Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't John Doman playing one of the mobsters? (Rawls from The Wire)

Also, I want to point out again that Pinkett-Smith's character is called 'Fish', almost definitely so they can do the joke where Cobblepot notes that Penguins eat Fish. I'm not sure WHICH of the two possible contexts is more likely, though.

Amazing casting for Great White Shark, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm loving how Agents of SHIELD has become an exercise of hinting that they're going to go with the blatant redemption arc for Ward, only to smack it out of your hand and go, "NOPE!"

"Look, Garrett told Ward to kill his dog years ago and he instead scared the dog away with a warning shot! He's not such a bad guy after-- haha, just kidding. He shot the dog after that. He's a loving rear end in a top hat."

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Clearly Jada Pinkett Smith's arc is to eventually become ORCA THE WHALE WOMAN :ssj:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gavok posted:

I'm loving how Agents of SHIELD has become an exercise of hinting that they're going to go with the blatant redemption arc for Ward, only to smack it out of your hand and go, "NOPE!"

"Look, Garrett told Ward to kill his dog years ago and he instead scared the dog away with a warning shot! He's not such a bad guy after-- haha, just kidding. He shot the dog after that. He's a loving rear end in a top hat."
He has to kill things from far away where he can't feel as bad

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

achillesforever6 posted:

He has to kill things from far away where he can't feel as bad

It made strangling Patton Oswalt to death really difficult.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Gavok posted:

Nooooo, not Oswalt :(

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gavok posted:

I know you are joking, but I meant more in people/things that he kind of cares about.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

This is a Whedon show, Ward is getting his redemption eventually to become the snarky anti-hero. I mean Buffy had murderer and attempted rapist Spike become the sacrificial hero, even Ward hasn't sunk to that level yet.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That was after Whedon had abandoned the show for Angel and let Marti Noxon run it but didn't want to change the redeemed evil vampire is the key ending. Ward has broken two cardinal rules killed a comic relief character and killed a dog he'll get a deathbed redemption at best.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

SirDan3k posted:

That was after Whedon had abandoned the show for Angel and let Marti Noxon run it but didn't want to change the redeemed evil vampire is the key ending. Ward has broken two cardinal rules killed a comic relief character and killed a dog he'll get a deathbed redemption at best.

Well I meant the Whedon term loosely given that it's not a "true" Joss Whedon show but redemption is still redemption! What I mean is that Ward isn't going to die slowly while shouting "I always thought you were a bitch" to Skye he's going to either save the day or team up with them because deep down there is good in him.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Waterhaul posted:

Well I meant the Whedon term loosely given that it's not a "true" Joss Whedon show but redemption is still redemption! What I mean is that Ward isn't going to die slowly while shouting "I always thought you were a bitch" to Skye he's going to either save the day or team up with them because deep down there is good in him.

Even Spike never killed a dog. In TV logic killing a dog is worse than attempted rape.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

XboxPants posted:

Even Spike never killed a dog. In TV logic killing a dog is worse than attempted rape.

It's more basic then that. Any violence directed at a hero/heroine can be forgiven by the hero/heroine and only serves to portray the hero/heroine as super humanly righteous but forgiving the violence directed at the universally innocent, and slightly characterized, is seen as a betrayal of the hero/heroine's role in the story.

Ward's violence was directed at established archetypal characterizations while a villain who gets redeemed's victims are only characterized after the fact as a part of the emotional crucible they must endure to be cleansed of sin. Redeeming Ward would be far to unconventional for the level the show operates at.

Buffy as a whole is a bad example as they had the soulless monstrosity gets their soul back redemption shortcut.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's not like there haven't been characters in comics that have done worse things than Ward and been redeemed afterwards (usually due to their death). Ward dying to prevent Garrett from killing Skye is exactly the kind of thing I could see them doing in the finale.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not like there haven't been characters in comics that have done worse things than Ward and been redeemed afterwards (usually due to their death). Ward dying to prevent Garrett from killing Skye is exactly the kind of thing I could see them doing in the finale.

We'll get our cake and eat it too. He'll die sacrificing himself for the team, then take a trip to Tahiti and come back with super powers.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

ToastyPotato posted:

I still maintain the best possible show would have been one about Bruce's parents and their involvement with Gotham's secret societies for rich people. You could still get the Cobblepots that way, and get some Arkham stuff going too.

