Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Protip for Masterwork Warlocks: If upgrade your skeletons to ironbone/bloodsteel/dreadnought, as far as I can tell you can't repair them/resurrect them any more, which was a huge kick in the balls after all the work I put into doing it. Upgrading them also normalizes their attributes (not their skills) so if you had a skeleton with 3000 agility, oops now it could be 250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
In Masterwork Warlocks, should I raise agility and strength, or is it only really worth raising agility?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have no idea really :shrug:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

05/06/2014 - "Real-world health is all back to normal, which is good. Stopped a problem whereby starting a dwarf adventurer in a deep site sometimes landed you on a mountain top. Broadened adv depot item choice a bit. Fixed some new dwarf mode skill-gain issues (e.g. skills based on spotting sneakers were all out of whack). Fixed a subset of migrants that had broken dreams and values. Patched up markets that had developed some new problems. Along with the bug fixes, there are various checks we're getting through relatively unscathed. For instance, I made myself super-fast and ran just far enough that my companions were offloaded and they were still able to catch up eventually (spending a moment in army form). They also found their way home when I fired them without issues." - Toady One, Bay12Games

I want to read more about broken dreams and values, and how this affects dwarfs and their fortress. :allears:

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Urist McDwarf cancels become Legendary Engraver: pursuing more realistic and stable career as carpenter after growing up with a nagging mother and emotionally absent father. :smith:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nietzschean posted:

I want to read more about broken dreams and values, and how this affects dwarfs and their fortress. :allears:
Urist Brokendreams yearns for a *gibberish, game crashes*

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Nietzschean posted:

I'm pretty sure my dwarves have broken values, re: They know everything about giant jaguars in history (even if they have no actual friends).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Engravers get fixated on too few historical events. It's dull.

I'd like to have a way to designate between "carve ancient History" "detail fortress events" and "just doodle something".

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

scamtank posted:

Engravers get fixated on too few historical events. It's dull.

I'd like to have a way to designate between "carve ancient History" "detail fortress events" and "just doodle something".

It would be nice if the engravings had something to do with their personality type. Introverts would engrave history, extroverts would engrave their own personal experiences and likes, and balanced personalities would engrave the broadest range of subjects.

I think it's a bit creepy when a dwarf makes a statue or engraving of another member of the fortress surrounded by the animals the subject most detests.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Suicide Sam E. posted:

It would be nice if the engravings had something to do with their personality type. Introverts would engrave history, extroverts would engrave their own personal experiences and likes, and balanced personalities would engrave the broadest range of subjects.

I think it's a bit creepy when a dwarf makes a statue or engraving of another member of the fortress surrounded by the animals the subject most detests.

One of my engravers engraved one other dwarf's room with pictures of elephants—an animal which terrified that room's occupant.

I can only imagine the horror that poor dwarf had to go through every night. I probably could have given him a new room, though.

e: I like to think the engraver just really hated that dwarf and this was a lovely way to escalate their feud.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 7, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

edit: Holy crap that was from 07

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

AXE COP posted:

Or if you're a big cheating baby like me who plays with fastdwarf 1 0 on all the time. Slag just disappears in no time!

I love fastdwarf since my playing time is limited, but it bothers me that it pretty much makes dwarves invincible on combat. They are too fast for enemies to keep up with, both in terms of movement speed and in terms of how fast they swing.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Dmaonk posted:

I love fastdwarf since my playing time is limited, but it bothers me that it pretty much makes dwarves invincible on combat. They are too fast for enemies to keep up with, both in terms of movement speed and in terms of how fast they swing.

Just tell yourself that your dwarves are the ubermensch and the fort you're setting up is actually a colony for supers.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Just tell yourself that your dwarves are the ubermensch and the fort you're setting up is actually a colony for supers.

But my poor chief medical dwarf and his assistants have nothing to do :( I suppose I could try increasing enemy combat skills in the Masterwork launcher?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Dmaonk posted:

But my poor chief medical dwarf and his assistants have nothing to do :( I suppose I could try increasing enemy combat skills in the Masterwork launcher?

