Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Trolls trolls trolls

Reports from Mike Mayock: Marcus Mariota still #1 on Cowboys draft board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Literally everyone is lying about everything and I wanna archive what every beat reporter says today prior to the draft so we can go over how wrong they were

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The Cowboys won't ever win poo poo wtih Jones/Garrett so gently caress it draft Manziel. QB Controversy. Funslinging. Cowboys football.

I wouldn't mind it if for no other reason I'd like to see the meltdown and subsequent bloodbath from Dallas fans, it would be kind of amazing really

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Draft bullshit is reaching maximum potency.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Literally everyone is lying about everything and I wanna archive what every beat reporter says today prior to the draft so we can go over how wrong they were
There's no accountability, so it doesn't much matter. Draft Day is the perfect time for character assassinations and value depression through smoke screens or false leaked info. Most beat writers only say what a team tells them to say under the guise of 'insider information.'

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

This is why I favorited Kiper's mock.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
On the one hand I should be mad that the Browns would trade down to get Carr. On the other hand...Browns.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This would honestly be interesting to see over the years. We all have a feel for who the team false information/report whatever mouthpieces are but I'd like to see it laid out.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

This would honestly be interesting to see over the years. We all have a feel for who the team false information/report whatever mouthpieces are but I'd like to see it laid out.

It was probably a bit more truthful prior to the new rookie salary cap since the top picks would be negotiating contracts prior to the draft so it was a bit obvious most years how the top would shake out.

Though Luck was also pretty set in stone which means probably only like a quarter of draft articles were about how they wouldn't take him.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
This is the longest eight hours.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So in actual draft news Miami won't be draft ioujabunhggh whatever the right tackle is named. His medical stuff received a failing grade. That's literally the only hard info I got this year.

I just haven't had time or desire to dive into it. Oh and Miami will like pick Lee if their top three prospects are gone. They are a TE a tackle and a tackle.

I think it's gonna be shazer but who knows

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You think they'd take Shazer over Mosely if both were still available?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

2012 every single local and national writer was saying the Jets were desperately trying to trade up for Melvin Ingram. They ended up staying put and even passed on Ingram when he was still there.

I don't believe any of this OBJ nonsense.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

I've talked about this so many times!!!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You think they'd take Shazer over Mosely if both were still available?

Everything seems to point to them trading down in certain scenarios. Croyle has demonstrated a serious love affair with athletic linebackers which is shazer. But I think that's a trade down pick.

Boomer on FH has great connections and the rumor is Miami is looking at "playmakers" in the first two days

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
RE: Stanley Jean-Baptiste: I'll be happy as hell for him if he goes tonight, but I saw nothing from him during his time at Nebraska that justifies him as a first-round pick.

But the Richard Sherman comparisons are being drawn and, well...

Does Weeden qualify as a bust

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That makes sense. I definitely want the Ravens to trade down barring some pretty amazing falls but it seems like everyone in our range wants out so it wouldn't surprise me if only one of Dallas, Baltimore, New York, and Miami are able to get out of there.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006

Real Name Grover posted:

Does Weeden qualify as a bust

Can you really be a bust if no one expected much from you?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

only temporary posted:

Can you really be a bust if no one expected much from you?

he was in fact drafted in the first round so SOMEONE expected something out of him

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I wonder how leaking out fake scoops to beat reporters even works. Like, here's a tweet from Joe Buscaglia, who is normally a very reliable beat reporter:

quote:

Sources: Beckham, Jr. in serious consideration for Bills at 9

If we know that everything said the past few months is bullshit, surely he does, too. So, what, he gets a call from someone in the Bills' FO, who says something like "Hi Joe. Oooh, I shouldn't tell you this, keep my identity secret, but that Odell kid? We're thinking about taking him at 9!" Then, while probably having an inkling that he's getting played, he dutifully reports it? Is it just about page views? Or is there some sort of unspoken agreement that beat reporters just play along with this poo poo in exchange for their access during the regular season?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Alouicious posted:

he was in fact drafted in the first round so SOMEONE expected something out of him

I always assumed it was an issue of illegible hand writing that the Browns refused to cop to.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jason La Canfora is tipping picks again, so you should probably unfollow him if you care about that sort of thing.

The ESPN and NFLN guys are staying silent. I don't know about Jay Glazer yet.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Only time all year JLC has accurate breaking info so he better eat this up

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The idea of the Panthers trading out of the first round seems to be picking up steam, which I would be fine with. Getting more picks could allow us to more easily double-dip at WR/OT/DB, and it's doubtful any of the guys we're in love with would still be around at 28 anyway.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

Jason La Canfora is tipping picks again, so you should probably unfollow him if you care about that sort of thing.

also you should not care about that sort of thing because really

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Since I'll be at work I guess I'll give JLC a follow and then unfollow him tomorrow morning.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MourningView posted:

Not again!! *bowtie spins*

Here's what reporters said about Ryan Nassib the week of the draft

quote:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported on Total Access the Jaguars "are taking" Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib if he's available at No. 33.

