Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, I certainly didn't expect any marvel Boy connections. I never cared much for that mini, but I do think Midas is an awesome design.

First issue was okay, mostly setup, but a nice pace and Aaron writes some good, mysterious prose. I'm definitely intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It wasn't a bad first issue, but there aren't many Marvel event books that have bad first issues. It's usually down to whether they can stick the landing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

What would be the Heroes/Villains list of suspects to be able to take down the Watcher?

Heroes: Pretty much all the Avengers/New Avengers, Fantastic Four, Guardians of the Galaxy, Starjammers, SWORD, X-Men, Loki: Agent of Asgard, Thunderbolts and Black Bolt.

Villains: Hydra/AIM, Disciples of Apocalypse, Srulls, Badoon, Spartax, Intelligencia(?), Midas, Exterminatrix and of course Dr. Doom and Maximus the Mad.

Dark horse I would think that it's Nick Fury to be the mastermind doing something like this in order to do some greater good by doing something heinous first.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 7, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's going to be Nick Fury as the master mind, who needs the Watcher's Eyes to do his job and save the universe, enlisting the aid of villains to throw the scent off. Who killed the Watcher though? That'd be triggerman and agent, Uncle Ben. Wait till you see what Agent Stacy's been up to. Basically if they died and were important, Nick's been using them as agents. Their bodies? LMDs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gatts posted:

It's going to be Nick Fury as the master mind, who needs the Watcher's Eyes to do his job and save the universe, enlisting the aid of villains to throw the scent off. Who killed the Watcher though? That'd be triggerman and agent, Uncle Ben. Wait till you see what Agent Stacy's been up to. Basically if they died and were important, Nick's been using them as agents. Their bodies? LMDs.

I would be fine with all of this.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Guys. I'm pretty new at this. What's the deal with those gray things that seem to have developed self awareness via the watcher's eyeball? I get that they used to be mindless monsters, and aren't enjoying the whole "conscious thought" thing very much, but I feel like there's some history I'm missing. Also - who is Dr. Midas, and why are we speculating that he's involved? Based upon a google search, I've gathered that he's a dude who knows how to rock a chunky golden suit of armor.

On another note - did anyone else get a free bouncy watcher eyeball from their comic shop? Or did (oh poo poo SPOILERS?!) my comic book guy kill Uatu?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those are the Mindless Ones, residents of another dimension. And yes, your shop guy is the killer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A_Ruse! posted:

Guys. I'm pretty new at this. What's the deal with those gray things that seem to have developed self awareness via the watcher's eyeball? I get that they used to be mindless monsters, and aren't enjoying the whole "conscious thought" thing very much, but I feel like there's some history I'm missing.

They're called the Mindless Ones. They're mindless, super-strong creatures from the Dark Dimension who are usually used as grunts by Dr. Strange's adversary Dormammu.

quote:

Also - who is Dr. Midas, and why are we speculating that he's involved? Based upon a google search, I've gathered that he's a dude who knows how to rock a chunky golden suit of armor.

Dr. Midas is the villain from a well-regarded miniseries from 2000 called Marvel Boy by Grant Morrison. Morrison has a tendency to write really cool, original poo poo for Marvel and DC that is then rarely, if ever, brought up ever again. Midas and his daughter Oubliette are in that pile. Oubliette recently showed up in Young Avengers, but she was just a fake created out of magic meant to gently caress with Marvel Boy. Dr. Midas was a mad scientist whose deal was that he claimed to be an amazing opportunist who could turn any situation to his use. In the end, he was defeated by Marvel Boy and stranded in the Dark Dimension, where he was seemingly doomed to be murdered by a bunch of Mindless Ones.

Oubliette and Midas have shown up on future covers of Original Sin. Considering the Mindless Ones are being used as henchmen and one of the perps is a woman with red hair (almost definitely Oubliette), it's safe to say that Midas is in some level of command. It turns out he WAS able to use the Mindless Ones to his advantage after all.

