Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Chunderstorm posted:

I didn't even know Blue Flame existed; I'll have to farm for one. Thanks!

The scaling on it sucks. Go for MLGS if you want the best INT scaling. And as I said, git gud at parry and guard break. The special ranged attack is really easy to dodge, and the magic damage from melee is really easy to block with a variety of shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ComaPrison posted:

The scaling on it sucks. Go for MLGS if you want the best INT scaling.

It's a poo poo weapon, the trade-off is being able to cast spells with it. There's also a mace that can cast miracles and it is more or less just as lovely.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What's the Hexes 101? I'm thinking of respeccing and using it, but what stats should I aim for and which spells are the good ones? Only using Lightning Spear is getting boring. :(

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I just got summoned by someone who was doing a slavedriver gimmick and was constantly whipping me and fellow phantom's rear as we fought the boss. :v:

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

VisAbsoluta posted:

What's the Hexes 101? I'm thinking of respeccing and using it, but what stats should I aim for and which spells are the good ones? Only using Lightning Spear is getting boring. :(

I'll preface this by saying that effective hexing is more or less an end-game build. If you try to start using it much earlier, you'll be only marginally effective, and a faith/miracles build will be superior at that point.

Here's a minimum starting point if you want to be able to use hexes practically for PvP or even PvE. 50 attunement, 60 int, 60 faith. The 60 int is to give you 5 orbs from affinity (vs 4 at 50 and 3 at 40). The faith is because dark scales to the lowest of your faith/int stat. So if you have 60 int and 1 faith, your dark will do basically little to no damage. Same goes for 60 faith with 1 int. Wear black hood, lion mage set, abyss seal ring, clear blue stone ring +2. This should get your cast speed up to 368 with those stats. At high casting speeds, the noticeable improvements seem to come in increments of 50, so you could probably drop down to 350 cast speed with marginal consequences. If you want to hit the soft cap of 110 agility, you'll also want 24 endurance and 24 adaptability on top of the 50 attunement. I also recommend getting 50 vigor and 40 vitality (both are soft caps) for PvP survivability. Higher vit = faster stamina recovery, because higher equip load % decreases stamina recovery. If you don't get the 50 vigor, you'll be really easy to kill.

If you're invading, dead again is a really powerful AOE hex. If your AOE catches dead enemy bodies in its range, it causes them to create their own AOE explosions that are really powerful. Great Resonant Soul is your new Sunlight Spear. Each cast will cost 500 souls, and you'll want an abyss seal ring for +20% dark damage. It'll cost you 30 hp per cast, using that ring, but it's easily the best way to play hexes. Cast affinity with sunset staff or black witch staff prior to the beginning of your engagement, but be wary because it wears off if you take too long. Switch to dark-infused chime of want +5 for casting Great Resonant Soul. If you need to knock down an enemy to get a clear/unblocked shot with Great Resonant Soul, scraps of life has an AOE knockdown effect. Also, learn to roll, guard break, and parry really well or any chump with a rebel's great shield/transgressor's leather shield will ruin your day.

Unless you have a lot of spare brave soldier souls to use as "spare ammo clips", do not bother using Climax. It eats ALL of your souls with one cast (but the damage only scales up to 5000 souls), so you'll want to "reload" it with a brave soldier's soul after each cast. If you don't have any souls, climax does negligible damage. Same goes for Resonant Soul and Great Resonant Soul. Resonant hexes depend entirely on you having souls to burn.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 9, 2014

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Anyone have any tips for farming malformed skulls?:( i've exhausted all the mutants in sinners rise and the one in aldias twice over now, still no skull ; ;. Lots of bell bro armor though, and bows.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I beat the Pursuer and the Last Giant a while ago, but I don't think I actually got their boss souls? I just don't have them anymore for some reason, and I'm pretty sure I didn't consume them since I have a habit of never using any of my soul consumables.

edit: nevermind, I put them in my bonfire box.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did you put them in your item box? Some people do that just to be super sure they don't use them.

edit: Ha!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Regarding Licia, is there any difference between just killing her in the game and killing her by invading?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tabletops posted:

Anyone have any tips for farming malformed skulls?:( i've exhausted all the mutants in sinners rise and the one in aldias twice over now, still no skull ; ;. Lots of bell bro armor though, and bows.

