Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

ynohtna posted:

Not that anyone but professional mastering engineers should attempt mastering, but Ian Shepherd's Perception plug-in sure is the bee's knees for accurately assessing the impact of a processing chain for those of us who happily ignore best practices :

http://productionadvice.co.uk/perception/
Sold! Nice find; I'm familiar with MeterPlugs but this thing's not listed on their site- you can only get it through that link you posted.

For A/B comparisons, I've been using Sample Magic's Magic AB: http://www.samplemagic.com/details/184/magic-ab

The first version had trouble with MP3s, but they just released a fix for that. Anyway, you can load up to 9 different reference tracks in it and strap it across your master bus. You can set repeats and loops in each reference track and switch between your DAW source and the reference tracks really easily.

I'm curious to try Perception for this as well, although the real value I see in perception is removing the guesswork from level matching when trying to determine whether your processing is really making a positive difference. Love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
The website is too snake-oily for my taste – it reminds me of nothing so much as the Dr. Drum scam. edit: http://meterplugs.com/perception better

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

wayfinder posted:

The website is too snake-oily for my taste – it reminds me of nothing so much as the Dr. Drum scam.

I was really thinking the same thing. It's like an infomercial in website format. Or the web version of this:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

wayfinder posted:

The website is too snake-oily for my taste – it reminds me of nothing so much as the Dr. Drum scam. edit: http://meterplugs.com/perception better
Yeah, I don't know why they're marketing it this way- that meterplugs.com link you found isn't accessible from meterplugs' own front page. I would have felt the same way, based on the presentation, but I use their K-Meter plugin so I knew they were legit.

And if you watch the video it is nowhere near Dr. Drum levels of idiocy- even though that landing page is admittedly startlingly similar.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
NOT NEEDED!

Thats hilarious

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Can't decide whether it's clever or dumb of them using an example of how the mastering made the source material worse in the video.

On the one hand it tells you exactly why you need it. On the other hand you can ask yourself: how well is using it working out for this guy?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I find the price a little steep for what it does, too. Even at 30% off it's a hundred bucks for a slight gain in convenience...

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

wayfinder posted:

I find the price a little steep for what it does, too. Even at 30% off it's a hundred bucks for a slight gain in convenience...
$100 is my "impulse buy" threshold. Any more than that and I won't buy something unless I feel I have an immediate use for it.

But as far as this Perception thing is concerned, it's something that I've actually been wishing for the past couple of years- a way to A/B my master chain settings that eliminates volume bias.

I've got a couple tracks in progress at the moment and will use it on both. Will report back here if it doesn't work out.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Some online vendors are selling a "special edition" of FXpansion Geist (which includes an expansion pack) for $50 USD, which is $200 off MSRP. Musician's Friend sold out, but I've seen it other places, including Amazon. FXpansion claims the deal is legit.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
MF showed as in stock for me. Just bought a copy, thanks a bunch for the heads up!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

Some online vendors are selling a "special edition" of FXpansion Geist (which includes an expansion pack) for $50 USD, which is $200 off MSRP. Musician's Friend sold out, but I've seen it other places, including Amazon. FXpansion claims the deal is legit.
Thanks for this, sent to a friend (also a goon). Meant to ask, who here already uses Geist, and of those, how do you like it/how do you use it in your workflow?

$50 is a tempting impulse buy, even though I don't need another drum machine VST, but I'm curious to hear what people like about it. I already have Maschine: would actually I use this?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

MF showed as in stock for me. Just bought a copy, thanks a bunch for the heads up!
Oh good; they were 404ing when I followed a link to it there; must have been a temporary thing.

minidracula posted:

Thanks for this, sent to a friend (also a goon). Meant to ask, who here already uses Geist, and of those, how do you like it/how do you use it in your workflow?

$50 is a tempting impulse buy, even though I don't need another drum machine VST, but I'm curious to hear what people like about it. I already have Maschine: would actually I use this?
I'm a Maschine owner who never had much success actually using Maschine in any real projects, mostly due to timing concerns when loading it as a DAW plugin.

The Geist/Tremor pattern editing model is super fun (and for my own purposes, much more usable than I found Maschine).

