Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I'm having trouble tracking down a Ken Nordine work. It probably doesn't qualify for a song, but I can't think of another place to ask and my search isn't getting far.

The piece was about being trapped on an island with a large cat (of mountain lion/cougar sorts) and the evolution of the interactions between the two. Eventually, and sadly, he is 'rescued' from the island and the cave of this large animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

Can anyone identify this mid-90s vocal house song? Apologies for the dodgy quality.

I thought it was called 'love to infinity' but Google doesn't find any songs by that name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNuEXyjTmIM

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Boi Hole posted:

Can anyone identify this mid-90s vocal house song? Apologies for the dodgy quality.

I thought it was called 'love to infinity' but Google doesn't find any songs by that name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNuEXyjTmIM
If I remember right, there was a group called Love to Infinity who sounded a lot like that but I've no idea about that specific song.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I'm looking for a song that I saw linked on youtube somewhere on the forums in the past year. I don't remember the album, song name, or artist name, but I kind of remember what it sounded like and what the album cover looked like.

I have no idea what genre it was, but it was electronic and pretty experimental. I don't think there were vocals. It was pretty high distortion, dark, and atonal. It was the type of thing the vast majority of people would call noise, and hate having to listen to.

The cover was just a black drawing on some solid color background (olive green maybe?), and the drawing was of a bird. I think there was something "gross" about it, too, but I can't remember.

If anyone can somehow find this album from my terrible description, that would be incredible and I'd be pretty grateful.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

paco650 posted:

I've been having trouble finding the title and artist because I don't speak any French and wasn't alive when it was released. 60's French Pop-rock but not yé-yé, so no luck there. Phonetically searching for lyrics has turned up amusing but unhelpful results.

Thanks in advance for any help!
This was a while ago so I hope you're still checking the thread, I found the song. It's Loin de Moi by Les Lutins

It's a really nice song

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I'm looking for an upbeat pop/electronic song that isn't older than five years I think. It has a recurring trumpet theme. Its got kind of a rumenian or gypsy theme. I think the name of the band or name of the song has "gypsy" or something with that connotation in it.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 11, 2014

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

Not a viking posted:

I'm looking for an upbeat pop/electronic song that isn't older than five years I think. It has a recurring trumpet theme. Its got kind of a rumenian or gypsy theme. I think the name of the band or name of the song has "gypsy" or something with that connotation in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR8logunPzQ ?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Paperhouse posted:

This was a while ago so I hope you're still checking the thread, I found the song. It's Loin de Moi by Les Lutins

It's a really nice song

I'll PM him about it for you! I'll make sure that he knows it was you found it!

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

It's a really nice song

Ah, thank you! Been looking forever, now I'm gonna dig into their discography. Kudos to you and MegaZeroX!

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
NSFW (rear end shaking)

Can anyone identify the hip hop/rap song at the start of the video? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP0qTxSJPjs

gnarledfingers
Nov 9, 2007

Laugh, and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone
This isn't a song identification request, so much as a genre/harmony/song component request.

I really like when two singers sing in harmony, but their voices seem to... oscillate?

I have done a bit of research, and I believe it to be counterharmony, but I can't find anyone that has focused on the sound I am pursuing. Frankly, I am ignorant regarding the elements of music, so I am sure oscillating is a red herring of some kind. I am probably conflating tone and pitch, too. Ugh.

The four songs I know of that have the quality/element I really like are as follows:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYQaD2CAi9A

While I don't find it to be the greatest example of what I want, it is close enough that I think it's a famous, widely analyzed example.

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6fs_Qt05XI

Far and away, this is my favorite example of the song element I am so giddy about. From my layman's perspective, I like the harmony, but it's lilting rise and fall of their tones. I really adore this song, and I'm at my wit's end trying to search out what makes the song so appealing.

I guess you could say it... struck a chord in me.

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDMBtQjS1bQ

I am having frustrating difficulty making the link work, insofar as linking to the exact time I want to focus on. It's at the 2:44 mark. Again, it's two women singing in some semblance of harmony, but it's this rise and fall of tone, and the fact that there are two voices of different pitch. I don't think vocals of more than two voices easily carries this sound.

4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W752COil320

Least known of the four, this song is another example of what I like. It's not the fact that the song is a round (like row, row, row your boat) that I enjoy, it's that rise and fall of the duet.

I've tried looking on Youtube for a year or so, and very rarely stumble on examples of that, and typically music sites discussing elements of music go over my head. I have suspected that it may be interval, disharmony, counterharmony, or double variation, but it's difficult to find music without having dense explanation of composers using it a few hundred years ago.

