Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Stopped by the Lego store today hit their pick a brick wall to finish some of my minifig displays.

Simpsons Completed.

Series 10 and 11, almost done, missing figs should be in the mail.

Series 5 and 6 are complete.

Not shown is my Series 7 and 8 which I think I'm missing one or two from each but should be in the mail as well. The Movie figs you can see in the background are also almost complete. I've also tried to keep the color of the main bricks the same as the color of the packaging they came in.

I also picked up the Cinema modular while I was there too, will start that guy this week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Well Manicured Man posted:

Is it just me, or do the Lego-ized Simpsons look better than the actual Simpsons minifigures?

Nope, they are gently caress ugly in the cartoon and frankly the entire episode looks visually terrible.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Picked up five Simpsons figs. No duplicates, but no Milhouse.

Krusty
Nelson
Flanders
Homer
Marge

They're all ugly as gently caress and I'm not spending any more money blind bagging. I'll just buy a drat Milhouse off eBay.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

PriorMarcus posted:

Nope, they are gently caress ugly in the cartoon and frankly the entire episode looks visually terrible.

Yeah my enthusiasm for watching a new episode for the first time in years went straight over a cliff after watching that trailer. I guess not everything can be Lego movie quality :v:

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp
How often does this happen to you? I'm tinkering with some bricks the other night to occupy my hands while I'm watching television. I set down a yellow 1x2 brick for literally one second, and it vanishes when I go to pick it up again. My first thought is that it's trapped in the folds of my clothes. so I stand up and flatten out the creases to see if anything falls out. Then I look around the immediate area to see if maybe the piece took a bounce and landed a short distance away. Then I rolled the area rug that I was sitting on to see if it had somehow gotten trapped under a corner. Then I... well, you see where this is going.

This afternoon, I made a methodical sweep of the area where the brick went missing, and I turned up nothing but large quantities of dust. It leads me to one of two possible conclusions:
  1. The piece skittered across my hardwood floor on some highly improbable trajectory and is now behind a piece of heavy furniture.
  2. I am misremembering how many yellow 1x2 bricks that I originally started with, and the missing piece never existed.
I don't know why losing a 1x2 brick would cause me so much grief since it's not as though they're rare. Maybe it's just the way that it seemed to just vanish that bothers me. Can anybody recommend some simple methods to try to locate this piece?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I must interrupt the Simpson's Minifig talk to tell you some news.

Brickslopes was awesome!

You can now resume Simpson's Minifig talk.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

I must interrupt the Simpson's Minifig talk to tell you some news.

Brickslopes was awesome!

You can now resume Simpson's Minifig talk.

Nice haul! I'll probably pick up a Cinderella's Castle if I see it on sale; it's got some pretty good rare parts in it. Kinda uninspired trophies, though; the trophies I usually see are small, neat builds that represent the category.

What's the Lego Movie figure in the ziploc on the left?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
poo poo I thought I could finish the sandcrawler today because the from bricks to bothans guy said it took him 6 hours. I spent probably a bit more than that and I think I might be halfway through, just finished the ramp and ramp-area crane. It is loving brutal, especially the treads. At least the rest of it should be building more fun stuff. Also I enjoyed the rear of the vehicle, the greebling is intense but it looks great.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

mattfl posted:

Not shown is my Series 7 and 8 which I think I'm missing one or two from each but should be in the mail as well.

Ever get that evil robot I sent you way back when?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Pyroclastic posted:

What's the Lego Movie figure in the ziploc on the left?

It's just regular Emmit. The trophies are that way because the event is new, and they didn't want to ask anyone to front the pieces for individualized trophies. That may change next year, but honestly I like these, and the prizes more than equal a unique trophy. My wife is trying to lay claim on Cinderella's Castle but I wanna be a pretty princess, dammit!

