even if he's never as cool as Bruno, Giorno earned his Jojo badge with that.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

May be a bit late, but for me parts 2 and 4 usually tie for best. I've seen/read those 4, but between just the escalating amounts of insanity and just how awesome Joseph makes part 2 up there. 4 is honestly weird. There were two parts that I wasn't super fond of, but the cast itself and just how nuts the finale was kept me coming back. I've started parts 5 and 6. I'm reading them at the same time, but I haven't had enough time to decide how much I enjoy them.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'd definitely be down for playtesting your JJBA fate ruleset, if only because Im trying to do one myself and we could compare notes.

Part 4 is my favorite specifically because of how low the stakes are after the first three parts. Everything had been building and building with Dio wanting to take over the world and the pillar men and all that world spanning battle, so the contrast of part four being a bunch of teenagers with stands dicking around and doing stupid poo poo is much more endearing. The chapters with Harvest are probably some of my favorites.

Jolyne will always be the best JoJo, though. That woman does not give a single gently caress.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, the re-escalation of threat in parts 4 to 6 is kind of cool. Like, 4 only matters to a single town. 5 is all about Passione and win or lose the world will keep spinning. Then 6 shoots the moon for the fate of everything ever.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

the train fight, holy poo poo the train fight.

This for Part 5. If you're unsure on it, at least read this far because it's one of the best fights in the whole of JoJo.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, the re-escalation of threat in parts 4 to 6 is kind of cool. Like, 4 only matters to a single town. 5 is all about Passione and win or lose the world will keep spinning. Then 6 shoots the moon for the fate of everything ever.

Well, the world keeps spinning in part 6, too. Just way, way faster.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I honestly like part 1 a lot just because Johnathan is such a likable character. It starts off slow but once Dio betrays the family the rest of the series is really good. Part 2 & 4 kind of tie for my favorite though. Part 2 has a great story and fights but I think the final fight was a little underwhelming. Part 4 has great characters, setting, and one of the best antagonists in the series but it kind of meanders towards the middle and there is too much lipservice to characters like Rohan who is more enjoyable in small doses.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Brought To You By posted:

I honestly like part 1 a lot just because Johnathan is such a likable character. It starts off slow but once Dio betrays the family the rest of the series is really good. Part 2 & 4 kind of tie for my favorite though. Part 2 has a great story and fights but I think the final fight was a little underwhelming. Part 4 has great characters, setting, and one of the best antagonists in the series but it kind of meanders towards the middle and there is too much lipservice to characters like Rohan who is more enjoyable in small doses.

I could describe the ending of BT a lot of ways, but "underwhelming" would not be one of them.

THE EARTH COULD NOT KILL KARS. BUT INSTEAD!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

I could describe the ending of BT a lot of ways, but "underwhelming" would not be one of them.

THE EARTH COULD NOT KILL KARS. BUT INSTEAD!

That's the thing. It's a conclusion that plays to the character's strengths (Joseph's resourcefulness and blind luck) but Cars wasn't really that interesting of a villain outside of his combat potential and I would have liked to see a fight with the same weight as Joseph vs Wham. The Joseph/Cars fight certainly doesn't lack for action or danger, it just doesn't really hold my attention as much as previous fights and feels like it wasn't as well thought through as some of the other parts conclusions. For example, I really didn't like Part 4's conclusion my first time through because I really wanted Josuke to be the one to take down Kira. However, my second time through someone pointed out that the victory was really for the people of Morioh and that the story was more oriented around the community of stand users than the main group and once that clicked I became a much better ending.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I've only read 1-4 and half of 6 so far, but I'd say Part 2 is my favorite. It's a solid piece of work, and honestly my only complaint is that it was still at the point in Araki's writing where no one but JoJo could win a fight against major bad guys.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

For example, I really didn't like Part 4's conclusion my first time through because I really wanted Josuke to be the one to take down Kira.

He didn't land the final blow or anything, but for all intents and purposes he did. Hell he's the reason Koichi even has Echoes, so even the last bit can be traced to him.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

I honestly like part 1 a lot just because Johnathan is such a likable character.

You are the only person I've ever heard say that. Everyone else I've heard, Araki included, thinks Jonathan was a particularly uninteresting exercise in shonen protagonist 101.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really wanted Josuke to be the one to take down Kira.

But he did. :psyduck:

Him being completely helpless from the beating Josuke gave him when the others came upon the aftermath of their fight was the reason he decided to try jumping back in time.

onepixeljumpman posted:

You are the only person I've ever heard say that. Everyone else I've heard, Araki included, thinks Jonathan was a particularly uninteresting exercise in shonen protagonist 101.

He's bland, but he is a pretty likable guy.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

onepixeljumpman posted:

To be fair, spending your last moments hugging the guy who tried to kill you and your wife is pretty ballsy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jonathan's really just very "Whatever." He sort of peaks as a character in the first episode/chapter and nothing really changes from there. The conclusion was genuinely sad, but anything between that it's hard to care for Jonathan. He works better as a legacy character than an actual one that a story follows, really.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

No I agree with that sentiment. Johnathan is very plain and straightforward character as were a lot of others in Phantom Blood. Araki was playing the shonen genre conventions pretty straight but I guess I kind of like having a character who is unambiguously a gentleman and honorable person. He's good enough for what he does and his admirable qualities are a lot more endearing than most would give him credit for.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I like part 4's conclusion because after it's over, they just hang out and eat magical Italian food. Every other arc ends with almost everybody in the party dying, but part 4 is just them chilling and comparing Rohan to Mona Lisa.

Part 4 shows what regular life would be like with stands.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

chilling and comparing Rohan to Mona Lisa.

Good thing Kira never saw his hands. :v:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I liked jonathan a lot too, but then again I was introduced to jojo through the anime. He's not my favorite but I don't dislike him in the least. A gentleman muscle-man that is surprisingly naive at times in such a huge body is just so fun. That he's the counter point of hilariously over the top, needlessly dickish DIO is just icing on the cake.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jonathan would be a better character if to counter Dio's insanely dickish moves he did insanely gentlemanly things like carry an old later through shark infested waters to her old cottage or prevent wine from spilling all over the fine table cloth with the ripple. Shame that latter one never came true, Dio was alway better even at table manners, Jonathan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

onepixeljumpman posted:

Jonathan is a particularly well done version of that trope, and I think his simple do-good attitude works given the relative brevity of Phantom Blood. He gets to do a lot of cool good guy things in a short span, and is a very good character to kick off the "noble heritage" of the Joestars.

Steel Ball Run is my favorite arc, for its melancholy feel and simultaneous ridiculousness. No story featuring US President Funny Valentine as the chief antagonist has any right to be that personal or touching. Josuke (part 4) is my favorite JoJo, though, he really feels like the best parts of the first three put into one, while still being very much his own character. Special honors go to Battle Tendency too, for just being non stop fun and managing to escalate the stakes hugely without it ever feeling forced or arbitrary.

• Locked thread