Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

There's a general policy against hotlinking images. So, it wouldn't surprise me that people just abide by that, because even if this thread were some exception, how would you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

That's great but I'd prefer if we didn't rationalize nickel and diming authors and artists by responding to links to an authors webpage with a rehosted image and alt-text devoid of context. You think their comic is funny, okay. Meanwhile you just cut the kneecaps out from under someones entire business model, one they probably rely on for food for a 2-second chuckle.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

AriadneThread posted:

There's a general policy against hotlinking images. So, it wouldn't surprise me that people just abide by that, because even if this thread were some exception, how would you know?

This thread is not an exception. It is encouraged to post images and content. Nobody is taking anything away from Whomp by posting an update here and encouraging people to actually click the site rather than just saying "oh well this update is fun" and no other content.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
But... this is word-of-mouth advertising? It's not like the link has been removed or that this is a substantial portion of the archives. One of the best things that can happen for a comic is that audience members raise its profile by sharing it with potentially interested communities.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rei_ posted:

Reading SFP as someone who has spent a lot of time in University, all I can think about it is how content-less her presentation is.

Honestly, SFP is at its best when it does away with the college drama framing and gets down to business with the direct consequences of superheroing. The whole chapter with Feral was the best the comics ever been because it directly attacks the inherent nature of a comic book setting, but this whole tortured ring of gyges metaphor is rapidly outstaying its welcome. Similarly, I dunno if its supposed to be intentional that Alison sounds like an automated tumblrbot until someone cracks her facade but her conversation with her sister last chapter was pretty bad until the "nobody is special" snap.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It might be a bit different if we were posting Whomp every day so you never went to the site at all, but if anything we're probably posting too few images in here, not too many. Comics are a visual medium, and seeing what people are talking about can have a huge influence on making you want to read it.

Since Pick just asked about Strong Female Protagonist, let's see some of it!

SFP is a comic about superheros.

Except, actually, the main character has decided that being a superhero is kind of dumb, because she's not really doing that much good for the world by just punching people.

Unfortunately, she feels like that's all she's really good at.

She's trying hard to change the world, but even if you're invincible and have super strength, changing the world isn't easy. Strong Female Protagonist is about someone whose only tool is brute force trying to find another way to make things better, while simultaneously trying to have some kind of semi-normal life.

Some dudes still get punched, though, don't worry about that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

AriadneThread posted:

'Hotlinking' means linking to the file on the author site and screwing with their bandwidth. Thankfully, I didn't do that!

As for pros and cons of occasionally posting updates into the thread, others have already explained my view on that.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

idonotlikepeas posted:

It might be a bit different if we were posting Whomp every day so you never went to the site at all, but if anything we're probably posting too few images in here, not too many. Comics are a visual medium, and seeing what people are talking about can have a huge influence on making you want to read it.

I was about to pipe in with a contrary response about how links should be enough, but then you posted all those pages from SFP. I follow this thread (even if I don't post much) because the phone app makes it easy, but up until this point, nothing that has ever been said about SFP in this thread has made me even remotely interested in reading it until just now. So thanks for that, gonna add it to my binge read list.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Awesome. I hope you enjoy it. :)

I think we're all united in our desire to not take money away from hard-working cartoonists, which is why we're not posting links in here to zipfiles of every SFP strip or anything like that (and why we talk about Patreons and products and shops and such). Just a matter of finding a good balance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The alt-text of that Whomp comic raises the strip's most haunting question, how Ronnie is able to keep his rent paid.

My guess, secret Hawaiian shirt sales magnate. The ways in which he acquires stock are dark and terrible.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In the many years all the webcomic threads on SA existed since the beginning of whenever I don't think a single creator has ever popped up and said "stop posting my comic you're taking views away from me." A lot of creators have accounts here and post occasionally and there are several threads devoted to them.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

There have been issues before (I mean, years ago) where somebody would start reposting their favourite comic every time it updated. That is pretty dickish and it's still something people do on some other forums, so I'm glad we avoid it. Realistically, though, ad revenue from individual pages isn't what keeps a comic afloat in the long term. It makes way more sense to let (free) pages go out into the wild and bring new readers home to your archive/store/patreon than it does to hoard every potential page impression.

On the most basic level, I'm way more likely to click through from one full page of art and narrative that engages me than from twenty nondescript links reassuring me I'll like what's on the other side.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

7c Nickel posted:

:black101: :rock: BRUTALISM UK! :rock: :black101:

I wonder why the band has the Trellick Tower on their poster, even though they are supposedly not celebrating mid 20th century concrete architecture.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

al-azad posted:

In the many years all the webcomic threads on SA existed since the beginning of whenever I don't think a single creator has ever popped up and said "stop posting my comic you're taking views away from me." A lot of creators have accounts here and post occasionally and there are several threads devoted to them.

