Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

Oahu is literally just full of chinese people with a hawaiian accent. And there's so much spam everywhere, you'd think the poo poo grows on trees. Why do Hawaiians love spam so much? This is a question I hope is answered one day. I hate Hawaii.

"There's too many chinamen in my perfect weather island paradise" is the epitome of firstworldproblems.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sober posted:

15 maybe. 18 seems awfully close to 22-24 though. Hope it's just for this season and 13 is what they plan to work with and never break 20.

God, they could barely keep the show interesting for 13 episodes let alone another load on top of that. Hopefully they actually plan poo poo out in advance this time and do a better job of feeling consistent so that characters and storylines don't appear and disappear with no reason.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Maui or bust.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Today in things that will never happen but get hype anyway news.
Spielberg's Halo series close to a deal with Showtime.

Augh you got gamers in my TV criticism forum!

The funny part is that this was supposed to be exclusive to members of XBox Live Gold, but the XB1 took such a steaming poo poo that not only can Microsoft not afford to keep it to themselves, they have to give another network first dibs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

The funny part is that this was supposed to be exclusive to members of XBox Live Gold, but the XB1 took such a steaming poo poo that not only can Microsoft not afford to keep it to themselves, they have to give another network first dibs.

Hey! You need to be nicer to multi trillion dollar multinational corporations!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

What do you mean never happen? The Halo series is 100% going to happen duders, it's what Microsoft has been hyping for the Microsoft Xbox One: The All-In-One Entertainment System for over a year

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

Why do Hawaiians love spam so much? This is a question I hope is answered one day. I hate Hawaii.

It was the only affordable "meat" you could get there for a long time. So it kind of just stuck, or all the methheads are trying to save money still. Who knows.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

My question is how and why did Homeland go so bad so quickly

I mean season 2 was an inconsistent mess but it had one of the best episodes of the series

Everything I've read about season three seems like one massive tailspin

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 3 has an exciting last few episodes and I'm looking forward to season 4.

Showtime shows always fall off the rails. Homeland is also from the 24 team so that's the explanation there,

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Homeland's original sin was being unable to part with Brody in season 1.

It then goes and commits the sin again with season 2. Now you're extending his story into a third seasons and that's farther than it really has any right to. Note that his character/stance/arc does virtually nothing more in season 3 than in season 2.

Actually, I'm not quite so convinced season 1 was spectacular either. It was a great study in acting from the two leads but it didn't pick up at all until "The Weekend" which is halfway through. Sure, there's a lot of will-she-find-out and "who's involved" guessing going on but that first half is all family drama bullshit and plodding setup.

The last half was great with the finale maybe the most tense piece of television put to film ever.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the family drama bullshit was great in season 1, it was only when they spun Dana off into her own adventures that, one, we all learned Dana's actress actually is not good at all, and two that her entire subplot was stupid bullshit stalling until the very transparently clear "this is how it's gonna tie into the main story" part happens

But yeah part of why season 1 was so wondrous was because it balanced the cia thriller with the mundane family life aspects, implying the show was going to be something more than what it was

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

A question about TVIV itself: Why do you have to make a new thread for every episode? There are general threads for when a show is between things (like the Doctor Who thread) and for others, you make a new thread for every new episode. Why is this? To me, it just seems like a waste. Is it just easier to do this, or is there something I'm missing?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

PriorMarcus posted:

God, they could barely keep the show interesting for 13 episodes let alone another load on top of that. Hopefully they actually plan poo poo out in advance this time and do a better job of feeling consistent so that characters and storylines don't appear and disappear with no reason.

Sure you aren't watching Turn by mistake? Because the Sleepy Hollow I saw was pretty much the opposite of what you described.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thunderfinger posted:

A question about TVIV itself: Why do you have to make a new thread for every episode? There are general threads for when a show is between things (like the Doctor Who thread) and for others, you make a new thread for every new episode. Why is this? To me, it just seems like a waste. Is it just easier to do this, or is there something I'm missing?

Some shows are big enough that if they just had one thread it would be massive by the end of the season.

And then some, like Game of Thrones, do a new thread for every episode because by Thursday after an episode airs it gets dumb as hell in the thread and they go for a fresh start.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thunderfinger posted:

Basically Game of Thrones is like Iocaine Powder, right, and the only way to not kill TVIV with it is by building up its immunity by poisoning TVIV a little at a time, as opposed to taking a whole season all at once

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the forum software got hosed up when threads got too big.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the forum software got hosed up when threads got too big.
That was back in 2006 or 2007, I think. That limitation hasn't existed for a while.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

That was back in 2006 or 2007, I think. That limitation hasn't existed for a while.

And with the exception of Game of Thrones, neither have per episode threads.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Irish Joe posted:

And with the exception of Game of Thrones, neither have per episode threads.

I can't check because the Archives are hosed, but doesn't Doctor Who have per-episode threads?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

GreenNight posted:

Sleepy Hollow episode order for season 2 was upped to 15 episodes with plans for 18.

Fox is prob just trying to pad out its schedule some with the only show that got even semi-decent ratings this past tv season.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Decius posted:

I can't check because the Archives are hosed, but doesn't Doctor Who have per-episode threads?

