Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Nate RFB posted:

Can't say it better than the SMTIV thread itself:

Did not know we had a seperate thread for that, thanks for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I just bought SMTIV. Any DLC I should grab/avoid?

You should wait on buying any DLC regardless. They go on sale fairly often.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I'm playing Nocturne and enjoying it a lot. However, the sound doesn't seem as good as I remember, kind of tinny, especially with a lot of the music. The picture also looks a bit washed-out even with the stretching and smoothing turned off. Are these common issues with PS2 games on the PS3 or a problem with Nocturne specifically?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Delsaber posted:

I'm playing Nocturne and enjoying it a lot. However, the sound doesn't seem as good as I remember, kind of tinny, especially with a lot of the music. The picture also looks a bit washed-out even with the stretching and smoothing turned off. Are these common issues with PS2 games on the PS3 or a problem with Nocturne specifically?

It's a combination of your memories over-exaggerating the game and the fact that you're almost certainly playing it on a better television/monitor than you did when the PS2 was out.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

A lot of PS2 and PSX games look pretty not so hot on more modern TVs, both playing them on their native systems and through PSN. I stick to playing them on their native systems, on one of the later Sony Trinitrons, which keeps them looking alright, without washing the colors out too badly, or making everything look jagged.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Delsaber posted:

Nocturne literally has the lowest quality audio that I've heard in any PS2 game. It sounds super tinny even on the original.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Delsaber posted:

However, the sound doesn't seem as good as I remember, kind of tinny, especially with a lot of the music

The music in Nocturne is super tinny and it's actually successfully put me off playing the game which I know is extremely petty but oh well.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

AngryRobotsInc posted:

A lot of PS2 and PSX games look pretty not so hot on more modern TVs, both playing them on their native systems and through PSN. I stick to playing them on their native systems, on one of the later Sony Trinitrons, which keeps them looking alright, without washing the colors out too badly, or making everything look jagged.

Persona 4 looks great emulated on the PS3 imo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The music in Nocturne is super tinny and it's actually successfully put me off playing the game which I know is extremely petty but oh well.
The music in Nocturne rules, sorry.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

The music in Nocturne rules, sorry.

No, he's saying that the sound quality is awful. The music itself is fantastic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

El Hefe posted:

Persona 4 is a much more recent game, too. It was released two years into the PS3's life, even.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I hadn't realized how messed up the sound is for Nocturne until I listened to some complete versions of the songs ripped from the game on Youtube. Didn't really mind it too much until it was side-by-side with the stuff from the OST. I'd kill for a cleaned up version of the whole normal battle theme.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Hefe posted:

Yeah, but if you're running it from a PS2 disc, the text box in the lower corner is glitched and blank, which is kind of distracting.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
I think the terrible sound quality in Nocturne only applies to the battle music, and I have the feeling it's the price we pay for all those variations of the main themes (which, generally speaking, is an awesome concept that should be utilized more often).

As for SMT4: I have resigned myself to buying a US 3DS at this point, but what I've heard about the DLC concept sounds completely terrible. If it ever does come out in Europe, I hope they include at least any story-/dungeon-related content as an apology. Paying extra for grinding dungeons and unique demons and bosses as well as for straight up overpowered gear sounds like everything that's been wrong with DLC since the days of horse armor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's not that surprising that a game on a Nintendo platform is using the 2006 DLC model. Fire Emblem was the same way.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MarsDragon posted:

Strange Journey is awesome, all of you suck. :colbert:

I actually mostly liked it. It just got really tedious to a point that was no longer fun by the end.

It wasn't even like the battles were hard by that point, you were really just fighting the overworld map.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Rushputin posted:

I think the terrible sound quality in Nocturne only applies to the battle music, and I have the feeling it's the price we pay for all those variations of the main themes (which, generally speaking, is an awesome concept that should be utilized more often).

I remember the audio being rear end for every song in the game. :colbert:

It's a shame that there's no full version of the battle theme anywhere that doesn't sound awful. As far as I can tell, they only used one variation in the bonus battle of DDS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not that surprising that a game on a Nintendo platform is using the 2006 DLC model. Fire Emblem was the same way.

This isn't a '2006 pricing model.' It's pretty common in a lot of games. Shortcut DLC in particular is all over the place these days, as are gimmick challenges. The Last of Us literally just released its extra bonus hard mode as DLC. This is the modern DLC concept for good or ill.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 8, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Mostly ill, tbh.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Alright, I'm playing Nocturne, going for the TDE. How should I level the demi-fiend? Does it really make or break the game like it did in SMT1/2? Or are there viable builds for all stats like in 4?

Also, I hear that there's something important to do with Pixie. Do I need to keep it the way it starts or can I evolve it/level it/etc? Don't accidentally want to gently caress myself out of the ending.

Thanks.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

laplace posted:

Alright, I'm playing Nocturne, going for the TDE. How should I level the demi-fiend? Does it really make or break the game like it did in SMT1/2? Or are there viable builds for all stats like in 4?

Also, I hear that there's something important to do with Pixie. Do I need to keep it the way it starts or can I evolve it/level it/etc? Don't accidentally want to gently caress myself out of the ending.

Thanks.

Go Physical and get Fog Breath, laugh as every boss missed you 80% of the time while you punch them in the face. Or just do whatever you want.

For the Pixie thing, just make sure whatever you fuse it into doesn't leave your party. I'm pretty sure it always stays at the top of your demon list. That said, pretty sure it has nothing to do with TDE, just a little bonus room.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

laplace posted:

You want a physical Demifiend because all his best moves a physical moves, that and Pierce is physical only.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

laplace posted:

Thanks.