Yeah bruh, make the enemies the Sentinels to your X-Dwarfs.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
It'll be better in the next patch where movement speed and combat speed are dissociated.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Boing posted:

It'll be better in the next patch where movement speed and combat speed are dissociated.

Oh sweet. I don't like watching my dwarves trundle after wildlife all day, but I don't want them to be combat gods either.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If its play time you are worried about you could just increase the FPS cap, buy an expensive processor, overclock it and run the game at 500FPS until blood is everywhere and you are getting 15FPS. It wouldn't be cheating, but at the same time it would be hilariously costly, and you'd likely still slow down once your fort gets large.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

pixaal posted:

If its play time you are worried about you could just increase the FPS cap, buy an expensive processor, overclock it and run the game at 500FPS until blood is everywhere and you are getting 15FPS. It wouldn't be cheating, but at the same time it would be hilariously costly, and you'd likely still slow down once your fort gets large.

The way a fort runs at crowd capacity makes me yearn for the starting days of my fortress. Also makes me consider changing my population caps next game.

Hm. Is there a way to alter the maximum number of hostiles showing up for a siege, or would I just be shooting myself in the foot by depopulating my future fort?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Are the concrete blocks you get from the slag pit magma-safe?

e. Bummer they are not. Rip my pump stack

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 7, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

What do you guys have your pop cap set to and what do you consider acceptable FPS? Just out of curiosity.

I'm usually at around 120, ~40-50 fps

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

1, and 10000000 babies.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I guess 250 plus probably equal that amount in livestock.

For a while I was at 100 babies and hating my life. Say goodbye to booze and any new clothes you happen to make.

I do not get great FPS I reckon.

I haven't changed any of the defaults, although I did increase the gem instance one notch to make the game more interesting and give my jewelers something to do apart from cut glass.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hah 40FPS in my dreams. Bronzestabbed's cap is above 350 and I'm delighted if I can get FPS up above 12.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I got a warlock child which is pretty adorable in concept, I'm gonna try and get her appointed as Overload if it will let me so I can have the Childlike Empress.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Halfway done getting magma up 145+ levels to the surface. Then we'll see who rules the realm.

Anyone ever form & pour an obsidian tower? I'm thinking of doing it, since I'll be close to that point anyhow. Plus, hey - unlimited stone.

More and more kids are growing up, too. I suppose now is the time to level up their skills before they become necessary to replace older, skilled dwarves? A lot of them are already adequate farmers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Anyone ever form & pour an obsidian tower? I'm thinking of doing it, since I'll be close to that point anyhow. Plus, hey - unlimited stone.

Plus, you can engrave the whole god damned thing. :v:

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Welcome to Frillwall!

The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird charges at The Kobold Thief!
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird bites The Kobold Thief in the left lower arm, tearing apart the fat!
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird collides with The Kobold Thief!
The Kobold Thief is knocked over and tumbles backward!
The Kobold Thief is no longer stunned.
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird grabs The Kobold Thief by the right upper arm with his left wing!
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird grabs The Kobold Thief by the first finger, left hand with her left wing!
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird locks The Kobold Thief's right shoulder with The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird's left wing!
The Kobold Thief stands up.
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird throws The Kobold Thief by the first finger, left hand with The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird's left wing!
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird releases the grip of The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird's left wing from The Kobold Thief's right upper arm.
The Kobold Thief's lower body skids along the ground, bruising the muscle and bruising the stomach through the ({small giant cave spider silk tunic})!

