Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RealityApologist posted:

A huge fraction of the criticisms coming at me (from basically everyone who has been uncritically echoing Obdicut in these threads) is that:

1) I have no knowledge whatsoever of science or history or human behavior

Correct.

quote:

2) I have done no work whatsoever to describe any coherent theory

Correct.

quote:

3) I have done no work whatsoever to think through the implication and practical consequences of the theory

Correct.

quote:

4) I'm completely ignorant of all the available literature dealing with any aspect of the theory I've failed to describe

Correct.

quote:

5) I'm making things up off the top of my head with no rhyme or reason

Correct.

quote:

6) I have no methodological or philosophical principles I'm committed to and change the goalposts wherever and whenever I feel like it

Correct.

quote:

7) I don't care about science and I'm not interested in learning about it

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityApologist
Mar 29, 2011

ASK me how NETWORKS algorithms NETWORKS will save humanity. WHY ARE YOU NOT THINKING MY THESIS THROUGH FOR ME HEATHENS did I mention I just unified all sciences because NETWORKS :fuckoff:
ITT we literally believe that saying things over and over makes them true.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

RealityApologist posted:

ITT we literally believe that saying things over and over makes them true.

Your posting is indeed an near-Platonic example of this, yes.

RealityApologist
Mar 29, 2011

ASK me how NETWORKS algorithms NETWORKS will save humanity. WHY ARE YOU NOT THINKING MY THESIS THROUGH FOR ME HEATHENS did I mention I just unified all sciences because NETWORKS :fuckoff:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Your posting is indeed an near-Platonic example of this, yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

ITT we literally think logical fallacies are knock-down arguments.

edit: there is no reasonable interpretation of my posting history in which 1-7 are true. Anyone who thinks 1-7 are true is reading my work uncharitably and therefore probably getting a lot of it wrong. People who are arguing with me on the premise that one of 1-7 are true is arguing against a strawman.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

RealityApologist posted:

Darwin himself didn't unify the sciences, but Darwinian theory unified biology and made it consistent with the rest of the sciences, and Darwin's theory is itself the linchpin holding biological theory together. Plenty of other people have justified the idea adequately enough in this thread.

You do realize that drivel like this is the reason people are saying you have no science background or knowledge?

You've made a big grand ( and inaccurate ) statement about a whole branch of science and have nothing to substantiate it other than word salad.

Which branch of the Sciences is it that your are claiming to be knowledgeable about ? Where did you acquire this knowledge ?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RealityApologist posted:

edit: there is no reasonable interpretation of my posting history in which 1-7 are true. Anyone who thinks 1-7 are true is reading my work uncharitably and therefore probably getting a lot of it wrong. People who are arguing with me on the premise that one of 1-7 are true is arguing against a strawman.

Are... are you joking here?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
e: ^^^ :psyboom:

RealityApologist posted:

I have done no work whatsoever

Since you've endorsed me as your official condenser: you could have just said this part.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

RealityApologist posted:

1) argue that the conception of unification I've given is inadequate
2) argue that the conception of unification I've given doesn't cover the examples I've given
3) argue that some relevant dissimilarity prevents these examples from being unified in the sense relevant to the analogy I've given.

I did do these things, though. My main argument is that there is no sense in which the 'unification' of Newton (in which he explicity, adamantly was NOT unifying physics, since he refused to consider the origin of motive forces) is similar to the 'unification' of Kant, in which he actually was attempting a complete, coherent, and total philosophy of the mind. There is also not a sense in which Darwin 'unified' biology with the other sciences, this part is difficult to argue because it is just a fact that's not true. You've now shifted from claiming that Darwin unified stuff to the idea that the modern synthesis did, which is a puzzling argument because it points out the truth that Darwin did not unify biology with other sciences, but instead created a new, interesting area that later had to be unified with another aspect of biology, one that did depend on other sciences.

This is the sort of post of yours that is easily mistakable for self-parody.

Edit: This one too:

RealityApologist posted:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
RA, aren't you asking Obdicut to prove a negative when you ask him how Darwin didn't unify stuff? You're the one making the claim, so you're the one who has to back it up.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

RealityApologist posted:

Eripsa I'll be frank for a moment here: you have so far departed from anything even constituting a refutable argument that there has long-since ceased to be much point in anything other than sniping at the self-glorifying gibberish you nevertheless continue to spew. Page after page, you write and write and write and yet you say basically nothing. It is near-impossible to tell what it is you're even trying, however unsuccessfully, to say. Your definitions shift and change from moment to moment, particularly when one of your many weak points or inconsistencies are pointed out. You repeatedly, seemingly intentionally, take people's points and statements out of context to give yourself an excuse to get huffy and not respond. This behavior also occurs whenever you use an example you don't understand and get called out on it, which is frequently.