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I defintely believe Al Jean that they conceived this episode without collaborating with Lego. The animation war nowhere near as good as the movie's, and the Emmet and Wyldstyle getting wheeled around at the end looked noticeably shoehorned in at the last moment. That said, holy poo poo was it nice to watch a Simpsons episode with an actual soul again for the first time in forever.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I finally picked up the Lego Movie video game a little while back during one of Target's sales and just got around to playing it. It's actually a bit of a departure from the usual Lego video games--EVERYTHING is brick-built in-game; previous games typically had terrain and lots of other things not-Lego. Everything in the game is conceivably buildable.
The game uses footage from the movie liberally, but does not have the same VAs in the game segments; sometimes it's pretty noticeable. It's much more linear than other Lego games, urging you on through the story, but it does let you go back to the hub worlds whenever you want. There's not as much to do in the hubs as there is in, say, Lego City Undercover, but more than in the Star Wars or Indiana Jones games. Lego City Undercover is a more polished game, since its release date wasn't tied to a movie, but it's still been a pretty solid game. I'm a level or two from the end, but then I've got all the post-story stuff to grab once I have all the character types unlocked.

Curiously, during the Cloud Cuckoo Land segment, when Emmet is talking with the assembled Master Builders, Milhouse is deliberately blurred out.

I haven't seen the Simpsons episode, but I thought it was strange in the trailer that none of the studs had the Lego logo on them. It made it seem like generic bricks.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pyroclastic posted:

I haven't seen the Simpsons episode, but I thought it was strange in the trailer that none of the studs had the Lego logo on them. It made it seem like generic bricks.

I think this is just the lovely animation.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

PriorMarcus posted:

I think this is just the lovely animation.

It is very odd that there are no Lego logos on any bricks, I don't remember seeing any Lego logo's during the episode. I don't think they ever even said Lego during the movie. At first I assumed this was just another copyright case with parodies and Fox not useing Lego to try to avoid being sued, but (at least in the trailer) the this is called the "Lego (R) spectacular" episode, and it is sponsored by the Lego group.

I own a few Lego video games, all are older for the PS2 and they do not show the Lego logo on the studs, in fact I would say the video games I own have an almost identical style to the Simpsons episode. That leads me to believe that rendering the Lego Movie must have taken far longer than the time/budget requirements for the Simpsons episode. Or Fox might have simply wanted a more toy/cartoonish look and chose to make the bricks obviously look fake/rendered.

Spoilers: MTV lists "all 52" easter eggs in the Simpsons Lego episode But in my opinion, they left out the most important one: "you mean like decals? while the Orthodox don't use them, but we're a reform congregation" *sticks window decal on wall*

VVV Well, maybe rendering the logo would not take much more power, but the Lego games never render the logo on the studs for some reason (possibly because the PS2 couldn't handle it). But the movie also had photo-realistic lighting, and scratches and poo poo on the surface of the brick, the movie scenes looked more like photos of real Lego than the Simpson's episode, so I assume rendering power was a factor. As for cable compression, I don't watch enough cable TV to know if that would be an issue at all, I know watching NFL football you see every blade of grass on screen in glorious HD. My cable also has a ton of snow on Fox, every other channel is clear so I haven't bothered to try to fix it :downs: .

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 5, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd think they left the logo off the studs because it doesn't really matter and could only serve to add noise in any area where they'd be visible (especially given how heavily cable compresses video, it'd turn into a big jpeg artifact). It wouldn't have measurably influenced render time for the video to have them in.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Crotch Fruit posted:

Spoilers: MTV lists "all 52" easter eggs in the Simpsons Lego episode But in my opinion, they left out the most important one: "you mean like decals? while the Orthodox don't use them, but we're a reform congregation" *sticks window decal on wall*

quote:

32) Behind the reverend is a long brown block that seems a lot like a LEGO crucifix.
What a horrible article.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is pretty amusing that a brick puller is their object of worship.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
My favorite reference which was not in the article was that the stained glass in one section of the church was a duck, the wooden duck which is the very first Lego toy.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Stopped in a walmart while out of town and they had a completely full box of Simpsons minifigs. Some rear end in a top hat had gone through over half of them with a knife, cutting the packages open but leaving the parts. I figured if you went through that much trouble destroying property you would probably steal it too, but I guess he was looking for a certain one and couldn't be bothered with the rest. I grabbed a dozen or so and had a manager eyeball me while I was feeling up the sealed bags because I'm the problem apparently. :rolleyes:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I think blind bags ate dumb as hell and I'd cut them open if I thought I'd get away with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

I think blind bags ate dumb as hell and I'd cut them open if I thought I'd get away with it.