Whaaaat? Like every other time I kill them they drop one. Malformed skulls are supposed to be rare?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Control Volume posted:

Regarding Licia, is there any difference between just killing her in the game and killing her by invading?

You get the Soothing Sunlight miracle if you invade her. Also I think it counts as a sin if you don't invade.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wiseblood posted:

You get the Soothing Sunlight miracle if you invade her. Also I think it counts as a sin if you don't invade.

It does either way, but if you do the later the blue sentinels don't get to invade you. I don't know what happens if you do the former.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Bobnumerotres posted:

Whaaaat? Like every other time I kill them they drop one. Malformed skulls are supposed to be rare?

maybe you could give me some then!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tabletops posted:

maybe you could give me some then!

Farm them with the gold serpant ring and jester mask? They just seem really common, I can't believe you ran out of spawns.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Is there a way to cheese Darklurker? I'm sick of this boss and I've already wasted 10 humanity on him. And as far as I know theres a pretty limited supply of it in this game.
And is it just me or is every single enemy in this game mixed with some gimmick like pitch black, poison or some other affliction on all sides or narrow pathways. I'm getting kind of sick of it, very little of the fighting is enjoyable when the main problem is navigating the terrain.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Fereydun posted:

You don't really need 'em- the game looks fantastic with Durante's DSFix for this game (GeDoSaTo):

What are your settings?

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

ComaPrison posted:

The bracing knuckle ring +2 is also good for your issue.

Yeah my kantanas were breaking well before I'd get to a boss till I started actually using the bracing knuckle ring. When I wear it they never break before I get my free refill from killing a boss or resting at a bonfire.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

garth ferengi posted:

What are your settings?

Default for the tool, I didn't change anything at all from the bog standard GeDoSaTo stuff- just downsampled the shots from 3840x2160.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Still fishing around for a Bat Staff if any of y'all have one. I have katanas and Lucatiel's entire set+sword I can give away for it.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I've summoned Lucatiel to 3 boss fights and won with her alive, where do I go to get her reward?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

bat duck posted:

Is there a way to cheese Darklurker? I'm sick of this boss and I've already wasted 10 humanity on him. And as far as I know theres a pretty limited supply of it in this game.

You can sorta gear the fight, I'm pretty sure all but one of its attacks do dark damage.

The black set from the boss soul trader guy is pretty decent without upgrades, a dark resist ring drops from the witches in the crypt, a multi resist ring from navlaans first task, and some +dark defense consumables from the pardoner.

Just circle around to dodge fireballs and hope you can tank/dodge all else.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

bat duck posted:

And is it just me or is every single enemy in this game mixed with some gimmick like pitch black, poison or some other affliction on all sides or narrow pathways. I'm getting kind of sick of it, very little of the fighting is enjoyable when the main problem is navigating the terrain.

You can farm for humanity's pretty easily in the first section of Shrine of Amana.

For Darklurker get chaos storm, then once you've got it down to 2/3 hp it will try to split in two, run into the middle of it while it does this (you have about 5 seconds) and blast the thing, you should one shot it if your flame is +4 or more. In terms of getting it to that hp all of its attacks are pretty easily dodged, I wouldn't suggest blocking.

For the fire attack just circle around, for the black orb thing watch for the 2nd orb, which fires off an orb at you (it doesn't track you though) for the laser beam just run and get underneath it for a couple of free hits.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 9, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Transgressor's Leather Shield has 90 dark defense.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I've summoned Lucatiel to 3 boss fights and won with her alive, where do I go to get her reward?