For anyone who doesn't already have a step/pattern drum editor or drum sampler in their arsenal, it's a must-buy at this price. If you already have an effective solution, I guess it's more of a nice-to-have.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 9, 2014

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I just bought it. I use Battery, and edit through Cubase's drum maps, but I find Battery fiddly and the non-standardized layout of kits annoying. I already like and use other FXpansion products, so I went for it. Thanks for the heads up.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I have Battery and BFD for drums, but for $50 I just can't resist a toy that sparkly.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

BKPR posted:

I need some awful choir sounds. The cheesiest poo poo possible, while being recognizable as an attempt at a human voice. Any plugins/samples you guys can recommend?

A bit late but UVI Mello is good for 'bad' choir. It's occasionally given away for free e.g. buy one of their other products get Mello free.
http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/mello.html

INIL Choir might be what you need also:
http://www.hollowsun.com/HS2/products/inil/
http://www.sampletekk.com/proddetail.php?prod=STDELIVER-038-FORMAT

Sonic Couture released a crowd-sourced choir as well:
http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/28-rare-and-experimental/g38-crowdchoir/

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Awesome, thanks!

On the topic of sample libraries, Is there any program for changing tags on Kontakt libraries outside of Kontakt itself? Some stuff I've been downloading is a mess, and I'd like to be able to change the names/tags etc without having to edit each instrument individually.

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:
Could somebody recommend a VSTi in the same vein as Nexus? I love Nexus to bits but have found myself using it far too much than perhaps I should (literally every track in the last few years has at least one nexus channel)

I'm looking for something with a lot of presets, but also lets you roll your own with relative ease. Lots of bleep bloops and synth goodness.

Thanks!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Pixotic posted:

Could somebody recommend a VSTi in the same vein as Nexus? I love Nexus to bits but have found myself using it far too much than perhaps I should (literally every track in the last few years has at least one nexus channel)

I'm looking for something with a lot of presets, but also lets you roll your own with relative ease. Lots of bleep bloops and synth goodness.

Thanks!

Omnisphere.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't see a Reaktor thread, so I'll post this here:

Is there a way to MAX(a, b)? I'm trying to create a cascaded EG (8 outputs, each successive one delayed X more) and I want the master signal to control release of all of the outputs. It would be easy if I could just MAX them, but I don't see that function anywhere.

edit:

Posted moments too soon. Got a solution with a Compare, two Multiplies and an Add per successive output. It looks NASTY, but it works.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 15, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Radiapathy posted:

Thanks for posting this, I picked it up since I've been dissatisfied with Battery lately- the last point version release of 3.x has a huge unfixed bug that causes it's output to go mute after anywhere between 30 seconds and 10 minutes, and I haven't upgraded to 4 because I'm not loving a lot of the changes to it (also haven't had cash handy to blow on a Komplete upgrade).

Guess I'll see how it is when it arrives.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

Thanks for posting this, I picked it up since I've been dissatisfied with Battery lately- the last point version release of 3.x has a huge unfixed bug that causes it's output to go mute after anywhere between 30 seconds and 10 minutes, and I haven't upgraded to 4 because I'm not loving a lot of the changes to it
Battery 4 totally blows. Great UI, some nice kits, but in terms of building your own kits it is several steps backward from B3. Absolutely an incomprehensible change.

I am curious about the B3 bug though? Was this a recent update? (I probably haven't updated B3 since I installed K8.)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Radiapathy posted:

Battery 4 totally blows. Great UI, some nice kits, but in terms of building your own kits it is several steps backward from B3. Absolutely an incomprehensible change.

I am curious about the B3 bug though? Was this a recent update? (I probably haven't updated B3 since I installed K8.)

Yeah, I believe it was one of, if not the, final release of B3. NI won't respond to people posting about the issue in their forums (there's a big thread about it there), and I cannot for the life of me find any of the installers for an older version (which all worked fine for me); since I moved, I can't find my DVDs anywhere so I can't even try installing a previous version. :(

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

In the Holy loving poo poo department, people are reporting spontaneously losing legitimate licenses from their iLoks.