Go Strength Based with keeping Focus and Pierce the entire game. Fill the rest of the skill slots with physical attacks, buffs, debuffs (keep that Fog Breath), and healing spells. Pixie will remain in your first slot all the time, even if you fuse her. Just don't use her/her descendant as a sacrifice in fusions. Before going to the obvious final dungeon beat all the Kalpas.
edit: A demon you'll want to keep and refuse all the time is Daisoujou, he's very helpful. Along with Black Frost.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 8, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Neo_Crimson posted:

You want a physical Demifiend because all his best moves a physical moves, that and Pierce is physical only.

You probably want to put a healing spell on him though just to use up MP. I can't remember if MAG affects heal power in this game or not but even if it did, (Me)Diarahan doesn't care.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

laplace posted:

Thanks.

Divine Shot is a really good physical skill you should keep for a long time. It has an innately high crit rate and doesn't miss all the time like the incrementally stronger Iron Claw or whatever its name was.

Of course, it'll eventually be replaced by the one physical Almighty skill you can get.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I guess I'm not too far gone yet, but I'm level 10 and have like 5 STR and 15 MAG. I suppose I'll just pump STR for the rest of the game. Is there a use to pumping AGI?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Edit: haha gently caress you too awful app

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 8, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

I guess I'm not too far gone yet, but I'm level 10 and have like 5 STR and 15 MAG. I suppose I'll just pump STR for the rest of the game. Is there a use to pumping AGI?

IIRC it raises your accuracy and evasion, so pump that and STR for a physical build.

Strange Quark posted:

Divine Shot is a really good physical skill you should keep for a long time. It has an innately high crit rate and doesn't miss all the time like the incrementally stronger Iron Claw or whatever its name was.

Of course, it'll eventually be replaced by the one physical Almighty skill you can get.

Along with this get Deadly Fury/Oni-Kagura (DF has a higher critical rate though) and Spiral Viper is good if you can get it too.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Thanks for the advice! I'll start on a Phys build then. It looks like I'm gonna end up the polar opposite of my SMT4 build, which was a mag-based smirkmachine build.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So is it a thing like going anything but Pistols in Alpha Protocol where a Mag-based build is completely untenable for playing on Normal? Because at the moment I'm enjoying being able to drop most entire encounter groups with Fire/Ice Breath and basically all the Magatama I have access to at the moment are focused on magic. I'd really like to stay as a caster if it is remotely playable. I haven't explored Ginza yet, I only just arrived. Do physical Magatama beside the first one start showing up soon?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

So is it a thing like going anything but Pistols in Alpha Protocol where a Mag-based build is completely untenable for playing on Normal? Because at the moment I'm enjoying being able to drop most entire encounter groups with Fire/Ice Breath and basically all the Magatama I have access to at the moment are focused on magic. I'd really like to stay as a caster if it is remotely playable. I haven't explored Ginza yet, I only just arrived. Do physical Magatama beside the first one start showing up soon?

The problem is magic builds are fine for pretty much everything except the final TDE boss where magic does jack poo poo

Also the skill you get to make physical attacks effective against him is very very difficult to get on anyone but yourself

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Magic is absolutely viable for 99% of the game. To be honest it's still viable for the True Demon Ending if you're willing to be a buffbot and support guy instead of the primary damage dealer.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Honestly it doesn't matter much. The stat cap is 40, so between Magatama and Incenses you generally won't be hurting for stat points in any area. People recommend Str-based builds because it's simpler than trying to make sure you have the right elemental spells around. That and the Pierce skill only works with Str-based stuff, so.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

projecthalaxy posted:

Pistols are massively overpowered in Alpha Protocol due to that bullet time ability.

Real talk: Magic builds are fine, but the bonus/true final boss has massive resistance to everything that you can break with a skill you get for clearing the Labyrinth of Amala that only applies to physical attacks. There are some REALLY good late game physical attacks too. Honestly magic builds are better for the first half of the game and it's only around the last few dungeons physical starts to edge it out. You can get Pierce on your demons, although it's a bit troublesome to do so, so really you can go with a magic build and still clear the True Demon ending if you want.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TurnipFritter posted:

Honestly it doesn't matter much. The stat cap is 40, so between Magatama and Incenses you generally won't be hurting for stat points in any area. People recommend Str-based builds because it's simpler than trying to make sure you have the right elemental spells around. That and the Pierce skill only works with Str-based stuff, so.

Does Pierce work with Magma Axis? Hell, is Magma Axis STR-based? I know it costs HP but I've heard mixed reports on whether it does STR or MAG-based damage.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The physical skill animations overall just plain look cooler too. :v:

jonjonaug posted:

You can get Pierce on your demons, although it's a bit troublesome to do so, so really you can go with a magic build and still clear the True Demon ending if you want.

I did this even though I was running a physical build and it involves a lot of grinding for Macca. Especially if you want to get Pierce on Metatron.

Don't get Pierce on Metatron. It's not worth it.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 8, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Prism posted:

Does Pierce work with Magma Axis? Hell, is Magma Axis STR-based? I know it costs HP but I've heard mixed reports on whether it does STR or MAG-based damage.

You wanna test it out? I'd like to but I lent my copy to a friend.
If someone wants to beat TDE with a Magic build it's fine, it'll just take longer and require more resources compared to a Strength build.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

OK thank you very much everyone. I will probably just keep being a caster and vomiting various elements at everyone. I'll probably not even go for the true ending the first time, save that for NG+. Also the "you're about to have a random battle" flashing on the compass is a really nice feature more JRPGs should have.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
They had that in DDS as well, right? I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neeksy posted:

They had that in DDS as well, right? I can't remember.

I think it was in all the PS2 games with random encounters. Both Raidou games had it as well.

It's a pretty common thing Atlus does. I think it's also in all the Etrian Odyssey games.