Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Scrapez posted:

Looks great. I'm planning a canoe purchase so I'll probably be building one of these soon.

Nice job!

What kind of canoe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What kind of canoe?

Looking at either an old town saranac 146 or a mad river adventure 14. There's a used Adventure on craigslist with paddles, motor mount and trolling motor for $500 that I think I'm going to go look at.

Thoughts on either for fishing/recreational padding with the wife?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'd go with the Old Town myself. Partly out of brand loyalty (my kayak is an Old Town and I've paddled several Old Town canoes) and partly because of the more traditional design. The Saranac is more open throughout, making it easier to pack and unpack if you do any overnighters, or to walk around and access stuff while you're in the boat. It'll also probably be a little more maneuverable and easier to paddle in reverse (necessary if you ever solo it) than the Mad River. The Mad River has a few too many bells and whistles for my taste, but I like a simple boat. They're probably equally stable.

Either one is good, though. Both are very solid brands. Check out reviews on paddling.net for them and buy used if you can find one in good shape. The Old Town Discovery series are also excellent boats; older ones are a little heavier. I plan on getting a Discovery 14 eventually for paddling with the lady and/or dog.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully this Monday I am going to drag a friend out to give me a quick "into to kayaking" lesson. There are a ton of places near me to put into the various rivers that feed the Chesapeake and a distinct lack of good places to shore-fish.

I have my mind set on getting a small, like 10-11', sit on top. I want something light as some of these put-in spots are a pretty long hike from the nearest car access point. I am a pretty fat dude, like 220lbs, I know this will limit what kind of boat I can get but I would really like to keep it as small as possible. I also have huge storage issues at home, this thing is going to have to live under my house or in a hammock between two trees off in the woods. I would also like something on the cheap end, I want to see how often I realistically use this thing before I drop a grand on one. A cheap one will also be easier to sell when/if I decide to upgrade.

I would love any recommendations you guys mig have. So far all the places around here that rent them only rent sit-in models so I think I am going to have to purchase blind.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bunnielab posted:

Hopefully this Monday I am going to drag a friend out to give me a quick "into to kayaking" lesson. There are a ton of places near me to put into the various rivers that feed the Chesapeake and a distinct lack of good places to shore-fish.

I have my mind set on getting a small, like 10-11', sit on top. I want something light as some of these put-in spots are a pretty long hike from the nearest car access point. I am a pretty fat dude, like 220lbs, I know this will limit what kind of boat I can get but I would really like to keep it as small as possible. I also have huge storage issues at home, this thing is going to have to live under my house or in a hammock between two trees off in the woods. I would also like something on the cheap end, I want to see how often I realistically use this thing before I drop a grand on one. A cheap one will also be easier to sell when/if I decide to upgrade.

I would love any recommendations you guys mig have. So far all the places around here that rent them only rent sit-in models so I think I am going to have to purchase blind.

What's your local Craigslist location?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

What's your local Craigslist location?

Annapolis, MD. But I usually have decent amounts of free time during the week so any of the MD or northern VA ones are doable.

I assume to move one home at first I can just use packing blankets and straps? I have been loading trucks my whole life so I like to think I can hillbilly rig one and not destroy it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This one is a decent price if it's in good shape, especially since it's already rigged and has a paddle. A little short, but that means maneuverability. Probably doesn't track super straight, but it seems good.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/spo/4432871424.html

This one is worth $550 brand new at Dick's, so you might try to talk Bubba down $100 or more if he'll keep the trailer.
http://delaware.craigslist.org/spo/4433965772.html

This one is worth $500 new, so I'd call him immediately if it's not too far away. If it is in fact the Ascend FS10.
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/spo/4430154220.html

All have good weight capacity for you. The Wilderness Systems one has the least at 300# max, but it's the nicest, lightest, and has some nice upgrades. The Ascend is the cheapest, newest, and probably more stable than the Wilderness Systems.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 24, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

This one is a decent price if it's in good shape, especially since it's already rigged and has a paddle. A little short, but that means maneuverability. Probably doesn't track super straight, but it seems good.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/spo/4432871424.html

This one is worth $550 brand new at Dick's, so you might try to talk Bubba down $100 or more if he'll keep the trailer.
http://delaware.craigslist.org/spo/4433965772.html

This one is worth $500 new, so I'd call him immediately if it's not too far away. If it is in fact the Ascend FS10.
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/spo/4430154220.html

All have good weight capacity for you. The Wilderness Systems one has the least at 300# max, but it's the nicest, lightest, and has some nice upgrades. The Ascend is the cheapest, newest, and probably more stable than the Wilderness Systems.