Yeah, remember this?

http://brickset.com/sets/0012-1/Space-minifigures

Go back to that you assholes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

xzzy posted:

Yeah, remember this?

http://brickset.com/sets/0012-1/Space-minifigures

Go back to that you assholes.

Themed waves like 'Space' or 'Castle' would be good, but I'd also just prefer the original mix of various characters/whatnot.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

With the amount of cut open bags I've seen in Walmarts I bet its not hard.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

So I was cleaning out my desk and found a lovely, cheap 'Top Secret' camera disguised as a soda can. I was about to throw the thing away when I saw a tiny LEGO logo on the corner of the box and a 2002 copyright. Apparently this was an actual LEGO product back before the corporate restructuring that removed most of this tat.

I'm not so sure I want to throw it out now -- I own a piece of LEGO's terrible product planning and marketing! I also find myself wondering who thought this made a good gift idea for me when I was a kid :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

It is pretty amusing that a brick puller is their object of worship.

Well, considering what they did to Jesus...

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 6, 2014

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

Neurion posted:

So I was cleaning out my desk and found a lovely, cheap 'Top Secret' camera disguised as a soda can. I was about to throw the thing away when I saw a tiny LEGO logo on the corner of the box and a 2002 copyright. Apparently this was an actual LEGO product back before the corporate restructuring that removed most of this tat.

I'm not so sure I want to throw it out now -- I own a piece of LEGO's terrible product planning and marketing! I also find myself wondering who thought this made a good gift idea for me when I was a kid :colbert:

First....WTF Lego?

Second, had it not been for poo poo like this, they wouldn't have restructured and turned themselves around.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I've been hitting up the local Fred Meyers and other stores for the past couple weeks looking for Simpsons figs, and finally found a virtually-unmolested box at a Walmart. I got 11 uniques from just the right side of the box and had my 16 before I was halfway through the middle row.
Turns out I was only 15/16, though. One of the first ones I felt had a pointy head, so I assumed it was Burns. I felt around more and found a thin cylinder, and assumed it was the rod. Later I found a baseball bat, so I knew I had a Nelson. I should've checked that rod in the Burns bag more, because it turns out I duped Nelson and didn't get a Burns. I even felt the Blinky fishbowl in a bag later and put it back since I thought I already had a Burns.

Anyone up for a Nelson-Burns trade?

Tips:
Itchy (the mouse) has a squishy head; the ears are prominent and easy to bend inside the bag.
Scratchy's axe is easily identifiable.
Bart's head is a narrow cylinder and you can feel out the spikes in the hair with your fingernail. Also his skateboard and the wheels have very obvious bag feel, but might be hard to feel amongst the paper and stand.
Ralph's head is squat and very rounded and smooth. Also has a 2x2 tile.
Wiggum's head has a large flat surface with a sharp edge. Has two small accessories.
Marge's hair is blatantly obvious.
Nelson's head has a prominent pointy lip, but the bat is the clincher--feel for the grip and knob at one end.
Burns also has a pointy head, and a thin featureless bar and a standard minifig head as the fishbowl.
Lisa and Maggie have effectively identical heads. Lisa's saxaphone is pretty obvious, and Maggie's bear is a strange-feeling blob.
Apu's signature part is the cup; a small cylinder only about 1 brick high.
Ned's easiest to ID from the toolbox. A long, squat rectangle with a handle on one long side.
Krusty's hair is easy to feel out. Pointy and on both sides. If you can flex the hair, though, it's actually Itchy. The pie is another good thing if the head's being awkward; fingernail for the ridges along the edge.
Milhouse is kinda non-descript. Feel for the 2x2 tile and then check the head to make sure it's not Ralph.
Abe's also got a 2x2 tile, but his head is pointy and has a very obvious small cluster of spikes on one end.
Homer's the only one with a 1x2 tile, and his head is a lumpy cylinder with one rounded end. You might be able to feel the donut (the only 1x1 round tile in the set), but it's small enough to get lost among other pieces.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

ChesterJT posted:

Stopped in a walmart while out of town and they had a completely full box of Simpsons minifigs. Some rear end in a top hat had gone through over half of them with a knife, cutting the packages open but leaving the parts. I figured if you went through that much trouble destroying property you would probably steal it too, but I guess he was looking for a certain one and couldn't be bothered with the rest. I grabbed a dozen or so and had a manager eyeball me while I was feeling up the sealed bags because I'm the problem apparently. :rolleyes:

I am completely surprised they didn't just steal the parts if they went to the trouble of cutting.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Someone is selling their entire Lego collection.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191162849564

All 150kg of it. Sorting alone took three months! (full time five days a week(?)) :o:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tedkncLTzI

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
The Chima constraction figures (the fire and ice ones) are only being sold in Europe this time round, perfect. Just another nail in the US-LEGO coffin...