She'll show up at the first bonfire in Aldia Keep.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Which is better out of gargoyle bident or chariot lance? I'm looking for something comical to powerstance.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The DS2 pvp scene is the most bizarre thing, most of the time it's all bows and honor but occasionally you get a bunch of people messing around. Well this time, I think the host was trying to do some sort of king of the hill sort of deal where the red phantoms would fight each other, and I killed two phantoms this way before getting bored and started spamming the Very Good wood carving at the host. Then he summons two other people, and what do you know, they all have the Very Good carving as well and we all start walking around dropping this carving everywhere to a chorus of Very Good. Then two of us took off our offhand weapon and started running around punching the host while he ran away in fear from our 11 damage hits until he started hitting back with weapons, at which point we all escalated with a hail of lightning spears.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Which is better out of gargoyle bident or chariot lance? I'm looking for something comical to powerstance.

Chariot Lance; Gargoyle Bident is pretty weak (which is expected, given it's a spear) and doesn't have anything special to its moveset. Chariot Lance is a lance, has a fun moveset, does good damage and even has bleed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nahrix posted:

Writing code for a console with absolutes for hardware, framerate, and control scheme makes you a lazy programmer.

Hey, you can have a properly coded game OR you can have this sweet auto guard button! :shepface:

Does anyone even use those auto buttons?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

What the gently caress, I was standing in front of a Lockstone door in Lost Bastille debating whether I should open it or not, when all of a sudden my character falls through the floor. I don't think it was some kind of trapdoor, because it appeared like I just fell through the world to a place people aren't supposed to be able to see. Plus I went back there and stood on that spot for a while and nothing happened

Worst part is I was on the way back to my 37k soul bloodstain. I know that isn't really a lot, I'm just more annoyed that I lost them to a bug

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Red Red Blue posted:

What the gently caress, I was standing in front of a Lockstone door in Lost Bastille debating whether I should open it or not, when all of a sudden my character falls through the floor. I don't think it was some kind of trapdoor, because it appeared like I just fell through the world to a place people aren't supposed to be able to see. Plus I went back there and stood on that spot for a while and nothing happened

Worst part is I was on the way back to my 37k soul bloodstain. I know that isn't really a lot, I'm just more annoyed that I lost them to a bug

Hey, at least you weren't going for a no-deaths run.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

ComaPrison posted:

I'll preface this by saying that effective hexing is more or less an end-game build. If you try to start using it much earlier, you'll be only marginally effective, and a faith/miracles build will be superior at that point.

[...]

Thanks for the very informative post! When it comes to PvE, I guess those hexes are basically the best ones too?

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 9, 2014

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Nice

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey, you can have a properly coded game OR you can have this sweet auto guard button! :shepface:

Does anyone even use those auto buttons?

They're for people with lovely keyboards that only register 3 buttons at a time.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Where do I go after lighting the Sinner, Freja and Black Gulch fires? I feel like I've been going about things in the wrong order.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

folgore posted:

Where do I go after lighting the Sinner, Freja and Black Gulch fires? I feel like I've been going about things in the wrong order.

Huntsman Copse, the entrance is in the tunnel connecting Majula to Heide's Tower of Flame. Talk to the woman there, if she isn't there then check the bonfire above the Dragonrider boss arena.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I killed the poo poo out of that guy yesterday, he sucks.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Manatee Cannon posted:

Huntsman Copse, the entrance is in the tunnel connecting Majula to Heide's Tower of Flame. Talk to the woman there, if she isn't there then check the bonfire above the Dragonrider boss arena.

I don't even know where that tunnel is nor have I fought Dragonrider yet. I guess I'll check the wiki.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Bobnumerotres posted:

Farm them with the gold serpant ring and jester mask? They just seem really common, I can't believe you ran out of spawns.

I ran out twice, I also used about 15 rusted coins at the same time.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

So much for the language filter.. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Volt Catfish posted:

Still fishing around for a Bat Staff if any of y'all have one. I have katanas and Lucatiel's entire set+sword I can give away for it.

Lol if you're gonna cheese bat staff with dark fog, the least you can do is farm it yourself. I've got one but that's for my own dark fog-abusing.