Holy poo poo man, thanks! I am out of tone until Sunday but I might be able to get my gf to go buy that $200 one, that seems like a gamble worth taking.

Edit: Is sit-in ok for fishing? It seems almost every post I see about kayak fishing talks about sit on top ones.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 24, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've only ever owned a sit-in, and fished out of it from day one. It's an Old Town Voyager 111 and I'd recommend it. No frills, no hatches, just a straight up shell. Loads of space. I've packed it down with at least 70 lbs of gear (in addition to my ~160 lbs) for long river trips with no issues. It's awesome for fishing out of. Not stable enough to stand up and pee out of in open water, but there's ways around that.

snugglebunny
Aug 21, 2004
go to hell
I got given a brand new Lifetime 10' sport fisher kayak this past winter and it's really good for heavy people. I weight 250lbs and I can stand up on it and fish without much trouble. I'm not sure I would have paid retail for it but maybe you can find one used. It's got a 500lb weight limit, so plenty of extra capacity for gear.
http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Fisher-Paddles-Backrests-10-Feet/dp/B004EEM87G

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Your cart looks pretty good. When I bought my Malibu I got talked into the C-tug I think it's called. It's actually really sweet, makes dragging my yak around pretty easy, and it all breaks down and gets thrown into my gator hatch compartment.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I just got back from a really cool fishing experience. I am down in South Eastern Minnesota and was driving past a boat launch on the Mississippi backwaters this afternoon and saw the water was WAY up. The whole launch is underwater, including the parking lot and the adjacent park.

I went back there at about 9 PM tonight with my chest waders and started tossing some jigs with plastic Pulse-R's hoping to catch a few walleye. I ended up catching 4 walleye, the biggest being about 15", but missed two NICE fish, as well as a bunch of others I just didn't get a good hook set on. It was pretty eerie, there was actually current in the flooded parking lot and tons of minnows and stuff swimming around. A muskrat came and checked me out a few times as well. All the fish I caught were up above level of the boat launch, so I was seriously catching them in the parking lot, it was crazy!

I think I'm going to go back tomorrow and cast around in the park for some northerns.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Floods are the best, when they're not threatening your house. You can catch all kinds of weird poo poo. I always like getting a buddy and a seine and pulling it through flooded areas, all sorts of fish come up into the margins. You got a cast net you could throw?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have broken (just barely) the 12" mark!

Got him like 3 feet off of shore, was not at all expecting the hit. Almost fumbled the rod.

There are so so many larger perch top feeding outside the range I can cast a light lure out to. I have been practicing casting in the field behind my house but I still can't get a light lure out far enough.

Question: Is there anything on the artificial side that is close to bloodworms? I would love something I can leave in my car for quick after work trips.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 4, 2014

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Catching pan fish like crappie and white bass, I love my trusty Road Runner lures with a soft body on the end, super cheap and very efficient lures that get pretty great results.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Recently I've had the most luck with panfish using those little beetle spinnerbaits, or i'll just do carolina rig thing with splitshots and a small plastic grub or something on a normal unweighted hook (not a jighead). Unfortunately I lost my micro lite spinning combo that bass pro shops no longer makes. That thing could cast the lightest poo poo next to a fly rod

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005
Here is our pile o' fish from the gulf a few days ago. Pictured are amberjack, scamp, beeliners, a red grouper, some white snapper, and an almaco or two. Jacks ate live cigs, smaller fish ate squid or bonito pieces.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Kid Golbez posted:

Jacks ate live cigs
I'm picturing someone taking a last drag, looking at the still-lit butt, and saying, "This oughtta be good for sumptin'", putting it on a hook, and throwing it in the water.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Kid Golbez posted:

Here is our pile o' fish from the gulf a few days ago. Pictured are amberjack, scamp, beeliners, a red grouper, some white snapper, and an almaco or two. Jacks ate live cigs, smaller fish ate squid or bonito pieces.

Nice! Hopefully that was a charter, if not how long did it take to clean all those fish? lol. The best part about really good long days of fishing is getting home way too late, completely exhausted, and then cleaning the boat, all your gear, and a huge pile of fish. Usually on a Sunday.