This thread, like Strangecoin before it, has become irredeemable garbage. I'd advise you to end it and take a long time both develop your knowledge base in those many, many areas in which you are lacking, but since I know you won't, you should at a bare minimum write a new OP which clearly expresses just what you think you're talking about, in as concise a fashion as possible. I'd even suggest running it past someone else for editing tips before you even post it, but like most other good advice you've received, I doubt you'll listen to that either.

RealityApologist
Mar 29, 2011

jre posted:

You do realize that drivel like this is the reason people are saying you have no science background or knowledge?

You've made a big grand ( and inaccurate ) statement about a whole branch of science and have nothing to substantiate it other than word salad.

Which branch of the Sciences is it that your are claiming to be knowledgeable about ? Where did you acquire this knowledge ?

I was paraphraising others in this thread, who got this right:

BUSH 2112 posted:

This is wrong. Evolution absolutely unified the field of biology, and it's the linchpin of modern biology, quite literally. If we somehow suddenly discovered that some of the mechanics of evolution don't actually work the way we thought, the wheels will come off of the entire thing and it'll crash and burn. Of course, that can't happen any more than we could suddenly discover that the quantum mechanical theory that tells us how transistors work is wrong. Modern evolutionary synthesis is called that for a reason, it brought together all of the disparate subfields of biology and attached them to each other like conjoined twins.

iFederico posted:

I agree with the former part (the Darwinian synthesis was mostly the work of Fisher and his colleagues) but the latter point is untrue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_in_Biology_Makes_Sense_Except_in_the_Light_of_Evolution - while you can study the folding pattern of a single protein using molecular dynamics and ignoring evolution, you can also study the way an electron interacts with a charged plate ignoring the fact electromagnetism and the weak force are united - does that mean that the electroweak theory doesn't provide a compelling unification, since you can momentarily ignore it if you focus on a single problem?

GulMadred posted:

Cube-square relationships (like golden spirals) can be found in living things. The cube-square law is a unifying concept: biology, geometry, engineering, etc; gas diffusion applies to chemistry, astronomy, oceanography, etc. Darwin could have explored these similarities and built up some kind of ~~cube-square-gas~~ architectonic theory of life if he was trying to unify biology with previously-known laws. But what he was actually doing was proposing new principles/laws which were compatible with (i.e. did not contradict) other branches of science, and then using these new laws to scrutinize the available data (ethology, fossils, distribution of habitats, etc) and make predictions.

Again, the interpretation of Darwin's place in the history of science that my argument rests on isn't controversial anywhere except the people here who are just looking for something to pick on.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

RealityApologist posted:

lol

And thus my post saying you don't understand conversational charity. Conversational charity is a good thing, but it isn't infinite forbearance of judgment in the face of all evidence. Eripsa, you've received staggeringly charitable interpretations of your writing time and time again, including many good-faith attempts to nail down exactly what the hell you were talking about. You've consistently abused this charity and failed to respond to reasonable criticisms or adequately develop your theories to the point they could be taken seriously by people with minimal levels of knowledge. All this while betraying a host of behaviors that make it extremely difficult to attribute good-faith to your efforts or writing. Past a certain point people are entitled to draw conclusions and you lose the ability to appeal to the spirit of charity and principles of open debate without being laughed at. People are being incredibly charitable by still engaging with you at all.

This isn't a permanent state of affairs, but you've exhibited no signs that you have any real understanding of the problem or intent to approach things differently. I have a really hard time faulting anyone for assuming that the latest iteration of an idea that heretofore has been indistinguishable from crankish nonsense dressed up in a veneer of academic jargon, will continue to be indistinguishable from said nonsense. Humans aren't beings of pure logic with infinite time to consider all possibilities- at some point practical heuristics take over.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

RealityApologist posted:

but it's just hyperbolic and obstinate to claim, like Obdicut does, that I've done no work whatsoever, especially given how half-assed his own work in these threads are. I have done a lot of work in all these areas, and its completely uncharitable to claim otherwise.
There's two sense of work, one is that you've expended energy. I think everyone agrees that you've expended a nonzero amount of energy, so by that definition you've done work. Gold star! The other sense comes from physics, in physics work is force (dot product) displacement. This means if you've somehow move something without applying force, you are doing no work (despite things happening), or if at the end of the movement the displacement is zero, you have also done no work (despite expending potentially large amounts of energy). By that definition, I think it's pretty clear you've done no work (as proof, please see that you are arguing over whether the word "unification" should apply to four certain dead people or not).

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

There's two sense of work, one is that you've expended energy. I think everyone agrees that you've expended a nonzero amount of energy, so by that definition you've done work. Gold star! The other sense comes from physics, in physics work is force (dot product) displacement. This means if you've somehow move something without applying force, you are doing no work (despite things happening), or if at the end of the movement the displacement is zero, you have also done no work (despite expending potentially large amounts of energy). By that definition, I think it's pretty clear you've done no work (as proof, please see that you are arguing over whether the word "unification" should apply to four certain dead people or not).