These forums are pretty good about using imgur or waffleimages or whatever else to rehost a page, and discussion always sends traffic to your site regardless. The Penny Arcade forums are a long-time offender in that regard- its great that they like your stuff but they tend to hotlink every page everyone posts so everyone sees it in their referrals. I think its cool that people share and enjoy your work in a way where new people can seek out more of it but rehosting images is a bandwidth courtesy (or a holdover from the early days where bandwidth was more of a premium).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
owlturd is a comic. Sometimes the strip answers a submitted question. Sometimes it does not. I find the end result to be endearing.

Q: Would you kiss me if I gave you $100.00?

Q: you make me smile when I'm sad - thanks, shen *kisses your cheek*

Check out owlturd.

Yes, I'm a rebel.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Alopex posted:

Nimona then. Nimona now.

I totally forgot that they have a king and I am now very worried about him.

:rip:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I always liked the whole "The King is dead. Long live the King!" thing because it implies the transfer of kingship is instantaneous and then I start thinking about how you might send faster-than-light messages through the murder and subsequent resuscitation of a king and then I'm reminded that the news that a king is dead and there is a new king can only travel as fast as light which makes the whole thing moot.

Physics: it prevents regicides.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So in Poppy, Friedrich has shown up and while it's quite possible that my vision and ability to process imagery are failing me, that Friedrich fellow looks like he has only one arm.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ofaloaf posted:

So in Poppy, Friedrich has shown up and while it's quite possible that my vision and ability to process imagery are failing me, that Friedrich fellow looks like he has only one arm.

Correct? He's always only had one arm. A bit earlier he used magic to summon another arm, but he's only ever had one physical one. He normally covers it up with his dress uniform though. Seen here, I think it's fairly apparent.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 8, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Phy posted:

I always liked the whole "The King is dead. Long live the King!" thing because it implies the transfer of kingship is instantaneous and then I start thinking about how you might send faster-than-light messages through the murder and subsequent resuscitation of a king and then I'm reminded that the news that a king is dead and there is a new king can only travel as fast as light which makes the whole thing moot.

Physics: it prevents regicides.

Wasn't this a Dinosaur Comic?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ofaloaf posted:

This has always been the case. His lack-of-arm has usually been obscured by his stylish half-cape though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

Wasn't this a Dinosaur Comic?

It was in a Pratchett novel.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Correct? He's always only had one arm. A bit earlier he used magic to summon another arm, but he's only ever had one physical one. He normally covers it up with his dress uniform though. Seen here, I think it's fairly apparent.

Green Intern posted:

This has always been the case. His lack-of-arm has usually been obscured by his stylish half-cape though.

Well poo poo, guess I'm not a master of observation. Figured that one full shot in that linked page was just him with his right arm behind his back, in a sort of hoighty-toighty noble pose.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ofaloaf posted:

Well poo poo, guess I'm not a master of observation. Figured that one full shot in that linked page was just him with his right arm behind his back, in a sort of hoighty-toighty noble pose.

It's okay, I thought exactly the same thing. I see it now though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

It was in a Pratchett novel.

Quite possibly both.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

quote:

Many, many months ago, the one and only bullet on my character notes for Friedrich was just the sentence, "Cool dude: performs Capoeira-esque moves, BUT WITH SWORDS"

Friedrich: basically Raiden?

I have no idea if foot-thumbs is another weird marsupial fact or just something about this guy; based on the comic so far though I'm guessing it's the former.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pick posted:

It's okay, I thought exactly the same thing. I see it now though.

It's worth noting that when he diced up that other fake princess, he used magic to manifest two arms from the stump. Ricky don't give a gently caress about symmetry.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
The raddest dream

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I need Octopus Pie to do another straight goofy story again because I can already tell this night is going to be horrible for Will.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dangerous Person posted:

I need Octopus Pie to do another straight goofy story again because I can already tell this night is going to be horrible for Will.

First it turns out that Hanna and Marek aren't the unbeatable power couple for the twenty-first century. Now are we going to find out that Will can't beat up an entire party worth of bros all by himself?

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Dangerous Person posted:

Yeah, I get crazy stressed out whenever I read the current comic :(

SoupyTwist fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 9, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nimona: oh dear the next chapter is the last. :ohdear: That scares me more than anything.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In other news, Tom Siddell and Zack Morrison are teaming up to destroy the hearts of their mutual readers :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rand Brittain posted:

First it turns out that Hanna and Marek aren't the unbeatable power couple for the twenty-first century. Now are we going to find out that Will can't beat up an entire party worth of bros all by himself?

It's pretty clear that everyone's life is changing, could be that whatever happens next makes Will give up dealing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rei_ posted:

Reading SFP as someone who has spent a lot of time in University, all I can think about it is how content-less her presentation is.

well, that got explained in todays comic

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Now I'm just hoping she doesn't have the presence of mind to go for step three. :ohdear:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Anybody else still waiting for an RPGWorld update?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Didn't that end like 10 years ago?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ian J has moved on to bigger and better things. Hero got a cameo in a recent episode of Steven Universe. We're very proud of him, officially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Didn't that end like 10 years ago?
That joke killed in 2005.

• Locked thread