The last month or so of fishing & spearfishing the Atlantic and the Everglades has been way too good to me including a couple of personal bests, lots of dinner, and too much fun. Heres some photos that point out that I ridiculously always wear the exact same thing fishing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kid Golbez posted:

What is it about some saltwater fish that makes them look so... solid? Whatever those big brownish-silver fish are, the kind of tuna-looking ones, they just don't look as floppy as some? Tuna are this way too, they just don't bend.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Look at those weak rear end fish. This is a real fish.

Hcnyl
Mar 7, 2014
So I have seem to have hit a slump can not seem to catch anything lately. I am a freshwater fisherman(mostly lakes and ponds) from Virginia primarily after bass, crappie, and bluegill. Does any one have any suggestions to break my slump. Here is one from a while back

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I caught my first bass today, I believe a smallmouth?

I went to this little park at noon today after work and headed to my ususal spot on the bank to catch some small bluegills. Somehting hit my line and almost ripped it from my hands. I fought it in and when I pulled it out of the water it was a bass maybe 9" long. Sadly, as I was scrambleing down the bank to get closer to the water to land him, he broke my line right a the hook.

The water I was fishing is a weird little lake that meanders like a river. I was fishing a spot maybe 14' across and 3-4' deep. I was not at all expecting to hook anything other then my usual 3-6" bluegills. The water was so clear, I could see Mr Bass swimming around with my hook in his mouth. I spent maybe 2 hours trying to catch him again to remove the hook but he never bit again. He also was driving all the bluegill away from my bait. Right as I was about to leave I saw another bass next to him, but maybe 3-5" bigger. He would also not bit on anything I cast. The bottom here is totally clogged with logs and smaller branches so I am really limited to what I can cast without getting snagged every time.

I gave up on the bass and went to a small bridge on the same lake to go after more bluegills. I caught a few then landed this litte guy.

I dropped a piece of bait in his mouth when I let him go and told him to bring his friends back but the jerk just left.

Given my ability to catch only the smallest of fish, I have decided to start recording them to see what the smallest I can get is.

I hereby claim the title of "Smallest fish caught on a hook, SA Fishing Thread 2014". Please sent my trophy along asap.

Bonus Gross poo poo:

Saw this jammed in a spillway and fished it out:

It looked flesh like but even after sitting on the shore for like 2 hours there were no flys on it so idk. Anyone have an idea what this thing is?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

bunnielab posted:

I caught my first bass today, I believe a smallmouth.

The water I was fishing is a weird little lake that meanders like a river. I was fishing a spot maybe 14' across and 3-4' deep. I was not at all expecting to hook anything other then my usual 3-6" bluegills. The water was so clear, I could see Mr Bass swimming around with my hook in his mouth. I spent maybe 2 hours trying to catch him again to remove the hook but he never bit again. He also was driving all the bluegill away from my bait. Right as I was about to leave I saw another bass next to him, but maybe 3-5" bigger. He would also not bit on anything I cast. The bottom here is totally clogged with logs and smaller branches so I am really limited to what I can cast without getting snagged every time.

Check out Texas rigged worms for a weedless way to fish that. Since it is so narrow and shallow, I'd go without a weight. Just hook and Texas rigged worm without the bullet weight.

bunnielab posted:

Bonus Gross poo poo:

Saw this jammed in a spillway and fished it out:

It looked flesh like but even after sitting on the shore for like 2 hours there were no flys on it so idk. Anyone have an idea what this thing is?

I'm pretty sure you've found Buffalo Bill's human skin suit from Silence of The Lambs. If someone asks you to help load a couch in their van around there, RUN!

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Got a new casting setup for my birthday today. Pumped to rip some lips with this thing. Almost bought an all Abu setup but I liked the shimano stuff more.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

bunnielab posted:

I caught my first bass today, I believe a smallmouth?

Not sure if the first one looked like this one, but this one is definitely a largemouth. Sometimes they are colored somewhat similar, but largemouth are normally greener and have the black horizontal stripe down their body. Smallmouth are often a brownish/bronze color with vertical markings.

I think the true way to tell is to look how far back the jaw reaches though, a largemouth's lower jaw will extend well past their eye(like the one in your pic), a smallmouth's lower jaw will extend about to the middle of the eye.

Bass love feasting on small bluegills though, especially largemouth, so it's not a surprise to find them that shallow, especially if there are small gills there :).

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Got a new casting setup for my birthday today. Pumped to rip some lips with this thing. Almost bought an all Abu setup but I liked the shimano stuff more.

