Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Oh I crunched that data the time before the time before last time this came up in the thread, but I must have deleted it cleaning up my google docs at one point. :( .

You can build it up from this sort of argument:

If odds of drawing a land are x / 53 without fetching and x - 1 / 52 after a fetch, then subtract the ratios to find the decrease in chances of seeing a land:

Say x is 24 for the sake of this example, we're talking 24 / 53 - 23 / 52 = .010, or 1%. Or, 99% as likely to find a land after fetching. This of course compounds each draw, but if you have 8 fetches and always fetch first I think it was like 13 draws or so before that .99^x came to 50%, or that you were as likely or not to have drawn an extra nonland. For the low low price of 3.7 life or something.

It really is negligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DarkRider09 posted:

So this might be a dumb question, but do basic lands need to be from the current legal sets for standard?

Nope! Go ahead and use your white-bordered Revised lands.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Fetchlands with Crucible of Worlds are sweet in EDH. Guaranteed land drops, shuffles on cue, enough deck thinning to actually matter, not overtly obnoxious enough that people will often spend removal on it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

DarkRider09 posted:

So this might be a dumb question, but do basic lands need to be from the current legal sets for standard?

This, by the way, is true of any reprint - you can use Lorwyn thoughtseize in standard, for example.

As an aside, Judge Cast recently did some episodes on types and noted that there's nothing in no rules saying lands are legal to play. If, somehow, WotC neglected to print basics for a couple years, they would rotate out just like any other card. Which makes perfect sense, of course, but it's still sorta funny to think about.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

DarkRider09 posted:

Nope. In fact, none of your cards need to be from any of the current legal sets. They must only have the same name as a card in a currently legal set, e.g.: you can use 7th edition swamp and 7th edition duress.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Boxman posted:

This, by the way, is true of any reprint - you can use Lorwyn thoughtseize in standard, for example.

As an aside, Judge Cast recently did some episodes on types and noted that there's nothing in no rules saying lands are legal to play. If, somehow, WotC neglected to print basics for a couple years, they would rotate out just like any other card. Which makes perfect sense, of course, but it's still sorta funny to think about.

incoming manaless dredge block

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

15 different versions of Ornithopter and Spellbook each, 30 colorless affinity cards.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DarkRider09 posted:

No. In fact, you're encouraged (by me) to use best lands ever whenever possible

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Just saw Judgecast mentioned and it sounds fun, even if I'm not a judge. I also listen to limited resources & drive to work -- what are other good MtG podcasts? I don't really care what formats or topics they cover, with two caveats -- #1, whoever's hosting has to have SOME sort of mic presence/listenable personality , and #2, I started playing pretty recently so I'd like to listen to a show where the hosts don't make a habit out of mentioning cards that came out five or six years ago and expect me to have the card text memorized. I understand this isn't an issue for a lot of long-term players, but I'm not one, and I rarely listen to podcasts while sitting in front of a computer so it's not that easy to look up unknown cards as I go.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

goferchan posted:

Just saw Judgecast mentioned and it sounds fun, even if I'm not a judge. I also listen to limited resources & drive to work -- what are other good MtG podcasts? I don't really care what formats or topics they cover, with two caveats -- #1, whoever's hosting has to have SOME sort of mic presence/listenable personality , and #2, I started playing pretty recently so I'd like to listen to a show where the hosts don't make a habit out of mentioning cards that came out five or six years ago and expect me to have the card text memorized. I understand this isn't an issue for a lot of long-term players, but I'm not one, and I rarely listen to podcasts while sitting in front of a computer so it's not that easy to look up unknown cards as I go.

Spike Feed is a show about two longer players getting someone up to speed who just started. This week they celebrated his first FNM win :3:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Boxman posted:

Spike Feed is a show about two longer players getting someone up to speed who just started. This week they celebrated his first FNM win :3:

Sweet, totally sounds up my alley, thanks~ I'll check it out

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

a dozen swans posted:

incoming manaless dredge block

Come on now, be realistic. I think you mean an all-nonbasic environment.

And they already had that, it was called ISD-RTR standard. :downsrim:

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

goferchan posted:

Just saw Judgecast mentioned and it sounds fun, even if I'm not a judge. I also listen to limited resources & drive to work -- what are other good MtG podcasts?

