Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The Traveling Merchant sells a fishing rod sometimes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

Maybe I'm just dense, but I can't figure out how you actually get a fishing rod. Is it found in chests? The angler doesn't sell anything, and nothing I bring to the guide seems to make one.

You can make one out of wood, I saw it in a crafting menu on a pretty much brand new character. I think it just required wood at a crafting bench.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
You also need some bait like a worm. There are different tiers: wood, iron and demonite.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Man, an in-game options menu? Ambient creatures and nature sounds? The ability to have blocks retain their damage for a while, so you can chop 14 times at a tree trunk, miss once because an enemy hit you, then go back and hit the tree properly and have it break instead of resetting all your previous chops? Hell, they even made the old, much-despised "grass block buried beneath a bunch of dirt blocks" graphic into something pleasing, instead of a garish green patch.

I'm sure some of these features aren't new, but I skipped the last update so please forgive my ignorance. But wow. Huge steps!

E: Also, oh god, smart cursor isn't that useful in most situations, but when adding/removing bg walls it's a gift from god. Just stand in place and hold down LMB and the whole room gets taken care of.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 9, 2014

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So there's a new NPC who spawns on the beach near the oceans. He doesn't sell anything, but he gives quests to catch particular fish. I don't know what he can give yet.

Edit: Oh poo poo, the pirate is selling sail for free, quick, get some stacks of it before it gets patched to have a value!

Akett fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 9, 2014

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Got the slime mount, nice update really dig the new stuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Found a GIF that illustrates the smart cursor:

Goddamn this is so useful. Note the mouse cursor itself never moves.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

According to the wiki there's a new boss. In order to summon him you need to get a particular worm from the hardmode mushroom biome, then fish using the worm.

E: Oh, the worm was mentioned in the changelog...

Akett fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 9, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

New sequence break: you can catch a 100% pickaxe that doubles as a muramasa-lite fishing in the ocean. I had a reinforced rod (needs iron) and some fireflies.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Has anyone else had problems with the angler? I made a new world, found him, he ran off the map and I couldn't reach him anymore, I made two new worlds and there's no angler in either of them. And yes I went to both beaches in those maps.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

King Doom posted:

Has anyone else had problems with the angler? I made a new world, found him, he ran off the map and I couldn't reach him anymore, I made two new worlds and there's no angler in either of them. And yes I went to both beaches in those maps.

Build him a house.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

King Doom posted:

Go back and forth on the beach a few times and he should show up. Once you've spoken with him he shows up on the NPC housing list thing.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Thanks for the replies, but these are newly created and different worlds. I know you need to find him on the beach and wake him up for him to become available, but he isn't spawning to be woken up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

King Doom posted:

Thanks for the replies, but these are newly created and different worlds. I know you need to find him on the beach and wake him up for him to become available, but he isn't spawning to be woken up.

I've found him twice, both in already-generated worlds. In both cases, he was floating on top of the ocean. Just go to the ocean, run across it and swim back and forth across the surface if you have the merman outfit.

edit: Watch out, you take fall damage in mine carts, whether or not you have wings or something equipped that would normally prevent that.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 9, 2014

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Just fired up a new world after this 1.2.4 patch yesterday. I have not played for some time, and am still exploring the things changed in 1.2.3. I was happy to see the addition of stairs from platforms, and was hoping it would solve the long suffering NPCs being unable to use platform stairs.

So far it seems ok, I've spied my Guide hopping up them to gaze out the window then back down again at night. The second set of stairs I added did seem to give my dye guy a bit of trouble as he stood around doing the pee-pee dance when I moved him to his new home. Are there any good visual (or otherwise) guides to 1.2.3 stairs and NPC navigation? It has long been the bane of my building existence to have to confine these idiots to cells.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Any tips to finding bait? Fishing is a bit annoying when I can barely find anything to fish with.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Tombot posted:

Any tips to finding bait? Fishing is a bit annoying when I can barely find anything to fish with.

The rocks on the grass that you need to smack with a pick to remove can spawn a worm fairly frequently when destroyed. Butterflies and fireflies also work and aren't too hard to find around your base area.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Apparently jellyfish have bait power, but I have no idea how you catch them. Net doesn't work.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Has anyone figured out how to make switchbacks with the minecart rails yet? I've tried using a pressure plate rail followed by a bumper rail/boost rail but apparently hitting that bumper is just enough to consider me "off" the pressure plate so I just end up immediately hitting the pressure plate a second time sending me back the way I came. It's really aggravating. Do any wiring whizzes here know if it's possible to introduce a short delay before a mechanism can be activated again?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Cicadalek posted:

Apparently jellyfish have bait power, but I have no idea how you catch them. Net doesn't work.

They act as random fish you can catch while fishing, but only during hard mode. I have no idea why, I just want to use a net.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How do you get a foothold in hardmode now that you can't just facetank The Destroyer with a spear or dao of pow? I have a full adamantite set but the mech bosses just shred me.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Four pirate invasions, no golden fishing pole. Anyone managed to get it?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Hummingbirds posted:

Four pirate invasions, no golden fishing pole. Anyone managed to get it?