Can anyone help me figure out what it is I like so much?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

gnarledfingers posted:

genre/harmony/song component request

I am not sure if this is what you're after, but "Scarborough Fair" is a famous example of counterpoint. There is a harmonic relationship between verses that are rhythmically independent from one another. In this case, they're literally singing two different songs--"Scarborough Fair" and "Canticle"--but they've arranged and performed it so there is harmony between them. It creates a nice effect because there are moments that feel discordant, moments when you can tell clearly they're not singing the same thing. But then it resolves to a nice harmonized section.

If this sounds like it might be what you're after, there's tons of stuff on YouTube about counterpoint. It's more common in classical and jazz, but you should be able to find enough examples to see if this is what you like.

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002
Looking for the name of what I think is an old-school rap or maybe dancehall song. Similar in vibe to "Let me Clear my Throat" by DJ Kool.

The sample music hook is deep bass, "bum bum bum bum" or "ba ba ba ba." Like it does "bum bum bum bum," pauses, and repeats the same thing again. Slow-ish, not too fast. Definitely 4 beats to it.

Unfortunately don't know any words or who did it. And I'm having a hard time identifying the instrument making the music hook. I guess it's electronic-ish, a little bit grindy.

Sorry so vague. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

mdaddy
Jun 20, 2006
This is a recording I took of a live performance in Kazakhstan at a cultural event at a museum.

I would like to know the original name of the song/artist so I can download a copy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nq34liq8um26llu/Russian.or.Kazakh.mp3

It must be either Russian or Kazakh language (I speak neither).

Thanks!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
E. posted in my pocket, sorry.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 18, 2014

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I heard a song on the radio when I was driving home tonight. The station was 89.3 "The Current" out of Minneapolis or somewhere in the Twin Cities. They play everything from new stuff by local bands, to 1950s blues, to French pop from the late 60s, so I have no idea which era/genre this song is from. It is a female singer and the words I think I remember are "You don't know the death of my soul" and then "death of my soul" was repeated several times through the song. The style of the singing and music was along the sames lines as Yello - The Rhythm Divine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmMGODfhc0.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

SkunkDuster posted:

I heard a song on the radio when I was driving home tonight. The station was 89.3 "The Current" out of Minneapolis or somewhere in the Twin Cities. They play everything from new stuff by local bands, to 1950s blues, to French pop from the late 60s, so I have no idea which era/genre this song is from. It is a female singer and the words I think I remember are "You don't know the death of my soul" and then "death of my soul" was repeated several times through the song. The style of the singing and music was along the sames lines as Yello - The Rhythm Divine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmMGODfhc0.

Maybe what you heard was Thievery Corporation - Depth of My Soul

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That's it, thanks! Also explains why searching "death of my soul" wasn't turning up anything on google.

Optional Options
Apr 13, 2011
Im looking for an album posted by a goon several years ago. It was electronic music about robots, I believe. No lyrics I remember but a lot of people posting were saying it was the perfect sex music. Thats really all I remember but I've been searching in vain for a long time now and finally decided to consult this thread. There could have been two albums by this goon but it was definitely released for free at one point and any help would be appreciated.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
I'm looking for a track from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlXIDz_gqKQ

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Captain Swing posted:

I'm looking for a track from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlXIDz_gqKQ

Henry Green - Electric Feel (Kygo Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFSRVQywibs

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

Many thanks!

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I'm looking for the song from the first 4 seconds of this track. I thought it was Last Legs from Half Life 2, but this one is much deeper.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Spergminer posted:

I'm looking for the song from the first 4 seconds of this track. I thought it was Last Legs from Half Life 2, but this one is much deeper.

That's the intro to Black Skinhead by Kanye West.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
I'm looking for a song that appeared in Skins (uk) season 5, episode 1 (around the 6 minutes mark). It's the scene with Franky in the changing room.
My problem is that if i look for that info online all I get is the song Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood, but the version in netflix (at least in spanish) has a completely different song.

(sorry for the lovely quality) http://youtu.be/0YwyxY07XJc

Any ideas? thanks!

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older

Plydoh posted:

I'm looking for a song that appeared in Skins (uk) season 5, episode 1 (around the 6 minutes mark). It's the scene with Franky in the changing room.
My problem is that if i look for that info online all I get is the song Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood, but the version in netflix (at least in spanish) has a completely different song.

(sorry for the lovely quality) http://youtu.be/0YwyxY07XJc

Any ideas? thanks!

Lean Honey Lean by Ace Reporter

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

Amazing. Thanks!

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

a song with hotdog in the main chorus

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dudes! posted:

a song with hotdog in the main chorus

Prefab Sprout - The King of Rock & Roll

e: egads, I was snookered.

