Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:siren: :siren: HUGE SPOILER :siren: :siren:

http://imgur.com/zgtW2dz

Drangelic is Earth

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Fereydun posted:

I, uh, don't see how this is any different from DS1. What bosses really punished you for greatshielding them with a huge stamina pool and plenty of heals? The easiest run I ever did in DS1 was greatshielding with the zweihander- even Gwyn can't handle that poo poo.

Why do you even need a great shield when you can just Havels + iron flesh?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Demon of Song looks way more interesting than any of the demons in Dark Souls. He is easy as hell though which is a shame.

He was extremely unique looking, protected by a rubbery frog shell. Then his attacks are Slam 1 and Slam 2, but at that point I was just happy to be done with the loving anime shrine.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Fereydun posted:

I, uh, don't see how this is any different from DS1. What bosses really punished you for greatshielding them with a huge stamina pool and plenty of heals? The easiest run I ever did in DS1 was greatshielding with the zweihander- even Gwyn can't handle that poo poo.

Even if it's not different from DS1, I think it's clear that type of boss design has outstayed its welcome at this point. Two games of it is enough.

We need more Chariot/Skeleton Lords/Rat Vanguard, less Velstadt/Giant Lord/Pursuer (although at least his one arena is interesting with the ballista)/slug man who can eat your armor but there's no reason to ever even slightly risk it/dragons who can never do anything if you stay near their feet/Throne Watcher/Lost Sinner etc.

Honestly in designing the next one, they should think "does doing the exact same thing I did to the last boss let me win this fight?" and just scrap anything that doesn't answer that with a "no." Roll timing being a tenth of a second different doesn't constitute an interesting fight.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Going from an almost entirely magic-based playthrough to purely melee really showcases how many of the bosses are ridiculously skewed in favor of ranged characters.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gently caress phantoming for smelter demon. People are loving terrible at this game god drat. I understand if you can't dodge his swings because that's ridiculous, but running headfirst into his explosive attack over and over again? The gently caress is wrong with people.

Also are they really just gonna leave hexes the way they are? :psyduck:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Royal Rat Authority was a really fun fight, once I got the rhythm down. Royal Ray Vanguard, on the other hand, was not.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Noticed the prisoners have writing all over them today

And noticed this when I used Cast Light, the superior lighting solution, in the Gutter :stonk:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 24, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bobnumerotres posted:

Also are they really just gonna leave hexes the way they are? :psyduck:

Hey man, we have no armor and can get killed quickly.

jk

You're dead from GRS x 2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Going from an almost entirely magic-based playthrough to purely melee really showcases how many of the bosses are ridiculously skewed in favor of ranged characters.

Plus, any boss with an NPC phantom is a complete joke to a ranged character as they won't even attack you once they notice the phantom. Lightning is also way too strong, you can kill the Iron King before he reaches the platform and the double Dragonrider boss, while never that hard to begin with can be killed in two casts of Sunlight Spear even in ng+. Melee in general is a lot harder, which is probably why magic doesn't work so well against Vendrick or the Ancient Dragon.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

turtlecrunch posted:

And noticed this when I used Cast Light, the superior lighting solution, in the Gutter :stonk:

Neat as that idea is for the Gutter the textures on those pillars are awful down there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tracula posted:

Neat as that idea is for the Gutter the textures on those pillars are awful down there.

It's understandable that they're not great, you aren't supposed to see them up close and the entire area is pitch black for the most part. Still though, that's creepy as gently caress. The Gutter/Black Gulch are my favorite areas in the game aesthetics-wise.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Plus, any boss with an NPC phantom is a complete joke to a ranged character as they won't even attack you once they notice the phantom. Lightning is also way too strong, you can kill the Iron King before he reaches the platform and the double Dragonrider boss, while never that hard to begin with can be killed in two casts on Sunlight Spear even in ng+. Melee in general is a lot harder, which is probably why magic doesn't work so well against Vendrick or the Ancient Dragon.
Yeah I'm specifically talking about the OIK. He has a ton of large AoE stuff that punishes being closed, but is trivialized by being far away (or especially behind the corner). Hell, you can't even hit him in melee a good amount of the time, and he's straight impossible to circle-strafe. Meanwhile on my miracles playthrough I easily beat him on my second attempt (on my first attempt I discovered there is a hole in the platform).

Seriously as a fast-attacking dex character I might as well not even put my sign down.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 8, 2014

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Fereydun posted:

I totally agree with you on the aesthetic part though- DS1's bosses and boss arenas (especially boss arenas!) have it in spades. The abundance of bosses in DS2 that have their fights happen in a circular arena is way too much, I think. It plays alot into the bosses feeling same-y because the majority of the bosses (especially minibosses) take place in a small, circular room. For the bosses whose aesthetic design I do like, usually the issue is that they're too easy to fight or don't take the concept to some fun/cool extreme (see: Mytha).

