Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Metropolis posted:

I'm surprised this show's not still on considering how many crappy panel game show thingies there are now. This concept at least gives a good mix of interesting game show and celebrities goofing around.
The game show trappings are the shittiest part; it eats a lot of time and ultimately adds next to nothing. Much better to just pitch them interesting questions, a la QI.

DivisionPost posted:

I don't know. Hey, it's late, look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEIsWWngJo

That said, this is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

@Midnight is a better version of the concept, anyway.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JohnSherman posted:

:aaaaa: Well, that settles it, I'm in for the entire season. I really hope it turns out to be good.

Yeah, he's the only reason why I'm interested in Gotham. Nothing else in the trailer really grabbed me, but Donal Logue as Gordon's mentor/partner is a must-watch. Also, Gordon needs to grow a mustache.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ashpanash posted:

@Midnight is a better version of the concept, anyway.

Eh, I watched an episode of that once, and it didn't seem to leave room for more than one liners.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I'm glad Donal Logue is in All The Shows.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I'm kind of sad about Surviving Jack, I thought it was a cute little show. Christopher Meloni was great, as always.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of people joining casts, Damon Wayans Jr has officially signed on as a regular for next season of New Girl.
I looked this up, and he was a guest star (or equivalent, IMDB doesn't actually say) on 17 out of 23 episodes this season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, he was originally supposed to be on the show when it started but Happy Endings got unexpectedly renewed for a second season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FadingChord posted:

Is Surviving Jack worth catching in my free on-demand queue before it probably vanishes forever? I really like Christopher Meloni and I've watched more SVU than I care to admit, if that tilts things.

I really like it, the cast gel really well together and I'll never get sick of Meloni nonchalantly firing the shotgun in the intro sequence every week.

Glad Dads is gone, but sad both Surviving Jack and Enlisted weren't given more time to get an audience. Enlisted was just treated like garbage from the word go, when it's a fun little show. I'm starting to think the major networks aren't really the place for these kind of shows, if they're not broad family based sitcoms they seem to either never get past a 1st season or are permanently on the brink of cancellation.

Maybe with USA and TBS picking up original 30 minute sitcoms, this is a better place to pitch your show. You'll probably get the same viewing figures but it'll at least be considered a success.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
While we're talking game shows, does anyone watch Hollywood Game Night regularly? I binged a bunch of episodes with people I liked and it was a pleasant enough diversion. Jane Lynch isn't a great host, though. She's too deadpan.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PittTheElder posted:

The game show trappings are the shittiest part; it eats a lot of time and ultimately adds next to nothing. Much better to just pitch them interesting questions, a la QI.

Without the game show aspect, Hollywood Squares is just C-listers making terrible ad-libbed jokes. It only works as well as it does because the game part of it creates stakes and gives the celebrities a reason to tell their "jokes."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

lelandjs posted:

While we're talking game shows, does anyone watch Hollywood Game Night regularly? I binged a bunch of episodes with people I liked and it was a pleasant enough diversion. Jane Lynch isn't a great host, though. She's too deadpan.

I watched a couple of episodes and found it alright. Lynch's hosting was bad enough to keep me from watching any more, though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PittTheElder posted:

Eh, I watched an episode of that once, and it didn't seem to leave room for more than one liners.
The episode with Weird Al was pretty great, but that's because Weird Al is awesome

Irish Joe posted:

Without the game show aspect, Hollywood Squares is just C-listers making terrible ad-libbed jokes. It only works as well as it does because the game part of it creates stakes and gives the celebrities a reason to tell their "jokes."
Or as I can see in that video, Penn & Teller do magic tricks. Man I remember when I really liked those two, I mean I still like the magic they do, but what a bunch of assholes. Bullshit was almost as bad as South Park for the whole truth in the middle/Libertarian bullshit. I was shocked to learn that Penn used to work with The Residents back in the 80s though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DivisionPost posted:

I don't know. Hey, it's late, look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEIsWWngJo

Tom Bergeron sure had a lot of hair back then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

They're not even ad-libbed. Hollywood Squares had writers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is @midnight faked improv? I see them looking down at their podiums a lot before answering.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

lelandjs posted:

I think I've watched every episode and it's pretty okay; my girlfriend really likes it. I definitely like it more based on how many competitors I'm familiar with, though.

I usually do homework or play a game on my laptop while it's on, but it's pretty fun background noise after Parks & Rec if nothing else.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

Is @midnight faked improv? I see them looking down at their podiums a lot before answering.