The guy talking to Oubliette on that last page appears to be the Orb, an old Ghost Rider villain who has been popping up throughout Jason Aaron's Marvel work. His head is a giant eyeball and he wets the bed.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 8, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
1st issue I suppose but I'm really not feeling this event. Is it an event? Or is it just a kind of smaller level storyline. It should pick up when revelations start coming out but I'm not really enthralled. The Avengers and New Avengers by Hickman on the other hand rocks the gently caress out.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I thought when you pulled the trigger of the Ultimate Nullifier, it destroyed EVERYTHING. There are degrees, I guess?

Really solid issue overall though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

E the Shaggy posted:

I thought when you pulled the trigger of the Ultimate Nullifier, it destroyed EVERYTHING. There are degrees, I guess?

Really solid issue overall though.

I think there needs to be an intelligence behind it for it to be effective. And with the Mindless One's newly emerging mind he might not have been able to use it properly.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I might have missed this but...why the gently caress would you give a Mindless One the Ultimate Nullifier? Or did he sort of wander out with it after ransacking the Watcher's place?

:iiam:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

I might have missed this but...why the gently caress would you give a Mindless One the Ultimate Nullifier? Or did he sort of wander out with it after ransacking the Watcher's place?

:iiam:

Did you read the #0? The Watcher had an arsenal of the most powerful weapons in the universe hidden in his compound. Whomever shot him probably took those weapons as they pointed out the place had been ransacked.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I guess that was an excuse to take the Nullifier off the table. It takes away from all the other crazy poo poo Midas and the rest have stolen.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Rhyno posted:

I think there needs to be an intelligence behind it for it to be effective. And with the Mindless One's newly emerging mind he might not have been able to use it properly.

Right; pretty sure the baseline is it just destroys the user and the target. In this case that's six to one, half a dozen to the other.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Did you read the #0? The Watcher had an arsenal of the most powerful weapons in the universe hidden in his compound. Whomever shot him probably took those weapons as they pointed out the place had been ransacked.

No, I didn't read #0 and #1 already explains what happened but what I mean is whoever is the mastermind behind taking those weapons, why would they let a Mindless One walk around with a Nullifier? What if it points it at the Earth they're on or something? But I should get #0 then too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

No, I didn't read #0 and #1 already explains what happened but what I mean is whoever is the mastermind behind taking those weapons, why would they let a Mindless One walk around with a Nullifier? What if it points it at the Earth they're on or something? But I should get #0 then too.

It's the first of 8 issues dude, isn't it possible that they'll reveal why it had the Nullifier later?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

It's the first of 8 issues dude, isn't it possible that they'll reveal why it had the Nullifier later?

:( It's like the time I was disappointed we didn't get a good Thor vs Sentry fight after the first issue of Siege and d00gZ was like "WTF is wrong with you? They're gonna have a fight in the climax. Duh."

I'm not angry or critical or something though. More amused.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Expecting a fight like that in issue one is pretty unreasonable, to be fair.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

:( It's like the time I was disappointed we didn't get a good Thor vs Sentry fight after the first issue of Siege and d00gZ was like "WTF is wrong with you? They're gonna have a fight in the climax. Duh."

I'm not angry or critical or something though. More amused.

This is Jason Aaron, not Bendis. I'm not worried.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm kinda worried because events bring the worst in people, but so far it's pretty good. Really enjoyed the bear talk at first, and all the odd parings are interesting.

Were Gamora and T'challa dead at some point? Because everyone else that's been hired has been dead at some point and that might be a thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm kinda worried because events bring the worst in people, but so far it's pretty good. Really enjoyed the bear talk at first, and all the odd parings are interesting.

Were Gamora and T'challa dead at some point? Because everyone else that's been hired has been dead at some point and that might be a thing.

Gamora was dead, her current body isn't even her original. I know T'Challa was assumed to be dead at one point.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Emma was never dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Emma was never dead.

Her body was shattered, pretty close to death.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Her body was shattered, pretty close to death.