To break this down even further, the guy's just spinning his wheels and acting like he's actually getting somewhere.

e: :iiaca:

RealityApologist
Mar 29, 2011

Obdicut posted:

I did do these things, though. My main argument is that there is no sense in which the 'unification' of Newton (in which he explicity, adamantly was NOT unifying physics, since he refused to consider the origin of motive forces) is similar to the 'unification' of Kant, in which he actually was attempting a complete, coherent, and total philosophy of the mind. There is also not a sense in which Darwin 'unified' biology with the other sciences, this part is difficult to argue because it is just a fact that's not true. You've now shifted from claiming that Darwin unified stuff to the idea that the modern synthesis did, which is a puzzling argument because it points out the truth that Darwin did not unify biology with other sciences, but instead created a new, interesting area that later had to be unified with another aspect of biology, one that did depend on other sciences.

Newtonian science unified celestial and terrestial mechanics.
Kant was inspired by Newton's (narrow, scientific unification) to develop his transcendental idealism, which was a comprehensive philosophical anthropology.

Darwinian science unified biological evolution with a mechanical (Newtonian) world.
Marx was inspired by Darwin's (narrow, scientific unification) to develop his dialectical materialism, which was also a comprehensive philosophical anthropology.

Some mistakes you keep making:

- Newton's was a unifying project in fundamental physics, even if Newton himself thought it wasn't the whole story.
- A theory doesn't need to be a comprehensive theory of mind to be a unifying theory.
- Darwin unified biological and mechanical explanations. That's different than explaining biology with Newtonian mechanics. He only showed that a completely mechanical description of the world (including biology) was possible.
- The relevant analogies are between Newton and Darwin, and between Kant and Marx, not between Newton and Kant. Newton's scientific unification inspired Kant's philosophical unification. Both are unifying projects but of radically different scope. You want to say they aren't unifying projects at all, but you are simply wrong. These are all unifying theorists, even though their theories are all radically different.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we were having this conversation in some sort of medium, something like a greek "forum," you know, where people could say things all together all at once; but one where many statements could be presented simultaneously by multiple people, akin to, I don't know, "posts" on some sort of public "board." That way—you know, assuming we were having a discussion on such a futuristic medium—it would be entirely possible for Eripsa to simply filter out the purposeless troll "posts" and focus only on the ideas of those who ARE acting charitably towards him, as these are his ideas, and he is the driver of the ship.

:sigh:

Alas, this is a literal shouting match, and Eripsa is obliged only to answer the ad hominem attacks with which he disagrees, rather than the sundry substantive criticisms that he himself has buried in the froth of his own pedantry in an attempt to shout down other, more knowledgable posters about things like ants or Darwin—things which, unfortunately, have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with his stated purpose of creating a game slash financial system slash new economy slash architectonic paradigm slash just some poo poo he cobbled together slash the new chemistry slash gently caress you dad slash die statist scum.

If only it were possible for him to ignore the shitposts, and focus on the ones that have, apparently, made these threads a really valuable experience for him.

Oh well. Shame we don't live in that world, and Eripsa doesn't CHOOSE to roll around in his own vomit and filth, he is FORCED to by the malign forces marshaled by the dark general Obdicut and his foul cronies.

RealityApologist
Mar 29, 2011

LGD posted:

lol

And thus my post saying you don't understand conversational charity. Conversational charity is a good thing, but it isn't infinite forbearance of judgment in the face of all evidence. Eripsa, you've received staggeringly charitable interpretations of your writing time and time again, including many good-faith attempts to nail down exactly what the hell you were talking about. You've consistently abused this charity and failed to respond to reasonable criticisms or adequately develop your theories to the point they could be taken seriously by people with minimal levels of knowledge. All this while betraying a host of behaviors that make it extremely difficult to attribute good-faith to your efforts or writing. Past a certain point people are entitled to draw conclusions and you lose the ability to appeal to the spirit of charity and principles of open debate without being laughed at. People are being incredibly charitable by still engaging with you at all.

This isn't a permanent state of affairs, but you've exhibited no signs that you have any real understanding of the problem or intent to approach things differently. I have a really hard time faulting anyone for assuming that the latest iteration of an idea that heretofore has been indistinguishable from crankish nonsense dressed up in a veneer of academic jargon, will continue to be indistinguishable from said nonsense. Humans aren't beings of pure logic with infinite time to consider all possibilities- at some point practical heuristics take over.

People are bullying me for having an idea, and you are arguing that I deserve the bullying and I'm lucky to to get it.

I've given plenty of responses to reasonable criticism, and I've developed significant aspects of the theory to accommodate the discussions in these threads. Obdicut's criticism aren't demonstrating a good faith attempt with minimal knowledge, he's demonstrating deliberate trolling with the only intention of watching me fail. Most of the criticism in this thread are of this sort, and I'd be a complete fool to conclude from these criticisms that I've demonstrated some basic failure in my work.