That's sexy. My main stick is a MH crucial with a stradic fj 3000. It's nice and I bet that rod is gonna cast amazing and be super sensitive yet powerful and exciting with a fish on the other end.

Here's what I caught on mine tonight ;):

30" redfish in 8" of water! Never caught one this big this shallow. Easily over 10 pounds.

26" snook. though it wasn't that much shorter than the red it was probably half it's weight.
It ate the pink and chartreuse mirrodine my girlfriend picked out a couple weeks ago:

This is skinny water red fishing:

The tailing redfish are finally here :). I am lucky as hell to live 5 minutes away from a flat that will have tailing reds from now until September. I also opted for a fly setup over a tarpon rig so now I have a TFO BVK and RIO redfish line on the way and I already received a Lamson Velocity 3x I ordered for barely over the price of a decent cast reel since it's being discontinued. Initially I wanted to just go cheap on the reel but for only $175 I got a fully machined reel with sweet sealed drag that weighs only 5.1 ozs! I'm super stoked about the rig and hope to be posting pics of redfish caught on the fly in the next couple of weeks.

The lonely reel awaits it's rod and line. Being a cheapskate, I ordered my 8wt TFO BVK from Stillwater Fly shop online for the same price as can be had locally ($260) because it came with a free fly line, I chose Rio Redfish which would have cost another $80 and they also threw in 200 yards of 20lb backing, a $15 value. The tradeoff is I have to wait a couple weeks to get it since it comes from TFO to them first.

Here are a few of the fish I caught in March and early April. Unfortunately these are taken on an iPhone 4 and sometimes no one is around to take the photo.

More typical year around depth of 2-3'.

Of course there are many more little ones than big ones that we stop to snap pictures of. Although some days like today, only big fish are caught. In addition to the 2 fish at the top of this post one of my fishing buddies landed his personal best snook of over 40" on the outer sandbar a half hour before i caught my redfish. I want to get the picture from him but it was simply beastly, one of the biggest snook I've seen caught wading.

When it rains later in the week I want to fish a spillway for my first tarpon.

IM FROM THE FUTURE Nice loving fish! I'm jealous man. Can you recommend a decent waterproof camera for less than $300? I'd like something to take better fishing pictures while I'm wading or SUP fishing. It would also be cool while snorkeling in the keys.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bunnielab posted:

Given my ability to catch only the smallest of fish, I have decided to start recording them to see what the smallest I can get is.

I hereby claim the title of "Smallest fish caught on a hook, SA Fishing Thread 2014". Please sent my trophy along asap.
Somewhere I have a picture of a ~3" bass that I caught on a ~2" long crankbait a few years ago.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

That's sexy. My main stick is a MH crucial with a stradic fj 3000. It's nice and I bet that rod is gonna cast amazing and be super sensitive yet powerful and exciting with a fish on the other end.

The tailing redfish are finally here :). I am lucky as hell to live 5 minutes away from a flat that will have tailing reds from now until September. I also opted for a fly setup over a tarpon rig so now I have a TFO BVK and RIO redfish line on the way and I already received a Lamson Velocity 3x I ordered for barely over the price of a decent cast reel since it's being discontinued. Initially I wanted to just go cheap on the reel but for only $175 I got a fully machined reel with sweet sealed drag that weighs only 5.1 ozs! I'm super stoked about the rig and hope to be posting pics of redfish caught on the fly in the next couple of weeks.

IM FROM THE FUTURE Nice loving fish! I'm jealous man. Can you recommend a decent waterproof camera for less than $300? I'd like something to take better fishing pictures while I'm wading or SUP fishing. It would also be cool while snorkeling in the keys.

Thanks. Florida Reprezent! Obviously Florida is just the jam on both coasts... Awesome fish! Jealous of those reds and that fly rod, planning on doing more red / trout / drum fishing in flamingo soon. Currently rebuilding my dads old inshore boat and will be taking that down there quite a bit once finished. Ive wanted to get into saltwater flyfishing for forever but neve have enough quality regular tackle to justify. Fly fishing is fun and its even more fun away from obstructions. Fishing the flats with a fly on a SUP sounds like a fun rear end time.

We sure are lucky bastards. I feel sorry for the people who live here and dont take advantage of the best part,

Best camera hands down is the olympus tg-2. waterproof to 50ft, battery that lasts forever, and takes great pictures.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 13, 2014

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I have an Olympus Tough 3000 point and shoot I keep in my vest, or I'll carry a GoPro on a mount on my net.