They get a chunk of the questions a few hours in advance. Pretty standard fare for panel shows to be honest, it'd be a lot less funny if they had to come up with stuff on the spot for the whole hour or whatever it is before they cut it down.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

zoux posted:

Yeah it is kind of. Hannah Hart said she had time to prepare in one of her videos, plus the writers for the show have backup jokes for them to use just incase.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gluten Free Dieters (non-Celiac) piss me off so here's a Jimmy Kimmel bit about that so I can say that in the TVIV chat thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdJFE1sp4Fw

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
This world would be a much better place if we could round up everybody who worries about gluten, anti-oxidants, fish oil and sulfites, put them in a rocket and fire them into the sun.

edit: "I'm allergic to sulfites" is white woman for "I don't know how to control my drinking."

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 8, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My doctor tells me to take fish oil daily due to a family history of heart disease.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

My doctor tells me to take fish oil daily due to a family history of heart disease.

Sorry, you're on Uncle Joe's Eugenicist Rocket Ride to the Sun.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

This world would be a much better place if we could round up white people, put them in a rocket and fire them into the sun.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I was going to say his doctor's a quack, but it all comes out in the wash.

The only pass I'm willing to give is to "calcium" and only because there's actual research to back up its benefits.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is true that there is some disagreement whether low HDL should be directly treated or if it is just indicative of an overall pathology that has low HDL as one of its symptoms :thumbsup:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hl8gkoApFY

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I never had an interest in watching New Girl, but after my roommate told me Damon Waynes Jr. is in the cast now I sat down and watched a few episodes with him yesterday. Pretty drat funny show. Just makes me miss Happy Endings though. :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

I was going to say his doctor's a quack, but it all comes out in the wash.

The only pass I'm willing to give is to "calcium" and only because there's actual research to back up its benefits.

I hear polonium is great. Try it out and let us know Joe.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've been watching a lot of classic Hawaii Five-O in the afternoons on MeTV lately, and it's remarkable how they manage to take a place like Hawaii and make it look so drab and bland. It's at least better than new Five-O in terms of writing, but that's not really a high bar to overcome considering new Five-O is basically Hawaii CTU now (but man is it a gorgeously shot show).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I never had an interest in watching New Girl, but after my roommate told me Damon Waynes Jr. is in the cast now I sat down and watched a few episodes with him yesterday. Pretty drat funny show. Just makes me miss Happy Endings though. :(

It was a better show without him.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sleepy Hollow episode order for season 2 was upped to 15 episodes with plans for 18.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

I've been watching a lot of classic Hawaii Five-O in the afternoons on MeTV lately, and it's remarkable how they manage to take a place like Hawaii and make it look so drab and bland. It's at least better than new Five-O in terms of writing, but that's not really a high bar to overcome considering new Five-O is basically Hawaii CTU now (but man is it a gorgeously shot show).

Hawaii is pretty drab and bland though. I lived there for a year, it was like prison.

Oahu is literally just full of chinese people with a hawaiian accent. And there's so much spam everywhere, you'd think the poo poo grows on trees. Why do Hawaiians love spam so much? This is a question I hope is answered one day. I hate Hawaii.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GreenNight posted:

Sleepy Hollow episode order for season 2 was upped to 15 episodes with plans for 18.

They're either planning to run it longer or with fewer breaks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

*The Baseball Playoffs strokes its beard thoughtfully*

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DivisionPost posted:

15 maybe. 18 seems awfully close to 22-24 though. Hope it's just for this season and 13 is what they plan to work with and never break 20.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

I liked having a shorter episode order with less padding in season 1, I hope they can keep the quality up with a longer order like this.

Ravane posted:

Hawaii is pretty drab and bland though. I lived there for a year, it was like prison.

Oahu is literally just full of chinese people with a hawaiian accent. And there's so much spam everywhere, you'd think the poo poo grows on trees. Why do Hawaiians love spam so much? This is a question I hope is answered one day. I hate Hawaii.

Pretty much every pacific island that was occupied by the US military ends up getting Spam from them and going crazy over it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Today in things that will never happen but get hype anyway news.
Spielberg's Halo series close to a deal with Showtime.

Augh you got gamers in my TV criticism forum!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, the fact that Sleepy Hollow could have plotting along the lines of an FX/HBO/Whatever drama was defintiely a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mu Zeta posted:

Hannibal has a lot of bad fans. Probably 100% crossover with Supernatural fans.

Hannibal Lecter has always had creepy fans, but I think it's never before been like this because Mads Mikkelsen is handsomer than Anthony Hopkins. Also Hugh Dancy is attractive, so all the girls and gay guys with serious issues can ship them.

• Locked thread