Of course people must rely on heuristics. The heuristic in this thread is to bandwagon the hostility and jump on any error I might make, ignoring anything substantive I say, and looking for any confirmation of the caricature the thread's already settled on. The post about digital philosophy and network theory is a substantive elaboration of a view to make clear the theoretical motivations to a general audience, and aside from this useless evolution derail no one has said anything about the thesis.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RealityApologist posted:

People are bullying me for having an idea, and you are arguing that I deserve the bullying and I'm lucky to to get it.

No, people are not bullying you. They're exasperated that you utterly refuse to listen to legitimate criticisms of your idea and your apparent inability to address huge flaws in your proposals that stem from a basic ignorance of the fields you attempt to speak about.

RealityApologist
Mar 29, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

If only it were possible for him to ignore the shitposts, and focus on the ones that have, apparently, made these threads a really valuable experience for him.

Here's how this thread works:

Substantive Eripsa post on issue C
troll
troll
insult/character attack/question of basic sanity
insult that points to an important issue A
completely clueless misunderstanding
Eripsa responds to A
troll
character attack
whine from some poster about being ignored
Independent recognition of the importance of A
troll
whine
criticism of A by way of character attack
character attack
insult raising relatively unimportant issue B
Eripsa responds to issue B
troll
complaints about changing subject from A to B
complaints about about Eripsa not knowing anything about A and B
complaints about Eripsa not knowing anything about unrelated issue Q
derail about Q
troll
complaint that Eripsa hasn't dealt with Q
substantive Eripsa post continuing to deal with issue A
troll
substantive criticism of issue B
confused post
insult
Eripsa post trying to turn the conversation back to C
troll about goal posts
whine about being ignored
complaint about basic comprehension
troll that indicates general confusion about the disucssion
smug bandwagon posts about how A and B and Q show Eripsa is stupid
Eripsa post about discursive charity
troll
troll
troll
troll
troll
whine
troll
confused post about Q

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RealityApologist posted:

Substantive Eripsa post on issue C

Show me one of these.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So leave. Go back to Hacker News, or wherever it is you hang out when you want people to go along with the delusion that you're an academic.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Such slings and arrows a misunderstood genius like you must endure to bring your light to us ungrateful plebs, Eripsa. How ever do you manage it?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

RealityApologist posted:

Of course people must rely on heuristics. The heuristic in this thread is to bandwagon the hostility and jump on any error I might make, ignoring anything substantive I say, and looking for any confirmation of the caricature the thread's already settled on. The post about digital philosophy and network theory is a substantive elaboration of a view to make clear the theoretical motivations to a general audience, and aside from this useless evolution derail no one has said anything about the thesis.

This isn't true. I criticized that 'thesis', mainly for not actually being a thesis.

Edit: Also, according to your little martyr list of how the thread has gone, nobody has ever offered substantial criticism, like noting that you were using 'linear' wrong, or that you think attention isn't fakable.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

Substantive Eripsa post

Figure a. Substantive Eripsa post in its natural habitat

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

RealityApologist posted:

:qq:

You again totally ignored my question about what branch of Science are you claiming to have knowledge in , and where did you get this knowledge from ? As far as you have shared you have spent years doing an arts degree , so why do you feel confident making pronouncements about formal maths theory, economics, psychology, biology , physics etc etc etc.

Terry Pratchett has a good line about how universities steal knowledge from the people who attend them because students come in knowing everything and leave realising they know nothing.

People who actually have knowledge tend not to make an arse of themselves by skim reading wikipedia and then trying to speak like an expert on the subject.

If you actually had any formal science training you would realise how pathetic the appeals to "Charity" are. If its science you should be able to prove your assertion, or at the very least not be making unfounded ludicrous claims and then asking others to prove you wrong.

You should stick to philosophy.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
RA, honest to god, you need help. You are not thinking clearly. You constantly ping-pong back and forth from claiming that we're all horrible, uncharitable trolls that are dead set on bullying you, to claiming that we're providing helpful trial by fire criticism that is genuinely improving your debating skills and giving you new ideas to work with. You are constantly going off on long diatribes that make sense only to you, and you get angry and accuse people of being uncharitable when they don't understand what you said. You consider yourself an academic, but you fail to grasp even the most remedial of things like the tragedy of the commons. You get horrible anxiety when you're proven demonstrably wrong; you've said yourself that the nonlinear thing caused you hours of grief and a growing sense of dread upon the realization that you might have been mistaken. The entire attention economy thread is clear proof that you simply don't understand how people actually work, your comparison of cyborg rights to LGBTQ discrimination shows that don't grasp what real persecution actually is, and the fact that you always blame other people for not being able to understand you shows that you can't accept your faults. I'll go out on a limb here and say that you're genuinely afraid of being out in the real world, which is why you've desperately been trying to stay within academia for as long as possible.

This is not healthy behavior. Please, for the love of god, see a therapist.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

RealityApologist posted:

Absolutely nothing that has been posted in this thread since calvinball ascended to mod heaven has been substantive: you've been feeding trolls because it's easier than addressing criticisms like "you're trying to measure the impact on a network where none of the networked nodes have any reason to interact with one another." When you do "address" a criticism, it's with an outright unfounded denial.