I'm probably not even half way through the game yet, but just thinking about who I've fought so far in terms of size and shape of the arena along with how much space there is for movement:

1. Last Giant: given his size, it's rather cramped in that cave, but thankfully he's so slow that it doesn't matter that much.
2. Pursuer: Relatively narrow stretch of wall. Some of my deaths were definitely due to running out of space because I wasn't always keeping track.
3. Dragonrider: A circle, but a small one. One on one I felt that space was at a premium until I discovered on my second try that you can just block his crappy attacks with a shield and suffer little to no stamina loss
4. Old Dragonslayer: Lots of space in that big cathedral. No issue with space at all.
5. Flexile Sentry: I didn't feel cramped at all on the lower deck of the ship mainly because he's loving slow as balls and you can just control his movements by using the giant mast in the middle of the room.
6. Ruin Sentinels: You start off on a tiny platform and that probably migrate to the much larger open space below. The start of the fight is absolutely space limited if you're facing the sentinels for the first time. I assume everyone's strategy for that fight is to kill the first sentinel on the ledge since the other sentinels won't attack you unless you drop off. So the fight starts cramped and then opens up into a ton of space.
7. Lose Sinner: Massive but dark room. Not at all space limiting but had some interesting lock on mechanics.

I mean, that's where I'm at so far. There's still lots of bosses I've not yet faced, but really, only two of them were in circles (if you count the giant's cave a circle, which it roughly is). I guess my point is that so far I haven't met a boss where I've thought 'Hey, I've been in this room before with slightly different decor and a different boss'.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Hey man, we have no armor and can get killed quickly.

jk

You're dead from GRS x 2.

PvPing at the mid-game (right before drangleic), all you see are a. People who are awful at PvP and b. people who use resonant soul to one-shot players.

You can roll past it pretty easy but when latency decides you didn't roll..I just can't believe From thought it was a good idea to have a quick-to-cast spell deal more damage than anything else in the game, enough to one-shot most characters.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 8, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tracula posted:

Yeah it is kind of like someone put a sticky note on a giant sludge column (and the image is just cropped on the sides?) BUT it was a little spooky when I turned around and first saw the one face.

e: there also appears to be a baby skeleton (two-headed) in the upper left and a tire in the upper right - the guy at the top of the page is right about Drangleic

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I had no idea what the difficulty progression of various areas was, so I ended up fighting the 3 ruin guardians or whatever, the big rear end bronze halberd statues, as my second or third boss encounter. After the literally 30 or so rear end beatings required to finally squeeze out a win in that fight, everything else has seemed relatively easy.

The smelter demon would have been a way bigger obstacle if I hadn't had one of those big dumbass dwarf shields that looks like a rock and blocks 100% of fire damage. With that in hand it was pretty easy. The upside of having to fight your way to him repeatedly is that you have a good chance of gathering up all the Alonne captain gear which is by far the coolest looking poo poo in the game.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

CJacobs posted:

Brightstone Cove is a weirdly designed area. There's only one non-shortcut-related path that leads to the boss room and there's at least one area there's no way out of once you enter (the webs on the way to the fog gate can take you down, but not back up). As well, the spider hollows' free hit thing confuses me because there isn't even an animation for it that I can tell; they're just kinda wonky. I did like the spiders coming out of the sand though; as freaky as it was, it reminded me of Half-Life 2 a bit.

After getting hit by the free hit a lot, the only thing I can figure is one of the spider's rear legs that's clenching onto the hollow's waist comes loose and stabs you. Or maybe that's just random limb flailing from them moving around, but that's what I think it is. A waist level rear leg stab that's instantaneous as soon as they star their attack...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Yeah I'm specifically talking about the OIK. He has a ton of large AoE stuff that punishes being closed, but is trivialized by being far away (or especially behind the corner). Hell, you can't even hit him in melee a good amount of the time, and he's straight impossible to circle-strafe. Meanwhile on my miracles playthrough I easily beat him on my second attempt (on my first attempt I discovered there is a hole in the platform).

Seriously as a fast-attacking dex character I might as well not even put my sign down.
He's piss easy as a melee character too. My first attempt I also discovered the hole in the platform. My next attempt he died, because every time he tries to hit you just dodge through it and hit his arm.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh man the second Dragonrider fight is hilarious, these guys are such chumps. The first one died to 4 great lightning spears, the second was down in 5 attacks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

It's understandable that they're not great, you aren't supposed to see them up close and the entire area is pitch black for the most part. Still though, that's creepy as gently caress. The Gutter/Black Gulch are my favorite areas in the game aesthetics-wise.