It is a reward from the fishing NPC, according to the wiki. You get it after 50 quests.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

dis astranagant posted:

How do you get a foothold in hardmode now that you can't just facetank The Destroyer with a spear or dao of pow? I have a full adamantite set but the mech bosses just shred me.

If you've been collecting traps and heart statues you can build a killing tower. Do it right and a blind monkey trained to hit random keys can kill the destroyer.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

benzine posted:

It is a reward from the fishing NPC, according to the wiki. You get it after 50 quests.

Goddamn, I'm almost positive that it said pirate invasion earlier today. Playing after an update sucks until everyone figures out what's going on. Thanks.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Hummingbirds posted:

Goddamn, I'm almost positive that it said pirate invasion earlier today. Playing after an update sucks until everyone figures out what's going on. Thanks.

Update, got it after with the NPC. After 25 you receive other fishing line that let you fish in hell.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

King Doom posted:

If you've been collecting traps and heart statues you can build a killing tower. Do it right and a blind monkey trained to hit random keys can kill the destroyer.

I've seen exactly one heart statue in all the years I've been playing.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

I've seen exactly one heart statue in all the years I've been playing.

I've some extras if you want them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I might just go looking around to see if I can spot one and use that to justify TGSEing more than I'll ever need :v:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Has anyone found a good way to farm worms yet? Fishing feels kind of tedious. The actual activity is relaxing enough, but I've caught exactly one quest fish, and it was the wrong one. This is using potions, worms, and the mechanics fishing pole too. Quest fish show up so rarely that I'm never sure the pool I'm using is in the right biome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Quests change daily and quest fish are only supposed to show up on the day they're relevant, so warp back to town anytime you catch a quest fish and hope he takes it. As for worms, I've had more luck with fireflies and grasshoppers, since worms only come out in the rain. Having an NPC nearby increases the rate of bait spawns, since they're critters.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 10, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cicadalek posted:

Has anyone found a good way to farm worms yet? Fishing feels kind of tedious. The actual activity is relaxing enough, but I've caught exactly one quest fish, and it was the wrong one. This is using potions, worms, and the mechanics fishing pole too. Quest fish show up so rarely that I'm never sure the pool I'm using is in the right biome.
Bait is easy to come by near your town, because as dis astranagant said, they count as critters. But yeah, bait is not nearly as rare as it first seems: you can get huge clouds of butterflies showing up seemingly at random, fireflies come out at night, crickets can be found frequently just by cutting tall grass, as can worms. Plus, worms come out in great numbers when it rains (especially around your town), and they also pop out when you break those decorative rock clusters that show up on the ground from worldgen. Add to that bait is only sometimes consumed when you fish, even on a successful catch.
Also this is just what I've heard, but if you get a lot of junk catches (shoes, seaweed, tin cans) it means your fishing hole is too shallow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Apparently the best spammable bait pretty much requires you to hallow your town if you want a lot of it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

dis astranagant posted:

Apparently the best spammable bait pretty much requires you to hallow your town if you want a lot of it.

If you have surface hallow near your town, just run through there at night. I've definitely caught a few lightning bugs that way. That said, worms aren't that much less effective than the lightning bugs are very common now. I know I also got a small stack of 'apprentice bait' with my first quest that had 15% power.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

"not that much less" is a bit of an understatement when the range on bait (which determines how likely you are to pull good stuff like gold crates and the weapon fishes) only goes to 50%, 35% if you aren't getting real lucky with quests.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So after a bit of testing I can give my personal anecdotal confirmation to something: fishing holes need to have at least 300 blocks of water, it seems, and the farther from that they are, the worse their yields. I can't tell if it affects bait power itself or just replaces real catches with junk, but after filling an underground pool that was around 200 to start with 300+ blocks, it went from frequent junk and slow catches to frequent catches and no junk. Caught a couple crates in a row even, using the corruption rod and worms as bait.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

So after a bit of testing I can give my personal anecdotal confirmation to something: fishing holes need to have at least 300 blocks of water, it seems, and the farther from that they are, the worse their yields. I can't tell if it affects bait power itself or just replaces real catches with junk, but after filling an underground pool that was around 200 to start with 300+ blocks, it went from frequent junk and slow catches to frequent catches and no junk. Caught a couple crates in a row even, using the corruption rod and worms as bait.

That sounds like a real gently caress you to small worlds unless you really like huge pump systems.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

That sounds like a real gently caress you to small worlds unless you really like huge pump systems.
Did they change it so pumps don't generate slightly more output than input?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Probably not, I just hate setting the stupid things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well you only need two pumps per reservoir to generate liquid, just wire them up, connect to a timer and wait. Maybe have the output pour over a few blocks to try speeding it up.

• Locked thread