You are the captain of this ship. If you want to talk about a thing, absolutely nobody without a blue or red star next to their name can prevent you from talking about it. If all of these posts are trolls, then why the gently caress are you still responding to them instead of addressing any of the serious, pervasive issues with your idea(s)? They're far from complete, there are a profusion of unanswered questions (as in "unresolved," not "you never posted about them").

This is why I pushed in the last thread for the "updated spec." You continuously claim to have changed your mind without demonstrating any of it at all. Shouting "I've changed! I've changed!" isn't going to save you from criticism when you haven't actually changed what's being criticized.

If you are so goddamned butthurt about people pointing out that your terrible half-baked sci fi plot is unrealistic and infeasible, then maybe you should stop posting about it until you've adequately addressed the criticisms they've raised and incorporated those changes into your ideas?

RealityApologist
Mar 29, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Show me one of these.

quote:

A sourced guide to my empty philosophical views, by Eripsa

- Natural phenomena are explained mechanistically. Mechanistic explanations are given in the form of abstract, organized systems. In their most abstract form, organized systems are networks: functionally differentiated nodes and some set of relations between them. Network theory is the formal basis for understanding all networks, and suggests a deep unification across diverse areas of the both the hard and special sciences. Put simply, the last 40 years of science and math have developed into a mathematically rigorous way of explaining complex adaptive systems found across the natural world and systematically comparing their behavior.

The above views all correspond to a particular kind of methodological naturalism within which it is completely appropriate to look for structural similarities across organized systems of all scales and constitutions to see what abstract lessons we might learn. Within this framework, it is entirely reasonable to look at the natural world for inspiration to help us understand our own behavior. The division of labor in ants is a well studied example of a highly complex social phenomenon, and contrary to the knee-jerk reaction of the thread it's not so easily dismissed as simple genetics operating in purely altruistic environments and therefore completely irrelevant to the study of human social systems. Ants organize through the coordination of semi-autonomous individuals with varying incentives. The incentives that operates on semi-autonomous human agents are far more complex, and the resulting social organizations are far more diverse than in ant communities, but the abstract explanation of the behavior works more or less the same.

- Historically, every attempt at scientific unification presents a variety of philosophical challenges, both metaphysically/conceptually and sociopolitically (see: Newton and Kant, Darwin and Marx, etc). Digital philosophy is the philosophical position that takes the scientific unification around networks seriously and considers the philosophical challenges it presents. Traditionally the term "digital philosophy" is associated with thinkers like Wolfram who are interested in primarily metaphysical questions (see here). I'm using the term to also include discussions in the digital humanities, and to the values and theories informing digital political activism in the early 21st century(Swartz/Snowden/Manning/Anonymous, OSS/P2P/Liquid Democracy, Internet as a human right, etc) which people like Wolfram don't really touch, but undoubtedly have a place in a unified philosophical discussion on the topic.

Put simply, the scientific and technical resources developed over the last 40 years (networks in all their guises) have created both the room and the need for a systematic philosophical narrative to account for our place in history and to help us understand the tools at our disposal. Digital philosophy is that narrative. This narrative doesn't provide answers so much as it coordinates our efforts. This narrative is not completely developed (neither is the science and math, for that matter), but over the last 10 years especially it has come to take a very distinct shape suitable for discussion at the very abstract level I've attempted in this thread. This narrative also isn't mine, in the sense that I've shaped it from raw materials; people have been telling it in many ways over the last 40 years, perhaps most famously by D&G's discussion of rhizomes, and somewhat less famously in Koelstra's discussion of holons. But digital philosophy isn't just the bankrupt psychoanalytic appropriation of scientific terminology, or a new age design philosophy. As best represented by the digital humanities, digital philosophy is driven by earnest attempts to get the science right, because that's critical for encouraging the participation of all the parties that need to be involved.

Philosophy is not an "arts" degree. As a graduate student in philosophy I've taken (for credit) graduate courses in psychology, computer science, and mathematics. I'm most able to defend the philosophy of science issues, which are plentiful in the theory I'm offering, but there are other issues at stake particular to other disciplines, some of which I've studied and others I haven't.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

It's ironic and fitting that, in the end, you're more concerned with your reputation on the dungeons and dragons section of an internet comedy forum than the integrity and quality of the ideas you are purportedly passionate about. I don't know whether it's narcissism or its opposite that leads you to incorporate defense against ad hominem attacks into defense of your ideas, and focus on these worthless ad hominems instead of the ideas they are making fun of you for not being capable of describing, much less defending. But either way, it's not particularly elucidating, except (again, completely tangentially to the intended content of these threads) where your character is concerned.

VVV Oh, but don't you understand? We, the simple plebian rabble, would be incapable of comprehending a more complex, definitive source! VVV

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hey Eripsa there are wikipedia links in your list of sources.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Philosophy is not an "arts" degree. As a graduate student in philosophy I've taken (for credit) graduate courses in psychology, computer science, and mathematics. I'm most able to defend the philosophy of science issues, which are plentiful in the theory I'm offering, but there are other issues at stake particular to other disciplines, some of which I've studied and others I haven't.