I know Doctor Who got a new thread for each of the specials last year, but I'm not quite sure why since all they talk about in those threads are radio dramas, dvd restorations and which old British guy they want to gently caress the most (spoilers: its always Troughton).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Occupation posted:

I think the family drama bullshit was great in season 1, it was only when they spun Dana off into her own adventures that, one, we all learned Dana's actress actually is not good at all, and two that her entire subplot was stupid bullshit stalling until the very transparently clear "this is how it's gonna tie into the main story" part happens

But yeah part of why season 1 was so wondrous was because it balanced the cia thriller with the mundane family life aspects, implying the show was going to be something more than what it was

Actually, Dana's story in season 1 was pretty great. I thought it was a nice way to get past all the post-POW Brody-PTSD stuff and segue him into more normal situations. There was a lot of touching moments there between Dana and Brody with Dana bringing Brody's humanity back out.

I couldn't stand Jessica's plot which was boring and went nowhere in the show really. And then the show had no idea how to use her for the rest of the series.

Season 1's whole set up was the audience knowing there was a bomb under the proverbial table and waiting on when someone would show up to make it blow up. So yeah, Season 1 does great things to balance the POW story with the CIA/Terrorism plot but that's only as good as the payoff. And the show stepped back from delivering on that payoff at the very last moment and, I would argue, never recovered from that mistake.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I was talking about dana's season 2 plot, not her season 1 plot.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Decius posted:

Only a handful of shows still do, like GoT, and Doctor Who. In other words, shows that have both a lot of posting traffic and enough terrible posting that it helps settle things down to start a new thread for every episode. The vast majority of shows have seasonal threads.

Edit: (I had Community listed here but even that "graduated" to a single thread.)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

At the rate Cortana's character design keeps regressing I'm not surprised they had to move to cable. :sonia:

I really have no idea what the appeal of a Halo movie/tv show is or why they've been pushing the idea for so long. It's a game about a nameless faceless supersoldier mowing down ~wacky~ aliens and grim space zombies with candy-colored laser weapons, it can be fun to play but the story, characters, and art direction aren't unique enough to justify the huge expense and creative control that Microsoft imposes.

They made a webseries and 90% of it was a bunch of teenagers in Space Bootcamp that could have been divorced from the Halo license with zero effect on the final product.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Who wants to do the upfront threads this year? I'll give Yoshifan the first crack at it as he's done them with me in the last few but I don't have the time to do them this year so somebody will need to help him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

...of SCIENCE! posted:

At the rate Cortana's character design keeps regressing I'm not surprised they had to move to cable. :sonia:

I really have no idea what the appeal of a Halo movie/tv show is or why they've been pushing the idea for so long. It's a game about a nameless faceless supersoldier mowing down ~wacky~ aliens and grim space zombies with candy-colored laser weapons, it can be fun to play but the story, characters, and art direction aren't unique enough to justify the huge expense and creative control that Microsoft imposes.

They made a webseries and 90% of it was a bunch of teenagers in Space Bootcamp that could have been divorced from the Halo license with zero effect on the final product.

There is no appeal from a story standpoint. The games simply made a shitload of money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I thought the webseries was pretty good :shrug:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deadpool posted:

Who wants to do the upfront threads this year? I'll give Yoshifan the first crack at it as he's done them with me in the last few but I don't have the time to do them this year so somebody will need to help him.

Yoshifan won't be able to do them either. So we'll be looking for a couple of people that will have the time to do it. Let me know if you're interested.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

Yoshifan won't be able to do them either. So we'll be looking for a couple of people that will have the time to do it. Let me know if you're interested.

What exactly are the Upfront threads?

Also, I should be probated for two weeks since I lost a toxx. Just letting you know.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

What exactly are the Upfront threads?

Also, I should be probated for two weeks since I lost a toxx. Just letting you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upfront

And on the second matter, we'll bank those for now and I or OSG will use them later at our discretion.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I guess I could help, my schedule for the immediate future is pretty empty.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I thought the webseries was pretty good :shrug:

Forward unto Dawn was good yeah, but only when you're judging it with "it's a webseries" and "it's based on HALO" in mind.

I don't see how you make a HALO series and don't have it be as interminably boring and repetitive as... well, a HALO game.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upfront

And on the second matter, we'll bank those for now and I or OSG will use them later at our discretion.

I think I'll pass on the Upfront thread. I'll get a clearer idea after seeing someone else do it.

And aww, I was hoping to hang out at the HelloGiggles forum for the next two weeks. Sounds like a good plan though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'll do the NBC upfront thread

ed: Also it'll be an easy way to find me if Community gets cancelled

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Occupation posted:

I'll do the NBC upfront thread

ed: Also it'll be an easy way to find me if Community gets cancelled

Only if you actually use punctuation.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Deadpool posted:

Only if you actually use punctuation.

Hmmm() Okay;

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Replace all periods with interrobangs.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Irish Joe posted:

I know Doctor Who got a new thread for each of the specials last year, but I'm not quite sure why since all they talk about in those threads are radio dramas, dvd restorations and which old British guy they want to gently caress the most (spoilers: its always Troughton).

Now I know you're just being wrong for the sake of being wrong.

Everyone knows it's Colin Baker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrAristocrates posted:

Replace all periods with interrobangs.

It's Occ so exclamation points! :v:

• Locked thread