I sincerely hope that NA somehow gets them.

On the hunt for Krusty, Burns, and Milhouse today. Wish me luck!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
If anyone has a spare Krusty I have a Bart and Lisa for trade. Like, I'd trade both for Krusty if that'd help.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Zorglorfian posted:

The Chima constraction figures (the fire and ice ones) are only being sold in Europe this time round, perfect. Just another nail in the US-LEGO coffin...

It might be temporary. At the same time lego is priced the cheapest in the USA, if you have a limited number of units you can make with the factories you have and you have a choice of feeding the american market, which pays 20-40% less for lego or the European market which is priced much higher. I understand each country has different trade rules, tariffs, costs of living but the bottom line lego is more likely to make more per unit in europe than america.

Now, all lego needs to do is wait for people in america to complain then lego can decided if they want to invest in more factories or just bump the price of american lego so they are making the same amount of profit.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

My minifig luck finally ran out. I ended up with an extra Ralph tonight. If anyone needs him and wants to trade for Milhouse, Apu, or Nelson, send me a PM.

Other than that, the series is awesome.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My brother is a radiation oncologist and one of his co-worker's nine-year old kid made a lego linear particle accelerator.

You know, in case your mini-figs get cancer.

:3:

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

So on my bricklink orders I pick up any decently priced Classic Space torsos that the store has. The ones below arrived today. I paid $1.50 for each torso with my order from Hungary. Black Classic Spacemen are really hard to find, it was my first order of one and happy that I don't have to worry about trying to find a decent one. The Blue is just icing on the cake, as I already have a handful of them. Sorry for the really yellow picture, phone cams suck.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ltr posted:

So on my bricklink orders I pick up any decently priced Classic Space torsos that the store has. The ones below arrived today. I paid $1.50 for each torso with my order from Hungary. Black Classic Spacemen are really hard to find, it was my first order of one and happy that I don't have to worry about trying to find a decent one. The Blue is just icing on the cake, as I already have a handful of them. Sorry for the really yellow picture, phone cams suck.

Just know that both black and blue spacemen have recently been re-released.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=852535-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=852753-1

It's easier to get them with good-condition torsos thanks to those Vintage sets. Take a classic black helmet from a faded ~$8 25-year-old minifig and put it on a ~$4 new minifig, and you could swing a $15 buy.
I can't recall if the Vintage minifig sets had the paint on the neck like the classic torsos would have, though...

I should start doing that, though. I want more classic space minifigs.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I need to get a picture of it for you guys before they change the display, but at our store we have one of our display windows dedicated to displays that the local LUG(Adults who build stuff out of Lego brick) group has made. This month we have been displaying "Ice planet revisited" which is pretty drat cool.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Pyroclastic posted:

Just know that both black and blue spacemen have recently been re-released.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=852535-1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=852753-1

It's easier to get them with good-condition torsos thanks to those Vintage sets. Take a classic black helmet from a faded ~$8 25-year-old minifig and put it on a ~$4 new minifig, and you could swing a $15 buy.
I can't recall if the Vintage minifig sets had the paint on the neck like the classic torsos would have, though...

I should start doing that, though. I want more classic space minifigs.

Not too worried about if it's reissue or not, it was more picking up a black classic space torso before they disappear. As of right now there are only 4 torsos left on Bricklink and they are all in worse shape than what I received. There are about 20 old and reissue black classic space of various quality starting at $7(with modern helmet) Ran me about $2.50 to build this one from parts so still quite happy with it.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I apologize if this was already discussed but why does Mr. Burns have a weird gummy head? Would his nose be dangerous to children if cast in ABS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

May the 4th haul arrived a day early!