Philosophy is an Arts degree because in most places it is offered by the Faculty of Arts. I took undergraduate electrical engineering courses , sure as gently caress doesn't make me an engineer and I wouldn't spout forth on the internet about analogue circuit design because I did a level 2 course in it 10 years ago.

Philosophy of Science is not science, its philosophy.

quote:

I've taken (for credit) graduate courses in psychology, computer science, and mathematics.

So what ? You've made really basic mistakes in these disciplines in the deceased thread. The point of the Pratchett quote which you've missed is that you start out ignorant of the breadth of knowledge which exists and have a false sense of your ability. By the time you leave university you've more insight and are humbled by this and realise how little its possible for one person to know.

Thinking that because you did a couple of 8 week courses in a subject it makes you capable of debating it with people here who specialised in a subject is a sign that you've not learned anything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RealityApologist posted:

So what? I took economics, astronomy, art history, and geology courses for credit and none of them qualified or enabled me to speak with any kind of authority whatsoever in those fields. Hell, there's huge parts of my own field (history) that I have no qualifications in or useful knowledge of whatsoever. For instance, I know jack poo poo about the Ottoman empire apart from the Fall of Constantinople in 1453.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 8, 2014

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is like watching the grad student version of Erikson's "integrity vs. despair"

RealityApologist
Mar 29, 2011

This was the other story in my notepad that didn't get a chance to be published in the Strangecoin thread. I was saving it in case the other thread was revived, since it pertained to the Strangecoin discussion directly. So it goes.

quote:

"I think we have everyone together so I'm going to get started. Welcome, everyone, to the second quarterly report meeting of the Northwest Consolidated Paper Org. I'm Templeton Peck, currently acting as root node for NCPO, and I'm joined by H.M. Murdock, the Chief Organizing Hub, and Bosco Baracus, who is taking minutes and streaming this meeting across the Federated Meshnet. John Smith, who usually leads these meetings, regrets that he couldn't be in attendance. We're also joined on the Meshnet by representative nodes from Northwest Hemp and Lumber Org, the Industrial Chemicals Distribution subnet, the Global Reuse Initiative, Machinists Local 98 and District 24 and Teamsters Local 583, and a number of key independent printing, packaging, and supply outfits that represent some of our most important coupling partners. I'm glad everyone could be in attendance and want to thank everyone for the work we've done and will continue to do.

"In our Strange economy, the key to long-term success is stability. For the last six years the story in the paper industry has been of consistent quarterly neutrality, the longest such period since the Great Transition 20 years ago. We're now half way through the current fiscal year and I'm pleased to report that the story shows no signs of changing. Economists suggest that the stability we've experienced in paper is consistent with similar reports from other sectors of the economy, and is indicative of the unparalleled success of the last two decades of economic restructuring. These are the good times, cyborgs and gentlepeople. Some of you might not be old enough to remember the turn of the century and how uncertain the future of paper looked at the time. To be sure, we've had our share of changes over the years; there was a time when the words "news" and "paper" were as inseparable as "ice" and "cream", and that time has long past. Nevertheless, paper has a long and proud history, and the people demonstrated a persistent love for paper in both its professional and personal uses. Paper is here to stay.

"On to brass tacks. You should all have copies of the report with specific figures, but the bottom line is this: we are reporting quarterly revenue of around 2.6 billion Strangecoin, with a net profit of just under 5000 coin, indicating a balance of income to expenses to within 0.00019%. A total coupling network reaching over 32,000 nodes and an extended support network covering 15 million nodes in the greater Northwestern region puts our balance figure well below the three-decimal-point accuracy mandated by the revised Strangecoin protocol for a class-2 organization of our size. With a balance cap of 50 billion coin, these figures indicate that we could continue operating in the present conditions without disruption for the next five million years. That is, assuming the rest of the network continues to play nice.

"Our fixed assets remain unchanged from last quarter, with machinery operational at all 10 major pulp processing facilities and 35 distribution centers covering an area extending from Anchorage to El Paso and Seattle to Winnipeg. Our fixed assets together with our extended coupling and support network puts us in potential command of approximately 15 trillion Strangecoin per hour using the industry standard Hofstadter-Whipping benchmark. These resources put us just inside the top 35% of the most influential corporate entities in the Northwest region. The world is at our disposal, my friends, should we need it.

"In particular, our analysts indicate that Northwest Consolidated Paper Org controls 84% of the paper production and distribution in the greater Northwest region, with our next four competitors satisfying another 15.8% of paper production in this region. As I've indicated, these figures have held steady for the last six years with almost no change. That's despite an expected average growth of 1.25% per year, a figure that's been constant across the paper industry for the last decade. Given the new facility we opened in Eureka four years ago, and the major renovations across three other facilities in the time since, this all gives us good reason to believe that these figures will perform robustly under changes in both demand and labor conditions. Our models indicate that any attempts to establish a greater market share would result in significantly less stability in our network and across the paper industry, ultimately having an adverse effect for our close coupled relationships to other industrial and labor organizations.