I agree, or even as someone suggested just GCPD. You could reference the Bat, but these are the guys working every day, etc in this crazy city. With the idea of the show centering on the Wayne family, you could end it on the day they take Bruce to the Zorro film. End of show. We all know what happens.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Odds on a time skip before season 2?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Mimir posted:

Odds on a time skip before season 2?

Fantastically low. Now a time skip BETWEEN seasons? Higher. But if it were to happen I wouldn't expect it before the "Toootallly no Justice League movie... WE SWEAR!" comes out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think most people are okay with that. I would be.

What nobody wants is Ward re-joining the team somehow.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So do ya'll think that this (edit for clarity: Agents of SHIELD) will tie in more directly with GotG by the end of the season? Yea we got Kree, but something a little more substantive than an offhand reference? I mean, GotG could be the biggest movie coming out this August after all.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 7, 2014

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

ToastyPotato posted:

Fantastically low. Now a time skip BETWEEN seasons? Higher. But if it were to happen I wouldn't expect it before the "Toootallly no Justice League movie... WE SWEAR!" comes out.

"I Can't Believe It's Not a Justice League Movie"?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

hi liter posted:

So do ya'll think that this (edit for clarity: Agents of SHIELD) will tie in more directly with GotG by the end of the season? Yea we got Kree, but something a little more substantive than an offhand reference? I mean, GotG could be the biggest movie coming out this August after all.

Only one episode left, so probably not.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Waterhaul posted:

This is a Whedon show, Ward is getting his redemption eventually to become the snarky anti-hero. I mean Buffy had murderer and attempted rapist Spike become the sacrificial hero, even Ward hasn't sunk to that level yet.

They underlined that he was working for a Nazi organization and this episode he murdered a dog (and ostensibly left the two meekest cast members to suffocate at the bottom of the ocean). This show can't afford to keep Bill Paxton on the payroll forever, it's more likely Ward is being set up as the next season's big bad, he sure isn't coming back from all that baggage in one 44 minute episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, it could go either way. They could use his inability to kill anyone he 'likes' from up close as proof there was good in him all along, or just that he's a coward who doesn't want to get his hands truly dirty.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

hi liter posted:

I don't see how they could pull off a tie-in when, by all accounts, GotG pretty much entirely takes place in space (Except perhaps a little bit of Peter Quill origin, which would take place on Earth in the 80s). There is only one more episode left in the season, I don't see any way to get there.

Edit: Unless by tie-in you mean Agents of Shield has a Kree and GotG has Kree, because then sure, they could pull that off in the last episode.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 8, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mikeraskol posted:

I don't see how they could pull off a tie-in when, by all accounts, GotG pretty much entirely takes place in space (Except perhaps a little bit of Peter Quill origin, which would take place on Earth in the 80s). There is only one more episode left in the season, I don't see any way to get there.

Edit: Unless by tie-in you mean Agents of Shield has a Kree and GotG has Kree, because then sure, they could pull that off in the last episode.

I can only imagine now Peter's dad (Jason isn't it?) at an earth party going all Zaphod to some girl in the 80s "Hey baby, I'm from another planet, wanna see my spaceship? (ps i have coke)"

But yea, I could see the first MCU offical mention of the existence of Kree coming from AoS in the last episode.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 8, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SIF already confirmed the Kree exist in her AOS episode.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Starling City in Arrow is pretty much like Gotham City in the Batman comics. It pretty much gets destroyed every year.
Last night's episode was pretty awesome though, and it did give a few great character moments (specifically between Felicity and Oliver). Also Merlyn is back and that was fun to see. He also had the best line of the night in regards to being out of arrows.
One thing I wasn't too crazy about was the arrival or ARGUS and Waller saying that she would blow up a major metropolitan because some guys have super soldier serum running through them. It isn't like a contagious disease or anything but she is pretty much willing to kill a few 100,00 people anyway. When I saw the tanks pull up and the cop says they aren't army I thought it would be the League of Assassins and my expectations went sky high, so yea, I was disappointed.
Otherwise pretty solid episode over all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Flash has been ordered to series.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Gotham showrunner gives first major interview about the show: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/gotham-interview/

Is certain that it will be the best thing ever, with the best Bruce Wayne ever and the best cinematography of any Batman related thing.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Aphrodite posted:

The Flash has been ordered to series.