Also wasn't she killed by a sentinel in 280 before she took over Iceman's mind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Also wasn't she killed by a sentinel in 280 before she took over Iceman's mind.

Yeah, she's come close to death a bunch so she qualifies.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
In all fairness, most marvel characters have been pretty dead at one point or another, if you were putting together a team of resurrected MVPs you might as well throw Thor and Iron Man on there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Recently in FF, there was a scene where Ant-Man bitched out Uatu for not doing anything when Stature was killed. While it being Ant-Man might be a little too easy, I expect that one of the heroes was behind Uatu's death because they think he's a piece of poo poo for not interfering. The world is full of suffering and he does nothing to stop it when he's more than capable of helping out.

I'd almost think Castle would fit if it didn't involve having to work with villains.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just can't believe the Orb's involved with this. I mean, I get that his whole schtick is eyes, and apparently he was actually an interesting villain in Aaron's Ghost Rider, but the only thing I've seen him in was Aaron's Hulk and he was totally a gag villain that was there to get wailed on. It'd be like Paste Pot Pete enslaving Manhattan.

Also the hero working with them will be revealed to be Richard Rider. The reveal will be a splash panel of him yelling at Gamora "Did no one even loving look for me?"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

You need to get your hands on Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine where The Orb gets some time travel gems and moves up in the world. It's kind of been a steady growth for the character throughout all of Aaron's books to just get more powerful as time goes on.

Plus y'know it's a really fun book.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Rhyno posted:

Those are the Mindless Ones, residents of another dimension. And yes, your shop guy is the killer.

No minds, but instinctive rythm.

I think people give them a hard time, honestly.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 8, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Does Ant-Man ever do the whole travel through phone lines thing that The Atom does?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Waterhaul posted:

You need to get your hands on Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine where The Orb gets some time travel gems and moves up in the world. It's kind of been a steady growth for the character throughout all of Aaron's books to just get more powerful as time goes on.

Also, Spider-Man and Wolverine are both in movies this month.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Gatts posted:

So by the way: there's also a Marvel character named Ultimate Nullifier. Is he related to the weapon(s) at all? http://marvel.wikia.com/Ultimate_Nullifier_(Teen_Brigade)_(Earth-616)

edit: VVV cool, thanks!

onefish fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 8, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

onefish posted:

So by the way: there's also a Marvel character named Ultimate Nullifier. Is he related to the weapon(s) at all? http://marvel.wikia.com/Ultimate_Nullifier_(Teen_Brigade)_(Earth-616)

His guns are styled after the original device but I don't think he's really linked to it other than naming himself after it. You should read that mini, it's excellent.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Waterhaul posted:

I got that book for five bucks at my local comic book store and it had turned into one of my favorite books in a while, and yeah The Orb is great in it.

I really liked issue 0 and issue 1 of original sin. It had a good mixture of fun and serious and the weird character team ups is an interesting idea.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rhyno posted:

I think it was kinda implied that who shot Uatu and who ransacked his place were totally different people.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

coconono posted:

I think it was kinda implied that who shot Uatu and who ransacked his place were totally different people.

I hadn't even thought of this, you're completely right. I guess Mysterious Shooter and Team Ransack (who I assume to be Dr. Midas, Oubliette and Orb) each have an eye?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I honestly through Moon Knight was talking to himself before it showed up on the ship with Bucky. I also enjoyed Cap complaining about the size of his steak and having to run it off. Also, bears.

And yea, I hope it does turn out that the people who ransacked the Blue Area Fortress are not the same people who shot them, because we already know who it was and that removes all the mystery from the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The most shocking twists usually come from people you don't expect. In this situation, i'm going to say Nick Fury fits that bill perfectly. He doesn't ask to go along with everyone, Cap puts him in charge, he's the exact type of guy who'd do a means justify the ends type reasoning as to why he had to kill the watcher and take one of his eyes. Calling in a second group to come ransack the place and cover his tracks is right up his alley and he can always use the out that it's another LMD gone bad like Max Fury.

• Locked thread