There's a developing thread at the Avid forum with numerous reports. It starts off sounding like PACE was just going through some auditing measures on some possibly sketchy license transfers. But then things get scary.

If this poo poo is for real, it's gonna be worse than when PACE went offline for three weeks last year due to license migration issues.

PACE just posted. At the moment they're claiming that all affected parties did have sketchy license transfers...

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 18, 2014

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
This is bad, and I hope PACE eats it for real this time.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

This is bad, and I hope PACE eats it for real this time.

Yeah but as long as AVID uses them as their authorization system, we're gonna be stuck with them.

edit: or maybe a revolt from either several plugin developers or a big one like Waves (lol, never going to happen)

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 19, 2014

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Cross-posting from the synthesizers thread (where I initially posted about Scope [now called Quadrant; see below]) in case people here might be interested:

minidracula posted:

I know this is a VST (boo! hiss!) and I'm a dirty software person (kill the heretic!), but has anyone here looked at and/or played with Scope?

Synthtopia page on it

Actual Glitchmachines product page

The first YouTube video (from the Synthtopia page) is a pretty good general overview, without getting into patching details. He covers that in another video.

For only $49, and with the modular sample library, and the flexibility, I'm terribly tempted...
Apologies for the self-quoting, but for anyone else who was interested in this, it seems Glitchmachines just renamed it, possibly due to the naming issues some posters/commenters brought up on Synthtopia? So now it's called Quadrant, and can be found here: http://www.glitchmachines.com/products/quadrant/

I know this because I just went to their website to buy it and couldn't find it, had a :psyduck: moment where I thought they pulled it entirely, then clicked around and found this.

See also this post from BKPR in the synth thread if you're interested in a list of what all modules this thing has: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617837&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post428322443

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

minidracula posted:

See also this post from BKPR in the synth thread if you're interested in a list of what all modules this thing has: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617837&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post428322443

He's finally put this info up on the product page, after what, two weeks?

After looking at the module list I figured I'd just make do with what I've got. The demo was impressive but I feel confident I could replicate what I liked about that with a regular FM synth with decent modulation options.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

JRRShop currently has UVI's Vintage Legends package for $199 (down from the usual $349). I'm a big fan of UVI's stuff, but I only pick it up when it's on sale. Just got this one, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

NOTE: JRRShop seems to have a standing coupon code for a 10% discount on all orders. The coupon code is: FORUM

They're also running a pretty big sale on FXpansion products, although curiously their Geist offer doesn't match the current special still available at Musician's Friend. Anyway they've got Synth Squad for $99 (regularly $249), and Tremor for $99 (regularly $149).

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

JRRShop currently has UVI's Vintage Legends package for $199 (down from the usual $349). I'm a big fan of UVI's stuff, but I only pick it up when it's on sale. Just got this one, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

NOTE: JRRShop seems to have a standing coupon code for a 10% discount on all orders. The coupon code is: FORUM

They're also running a pretty big sale on FXpansion products, although curiously their Geist offer doesn't match the current special still available at Musician's Friend. Anyway they've got Synth Squad for $99 (regularly $249), and Tremor for $99 (regularly $149).
Honestly the main thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on buying Geist at that discounted price is that I'm gonna get sent physical media, like a CD-ROM or DVD, an I don't have a convenient way to make that work for me to get it installed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

minidracula posted:

Honestly the main thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on buying Geist at that discounted price is that I'm gonna get sent physical media, like a CD-ROM or DVD, an I don't have a convenient way to make that work for me to get it installed.
Huh?

e: Oh, you meant the Musician's Friend deal, maybe. For $20 you've got a usb DVD drive and you still end up saving.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 24, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Toontrack is releasing EZdrummer 2 next Tuesday. They're making a big deal out of buying EZdrummer now in order to get the free upgrade to 2.0 next week. I don't know if that means they're raising the price when 2.0 comes out or whatever, but hear this:

Next week they're going to be invalidating any current offers to get EZdrummer Lite for free. They've already scrubbed information about the Lite version from their site in preparation for the release. But if you have a KORG or Presonus hardware product that came with an offer to get EZdrummer lite, you can still register it (until next week) in order to get the Lite->Full upgrade price. I just went through my box of manuals and found the coupon that came with my little KORG nanoKey2 last year, and was able to get an EzDrummer Lite key, register it, and then use it to get full EzDrummer with the "Lite Upgrade" option.