The Kobold Thief slams into an obstacle!
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird bites The Kobold Thief in the upper body, tearing the muscle through the ({small giant cave spider silk tunic})!
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird latches on firmly!
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird grabs The Kobold Thief by the left hand with her left wing!
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird shakes The Kobold Thief around by the upper body, tearing apart the upper body's muscle!
An artery in the upper body has been opened by the attack!
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird locks the Kobold Thief's left wrist with The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird's left wing!
The Kobold Thief stands up.
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird bends The Kobold Thief's left hand with The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird's left wing, shattering the left wrist's bone!
A ligament in the left wrist has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Stray Giant Peach-faced Lovebird shakes The Kobold Thief around by the upper body, tearing apart the upper body's muscle!
An artery in the upper body has been opened by the attack!

The Stray Black Bear charges at The Kobold Thief!
The Stray Black Bear bites The Kobold Thief in the head, tearing the muscle!
The Stray Black Bear collides with The Kobold Thief!
The Kobold Thief is knocked over and tumbles backward!
The Kobold Thief gives in to pain.
The Stray Black Bear bites The Kobold Thief in the head, tearing the muscle, bruising the skull!
The Stray Black Bear latches on firmly to The Kobold Thief's throat!
The Stray Black Bear shakes The Kobold Thief around by the throat, tearing apart the throat!
A major artery in the throat has been opened by the attack!
The Stray Giant Jaguar scratches The Kobold Thief in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and bruising the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!

This is a bad day for Krubeelbis, Kobold Thief.

TL;DR: Those animals the elves bring are more than just food and happy thoughts for a few dwarves. They are also great for hostile stragglers and low-risk entertainment.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
:suspense:
Thats one hell of a lovebird!

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Welcome to Frillwall!

Kobold Evisceration

This is a bad day for Krubeelbis, Kobold Thief.

TL;DR: Those animals the elves bring are more than just food and happy thoughts for a few dwarves. They are also great for hostile stragglers and low-risk entertainment.

This is why I always pasture all of my war-trainable animals (and train them) in my courtyard. Who needs a military when your farm animals can decimate an entire siege singlehandedly?

Something tells me that you would like Masterwork Gnome Fortress.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I don't know what happened in my attempt at Gnome Fortress, but I was trundling along and all of a sudden was at like -5000 with nature and couldn't get any higher no matter what I released. I don't know if I had a bunch of guys decide to go hunting or what, but it sucked.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Y'all have almost sold me on masterwork. I love DF but it would be nice if once a year a version was released where the main attention had been making a stable game - addressing known bugs, taking care of new bugs before beginning new content, cleaning up the menus maybe once in a lifetime..

Y'know, something to draw in new players, a release which wouldn't require announcements of what bugs had returned and which were now made worse.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Just try it. You won't be sorry. Just make sure to play dwarves a few times before you try any other race, and skim through the manual to see what it changes.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I love Gnomoria and I've put like 100+ hours into it. I wish it was more complex and had more content. I've tried playing Dwarf Fortress at least 5 times over the past two years yet I cannot get the game to click with me. I can start setting up my base with a basic layout but eventually I kinda get lost where I should go or how I should properly set up my base. I liked designing bases and making an efficient work system in Gnomoria.

I've watched several LPs but they all seem to cover the basic concepts but don't go into ideas like good base layout, or strategies and stuff to work towards. Should I just make an entire floor of workshops and have the floor above it be just a huge messy stockpile? Is there a way I can make stockpiles have priority over others so I can have a small stockpile next to a workshop and have excess stuff stored on another floor? Is there a general rule for stones as far as which are important and which can just be dumped?

Are there any LPs that might help me out? Even a video where someone just explains how they've built their base might help me out a lot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Suicide Sam E. posted:

It's a lot of work, you need to do it layer by layer. Otherwise you'll end up with a layer of obsidian capping your tower full of lava.

However the end result would be totally awesome.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Zereth posted:

It's a lot of work, you need to do it layer by layer. Otherwise you'll end up with a layer of obsidian capping your tower full of lava.

However the end result would be totally awesome.

I built an obsidian bridge once, just because I thought it would look cool over the river. Looking back, I must have been in some kind of fugue state to get the magma to the surface without it seeming to take forever.