"Turning to those coupled relationships, many of whom are represented at this meeting, we find that the economic stability describing our current situation is largely mirrored across large sectors of our immediate economic network, a situation that can only indicate a resilient economic situation. There are exceptions, of course, the most notable of which is the publishing industry, which remains a fractured shadow of its former self. Nevertheless our coupling portfolio remains strong. It's resilience was put to the test three years ago during fires across much of the hemp growing regions of the Northwest, which put some severe constraints on our production capacity and threatened to significantly delay our production schedule. But coordinated efforts with our immediate coupling partners was sufficient to prepare us for the hemp shortage, and over the last three years our imbalances never grew above 0.0008%, still well below the three-decimal mandate. Put simply, over the last decade our organization has withstood critical tests in the stability on both the supply and demand end, and we've proven more than capable of adaptively responding to those challenges and maintaining our market position.

"As my good friend Hannibal has said for the last six years standing in my position, I love it when a plan comes together. Steady as she goes, everyone, and good work. Now unfortunately we can't go to lunch quite yet; we have, I believe, two agenda items to put before the assemblage we've crafted on the MeshNet today. So I'm going to turn things over to my friend Bosco to carry out the rest of this meeting. B.A.?"

"Thanks, Face. We have, uh, two agenda items to get through this afternoon. The first concerns the, uh, issues with the voting initiative this November in the formerly federated territory of California, and that will be addressed by an, uh, Mr. Decker from the Global Reuse Initiative. The second concerns a publishing dispute over a particular, uh, project, and that will be led by our own Mrs.
Murdoch. But first, the voting initiative. Mr. Decker?"

"Thanks, B.A., and thanks everyone. As you've no doubt heard, the formerly federated territory of California is heading up an initiative this November to make another attempt a refederalization. Their plan this time is to run an old fashioned paper voting and shoe leather campaign, and they're talking about distributing leaflets in doors, signs on lawns, posters in trees, stickers on cars, the whole nine. No one has run this sort of paper campaign in a generation, so the proposal is shaping up to be a massive undertaking for everyone involved. Some of you might remember, back when we were still running on dollars and nations, that the election cycle used to be like Christmas for the paper industry, especially out in California. At it's height around the turn of the century, campaign materials accounted for nearly 20% of regional paper use from August to November, which I don't have to tell you is a huge chunk of the pie. Restarting a paper-based voting campaign today obviously has us at the Reuse institute somewhat concerned.

"Basically, the worries at GRI concern the potential paper use required for the kind of election campaign California is attempting here, and more importantly for the precedent it sets going into the future. For the last two months we've been third party to negotiations between the California Refederalization Initiative and the NCPO to determine a scope and schedule for production of election materials, where we've repeatedly urged moderation in the numbers of fliers, posters and other paper products will be put out on the streets this fall. After overcoming a major deadlock over confetti parades, I think we've developed a coordinated schedule in conjunction with all your large coupling partners to adjust for the changes that this election will have for our operation over the next several months. I think we all believe that the schedule is satisfactory, and that the project can be properly prepared for and managed in a sustainable way and with minimal disruption to all interested parties, including the bottom line here at NCPO.

"I'm just here only partially as a rep node for GRI; I asked to be put on the agenda mostly out of a sense of personal obligation. It's true that the provisions necessary for this paper election campaign can be planned for and carried out with minimal disruption-- that's what this post-scarcity thing is supposed to be all about, right?-- but I feel that I must urge again before the assembled parties that we don't have to do this. We have something of a motto: 'New use is a noose! Reuse!' Printed election materials are a paradigm case of one-use waste, of precisely the sort that the GRI has been fighting against since before the Transition began. I'm all in favor of the democratic spirit, but there's no reason to suspect that the post-Transition voting procedures are inadequate and that a return to paper voting is necessary. Using compression algorithms in consensus tanks on the MeshNet has been shown again and again to approximate the voter landscape to within three-decimal-point accuracy. The last two refederalization campaigns in the California territory have been unsuccessful by a 40 point spread each time, and the Refederalization Initiative has done nothing to demonstrate a failure in the consensus tank models. From our perspective at GRI, the proposed paper election is an example of desperation tactics to obscure a failing strategy, and not a legitimate expansion of the use profile of paper in the region.