Ended up costing $99- looks like this saved me $70 off the normal retail.

Anyway, if you're interested in EZ2 and you've got one of those coupons laying around, now's the time to use it.

BONUS: The card doesn't mention this but in addition to the other stuff the KORG thing offers, I also got a free license for the UVI Digital Synsations vintage synth library. (And I just bought that one last month! Doh!) Anyway, it's a $199 library (at least I caught it on a $99 sale), and it's nice- so do pick it up if you've got a coupon!

EDIT: This is kinda weird. The EZDrummer that I downloaded upon purchase was 32-bit only. The ReadMe it came with said you had to install and authorize the 32-bit version in order to be able to download the 64-bit version. Strange as gently caress, but okay. So I install and authorize 32-bit and go to my registration page on the site, attempt to download the updates it says I've got waiting, and each of the three update links it gives me 404 out. The files aren't there anymore. "Well, whatever," I think, because I only did this in order to get in on EZDrummer 2 when it's released. And then I noticed that I already had an EZDrummer 2 registration in my account... and I clicked it... and I'm now downloading EZDrummer2. So that's nice?

EDIT 2: Toontrack just emailed me:

quote:

Dear EZdrummer 2 customer

Due to unforeseen technical issues during the launch of our new website yesterday, all registered owners of EZdrummer 2 were able to download the program from their user accounts. Unfortunately, this was not intended since the version that was available for download is a beta that has not yet gone through its final testing...

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 29, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Can anyone recommend a good vst for realtime vocal harmonies in the $200 or under range ideally that doesn't require a stupid usb fob thing?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
This isnt bad. Can not guarantee it will deliver what you want.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That looks pretty close to what I'm after actually, thanks!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
My friend used it quite extensively on this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByeOIbE1pLE

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I made a video that illustrates how bad Battery 4 blows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxcf5oMhNlA

Hopefully I'll be able to let this issue go now (and hopefully Battery 3 will continue to work fine for me until there's an adequate replacement).

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Has anyone picked up a Maschine Studio? Someone who has been using it? Any reports? I'm idly curious. I already own Maschine (Mk 1., both Mikro and Original), but they're not with me at the moment. Wondering what the real-world use cases are for Studio.

Radiapathy posted:

I made a video that illustrates how bad Battery 4 blows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxcf5oMhNlA

Hopefully I'll be able to let this issue go now (and hopefully Battery 3 will continue to work fine for me until there's an adequate replacement).
Thanks for making this, this was really informative. I haven't used Battery 4, just Battery 3 (last Komplete I purchased was Komplete 7), but this definitely highlights some of the (unfortunate) differences between the two. Battery 3 still looks pretty good!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

For the past couple of weeks, the Native Instruments forum has been getting slammed hardcore by link spammers. As I write this, 17 out of the 20 most recent threads on the forum were posted by spammers (they start about 1 new thread per minute).

No idea where their moderators have been lately.

SableDoux
Apr 26, 2014

Radiapathy posted:

For the past couple of weeks, the Native Instruments forum has been getting slammed hardcore by link spammers. As I write this, 17 out of the 20 most recent threads on the forum were posted by spammers (they start about 1 new thread per minute).

No idea where their moderators have been lately.

drat, that's hard to look at. It's been like that for weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Waves SoundShifter seems to still be regarded as the best real-time pitch-shifter plugin, and I've had my eye on it for a while. Its normal $500 retail price is way above my "impulse buy" threshold. Well last night I got an email that JRRShop was offering it for $149 (and you can get 11% off that with the FORUM coupon code), so I bought it immediately.

Last night I even went to Waves.com to double-check and it was still listed at $500. Today it's listed on Waves.com at $149, and it's not appearing on their Specials page, and not listing its "Regular" $500 price, so I wonder if this is not a sale, but actually a price drop?

In any case, if you were thinking about getting this thing, now's the time to do it.