Also the Litespeed owns. I'm ordering a Konic and extra spool for my in-progress 6 weight.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Ended up returning the shimano crucial for a G.Loomis after much debate. The action is pretty similar but the GLoomis has a cork handle and looks like sex. Its a 7 foot stick with a short but making it 6'8".

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 13, 2014

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005

Nice! Hopefully that was a charter, if not how long did it take to clean all those fish? lol. The best part about really good long days of fishing is getting home way too late, completely exhausted, and then cleaning the boat, all your gear, and a huge pile of fish. Usually on a Sunday.

Actually it was just a pleasure trip, we were looking to replenish our depleted freezer. Everyone on the boat was capable of cleaning so it didn't take too long. I fish from Orange Beach, AL and am quite envious of your water clarity over there. I am so bummed out about trigger season closing already.

Pham Nuwen posted:

What is it about some saltwater fish that makes them look so... solid? Whatever those big brownish-silver fish are, the kind of tuna-looking ones, they just don't look as floppy as some? Tuna are this way too, they just don't bend.

Part of it is because those particular fish, amberjack, are pretty stout. Another factor is that they were packed in ice from the moment they hit the boat. I am a big believer in getting fish cold immediately. It keeps the flesh firm and tasty. All the time I see people skimp on the ice, especially with oily fish like mackerel, and the result is unappetizing mush.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks. Florida Reprezent! Obviously Florida is just the jam on both coasts... Awesome fish! Jealous of those reds and that fly rod, planning on doing more red / trout / drum fishing in flamingo soon. Currently rebuilding my dads old inshore boat and will be taking that down there quite a bit once finished. Ive wanted to get into saltwater flyfishing for forever but neve have enough quality regular tackle to justify. Fly fishing is fun and its even more fun away from obstructions. Fishing the flats with a fly on a SUP sounds like a fun rear end time.

We sure are lucky bastards. I feel sorry for the people who live here and dont take advantage of the best part,

Best camera hands down is the olympus tg-2. waterproof to 50ft, battery that lasts forever, and takes great pictures.

Hell yeah, Florida is awesome and it's sad when coworkers complain about just going home tired and hoping to do something fun on the weekend.....I've been doing 10 hour days at the office and still getting 2 hours of fishing in afterwards when I feel like it.

Ended up returning the shimano crucial for a G.Loomis after much debate. The action is pretty similar but the GLoomis has a cork handle and looks like sex. Its a 7 foot stick with a short but making it 6'8".

drat that was quick! G.Loomis has some nice rods but how does the warranty compare? My crucial has a no questions asked over the counter warranty, which I can say from experience is truly OTC. I've walked in with a broken rod and my receipt and walked out with a brand new crucial twice now (first one was the old model with IM9).

I actually need to buy a backup flats rod for my GF to use since my friend drunkenly broke my Ohero rod last weekend. I like the St. Croix mojo in shores in medium light a lot but the warranty isn't great. I may get a Shimano Clarus or something just so I can get a lifetime OTC warranty. It's seriously nice to have.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Armed Neutrality posted:

I have an Olympus Tough 3000 point and shoot I keep in my vest, or I'll carry a GoPro on a mount on my net.

Also the Litespeed owns. I'm ordering a Konic and extra spool for my in-progress 6 weight.

Two votes for the Olympus, I'll definitely have to find somewhere to check it out.

The Litespeeds look pretty sweet but I've read of an easily bent frame due to the extreme milling and the price is more than I want to pay. I actually bought a Lamson Konic 3.5 two saturdays ago, but literally drove back and returned it 30 minutes later and went online and ordered the Velocity 3x for a total of $20 more (including shipping). Now I have a fully machined super light but strong reel that should last years and years and looks SO much sexier than the Konic, which honestly looks cheap in person and doesn't match many rods well. I know that's purely aesthetic but being lighter, fully machined and coming with the Hard Alox finish it is a much nicer reel. Even though they have the same drag I noticed on the Konic when I loosed drag to max it became a little harder to crank in (as in to retrieve). When I tightened the drag a bit it loosened up, but it felt kinda cheap. On the velocity no matter how loose or tight the drag is set, the retrieve feels smooth and consistent. A minor detail as many people like their Konics.