This article has a bunch of popular ones.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

LordSaturn posted:

Red-Black 8Rack, but that's about it at the moment.

Do you have a list handy? A quick search around mtgtop8 turns up nothing.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

That's what I do!

They were about all I had left from when I originally played a million years ago when I got sucked back in.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Son of a bitch you got me. I do white border forests to go with my white border tron.

Basic Land rotating would be hilarious for all the rules that get basics into your deck. Like your sideboard in limited is the only way to get them, or you put an illegal basic land in your deck, so you have to replace it with a basic land.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Do you have a list handy? A quick search around mtgtop8 turns up nothing.

That's because 8rack is Bg, not Br.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

suicidesteve posted:

For all your ugly land needs: https://sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Saeku posted:

Fetchlands with Crucible of Worlds are sweet in EDH. Guaranteed land drops, shuffles on cue, enough deck thinning to actually matter, not overtly obnoxious enough that people will often spend removal on it.

'Til you draw Strip Mine. :getin:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Mikujin posted:

'Til you draw Strip Mine. :getin:

Yeah, and then they snap concede if you're on modo, promptly calling you a "fag" followed by blocking you.

My modo brothers know I speak hard truths

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is the infinite mana combo if you have 2 myr galvanizers + mana producers out a valid thing or just a really speculative, fragile rube goldberg type setup that fails in practice?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

change my name posted:

Is the infinite mana combo if you have 2 myr galvanizers + mana producers out a valid thing or just a really speculative, fragile rube goldberg type setup that fails in practice?

There are much easier and less fragile ways to get infinite mana, and even more ways to get "enough" mana (usually 21 for a Fireball-type effect)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Okay yeahhh that's what I figured.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tharizdun posted:

A math nerd cruched the numbers and found that except in extreme edge cases (like legacy burn decks that run south of 14 lands) there is no appreciable "deck thinning" advantage to any number of fetches that a regular player playing between 5-15 games a week would notice before the heat death of the universe.

Actual pro tip: If you are "always getting mana screwed/flooded" it's not because you aren't running enough fetches, it's because you shuffle like an idiot and not enough. SHUFFLE MORE.

I think people still believe fetches for deck-thinning is a thing because they've seen mono-red decks running fetches, but forget that it was to fuel Grim Lavamancer or the like.

Deathrite Shaman got good use out of fetches before being banned, too.

change my name posted:

I think people tried that a bit during Scars standard, but quickly realized there's an easier combo of Myr Galvanizer + Splinter twin, and then there was an even better combo of Splinter Twin + Deceiver Exarch. Which was a combo deck that quickly made the jump to Modern, where both halves of the combo have redundancy in Pestermite and Kiki-Jiki, Mirror-Breaker.

change my name posted:

Last dumb question: do those lands that give you two mana in return for having to put a land back into your hand when played have any utility? The effect activates when it comes into play from anywhere, so you can't get around it. Basically 2 steps forward but 1 step back.
There's a combo deck involving those lands and Amulet of Vigor and Explore effects to power out Primeval Titan or something ridiculously quickly, but it's not terribly consistent.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

change my name posted:

Last dumb question: do those lands that give you two mana in return for having to put a land back into your hand when played have any utility? The effect activates when it comes into play from anywhere, so you can't get around it. Basically 2 steps forward but 1 step back.

I'm trying two of those kinds of lands in my EDH deck (the ones that came in the commander deck I bought) because I figure that while it's 2 steps forward and 1 back it's 3 mana for 2 lands as opposed to 3 mana for 3 lands. But "good" lands are expensive and I'm a relatively low budget player so I'll use what I have.

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Entropic posted:

There's a combo deck involving those lands and Amulet of Vigor and Explore effects to power out Primeval Titan or something ridiculously quickly, but it's not terribly consistent.

Yeah, Matthias Hunt played this deck at PT BNG: https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptbng14/video3

It also runs Hive Mind and a bunch of pacts, being able to power out a turn 2 or turn 3 Hive Mind and then force your opponent to pay for one or more Pacts, causing them to lose the game.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Entropic posted:

I think people still believe fetches for deck-thinning is a thing because they've seen mono-red decks running fetches, but forget that it was to fuel Grim Lavamancer or the like.