I no longer recall how I managed to get the forms for the water/lava... Maybe I just never removed the ones from the bottom? Or used an excess of grates and micromanagement?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Drevoak posted:

I've watched several LPs but they all seem to cover the basic concepts but don't go into ideas like good base layout, or strategies and stuff to work towards. Should I just make an entire floor of workshops and have the floor above it be just a huge messy stockpile? Is there a way I can make stockpiles have priority over others so I can have a small stockpile next to a workshop and have excess stuff stored on another floor? Is there a general rule for stones as far as which are important and which can just be dumped?

Are there any LPs that might help me out? Even a video where someone just explains how they've built their base might help me out a lot.

I don't know about informative DF LPs, but I can tell you what I try to do in my fortresses. Most of my fort is built around a central 3x3 stairwell to allow for lots of traffic going up and down, and to try to reduce the distance between things from one floor to another. Each floor is usually dedicated for something, and I try not to extend too far away from the stairwell in any one direction. Near the entrance of my fort I usually place my Trade Depot, within the fortress' defenses so if I'm sieged while the caravan's present I can usually conduct business in safety by locking the fort down. Near the Trade Depot I have a large general-purpose stockpile, which holds anything that isn't stockpiled anywhere else (when I start the fort, it usually holds everything, and as I add workshops and expand it holds less and less until its mostly just furniture and junk.) On the next few levels down I have floors for various workshops, with small stockpiles immediately surrounding them, and overflow stockpiles placed on floors above/below, connected to the workshops via staircases. I've another floor for the dining hall, kitchens, stills, and meeting hall, and further down I have 4 or so floors dedicated to bedrooms. It's a good idea to keep bedrooms far away from workshops and digging sites, as being too close to such activity can give sleeping dwarves Unhappy Thoughts.

And yeah there are ways to make stockpiles take priority and draw from other stockpiles -- the DF Wiki is a good resource for looking up how to setup stockpile Give/Take rules.

As far as what stones are important is concerned, the only stones that are 'important' are stones that are magma-safe, and that's only if you're using them for any sort of buildings or mechanisms that come in contact with magma, such as screw pumps, grates, mechanisms, bridges, etc. You can easily look up what stones are magma-safe on the wiki. As far as stockpiling stones is concerned, I just use a quantum stockpile to deal with all the stone I have.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I no longer recall how I managed to get the forms for the water/lava... Maybe I just never removed the ones from the bottom?
Most likely. Pretty sure you're not getting whatever the floor is back out unless you actually fill the level below where you want the obsidian, drain it afterwards, and deconstruct the stuff. Which seems like a lot of work to get some crappy wood or whatever back.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Neurion posted:

I don't know about informative DF LPs, but I can tell you what I try to do in my fortresses. Most of my fort is built around a central 3x3 stairwell to allow for lots of traffic going up and down, and to try to reduce the distance between things from one floor to another.

I cannot stress enough to build landings in your giant stairwells. Landings are the difference between your dwarves falling and breaking their legs, and falling down to the bottom and exploding in a spray of blood.
:psydwarf:
I don't know why dwarves fall down stairs like they were empty air, but they do.

Also, I second the ridiculous 3x3 stairwell/stairwells. Your dwarves and war animals will fly between the Z-levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I cannot stress enough to build landings in your giant stairwells. Landings are the difference between your dwarves falling and breaking their legs, and falling down to the bottom and exploding in a spray of blood.
:psydwarf:
I don't know why dwarves fall down stairs like they were empty air, but they do.

Also, I second the ridiculous 3x3 stairwell/stairwells. Your dwarves and war animals will fly between the Z-levels.

Just make sure your 3x3 stairwell doesn't extend all the way into the caverns, unless you build walls around it to keep out unwanted visitors. If a hostile appears anywhere in the stairwell, all your dwarves will refuse to use the stairs out of fear. So either have a defended hallway leading into the caverns, or have multiple redundant stairwells!