As has iZombie.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

And Constantine too for series now.

Here's the descriptions for Flash and iZombie

quote:

The Flash
EPs | Greg Berlanti (Arrow), Andrew Kreisberg, Geoff Johns, David Nutter, Melissa Kellner Berman
DIRECTOR | David Nutter (Arrow)
CAST | Grant Gustin (Glee), Jesse L. Martin (Law & Order), Danielle Panabaker (Shark), Rick Cosnett (The Vampire Diaries), Candice Patton (The Game), Tom Cavanagh (Ed), John Wesley Shipp (the 90s The Flash), Carlos Valdes, guest star Patrick Sabongui, recurring star Michelle Harrison (Emily Owens, MD)
Based upon characters published by DC Comics, through a freak accident, scientist Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) is given the power of super speed that transforms him into the Fastest Man Alive.

iZombie
EPs | Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars), Diane Ruggiero, Danielle Stokdyk, Dan Etheridge
CAST | David Anders (Once Upon a Time, Alias), Robert Buckley (One Tree Hill), Rose McIver (Once Upon a Time), Malcolm Goodwin (Breakout Kings), Alexandra Krosney (Last Man Standing), Nora Dunn (Entourage), Rahul Kohli
A med student-turned-zombie takes a job in the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head. Based on the characters created by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred, and published by DC Comics’ Vertigo imprint.

source

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
My coworkers keep looking at me funny because of how giddy I am about the news today. Constantine and The Flash on television? Oh my god it is a great time to be alive. I do need to catch up on Constantine's solo comics run to catch up, though, and this makes a good excuse.

Not familiar with iZombie, but it sounds like it could be good, quirky fare for The CW. It's a premise that's just silly enough to mix humor and horror well if they play their cards right.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I forget, who's Shipp playing in The Flash?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Gaz-L posted:

I forget, who's Shipp playing in The Flash?

I don't think his actual role has been announced yet. Might be wrong.

Axel Serenity posted:

Not familiar with iZombie, but it sounds like it could be good, quirky fare for The CW. It's a premise that's just silly enough to mix humor and horror well if they play their cards right.
FWIW this sounds only very loosely based on the comic - the main character here doesn't even have the same name. Plus in the comics she was a gravedigger rather than a medical examiner, and her friends included the ghost of a girl who died in the 1960s, and a gay wereterrier (yes, wereterrier, not werewolf), none of which seems to have made it into the TV incarnation. That won't make it a bad show in itself, though.

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 8, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
David Anders is awesome. I loved him in Revenant.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I always felt Chew deserved a tv adaptation, but I guess the tv version of iZombie will serve that role.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

goldenoreos posted:

I always felt Chew deserved a tv adaptation, but I guess the tv version of iZombie will serve that role.
Chew's getting an animated movie instead

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

FoneBone posted:

I don't think his actual role has been announced yet. Might be wrong.

FWIW this sounds only very loosely based on the comic - the main character here doesn't even have the same name. Plus in the comics she was a gravedigger rather than a medical examiner, and her friends included the ghost of a girl who died in the 1960s, and a gay wereterrier (yes, wereterrier, not werewolf), none of which seems to have made it into the TV incarnation. That won't make it a bad show in itself, though.

This sounds really interesting and I want to read it. That being said, the TV log line doesn't sound too bad, either. It doesn't sound like they changed things so dramatically it would be unrecognizable, and other characters can always be introduced later. I think the priority was just so heavy on The Flash that iZombie was just an additional thing to this point. It sounds like it could be a fun procedural, which The CW doesn't really have right now.

I mean, I'd be really surprised if a gay wereterrier doesn't end up in this show eventually. It sounds perfectly campy, which is right up The CW alley.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Threep posted:

Chew's getting an animated movie instead

Wait really? That's awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Axel Serenity posted:

This sounds really interesting and I want to read it. That being said, the TV log line doesn't sound too bad, either. It doesn't sound like they changed things so dramatically it would be unrecognizable, and other characters can always be introduced later. I think the priority was just so heavy on The Flash that iZombie was just an additional thing to this point. It sounds like it could be a fun procedural, which The CW doesn't really have right now.

I mean, I'd be really surprised if a gay wereterrier doesn't end up in this show eventually. It sounds perfectly campy, which is right up The CW alley.

Personally I wasn't a big fan of iZombie outside of Alred's awesome artwork.