"I understand that the NCPO's general position is to provide paper as needed and to not discriminate, especially over a political issue like this. I also believe that a paper campaign of this magnitude can be absorbed by your organization and its partners without a prohibitive degree of disruption to our activities, and indeed that it may be more disruptive to disengage and pass the project off to a competitor. But I'll say again that we don't have to do this. Because of the hemp shortage, much of the printed material for this initiative is coming from pine forest reserves not scheduled for harvest for another decade. Whether or not California can afford the project, I just can't help but be disgusted by the idea of covering those trees in needless political garbage and then throwing it on lawns and doorknobs to rot in the open air; even at our most efficient, 30% of that material won't be reclaimed by our reuse or recycling programs. It's exactly the kind of waste that we have a responsibility to keep in check. There are no higher authorities to regulate these projects apart from the coordinated efforts of the people involved and their divested interests. The NCPO is a major participant in this project and is making major accommodations to support it, but the people assembled here have the collective authority among themselves to halt this initiative in its tracks by refusing participation. I understand that there are sensitive political issues at stake, and we all want this to go smoothly either way. But we don't need paper elections, and we don't need printed election materials, and we don't need any goddamned confetti parades.

"Consensus tanks on the topic have been open for the last month with little interest, with compression and solidarity estimates scheduled for the end of next week. This is our last chance to intervene before the project is set in motion, and will have a major impact on reports over the next two quarters. If you have time time I'd encourage everyone to jump in the tank and help calibrate the consensus. Thanks for your time."

"Alright, thank you, uh, Mr. Decker. In the interest of fairness we did reach out to the California Refederalization Initiative to speak at this meeting. They sent back an, uh, image of what appears to be a California Grizzly Bear in an Uncle Sam top hat holding an uprooted tree over his head in one hand and, uh, making an obscene gesture with the other, with the words "Cold Dead Hands" scrawled underneath. Anyone wishing to inspect the image will find the documents in the consensus tank on the MeshNet. Uh, and now we have our Mrs. Murdoch, on the publishing dispute."

"Thanks B.A., I'll keep this quick, I know this is already running long. The NCPO has many valued partners across the publishing industry, some of whom are in attendance today. As Mr. Peck noted in his opening remarks, the publishing industry remains fragmented across a number of independent outfits, still shattered by trade disputes during the Transition, and unable to organize for a variety of complicated political and economic reasons that don't concern us much here. However, these disputes often put the NCPO in an awkward middle position between publishers, and that's what we're facing today. As you may have heard, a coalition of 35 independent publishers, many of whom are within the NCPO distribution area and some of whom are coupled partners attending this meeting through the MeshNet today, and which represents the largest such organization of publishers to coalesce since the Transition, has recently united in protest of a small outfit named Eromenos that they allege is publishing illustrated child pornography. A number of root nodes across the publishing industry have written and signed a formal letter announcing their allegations; we've drawn up a consensus tank on the issue that has samples from the Eromenos catalog, along with the signed statement from the emerging-- and as yet unnamed-- publishing coalition, and Monte Carlo simulations of the next four quarters with or without excision are available to assist your decision process.

"The bottom line is that the publishers are beginning to act in solidarity around this issue. We at the NCPO see this as a positive development; a more unified publishing industry can only mean more stability for us over the long run. I'll be honest, from an administrative point of view we think this is a great turn of events. I should make clear that the NCPO interest here is not political but strictly professional. Continuing to supply Eromenos would mean losing contacts across a huge section of the publishing world, whereas excising Eromenos would have virtually no impact on our overall activities. That said, excision is always a tricky political affair that requires establishing a significant public consensus. Specifically, Eromenos appears to be gaining support on the MeshNet, especially among the free speech advocates opposed to excision as an organizing strategy and who insist that Eromenos have committed no crimes; a statement from the EFF on the matter can be found in the tanks as well. The potential political fall out should excision take place has been taken into account in the simulations you'll find there.

"As Mr. Decker said, there are no higher authorities to adjudicate these matters than we the participants. So I just wanted the important partners gathered here today to remember to contribute their attention to the consensus tanks as we approach a decision on this issue. Thank you."

"Thank you, uh, Mrs. Murdoch. That will conclude the meeting for today."

See you all next thread everyone.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

RealityApologist posted:

The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.

I'm looking forward to it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RealityApologist posted:

This was the other story in my notepad that didn't get a chance to be published in the Strangecoin thread. I was saving it in case the other thread was revived, since it pertained to the Strangecoin discussion directly. So it goes.

No one gives a gently caress about your fanfics about how Ron Paul and Isaac Asimov had a gay-baby that brought upon the glorious cyborg utopia. Posts like these are why you have worn out your welcome and no longer deserve any charity is discussions.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

No one gives a gently caress about your fanfics about how Ron Paul and Isaac Asimov had a gay-baby that brought upon the glorious cyborg utopia. Posts like these are why you have worn out your welcome and no longer deserve any charity is discussions.

You're just a hater though. His stories are usually the most readable of his posts.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

You're just a hater though. His stories are usually the most readable of his posts.

That's damning with faint praise if I've ever heard any.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Whatever blend of pills and liquor you're taking that let you post this with a straight face, I want some of it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Whatever blend of pills and liquor you're taking that let you post this with a straight face, I want some of it too.

No really, look at it. He still doesn't know how to talk like people, but when he voices a character you can tell he's trying at least.

• Locked thread