For your 6 wt, why not pay an extra :10bux: and make the jump from cheap cast reels up to fully machined pieces? This would be way sweeter: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lamson-velocity-reel-v2~p~75749/?filterString=fishing-reels~d~188%2F&colorFamily=31

I received mine on the 5th business day after ordering from STP. *Full disclaimer* I still haven't actually fished my reel but I have spent many minutes fondling it ;)

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Hell yeah, Florida is awesome and it's sad when coworkers complain about just going home tired and hoping to do something fun on the weekend.....I've been doing 10 hour days at the office and still getting 2 hours of fishing in afterwards when I feel like it.

drat that was quick! G.Loomis has some nice rods but how does the warranty compare? My crucial has a no questions asked over the counter warranty, which I can say from experience is truly OTC. I've walked in with a broken rod and my receipt and walked out with a brand new crucial twice now (first one was the old model with IM9).

I actually need to buy a backup flats rod for my GF to use since my friend drunkenly broke my Ohero rod last weekend. I like the St. Croix mojo in shores in medium light a lot but the warranty isn't great. I may get a Shimano Clarus or something just so I can get a lifetime OTC warranty. It's seriously nice to have.

The warranty is the same on both, but after pool casting with the GL2 im not sure I like the action as much. I might go back to the crucial despite not liking everything about it. The action and sensitive tip was too nice.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 14, 2014

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The warranty is the same on both, but after pool casting with the GL2 im not sure I like the action as much. I might go back to the crucial despite not liking everything about it. The action and sensitive tip was too nice.

Just googled it and Gloomis has a lifetime warranty but it only covers manufacturers defects. Usually those make themselves known in the first few uses or after a few fish. The crucial (at least the inshore versions) has a no questions asked warranty. I have literally walked into the store I bought it from and said hey my rod broke I need a new one and then walked around and grabbed a brand new one off the shelf and walked out.

I don't want to make this thread our personal back and forth so I'll leave now and go back to watching fly cast videos long after I should have been asleep.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

tesilential posted:

For your 6 wt, why not pay an extra :10bux: and make the jump from cheap cast reels up to fully machined pieces? This would be way sweeter: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lamson-velocity-reel-v2~p~75749/?filterString=fishing-reels~d~188%2F&colorFamily=31

I received mine on the 5th business day after ordering from STP. *Full disclaimer* I still haven't actually fished my reel but I have spent many minutes fondling it ;)

I actually saw that reel on STP and wanted to order but I need to find a spare spool for it too. I love the hard alox coating myself. :)

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Just googled it and Gloomis has a lifetime warranty but it only covers manufacturers defects. Usually those make themselves known in the first few uses or after a few fish. The crucial (at least the inshore versions) has a no questions asked warranty. I have literally walked into the store I bought it from and said hey my rod broke I need a new one and then walked around and grabbed a brand new one off the shelf and walked out.

I don't want to make this thread our personal back and forth so I'll leave now and go back to watching fly cast videos long after I should have been asleep.

Yep further research also says shimano is in store and loomis is mail in. Im re-sold. Basspro is gonna hate me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Pham Nuwen posted:

Marine fish that do a lot of sustained high-speed swimming have some version of that really stocky, inflexible body shape. It's basically huge muscle groups that all put a shitload of power into the tail and peduncle. They all swim in what's called thunniform (literally, "like a tuna") motion, and only move roughly the back third of their body. Most freshwater fishes have more of an anguilliform (eel-like) swimming form. They don't need to be so specialized for swimming long distances at high speed against ocean currents, and their bodies are more flexible for, say, poking around in the weeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marine fish that do a lot of sustained high-speed swimming have some version of that really stocky, inflexible body shape. It's basically huge muscle groups that all put a shitload of power into the tail and peduncle. They all swim in what's called thunniform (literally, "like a tuna") motion, and only move roughly the back third of their body. Most freshwater fishes have more of an anguilliform (eel-like) swimming form. They don't need to be so specialized for swimming long distances at high speed against ocean currents, and their bodies are more flexible for, say, poking around in the weeds.

Can you relabel that image with "slower action" on the left and "fast action" on the right? lol

Aren't you the resident fisheries biologist? I had a biology degree but only got to study fish in the very last chapter of my Limnology textbook. I was pissed, thought the entire class was about fish in ponds but apparently there were much more important things to study like turbidity and other crap I don't care about and long since forgot. Also my university had 8000 students enrolled in biology programs but only offered a Marine biology every spring semester and it only seated 10 students. :( Majoring in biology was the worst.