Okay, a question, then: Heard a song some years back in a vaguely indie-rock vein, I could have sworn the lyrics involved something about moving to California because there was a lot of room there. I've googled for basically every combination of those words or synonyms thereof and come up with jack poo poo.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 5, 2014

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
This is a long shot, but I'll try. A while ago some goons made slow-paced covers of Street Fighter II's music. I think they had an accordion or a harmonica and they put the whole thing up on Bandcamp. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I heard the most aggressively bad Beatles covers back to back on the radio today. It was amazing. It was Hello Goodbye but the lady tried to bjork it up. It was so discordant. It sounded like Sandra Bernard reading the lyrics with William Shatner's Rocketman tempo that someone accidentally overlaid on some avant garde pots and pans noise. It was incredible. Who did this awful thing?

The next was Revolution but the lyrics were different and the guy kept saying copyright instead of all-right in the chorus. I am just curious what the rest of the lyrics were and this is hard to google also because beatles songs have copyrights so every lyrics page of revolution will also have the word copyright.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 6, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can't remember the name of this song.

It is a song entirely in French and I remember it being played at a retail place I worked at in 2007. I had it pop up on Pandora once and got excited and.........skipped it and lost what it was called. I remember it had a yellow cover for the box art. It is sung by a female with a relatively deeper voice that had a chorus that reminded me of an old french song from the 60s. I think it was a specifically retro type song but was definitely released within the last 10 to 15 years.

Anyone know of any relatively popular French musicians that would have done this song?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I heard something the other night that Google sound search couldn't identify, so I thought I'd check in. All I could really make out was "I'm coming out" repeated over and over toward the end of the song. Drums sounded a bit like something off of Darklands or Automatic by the Jesus and Mary Chain, and it had that kind of that same feeling of stolen bits of other songs that you hear all through their music. It was definitely way lower on the noise/distortion side than them though. The verses(?) had a little line that made me think of Country Roads, pitch-wise (like "to the place where I belong" in pitches, not in words). The jukebox where I was had plenty of punk/new wave stuff, so it could be something fairly obscure within that style. Any thoughts?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Sorry for the unbearably vague request, but I felt I might as well try.

Right at the 20-second mark in this trailer, a little melody starts to repeat on the strings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9szn1QQfas

I have a distinct memory of another piece of music (possibly another trailer song?) using the exact same melody, but much more slowly, and not repeating that one phrase but modulating it into a longer one. It's got a less urgent and more ominous feel, lurching forward inexorably. It would be appropriate soundtrack music for some dark fantasy or sci fi thing.

Any ideas? I've scanned the rest of the Tron Legacy soundtrack, it's not from there. All "epic trailer music" uses the same chords, I guess

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Space Hamlet posted:

Sorry for the unbearably vague request, but I felt I might as well try.

Right at the 20-second mark in this trailer, a little melody starts to repeat on the strings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9szn1QQfas

I have a distinct memory of another piece of music (possibly another trailer song?) using the exact same melody, but much more slowly, and not repeating that one phrase but modulating it into a longer one. It's got a less urgent and more ominous feel, lurching forward inexorably. It would be appropriate soundtrack music for some dark fantasy or sci fi thing.

Any ideas? I've scanned the rest of the Tron Legacy soundtrack, it's not from there. All "epic trailer music" uses the same chords, I guess

It's the very beginning of "Recognizer," but pitched down slightly. It's entirely possible that they recorded that string run as a one-off for the trailer.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Wyatt posted:

It's the very beginning of "Recognizer," but pitched down slightly. It's entirely possible that they recorded that string run as a one-off for the trailer.

Thanks, but like I said, it's not something from the Tron soundtrack. It's another piece that uses the same sequence of notes to launch a longer melody.

Edit: poo poo, it just came to me! It's the music Deus Ex 3 plays during its endings, you can hear the tune in question at 30 seconds.

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 10, 2014

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I heard this song in the gym this morning and its distinguishing characteristics were

* kinda jazzy in that amy winehouse way
* person was a female
* person's voice was kinda high pitched and english-y
* she mumbles a lot but i distinctly made out "nights are long"

i think its like 2013/2014?

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

Prefab Sprout - The King of Rock & Roll

e: egads, I was snookered.

Okay, a question, then: Heard a song some years back in a vaguely indie-rock vein, I could have sworn the lyrics involved something about moving to California because there was a lot of room there. I've googled for basically every combination of those words or synonyms thereof and come up with jack poo poo.

sorry that's not the song I was looking for. it is'nt a song by limp bizcut or disney either.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older

Allen Wren posted:

Heard a song some years back in a vaguely indie-rock vein, I could have sworn the lyrics involved something about moving to California because there was a lot of room there
Could it be California by Low?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Could it be California by Low?

I don't think so, though Low are fantastic.