Rapport believes -- maybe more accurately knows -- Nassib would be Jacksonville's selection at the top of round two. Nassib isn't going to make it there, though, and rookie GM Dave Caldwell is unlikely to trade up for him while working with just seven picks. The Jags are obviously high on Nassib. They're simply not going to get him.

quote:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 that the Bills are "more likely than not" to select Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib at No. 8 overall.

"I think the speculation is on the mark," said Mort. "I think the Buffalo Bills at No. 8 could make Nassib the first quarterback chosen in this draft. ... I think that has a better chance of happening than not."

quote:

"I know one thing for sure in talking to people around the league," Paolantonio reported. "The Buffalo Bills want Ryan Nassib. But they're very concerned the Jets will take him later in the first round. So the Bills may be forced to take him at No. 8."

quote:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib is "definitely in play" for the Bills at No. 8.

quote:

Following his annual pre-draft Quarterback Camp series, ESPN's Jon Gruden ranked Syracuse's Ryan Nassib as the No. 1 QB in this year's draft.

Ryan Nassib, pick #110, fourth round

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 2h
I predict that next season, whether he's playing or not, Manziel's jersey will be the No. 1 seller in the NFL. You watch.

Ehhhhhhh maybe

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

I predict that next season, whether he's playing or not, Manziel's jersey will be the No. 1 seller in the NFL. You watch.

Ehhhhhhh maybe

If he doesn't play then probably not, but if he does (and I assume he probably will) that seems like a pretty safe bet.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If Dallas really wants JFF, ship Romo to like Cleveland or Jacksonville and let him bring those glorious franchises to the promised land. Also many picks because that contract tells us how much he's truly worth. Then Jerry Jones can complete his transformation into the new Al Davis.

It would also have the awesome bonus of Dallas fans who have hated Romo forever getting to watch him get murdered with those awful teams. They'd eat that poo poo up.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

People please stop suggesting the Cowboys trade Romo, they literally can't without destroying their cap

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

I think the exception this was Chris Berman spoiling the picks live on TV as they cut away to the podium because that was loving stupid

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

WGR 550 Buffalo's Joe Buscaglia believes the Bills' pick at No. 8 overall is a "two-horse race" between Ryan Nassib and Matt Barkley.

Buscaglia is a plugged-in Bills beat writer and reporter. He says Buffalo "likes Barkley a lot," and it sounds like the two quarterbacks are neck-and-neck to go eighth overall.

quote:

According to ProFootballTalk.com, the "thinking in league circles" is that the Jaguars are targeting USC's Matt Barkley or Syracuse's Ryan Nassib with the No. 33 overall pick.

quote:

ESPN's Bill Williamson is "hearing a lot of chatter" about the Raiders targeting USC QB Matt Barkley at No. 42.

quote:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on SportsCenter that he expects USC QB Matt Barkley and Mississippi State CB Johnthan Banks to be on the Jaguars' radar at No. 33 overall.

quote:

Both NFL Network's Albert Breer and SI's Peter King believe the Bills may prefer Matt Barkley to Ryan Nassib. King believes Buffalo is "seriously targeting" Barkley.

Matt Barkley, pick #98, 4th round pick

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Intruder posted:

Ehhhhhhh maybe

I could see it if he ends up in a place like Dallas. But not the smaller markets like Jacksonville.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Goetta posted:

I think the exception this was Chris Berman spoiling the picks live on TV as they cut away to the podium because that was loving stupid

My favorite thing about that was he always framed it in a "The team needs a player with X qualities who plays X position, now let's see who they picked" so he could look like he was a genius at mocking the pick instead of having the information already

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I have two immensely irritating coworkers who love to be the first to "break" news at all times, so draft night is pretty unbearable because of them. Every TV in the building is tuned to the draft; just loving chill and stop "scooping" ESPN via your Twitter feed when we're all (mostly) trying to get work done and will hear the name called in 30 seconds anyway. I'm not fond of online spoilers either, but at least those are more easily avoided.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Matt Barkley must regret coming back to school for that last year.From a 1rd prospect all the way down to the 4th round.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 3m
Three NFL teams have told Zach Mettenberger they have him rated in top half of the second round, according to a source

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Burger Trench posted:

I wonder how leaking out fake scoops to beat reporters even works. Like, here's a tweet from Joe Buscaglia, who is normally a very reliable beat reporter:

If we know that everything said the past few months is bullshit, surely he does, too. So, what, he gets a call from someone in the Bills' FO, who says something like "Hi Joe. Oooh, I shouldn't tell you this, keep my identity secret, but that Odell kid? We're thinking about taking him at 9!" Then, while probably having an inkling that he's getting played, he dutifully reports it? Is it just about page views? Or is there some sort of unspoken agreement that beat reporters just play along with this poo poo in exchange for their access during the regular season?

Page views on Twitter are beyond meaningless. But there is a feeling among journalists that the public deserves to know (even if it's just, the public deserves to know what your source is saying) and there's a potential for wanting to please the source and not insult him/her by treating the information as not credible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Matt Barkley, pick #98, 4th round pick

If I start a thread for this after the draft, would you want to help me work back through this draft and the previous one and add these up?

• Locked thread