Deathrite Shaman got good use out of fetches before being banned, too.

I think people tried that a bit during Scars standard, but quickly realized there's an easier combo of Myr Galvanizer + Splinter twin, and then there was an even better combo of Splinter Twin + Deceiver Exarch. Which was a combo deck that quickly made the jump to Modern, where both halves of the combo have redundancy in Pestermite and Kiki-Jiki, Mirror-Breaker.

Ehh, Deceiver Exarch seems much better to me? With Pestermite you can only twiddle non-lands, but with an Exarch you could technically create a ton of creatures as well as give yourself some spare mana if you needed it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

change my name posted:

With Pestermite you can only twiddle non-lands,
read the friendly card :downs:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

change my name posted:

Ehh, Deceiver Exarch seems much better to me? With Pestermite you can only twiddle non-lands, but with an Exarch you could technically create a ton of creatures as well as give yourself some spare mana if you needed it.

The combo is you play Deceiver Exarch or Pestermite on the end of your opponent's turn, then untap and cast Splinter Twin on it. Then you tap it to make a copy, and use the copy's untap ability to untap the original... which you can then tap to make another copy...

You make an arbitrarily large number of 1/4 or 2/1 tokens with haste and attack your opponent for billions.

No need to futz around with generating infinite mana.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 9, 2014

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Huh, I read permanents as "non-land permanents" for some reason. Too bad copies of Splinter Twin are about $20 each now.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Entropic posted:

I've been playing this since it used the old Trinket Mage package (which was a lot more inconsistent than the current iterations). It definitely lacks the consistency of something like Pod, for example, but even without Amulet you can often set yourself up for dropping a 6 CMC Titan or Hivemind on T6 and start putting the gears to your opponent. Amulet just means you can do really strong things, like drop a Titan on turn 1 or 2 and swing for 8. If you draw the "nut" hand you can swing for 20 on turn 1 (I have done this exactly 1 time).

And sometimes you just get a hand that top-decks 1 card perfectly to become hilariously stupid. I have played 4 Titans, given them all +2/+0-Haste-Vigilance and swung for 32 on turn 2. It was really stupid, and an absolutely hilarious draw involving 3 Amulets and 3 Summer Blooms.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Today's Arcana is pretty cool.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Entropic posted:

The combo is you play Deceiver Exarch or Pestermite on the end of your opponent's turn, then untap and cast Splinter Twin on it. Then you tap it to make a copy, and use the copy's untap ability to untap the original... which you can then tap to make another copy...

You make an arbitrarily large number of 1/4 or 2/1 tokens with haste and attack your opponent for billions.

No need to futz around with generating infinite mana.

People being excessive with this is the reason that rakdos charm is a valid sideboard card against twin.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mikujin posted:

It was really stupid, and an absolutely hilarious draw involving 3 Amulets and 3 Summer Blooms.
Oh god. Wait....

The Amulet triggers stack

:stonklol:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tharizdun posted:

Oh god. Wait....

The Amulet triggers stack

:stonklol:

Yes. If you can get 2 Amulets out, playing a Primeval Titan lets you attack for 20 that turn.

ETB Trigger - fetch Boros Garrison + Slayer's Stronghold, use the +2/+0 ability twice.
Attack Trigger - fetch Sunhome + Vesuva, make 4 mana, give it double-strike.

Many a game has been ended this way. Obviously you don't do this all the time; far more often you use triggers to get Growth Chambers and Tolaria's to Transmute for Summoner's Pact and get more Titans.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That's not a squirrel, it's a chipmunk. :colbert:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
What will happen first, Squirrels return to standard or MODO gets a working client?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BXCX posted:

What will happen first, Squirrels return to standard or MODO gets a working client?

Definitely squirrels. I can totally see a Trading Post type card that makes squirrels in a core set.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

I would like some Squirrel throwback cards in M15. Except this time Deranged Hermit will read 'Squirrels you control get +1/+1.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

Definitely squirrels. I can totally see a Trading Post type card that makes squirrels in a core set.

Acorn Catapult or Squirrel Nest could probably go into a core set straight up. Acorn Catapult is a bit convoluted text and application wise but I'm going to say that if they designed it for a Commander box they probably aren't worried about casuals not being able to grok it.

• Locked thread