I love how the walls are constantly crawling in the gutter :stare:

evilskillit posted:

After getting hit by the free hit a lot, the only thing I can figure is one of the spider's rear legs that's clenching onto the hollow's waist comes loose and stabs you. Or maybe that's just random limb flailing from them moving around, but that's what I think it is. A waist level rear leg stab that's instantaneous as soon as they star their attack...

Yeah you can kinda see the attack, but its definitely wonky.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ravenfood posted:

He's piss easy as a melee character too. My first attempt I also discovered the hole in the platform. My next attempt he died, because every time he tries to hit you just dodge through it and hit his arm.
I disagree that he's easy as a melee and he's just so much easier as a ranged character, but whatever. Getting hit twice kills me, and from range I have to massively misposition to get hit at all.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 8, 2014

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oh man the sun sword rules. Everyone with their twinblades and whatever never expects such a tiny sword to pack such a strong, unrelenting punch.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Elysiume posted:

Wait, what? As a caster it was waaaaaaaaay easier to get in close and hit him when he tried to slam you. I still died like 4 times to him because I wasn't magic spamming but I got a number of really solid hits in just by rolling properly. Still died in one hit but that wasn't a problem if my dodging was up to par.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

loving :aslol: that's great.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
gently caress hexers forever in PvP.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I love how the walls are constantly crawling in the gutter :stare:

Yeah you can kinda see the attack, but its definitely wonky.

That's just slime. It's like watching paint dry but it never does. I don't get what they were going for with the Gutter, it's just a bunch of platforms suspended in a black void. There's the refuse pillars but it's not like that stuff is unique to the area. It's kind of like 5-1 or Blighttown except they stopped at the platforms and just forgot to add the rest.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think its important to remember that on release, Dark Souls featured a ring that so long as you were at medium weight, allowed you to use an improved fast roll. If you put in just enough vit to get down to the mid roll you could be cartwheeling in Havel's. This was eventually changed because of how horribly broken it was.

So there is SOME hope that things will be rebalanced. On the other hand, the DLC spells were broken forever so who knows.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Can I break Santier's Spear by standing in the acid pools in Grave of Saints?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I disagree that he's easy as a melee and he's just so much easier as a ranged character, but whatever.
He's probably easier as a ranged character, sure, but just...roll. I don't know what to tell you. But then, I also struggle really hard on some enemies that people blow through while I have never had a problem with Ceaseless (or OIK) even without cheesing him. I just didn't understand the point. Big, telegraphed attacks with a well-defined hitbox that tracks poorly and comes in slowly? Even better, as long as you have the health to survive one hit, you've got more than enough time to drink an Estus without any chance of getting hit because his hands just sit there for a while.

Two-hand your weapon and start beating on him!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's just slime. It's like watching paint dry but it never does. I don't get what they were going for with the Gutter, it's just a bunch of platforms suspended in a black void. There's the refuse pillars but it's not like that stuff is unique to the area. It's kind of like 5-1 or Blighttown except they stopped at the platforms and just forgot to add the rest.

If you talk to the Laddersmith guy he basically tells you the pit is where people throw all their garbage, corpses and surplus statues. So I guess the Gutter is Majula's landfill basically.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I really like Velstadt. I thought he was a cool-looking and fun boss.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Annath posted:

Can I break Santier's Spear by standing in the acid pools in Grave of Saints?

No, the pools just damage armor and rings. Best way is to kill a bunch of enemies on top of each other and then hit the corpse pile.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
As a general rule the souls games depend FAR too much on just waiting for recovery animations. It's deeply dull and although I understand there is some strategy to the conesquences of this it is mostly a deeply trivial way of beating any larger enemy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

If you talk to the Laddersmith guy he basically tells you the pit is where people throw all their garbage, corpses and surplus statues. So I guess the Gutter is Majula's landfill basically.

I get that but I'm talking aesthetically. There are no huge corpse/trash piles, just the pillars. Other than those and the platforms the area is a giant, empty chasm. You get to the bottom and there's nothing there. The visuals do not reflect the explanation given. I expected more is all.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I really like Velstadt. I thought he was a cool-looking and fun boss.

Also has the best music in the game, up there with Gravelord Nito's theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em5gtDJcFqM

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Around what value does agility start to drop off? I had 100 agility in my first run and that worked well. Does it start to drop off in effectiveness soon past that?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Domattee posted:

No, the pools just damage armor and rings. Best way is to kill a bunch of enemies on top of each other and then hit the corpse pile.

Another way is joining the rat covenant, heading down to the doors of pharros, and just wailing away on a big guy who's friendly to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

Around what value does agility start to drop off? I had 100 agility in my first run and that worked well. Does it start to drop off in effectiveness soon past that?

120 is the cap, but yes after 100 or so the benefits apparently are minimal.